What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Pead (1 Viewer)

I've read a lot of opinion which supports the idea that St. Louis is moving to a spread system similar to what Oaklahoma ran when Bradford played for them. If this is the case which back would fit that system better, Pead or Stacy?
If true, that should bode well for Pead, because he played out of the spread a lot in college.

I've read a lot of opinion which supports the idea that St. Louis is moving to a spread system similar to what Oaklahoma ran when Bradford played for them. If this is the case which back would fit that system better, Pead or Stacy?
Richardson. Best in space.

ETA-ACU also runs a spread offense IIRC. They hung up 90+ on West Texas a few years ago, though I don't think Richardson was there then.

Just looked it up. Bernard Scott had a pretty good day. 292 rushing yards, 6 TDs...61 receiving yards for another score.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernard Scott having those numbers seems more like an endorsement for Pead to me than for Richardson.

The Commodores ran a version of the spread offense as well. Zac Stacy is a good pass protector in this type of offense as the single back.

I see the things that Austin and Bailey did at WV translating very well into the Air Coryell Schottenheimer runs. I think many parts of the Oklahoma spread translate to this offense as well.

I love how Richardson beats out Pead (clearly) all of last season, Pead comes back this year and gets suspended and then after the draft where the Rams take a 5th round back the conversation turns to Pead vs. Stacy. Am i crazy or should the Pead vs. Stacy debate be about who will be backing up Richardson. People can talk all they want about what they want, but talent can only compare when it is placed together and Richardson was clearly the better option for Offense than Pead. The question is, how will Stacy compare? Better than Pead or might he actually be as good as Richardson? We shall see.

I love how Richardson beats out Pead (clearly) all of last season, Pead comes back this year and gets suspended and then after the draft where the Rams take a 5th round back the conversation turns to Pead vs. Stacy. Am i crazy or should the Pead vs. Stacy debate be about who will be backing up Richardson. People can talk all they want about what they want, but talent can only compare when it is placed together and Richardson was clearly the better option for Offense than Pead. The question is, how will Stacy compare? Better than Pead or might he actually be as good as Richardson? We shall see.
Richardson beat out Pead as the COP guy behind SJax. I'm not convinced that he is a workhorse, between the tackles back.

He will obviously be part of the committee, but the 'lead back' in this offense will be Pead or Stacy.

The suspension thing is being overblown. He was suspended this offseason for something he did last offseason. By all accounts he has been more focused this offseason, and I think that's more important to Fisher.

eta- for those of you who think the NFL draft process is an efficient one and that Pead will be the lead RB because he was drafted in the 2nd round...
Wow, that's a mischaracterization. An efficient market doesn't get everything right. (If it did, there would be no need for a market.). A market is efficient -- and this is a rough definition -- if no individual is systematically better at predicting outcomes than the market.

Richardson beat out Pead as the COP guy behind SJax. I'm not convinced that he is a workhorse, between the tackles back.

He will obviously be part of the committee, but the 'lead back' in this offense will be Pead or Stacy
From the combine:

Richardson is 5'10 192 and has a 40" vert.

Pead is 5'10 196 and has a 33" vert.

So they're both around the same size but Richardson has much more leg strength. If either one was to be the main rb in that offense, I'm going with Richardson.

eta- for those of you who think the NFL draft process is an efficient one and that Pead will be the lead RB because he was drafted in the 2nd round...
Wow, that's a mischaracterization. An efficient market doesn't get everything right. (If it did, there would be no need for a market.). A market is efficient -- and this is a rough definition -- if no individual is systematically better at predicting outcomes than the market.
You will need to explain better than that, because I do not understand your point at all. You say an efficient market does not get everything right, that is what I am saying as well. So how am I mischarecterizing anything?

You have folks here who seemingly think that the NFL draft is a process so good that no one outside it could ever do better. Even though there are multiple examples over time of draft position not being the deciding factor on which players get touches/starting positions.

A higher draft pick, as in this example will get more opportunity to prove themselves than a later pick will. But that player will still have to prove themselves better than their competition to earn that position. Where they are drafted is not enough.

