What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (6 Viewers)

Nobody thinks there has to be a shoe about to drop?  If he's healthy why would the Patriots release him?  Why would he be passed up by 27 teams who could have him for free?  Something stinks.  And again, he hasn't gone a year without failing a drug test since 10th grade.
Almost everybody thinks there is a shoe to drop. Proceed with utmost caution. I won't be picking him up in any leagues. Chris Conley is worth more as a flier in Jax than Gordon in Seattle.

Other thing is Seahawks covet draft picks.   Heard on the radio today that if Gordon can make it through this season without getting suspended, he'll be an unrestricted free agent.   Seahawks could end up with compensatory pick in exchange for the million or so that they'll pay on the rest of this year's contract.  

This just seems to muddy the waters for the targets there.  Gordon probably doesn't rise to the level of startable, but he might drag Locket or Metcalf down a bit. 

Nobody thinks there has to be a shoe about to drop?  If he's healthy why would the Patriots release him?  Why would he be passed up by 27 teams who could have him for free?  Something stinks.  And again, he hasn't gone a year without failing a drug test since 10th grade.
The scuttlebutt in town is that JG was having some periods where his whereabouts were unknown, he was late to team functions, and he did not respond to communication right away. Apparently that went against what the team set up for him and they didn’t like it. Coupled with what had been called a decline in work ethic and a drop in production, that was enough for them to move on. Whether that happened or not is anyone’s guess. That doesn’t mean he had a relapse, but it sounds like he wasn’t sticking to the framework that the Pats had set up for him. That’s the story currently circulating. I always take some of that with a grain of salt, as Boston is notorious for kicking a guy AFTER he moved on not while he was there. 

Pretty run first team for him to end up on… I think he may be sprinkled in a couple of shots again, but I find it very difficult to imagine that this will be the second coming of the legend that is josh Gordon.

This just seems to muddy the waters for the targets there.  Gordon probably doesn't rise to the level of startable, but he might drag Locket or Metcalf down a bit. 
I doubt it. I’m fairly confident that in the majority of sets the Seahawks run it will be Metcalf and Tyler Lockett on the field.

Gordon seems like he may have a role as a deep target in three wide receiver sets if and when the Seahawks are playing from behind, but he also may simply be a decoy to take some of the attention off of Lockett & Metcalf.

maybe I’m way way off here, but I’m not seeing a major role for Josh Gordon. Unless the Seahawks completely change their offense of philosophy, or if they use him as a tight end with the loss of Dissly… But those seem like longshots.

He will mosy likely get cut from 

Seattle just like everywhere else
Ya I agree, he hasn't made it a year without failing a drug test since 10th grade...However, if you have an expendable drop why not stash him?  May get a good week or two out of him.  But the Patriots would have kept him if that was likeliy.  I dropped Stills to pick him up on a short bench (I have Nuk and don't like starting both).

Article paints a pretty rosy picture, but totally dependent on Gordon's willingness to work hard find his passion for football. Maybe the "Patriot way" just wasn't for him... he got a taste of how quickly you go from Tom's favorite toy to slide out da way we just signed Antonio Brown. Maybe he'll just plain like it better in Seattle, maybe he'll flame out. Either way should be good for another 20 pages.

I’m selling this as a Gordon owner first 6 weeks of the season. He had weeks given 9+ targets and was JAG. Couldn’t turn a screen into YAC. Still good physical receiver in contact. While I think he’s a valuable piece to an offense, he’s going to be a TD dependent WR4+

I’m selling this as a Gordon owner first 6 weeks of the season. He had weeks given 9+ targets and was JAG. Couldn’t turn a screen into YAC. Still good physical receiver in contact. While I think he’s a valuable piece to an offense, he’s going to be a TD dependent WR4+
That’s my guess too. Seahawks aren’t gonna 180 on their run-first philosophy & turn into the high flying Cards with this signing, and Metcalf & Lockett aren’t coming off the field. 

for a team that primarily runs 2 wide sets, that doesn’t bode well for a huge target share for a dude like Gordon. Hell, it barely bodes well for Metcalf & Lockett without Gordon. 

