What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (6 Viewers)

His production has been pretty abysmal
But he's been cleaner for a longer period than any time in recent memory.

I also think he's getting way more defensive attention than any other receiver on that roster.  It's a lot easier for the Phillip Dorsetts of the world when the safties are looking elsewhere.

Makes sense that he won't play Monday @Jets, since the Patriots are likely to win anyways with him or without. 

Cleveland at Home in Foxboro the week after, gotta think Gordon is playing in that football game and will have his "Big Day" perhaps that week before the schedule starts getting a little more challenging. 

Josh Gordon (knee) did not practice Friday.

Gordon is very unlikely to play on Sunday after missing practice all week. That means Julian Edelman and Phillip Dorsett (questionable) will be Tom Brady's top receivers with James White also chipping in. The Patriots are extremely thin at tight end as well -- Ryan Izzo and Matt LaCossee didn't practice Friday either. Consider Gordon week to week.

SOURCE: Patriots.com

Oct 18, 2019, 4:31 PM ET

Gordon is very unlikely to play on Sunday after missing practice all week. That means Julian Edelman and Phillip Dorsett (questionable) will be Tom Brady's top receivers with James White also chipping in.
I wish I didn’t take FF so seriously because I’d love to add Gunner just for the hell if it.

Makes sense that he won't play Monday @Jets, since the Patriots are likely to win anyways with him or without. 

Cleveland at Home in Foxboro the week after, gotta think Gordon is playing in that football game and will have his "Big Day" perhaps that week before the schedule starts getting a little more challenging. 
He better not unless he takes a bubble screen 60 yards the wrong direction. We gave him too many chances for him to do us like that. 😃

Josh Gordon (knee) won't suit up for the Patriots' Monday night matchup against the Jets.

Undrafted rookie Gunner Olszewski is expected to take Gordon's spot in 3-WR sets. The Patriots bumped Julian Edelman out wide with Phillip Dorsett sidelined last week, as Jakobi Meyers ultimately spent 44-of-56 snaps (79%) in the slot. The Jets defense isn't bad; they're one of just 12 units to allow fewer than 5.5 yards per play this season. We wouldn't bet against the league's highest-scoring offense having too hard of a time putting up points, but this isn't a cake walk -- particularly with Sam Darnold back under center. Meyers is the preferred streamer option over Olszewski due to the former receiver's demonstrated chemistry with Tom Brady that dates back to training camp.

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter.

Oct 19, 2019, 4:53 PM ET

Patriots' Josh Gordon: Present for walk-through practice

by RotoWire Staff
(19 mins ago) Gordon (knee/ankle) was spotted at Wednesday's walk-through, Andrew Callahan of The Springfield Republican reports.

Gordon sat out Monday's win over the Jets, but his presence on the field Wednesday suggests that he has a shot to return to action Sunday against the Browns. We'll have to see how the Patriots list the wideout's level of practice participation on Wednesday's injury report, but it appears as though he's in the day-to-day category at this stage. Also practicing Wednesday was newcomer Mohamed Sanu, a player who could end up cutting into Gordon's workload once he's up to speed with the Patriots' playbook

Just as a side note, I personally don't put a lot of stock in who participates in walk-throughs. BB has given his team more rest as the years have passed. He has skipped practices, had extended film review sessions, or opted for walkthroughs with a lot more regularity. Not sure how an injury report when the team really hasn't conducted a regular practice can lead anyone to draw any conclusions about a player's status. Hopefully we will know more as the week progresses, but it wouldn't surprise me if Gordon gets the questionable designation on Friday, is labeled a game time decision, and then ends up inactive at the last minute. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what my spidey sense is telling me at the moment. Burkhead has been living in that exact situation for most of October.

Ugh, I just can't let Joshy Josh go, even as more solid options siren to me from the wire.

:battered-fantasy-owner syndrome:

Cut him once he was announced as OUT last Friday/Saturday. I've chased his story for years but the addition of Sanu and an offense that doesn't throw a ton of deep balls, there really is nothing to feel regret about. He had what seems like looking back, a flukey TD last season where we heard BB on the sidelines asking questions about the TD and that was about the highlight of what we've seen since he arrived in NE last year.  

You can find the same numbers streaming other guys weekly and hoping one of them sticks. 

I was hoping for a solid WR3/Flex option and it just isn't there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit surprised the Patriots haven't tried to move Gordon.

Eagles are starving for a downfield threat.

Ravens need WR help.

Shark Pool can't be the only collection of people still living off of 2013 highlight reels.

I'm a bit surprised the Patriots haven't tried to move Gordon.

Eagles are starving for a downfield threat.

Ravens need WR help.

Shark Pool can't be the only collection of people still living off of 2013 highlight reels.
For what? He's currently injured and is certainly on a rehabilitation plan and could be suspended at a moment's notice. Would there be teams really looking to take that on? Uprooting him now could have very bad outcomes with regard to JG working his program.

Being hurt is probably what is holding him back in NE. The Pats need receivers. So if Gordon gets healthy, he fills one of their biggest needs.

Lol makes me think of that one guy who was spamming the AB thread with constant Gordon takes. That sure was dumb. 

Gordon claims he’s close to returning and so sounds like he could just be done with the patriots and could sign with a new team. 

Rotoworld take:

Patriots placed Josh Gordon (knee) on injured reserve, ending his 2019 season.