If you would explain where I am wrong that would be greatly appreciated.

He will obviously be part of the committee, but the 'lead back' in this offense will be Pead or Stacy.
So nice to have Jeff Fisher here to clarify. Seriously though here is another POV, Daryl is a better player than Pead. Not just a better COP guy but better in all aspects. Stacy is there to fill a pounder/short yardage role. Marion Barber or Lendale White come to mind. Pead will be the backup.

I do believe Pead missed all the offseason work due to him coming out as a jr as where Richardson came out as a senior and got to learn the playbook. That could definitely explain the difference between the production last year.

I hear what the above poster is saying, that D-Rich had the #'s but if you watch the game he is a scat back type back. I don't care about size being similar, the style the 2 run with are very different.

I traded for both in the offseason so I don't care but I totally believe Pead will be the guy

I do believe Pead missed all the offseason work due to him coming out as a jr as where Richardson came out as a senior and got to learn the playbook. That could definitely explain the difference between the production last year.

I hear what the above poster is saying, that D-Rich had the #'s but if you watch the game he is a scat back type back. I don't care about size being similar, the style the 2 run with are very different.

I traded for both in the offseason so I don't care but I totally believe Pead will be the guy
Pead was a Senior. He missed camp due to Graduation.

I'll throw out that RB is considered the easiest skill position for a rookie to pick up. Even with missed rookie minicamp, he still had training camp and the season to pick up the playbook and earn more time. Instead, in his own words:

“I was literally fed up with football,” Pead said. “Not a quitter, not quitting, I was just tired of football. Tired of practice for the day and I would just lay there play video games and whatnot because it was so miserable, so stressful.”

This is somewhat speculation on my part. But I notice that Pead was a punt returner in his senior season. Did the Rams perhaps value him a bit more as a draft prospect because of this potential?

So nice to have Jeff Fisher here to clarify. Seriously though here is another POV, Daryl is a better player than Pead. Not just a better COP guy but better in all aspects. Stacy is there to fill a pounder/short yardage role. Marion Barber or Lendale White come to mind. Pead will be the backup.
What makes you think that? All of his TDs last year? Not that I'm sold on Pead, but he will have 1st crack at starting without a doubt. Richardson is just a marginal talent in the NFL and wouldn't crack another team's roster if let go today

What makes you think that? All of his TDs last year? Not that I'm sold on Pead, but he will have 1st crack at starting without a doubt. Richardson is just a marginal talent in the NFL and wouldn't crack another team's roster if let go today
And yet he soundly beat out Pead last year.

And yet he soundly beat out Pead last year.
He beat him for the COP role.

Pead highlights 2012

Richardson highlights 2012

I know Richardson played much more (which I think is telling as well) so these aren't exactly a fair comparison, but still he looks to me like the far superior player. He looks faster, more explosive, stronger and seems to have better vision... I think Richardson is the guy to have here and agree with previous posters that Stacy fits the mold of a short yardage bruiser.

Pead highlights 2012

I know Richardson played much more (which I think is telling as well) so these aren't exactly a fair comparison, but still he looks to me like the far superior player. He looks faster, more explosive, stronger and seems to have better vision... I think Richardson is the guy to have here and agree with previous posters that Stacy fits the mold of a short yardage bruiser.
On a simple evaluation of who played better last year, the conclusion that can be drawn is that Richardson was better than Pead. This however, was based on last year's results, and I am reminded all the time in Fantasy Football that "past performance is no guarantee of future results".

Pead highlights 2012

I am a Rams fan and watched pretty much every game last year and Richardson was a nice running back but didn't give me the WOW factor. The clips that I saw on this YOUTUBE clip were very impressive but I don't think it was every touch he got as where Pead (due to his lack of touches) was pretty much every clip and I feel comfortable in saying I see the talent in the way Pead runs. I have both so I don't care and I do see Richardson getting touches but I think it will be a 60-30-10 between Pead, DRich and Stacy in that order.

I really like Pead's ability

I will say D Rich's highlighted reel did impress me though

Seems like a late round draft crap shoot to me between the 3. I will have to pass on these guys for now and monitor as the season gets under way.