I dropped when I heard he was going to be released. If NE, who has a long history of making troubled players work, couldn't make it work for whatever reason, I'm not certain anyone else can. Even if he works out ok, he won't play this week, and it would be wise to see his workshare week 10 before starting him on your fantasy team. Then it's the fi Al stretch of our FF season. Are you willing to take a risk with him? I have better options on j bench if needed. I'd rather take a flier on a lottery ticket or position depth/handcuffs.

I dropped when I heard he was going to be released. If NE, who has a long history of making troubled players work, couldn't make it work for whatever reason, I'm not certain anyone else can. Even if he works out ok, he won't play this week, and it would be wise to see his workshare week 10 before starting him on your fantasy team. Then it's the fi Al stretch of our FF season. Are you willing to take a risk with him? I have better options on j bench if needed. I'd rather take a flier on a lottery ticket or position depth/handcuffs.
This. 

with one caveat: he’ll catch a single 60+ yard TD, we’ll have 5 pages of “OMG HE’S BACK!” discussion, and everyone will be all over him, only to see him disappear. 

i just can’t imagine there not being last letdown before all is said & done. 

it’s actually pretty sad. I thought NEP would finally bring out the best in JG. He truly seems like a nice human being & he’s had one heck of a tough run in the NFL. Whether you consider addiction self-inflicted or not, you have to feel for the dude.

it’ll make an epic 30 for 30 someday. 

Ministry of Pain said:
I'm not high that teams are clamoring for this guy but we'll see. I understand why teams might want to take a look but he requires maintenance and babysitting that teams might want to pass on. Won't be shocked if he does fall down to a late grab by a playoff contender
Enter the Seahawks

And than there’s that Bill guy in NE. He doesn’t seem to get many of these decisions wrong. 

Gordon is fantasy football heroin for some people. They got that initial rush in 2013 and have been chasing that same "high" ever since. 2013 is a long time ago but if you want, you can easily explain or counter every "anti-Gordon" argument there is point for point and yet it's still 2019 and he's still not sniffing at 2013.

Hey, if it doesn't work out, at least he can relax and smoke some grass legally.
Yeah cause right now...based on what is coming out of NE. He is smoking grass and relaxing. Late to meetings, not reachable, ot going full effort in practice. yeah...keep hitting that bong Josh. 

This guy is a freaking turd of a professional. I am stunned the Seahawks are bringing him in. But I can’t stand that team anyway. 

28th 

Current NFL waiver claim priority:
1. MIA
2. CIN
3. WAS
4. ATL
5. NYJ
6. NYG
7. DEN
8. TB
9. CLE
10. LAC
11. CHI
12. PIT
13. OAK
14. ARI
15. TEN
16. JAC
17. PHI
18. DET
19. CAR
20. LAR
21. DAL
22. HOU
23. KC
24. BUF
25. BAL
26. IND
27. MIN
28. SEA
29. GB
30. NO
31. NE
32. SF
Hou should have jumped all over it

He finally has landed in a spot where he can succeed. It's hard to blame him for how things have panned out to this point, but it is easy to see why this time it will be different. 
It is? Perhaps I’m missing something. Can you explain the ease with which he should be expected to succeed in SEA?   :unsure:

unless this was absolutely brilliant sarcasm, in which case, well played my friend. Well played. 

It is? Perhaps I’m missing something. Can you explain the ease with which he should be expected to succeed in SEA?   :unsure:

unless this was absolutely brilliant sarcasm, in which case, well played my friend. Well played. 
If Russell Wilson throws 10 TDs to Gordon down the stretch here, everyone in fantasy will be kicking themselves for having missed out. 

This isn't a good spot for Gordon. Run heavy team, Carroll asks his WRs to work hard. Gordon better work on his downfield blocking... I agree with the Roto take, Lockett is unaffected (operates a ton in the slot) and so is Metcalf to a degree.