Gordon's injury-riddled season comes to a disappointing close as he finishes with merely 20 catches for 287 yards and one score. The team will also reportedly waive him once he's healthy, closing his Patriots career with 60/1,087/4 over 17 regular season games. This transaction explains why the Patriots felt the need to invest a second-rounder in Mohamed Sanu prior to Tuesday's trade deadline. New England will move forward with some combination of Julian Edelman, Jakobi Myers and Sanu primarily working from the slot while Phillip Dorsett stays locked in on the outside. No. 32 overall pick N'Keal Harry also has an easier path to opportunity upon his (pending) Week 11 return. 29 in April, another suitor is fully expected to take a flier on Gordon's incomparable athleticism next year.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 4:22 PM ET

Well - good thing I have an IR in my dynasty. I just couldn't drop him & no one would trade for him. Maybe he lands somewhere nice. Yeah. Imma gonna think happy thoughts bout Josh while he rests on my IR.

Good luck, Josh.

Rotoworld take:

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Josh Gordon (knee, IR) could be waived and available as a free agent "soon."

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer added that Gordon's knee injury is "minor" and the 28-year-old expects to be medically cleared "soon." Gordon would obviously be eligible to sign with another team and play immediately if that occurs. He was reportedly dealing with two bone bruises in his knee before missing practice the past two weeks but was ultimately on his way out for performance reasons after totaling 20/287/1 in six injury-riddled games this season. Even if he's on your bench, it's purely a cross-your-fingers move to keep him stashed and wait for any further reps to occur this year.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 5:34 PM ET

Josh Gordon believes he’s close to returning to play, source says. So his IR designation today means he’s likely done with the #Patriots but could be available for teams as a free agent soon. Very interesting.
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1187114054122397697

So let's talk potential landing spots - assuming the Pats don't just sit on him ROS to play keep away. Honestly, I'm not sure why they wouldn't - his salary isn't an issue, right? So why let him walk onto a contender that might be short on WR help right now?

Anyway, assuming the do cut him reasonably soon, here are the teams I think are starving (or at least fairly hungry) for WR help right now, in order:

1. Raiders

2. Packers

3. Eagles

4. Niners

5. Ravens

6. Broncos

7. Giants

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1187114054122397697

So let's talk potential landing spots - assuming the Pats don't just sit on him ROS to play keep away. Honestly, I'm not sure why they wouldn't - his salary isn't an issue, right? So why let him walk onto a contender that might be short on WR help right now?

Anyway, assuming the do cut him reasonably soon, here are the teams I think are starving (or at least fairly hungry) for WR help right now, in order:

1. Raiders

2. Packers

3. Eagles

4. Niners

5. Ravens

6. Broncos

7. Giants
I just heard a discussion about this on the radio. NE apparently has moved on from Gordon. That’s a topic of its own. For whatever reason, they are choosing to move on. 

By putting him on IR, they can set things up that they waive him AFTER the trade deadline. Based on that timeline, he won’t become available to all teams until AFTER he clears waivers. The waiver order is based on team record, so start with the bottom feeders and see who claims him. Since Gordon only had a $2 million salary, and he allegedly will be healthy enough to play, someone will want him. If he is claimed and someone adds him, I believe that team will also have to take on his contract. So basically it would amount to NE trading Gordon without actually trading him to recoup $1 million in cap space. But the bottom line is Gordon WILL NOT be able to pick his destination unless he goes unclaimed. 

Rotoworld said he was done until next year. Take that with all the grains of salt you want, and it doesn't sound right, but here's the blurb:

Josh Gordon WR, New England Patriots

Gordon's injury-riddled season comes to a disappointing close as he finishes with merely 20 catches for 287 yards and one score. The team will also reportedly waive him once he's healthy, closing his Patriots career with 60/1,087/4 over 17 regular season games. This transaction explains why the Patriots felt the need to invest a second-rounder in Mohamed Sanu prior to Tuesday's trade deadline. New England will move forward with some combination of Julian Edelman, Jakobi Myers and Sanu primarily working from the slot while Phillip Dorsett stays locked in on the outside. No. 32 overall pick N'Keal Harry also has an easier path to opportunity upon his (pending) Week 11 return. 29 in April, another suitor is fully expected to take a flier on Gordon's incomparable athleticism next year.

Source: Field Yates on Twitter

Rotoworld said he was done until next year. Take that with all the grains of salt you want, and it doesn't sound right, but here's the blurb:

Josh Gordon WR, New England Patriots

Source: Field Yates on Twitter

He would be done until next year if NE kept him. But that doesn’t sound like the plan. See my post above. 

Just noticed the Gordon owner in my league dropped him.

Key question: Is he worth picking up?

He hasn't exactly lit it up this season.

I could actually see him retiring.

Just noticed the Gordon owner in my league dropped him.

Key question: Is he worth picking up?

He hasn't exactly lit it up this season.

I could actually see him retiring.
I think you just answered your own question. 

He’s been a WR 4/5 this year, hurt, and has to find a new team.  Unless you have a bunch of bench space I wouldn’t.

I’m dropping and not looking back. 

I got Gordon as a throw in in a deal I just made, before the news that he could still play this year.  He is on my IR for now.

I would deal him but not likely anyone wants him

There is no way Josh Gordon gets cut.  When he signs with another team, the Patriots can qualify for a compensatory pick.  Wide receivers often get paid way more than people expect.  No one has any idea how much Gordon will get on the free agent market.  The Patriots aren't going to miss out on that potential free pick.

Users who are viewing this thread