Pead looking to prove himself integral to Rams' offense

Dennis Dillon

As the Rams' primary ball carrier over the last eight seasons, Steven Jackson accounted for 69 percent of their carries (2,261 of 3,284) and 71 percent of their rushing yards (9,462 of 13,259). That's a lot of heavy lifting by one man, to be sure. But now that Jackson has moved on to Atlanta in free agency, what's left in St. Louis is a six-pack of running backs that is young and largely untested -- a six-pack that includes second-year player Isaiah Pead, who has a chance to redeem himself from what was, for many different reasons, a disappointing first season.

Along with Pead, Daryl Richardson, and Terrance Ganaway are also second-year players. Zac Stacy is a rookie fifth-round pick. Chase Reynolds is a first-year player who was not drafted. Benjamin Cunningham is a rookie free agent. Among the group, only Richardson (98 for 475 yards) and Pead (10 for 54) have carried the ball in an NFL game.

Although the Rams added some new receiving weapons for fourth-year quarterback Sam Bradford during the offseason — they signed Titans free-agent tight end Jared Cook and drafted West Virginia wideouts Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey — they're still going to have to run the ball successfully if they're going to compete with the 49ers and Seahawks for the NFC West championship.

A lot could change between now and the start of the 2013 season, but it looks like the Rams ground game might evolve from a bell cow to the proverbial running backs by committee.

"I could see the ball being handed off to three, even four guys (in a given game)," coach Jeff Fisher said after a recent OTA practice.

No one is more eager to receive handoffs than the 5-10, 197-pound Pead, who will have to curb his enthusiasm a bit, as he's been suspended for the 2013 season opener for violating the league's substance abuse policy. A second-round draft pick from Cincinnati last year, Pead's limited production and playing time (42 of 1002 offensive snaps) was a byproduct of missed preparation time and made for a self-described "miserable" 2012 season. NFL rules prohibit rookies from participating in their teams' offseason activities until their colleges hold graduation. Because Cincinnati is on a quarters system, its graduation didn't take place until June. Thus, Pead missed almost all of the Rams' spring practices.

Where was he a year ago?

"I was in Cincinnati. Frustrated," he said. "I was on FaceTime with the coach, trying to simulate as if you were in a meeting, but it didn't work too much."

By the time Pead arrived for training camp, he was behind Richardson (a seventh-round pick), if not the eight ball. He touched the ball only six times from scrimmage (four carries for 33 yards, two receptions for seven yards) in the first eight games, then only two times (one rush, one catch) over the next seven.

Pead's description of his season was not as morose as an offseason story on the University of Cincinnati website portrayed it. According to that account, Pead "in his darkest moments" spent a lot of time in his suburban St. Louis house bouncing a tennis ball against a wall, or lying in bed and staring up at the ceiling while listening to music. The story added that "The moment the Rams completed their 7-8-1 season with his exit interview, he arranged a flight and wasted no time bolting town and an empty house that symbolized unfulfillment."

Pead, who reportedly was known for his friendly personality and infectious laughs while he was at Cincinnati, described the story as "kind of exaggerated. As a competitor, you want to play. That's the bottom line. You want to be out there contributing, and that wasn't happening for me. It was just a down feeling, not necessarily the whole year. [The reporter] kind of told me to describe last year in a word, and I couldn't find another word [than miserable].

"When football is your life, and football is your job, and football's not going right, your life's not going to go right, feeling-wise. My life's great. I have a great family, a loving family at home [Ohio], a nice house [in St. Louis] with a great neighborhood, great people. It's just that the football aspect wasn't going as planned.

"It was hard. I made my mistakes and decisions were made. All I could do was capitalize on opportunities, the small opportunities I had."

Fans in the U.K. saw almost as much of Pead as fans in St. Louis did. Late in a blowout loss to the Patriots on October 28 at London's Wembley Stadium, Pead rushed three times for 32 yards, including a 19-yard run around end on his first carry, and returned two kickoffs for an average of 19.5 yards.