The last time this guy had anything above 800/5 was 2013. It's amazing how much buzz this guy generates based on production more than half a decade ago.  To put that in context 2013 was the year Geno Smith tied for 1st in the NFL for game winning drives back when he played for the Jets. Jamal Charles led the league in TD's. Andre Ellington had the best yards/attempt. Pierre Garcon led the league in receptions. Robert Mathis led the league in sacks.

Anyway, it's been a minute. Don't forget..... Washington was one of the first states to legalize weed and it's only a couple hour drive to Vancouver, BC. 

If Seattle wanted a big body receiver they could've gotten more from Dez Bryant to be honest; the only thing is Seattle will surely get a comp pick as long as Gordon is clean.
How will SEA get a comp pick?  If anyone wanted him they coulda signed him off waivers for free.  Highly unlikely any team signs him in the offseason and gives up a comp pick.  

The last time this guy had anything above 800/5 was 2013. It's amazing how much buzz this guy generates based on production more than half a decade ago.  To put that in context 2013 was the year Geno Smith tied for 1st in the NFL for game winning drives back when he played for the Jets. Jamal Charles led the league in TD's. Andre Ellington had the best yards/attempt. Pierre Garcon led the league in receptions. Robert Mathis led the league in sacks.

Anyway, it's been a minute. Don't forget..... Washington was one of the first states to legalize weed and it's only a couple hour drive to Vancouver, BC. 
The blast from the past here is awesome. Great post. 

Agreed.

HSG, is your PM box full?   I may be contacting you in the next week or two about an order.

Sorry to hijack this semi-dead JG thread, but anyway we can keep the faith alive....right?      :football:

TZM
I don’t think so, but I’ll check in a little bit.

How so? They’re a run-1st team that plays in predominantly 2-WR sets.

I’d look at Jaron Brown’s usage for a likely Indicator of how much he’ll see the field.  :shrug:
I'd bet he plays a bit more than Jaron Brown. They've kind of been running a WRBC lately with Brown, David Moore, and even Malik Turner of late, though Brown has been the leader of that.

Gordon played well in both 2018 and 2017 when he was on the field, sure it wasn't at his all-pro level of 2013, but he's still been an above average WR. Hell, in 2018, Gordon, Brandin Cooks, and Kenny Golladay were almost the same guy on a PPG basis. 

It depends on how hard Gordon works obviously, but I wouldn't dismiss that he gets ahead of Metcalf either. I love Metcalf as a prospect, but he's been extremely sloppy at times(which was to be expected as a raw-ish rookie) and doesn't seem to know where he is supposed to be a lot of the time. I could certainly see a scenario where when Seattle goes 2-WR, it could be Gordon or Metcalf based on situation. Gordon isn't a bad run blocker either.

I'd think Gordon sees at least 40 snaps a game. From a fantasy aspect, I'd be in no rush to add Gordon yet, but its not hard to see him coming into value. If nothing else, I'd say this addition gives Wilson a higher ceiling. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How so? They’re a run-1st team that plays in predominantly 2-WR sets.

I’d look at Jaron Brown’s usage for a likely Indicator of how much he’ll see the field.  :shrug:
He's not going to be asked to run extensive route tree. Metcalf isn't making a rookie impact because he's a good route runner

Unless there's an injury, I don't see him having fantasy value in standard.

It's far and away the best spot for 2019 on field impact. If not Seattle, I think he's sitting out rest of season. 

I don’t think so, but I’ll check in a little bit.
OK, I will probably reach out to you next week late.

You probably remember, but I got a couple boxes from you 2 years back I think.  (I won some in your kicker contest, then agreed to get the remainder of a case, or either 2 cases, can't remember offhand)

Anyway, last time I checked, you increased the bottle sizes. (CONGRATULATIONS, guys have been looking for ways to increase their sizes for years!!!)  :excited:

Jokes aside, to those here that wondered, but never tried an order, give his sauces a whirl. If you are a hot sauce fan, he has a good selection and can hook you up.  (and they are very low on sodium, something I look for)

I'm probably looking at 2 cases, depending on price, and exactly how many bottles I am going to need for my poker buddies and fantasy league members. Probably be 10 days or so before I know exactly how many bottles I need.