It wasn't until the final game of the season, December 30 in Seattle, that Pead received a chance to get into the rhythm of the offense during a game that was still competitive. After the Seahawks took a 13-10 lead late in the third quarter, Pead carried the ball on five of the first eight plays in the Rams' next series. Each of his first two rushes went for seven yards, and he finished with 21 yards.

Even before that game, Fisher's perception of Pead had been positive.

"When he carried in games, he was very impressive," Fisher said. "He stayed 'up and alive' and was ready to play here and there in games in different packages. We got to the point in the [seattle] game where we wanted to give him something to ride into the offseason program with."

Pead agreed that his performance against the Seahawks helped propel him into the offseason.

"Definitely," he said, "because you know they say you're only as good as your last game. Those images are still stuck in every coach's mind. But I just can't pride myself off of those five carries. I have to pride myself off the work I do every day when we're out here on the field, in the class room. Even outside of football, conversations with the coaches, always keeping a smile on your face."

Pead amassed 4,009 rushing and receiving yards in four seasons at Cincinnati, was named the Big East Conference's offensive player of the year in 2011, and capped off his collegiate career by capturing MVP honors in the 2012 Senior Bowl, where he rushed eight times for 31 yards and set a single-game record with 98 punt return yards. He is hardly intimidated by the glut of players at running back on the St. Louis roster.

"There's competition, but who doesn't want to be in a competitive atmosphere?" he said. "I'm all for it, we're all for it. We're not enemies; we still help each other, ask questions, things like that. But you need competition out there.

"I look at that opportunity every day, whether it be Steven being gone, or somebody getting the question wrong and I get the question right. Every small opportunity I get, I try to capture it."

A year after being on the outside, Pead is front and center as the Rams install their offense in the offseason workouts. Joining his teammates on the field and in the meeting room as an integral part of the chemistry the offense is building should only bolster Pead's confidence.

One of his general goals in offseason is to eliminate mistakes — both physical and mental. He wants to make sure he lines up in the right spot on the field and knows the routes to run when he goes out for passes. One specific thing he is focusing on is pass blocking.

"Yeah, definitely. Body position," he said. "I'm not the biggest guy, so I need every inch. Body position is the number one thing I need, and the physical part will take care of itself. You've got to be a willing blocker.

"I play with a chip on my shoulder. I kind of just play with that electric 'ooh, ahh,' then snap and clear and get back for the next play. I'm a big team guy. I love team victories, accolades, championships. That's number one. Let's be honest: We all want that championship, and I want to contribute to that."

What are the Rams' expectations of Pead in his second season?

"At this point, just keep doing what he's been doing," Fisher said. "He's had a great offseason program so far. He's working hard, he's in really good shape, he's continuing to battle. But there's great competition, he also understands."

That's just fine with Pead. He would rather be battling in the thick of it than standing on the outside looking in, like he had to do a year ago.

So for those who think Pead should start ahead of Richardson because he was drafted higher, do you apply the same logic for Ben Tate vs Arian Foster?

So for those who think Pead should start ahead of Richardson because he was drafted higher, do you apply the same logic for Ben Tate vs Arian Foster?
if richardson becomes one of the best RBs in the league for the next three years or so like foster, than your point will be well taken... anything to suggest this might happen? :)

I liked Pead headed into this competition, but man, aside from a few reports saying he really wants the job, it doesn't sound like he's trying really hard to get the job. One report said he got so frustrated he had to play video games, another one said he got so bored he was throwing a tennis ball off the ground, but none of them said he was running stairs at the stadium or anything like that.

None of that is definitive, but in my valuation, he went from an unknown who I thought was the leader to get carries to an unknown who is a darkhorse to get carries.

I liked Pead headed into this competition, but man, aside from a few reports saying he really wants the job, it doesn't sound like he's trying really hard to get the job. One report said he got so frustrated he had to play video games, another one said he got so bored he was throwing a tennis ball off the ground, but none of them said he was running stairs at the stadium or anything like that.

None of that is definitive, but in my valuation, he went from an unknown who I thought was the leader to get carries to an unknown who is a darkhorse to get carries.
Has Pead's field vision improved enough to quit running up the rear end of his offensive lineman or from taking everything else to the outside?

Has Pead's field vision improved enough to quit running up the rear end of his offensive lineman or from taking everything else to the outside?
He had a lot better vision in college, there isn't much of a sample in the NFL to say.

In the last 5 games last year richardson's best stat line was 5 carries for 9 yds. He had double digit carries twice but no meaningful work down the stretch. The most valuable piece of information we have on this situation, in my opinion, is Adam Shefter picking Pead as his breakout player of the year. Shefter and Fisher have been close since Fisher's days in Nashville.

In the last 5 games last year richardson's best stat line was 5 carries for 9 yds. He had double digit carries twice but no meaningful work down the stretch. The most valuable piece of information we have on this situation, in my opinion, is Adam Shefter picking Pead as his breakout player of the year. Shefter and Fisher have been close since Fisher's days in Nashville.
Not sure I'm overly impressed by Adam Shefter picking breakout players.

This situation will ultimately be Jeff Fisher's call. Shefter is closer to Fisher than most anyone else in the media. I think it's wise to listen to what he says.

This situation will ultimately be Jeff Fisher's call. Shefter is closer to Fisher than most anyone else in the media. I think it's wise to listen to what he says.
So, what you're insinuating is that Jeff Fisher hinted to Shefter that Pead will breakout this year? If not, then what I'm saying is that I don't value Adam Shefter's evaluation of talent.

if richardson becomes one of the best RBs in the league for the next three years or so like foster, than your point will be well taken... anything to suggest this might happen? :)
I don't have any news to suggest this might happen. It just seems that the conclusion that Pead will be the starter based on being drafted in an earlier round is tough to justify based on what we know now. I think it's a toss up between all 3 guys for who will be the starter for the last 1/3 of the season.

So, what you're insinuating is that Jeff Fisher hinted to Shefter that Pead will breakout this year? If not, then what I'm saying is that I don't value Adam Shefter's evaluation of talent.
That's exactly what I'm insinuating. Here's an article that talks about it:

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/2/25/4028136/peter-king-adam-schefter-isaiah-pead-nfc-breakout-player-in-2013

That's exactly what I'm insinuating. Here's an article that talks about it:

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/2/25/4028136/peter-king-adam-schefter-isaiah-pead-nfc-breakout-player-in-2013
That article doesn't give a whole lot to indicate that Fisher said anything about Pead.

JohnnyU said:
BruceAlmighty said:
JohnnyU said:
BruceAlmighty said:
JohnnyU said:
BruceAlmighty said:
That's exactly what I'm insinuating. Here's an article that talks about it:http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/2/25/4028136/peter-king-adam-schefter-isaiah-pead-nfc-breakout-player-in-2013
That article doesn't give a whole lot to indicate that Fisher said anything about Pead.
I never said he did. I said Schefter, who has a history of getting inside dope from Jeff Fisher, said Pead would be this year's breakout player. If you dont think Adam Schefter knows his business, that's fine. I admit, he could be wrong. But it's been my experience that he's about as plugged in as it gets, especially with this particular coach. If you choose to ignore it, that's fine too. Personally, I'm buying Pead at every opportunity.

So following the links this stems from PFT-

Rams reportedly envision Pead as Jackson’s successorPosted by Evan Silva on April 30, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Rams second-round pick Isaiah Pead looks more like a change-of-pace or third-down back than a feature NFL runner. Pead goes 5-foot-10, 197. Most draftniks characterize Pead as a slashing scatback with punt return value.

The Rams used the 50th overall pick in the draft to land him, however, and they likely wouldn’t have used such a high selection on a guy who might get only five or six offensive touches per game.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter early Monday that Pead is viewed as the “successor” to aging Rams starter Steven Jackson. Per Schefter, Pead was “coveted” around the league and would not have lasted on the draft board much longer after the 50th pick.