JOSH GORDON - I'm a big fan of the guy, but it looks like we are all down on him universally.  Everyone talks about the "good fit" for him in Seattle. Its probably a better fit for the team and Russell Wilson than fantasy in general, but thats just a knee jerk reaction.

In my start 3 WR leagues, I'm guessing he would be a flier as a WR3 possibly, in the right spot or two. I can't see anything much more than that offhand..... at least not until I see some targets and usage.

I gotta say, as a Russell Wilson owner in one league (.25 ppr, .25 points per completion for QB too) I think the addition of Gordon hasn't hurt my feelings.  :football:   I'm just tempering expectations on Gordon himself in fantasy.

TZM

I'd bet he plays a bit more than Jaron Brown. They've kind of been running a WRBC lately with Brown, David Moore, and even Malik Turner of late, though Brown has been the leader of that.

Gordon played well in both 2018 and 2017 when he was on the field, sure it wasn't at his all-pro level of 2013, but he's still been an above average WR. Hell, in 2018, Gordon, Brandin Cooks, and Kenny Golladay were almost the same guy on a PPG basis. 

It depends on how hard Gordon works obviously, but I wouldn't dismiss that he gets ahead of Metcalf either. I love Metcalf as a prospect, but he's been extremely sloppy at times(which was to be expected as a raw-ish rookie) and doesn't seem to know where he is supposed to be a lot of the time. I could certainly see a scenario where when Seattle goes 2-WR, it could be Gordon or Metcalf based on situation. Gordon isn't a bad run blocker either.

I'd think Gordon sees at least 40 snaps a game. From a fantasy aspect, I'd be in no rush to add Gordon yet, but its not hard to see him coming into value. If nothing else, I'd say this addition gives Wilson a higher ceiling. 
Maybe it’s possible he passes Metcalf… I thought they were very pleased with him, But I had not heard about the sloppiness. I agree though that Russell Wilson is the clear beneficiary of thisBut I had not heard about the sloppiness. I agree though that Russell Wilson is the clear beneficiary of this

How will SEA get a comp pick?  If anyone wanted him they coulda signed him off waivers for free.  Highly unlikely any team signs him in the offseason and gives up a comp pick.  
I think it was posted he has a clause in his contract that if he stays the year with his team Seattle would be eligible for a pick? I might have misread that.

Other thing is Seahawks covet draft picks.   Heard on the radio today that if Gordon can make it through this season without getting suspended, he'll be an unrestricted free agent.   Seahawks could end up with compensatory pick in exchange for the million or so that they'll pay on the rest of this year's contract.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it’s possible he passes Metcalf… I thought they were very pleased with him, But I had not heard about the sloppiness. I agree though that Russell Wilson is the clear beneficiary of this
I think they are pleased with him, but they also know his current strengths and weaknesses, and likely don't want to overburden him, although that is purely speculation on my end. I do know, he's been a little careless with the ball, he's had a very bad fumble that was returned for a TD against the Ravens, and has had multiple miscommunications with Wilson, specifically in the redzone. One could make an argument Metcalf should be leading the NFL in TD catches with how much they have been trying to get him going down there, doubly so since Dissly got hurt, and it really hasn't worked out. Though he had 2 TD catches last week. 

The big issue for Metcalf right now, is that he is like 6-4 230, and sort of plays like he's Lockett's size sometimes. He doesn't seem to trust himself in traffic yet. If he gets that worked out though, he'll be scary good. In the meantime, Gordon offers a nice alternative, who could make things easier for both Lockett and Metcalf, if not from a fantasy standpoint, from an NFL one. 

Users who are viewing this thread