Our best guess is that Pead will ultimately need to be paired with a power runner in a multiple-back rotation. But it’s also worth wondering whether Rams coach Jeff Fisher may have spotted some Chris Johnson in Pead’s game. Johnson’s 2008 Combine weigh-in was 5-foot-11, 197, nearly identical to Pead’s. Like Pead, most draft prognosticators pigeonholed Johnson as a scatback coming out of college.

Johnson was Fisher’s first-round pick in the 2008 draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/30/rams-reportedly-envision-pead-as-jacksons-successor/
The St. Louis Rams have been searching for a change-of-pace back to complement Steven Jackson for quite awhile. With the 50th pick in this year’s draft, they got one in Cincinnati tailback Isaiah Pead.

Pead goes just 5-foot-10, 197, so he’s built like Bengals backup Bernard Scott. But Pead possesses 4.44 straight-line speed and averaged over 6.0 yards per carry in his college career. Pead also possesses punt return value.

Pead earned Big East Offensive Player of the Year honors in 2011. He should help take some of the load off of the aging Jackson in new coach Jeff Fisher’s run-first attack.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/27/rams-select-cincinnati-speedster-pead-with-50th-pick/
This does kind of confirm that Pead was on several teams boards around the league as a COP RB and potential punt returner, which are hard to find.

Drafting of Austin confirms importance of a good return player to the Rams.

As far as what Schefter reported on sports center right after the draft, he sounds bored and perhaps a bit too much in his thesaurus that morning.

JohnnyU said:
BruceAlmighty said:
JohnnyU said:
BruceAlmighty said:
JohnnyU said:
BruceAlmighty said:
That's exactly what I'm insinuating. Here's an article that talks about it:http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/2/25/4028136/peter-king-adam-schefter-isaiah-pead-nfc-breakout-player-in-2013
I never said he did. I said Schefter, who has a history of getting inside dope from Jeff Fisher, said Pead would be this year's breakout player. If you dont think Adam Schefter knows his business, that's fine. I admit, he could be wrong. But it's been my experience that he's about as plugged in as it gets, especially with this particular coach. If you choose to ignore it, that's fine too. Personally, I'm buying Pead at every opportunity.
You can't ignore your eyes and my eyes tells me Pead doesn't have it. Maybe Richardson doesn't either. Maybe Stacy does, maybe he doesn't. Maybe they all suck.

2nd-year RBs: Isaiah Pead

Evan Silva

This is Part 9 in my 10-Part Second-Year Running Back Series, using NFL Game Rewind to analyze each sophomore back's rookie-season tape. For the Lamar Miller, David Wilson, Bryce Brown, Vick Ballard, Bernard Pierce, Ronnie Hillman, Daryl Richardson, and LaMichael James writeups, click here:

Miller Link.

Wilson Link.

Brown Link.

Ballard Link.

Pierce Link.

Hillman Link.

Richardson Link.

James Link.

Isaiah Pead

Putting a microscope on Pead was more difficult than the other backs in this series for an obvious reason: He only touched the ball 13 times as a rookie. A second-round pick, Pead spent 2012 buried as a third-stringer behind Steven Jackson and seventh-rounder Daryl Richardson. Publicly, Pead blamed the disappointing season on a feeling of constant catch-up mode, admitting his debut year was "miserable." The University of Cincinnati's late graduation prevented Pead from being around the team for the entire spring; he couldn't even practice at OTAs. According to the Rams' website, "it was during those OTAs that the Rams installed the entire offense" under then-first-year coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Pead tried to keep up via FaceTime with RBs coach Ben Sirmans, but when training camp began he was too far behind to catch up to highly impressive Richardson, let alone Jackson -- the leading rusher in franchise history.

Coming out, respected NFL Films guru Greg Cosell called Pead one of his "favorite players on film" and likened his college tape to Jamaal Charles at Texas. Cosell described Pead as "naturally quick and explosive" with "dynamic" ability and a "decisive north-south" running style.

So despite his "redshirt" rookie season and one-game suspension to open 2013, Isaiah Pead remains a highly intriguing real-life and fantasy football prospect. To supplement Pead's scant rookie-year tape, I incorporated four of his highest-profile college games into this review: vs. North Carolina State (30 touches), vs. West Virginia (24 touches), at Tennessee (16 touches), and Cincinnati's 2011 Liberty Bowl game against Vanderbilt (31 touches).

My Takeaways After Re-watching Pead's Rookie NFL Touches:

Making sweeping conclusions based on 13 touches would be irresponsible, but I thought Pead looked pretty good in extremely limited usage. He ran with aggressiveness inside the tackles and showed explosive lateral open-field elusiveness. Pead seemed to lack Richardson's burst and acceleration on perimeter runs, and wasn't as proficient at beating defenders to the edge and turning the corner as his teammate. But Pead demonstrated outstanding pad level, running very low to the ground. In football, as the saying goes, the "low man wins."

The best carry of Pead's rookie season came on first-and-ten in Week 8 against New England. Working out of the I formation, Pead accepted Sam Bradford's handoff, kicked outside off left tackle, and made two defenders miss with open-field jukes before falling forward to finish the 19-yard run. The area in which I believe Pead is superior to Richardson is his ability to add yardage to runs in space. While Richardson attacks with authority between the tackles, he is limited out in the open because his movement is somewhat straight-linish. Pead is more fluid, and runs with better shake and bake.

I also noticed Pead line up on one of his snaps at wideout, catch a screen pass, and turn upfield for a nine-yard gain in overtime against San Francisco. Again, the sample size was extremely limited, but Pead did not touch the football on a single third down. The Rams ran Pead out of the shotgun, I formation, offset I, and single-back sets. I charted six of his ten carries as inside runs, and four as outside runs, with three toss sweeps.

My Takeaways After Watching Pead's College Games:

At Cincinnati, Pead's playing personality was aggressive. He was a high-energy, competitive runner who leaned on his elusiveness to often turn what seemed surefire short gains or even losses into chunk-yardage runs. Pead is a shifty back with some similarities to LeSean McCoy. He flashed explosive hop-step and jump-cut moves in the hole with very quick feet.

Pead runs with plus burst, acceleration, and vision, and was impressive weaving through traffic because he moves so well laterally. His cutting and cutback ability could be devastating and sometimes violent. Pead is capable of changing direction without losing any upfield momentum. The combination of explosive cuts and top-notch vision made Pead a very dangerous college back.

On running plays designed to the inside, Pead showed no fear between the tackles but lacked power and ran with inconsistent physicality. Too often, he was buried at or behind the line of scrimmage because he does not run with consistent leg drive. At the NFL level, I doubt Pead will push piles or ever become an effective short-yardage runner. I didn't think he beat first contact enough. Pead had a tendency to bounce inside runs outside, but that is relatively common among college backs and he was successful doing so more often than not at Cincinnati.

I was impressed by Pead's ability to weave through traffic with smoothness while maintaining positive acceleration, and he can bounce off arm tackles. He displayed nifty feet down the sideline to stay in bounds. Pead came off as a controlled runner even though there are some improvisational elements to his playing style.

Pead was generally not very effective in the passing game, which I found disappointing. I charted 11 blitz-pickup opportunities, and Pead executed successfully on only five. Among his six blown pass-protection chances, three resulted in sacks of Bearcats quarterback Zach Collaros, including a strip-sack allowed against North Carolina State. Pead dropped two catchable passes versus Vanderbilt and had another drop against West Virginia.

Pead played in a spread offense at Cincinnati, where he ran strictly out of the shotgun. He's now two years removed from the college offense and there's no reason to hold that against him, although it did increase Pead's opportunities to get out into space. It's been speculated the Rams will incorporate more spread concepts into their 2013 offense, so perhaps the scheme change will enhance Pead's comfort level.

My Outlook for the Rams' 2013 Backfield:

There is no question St. Louis' backfield will be a wide-open camp competition. My previous tape examinations of Daryl Richardson and rookie Zac Stacy can be found here and here. I came away most impressed by Richardson after reviewing St. Louis' three backs, but not by a significant margin. Because of his superior lateral agility, an argument could be made that Pead is the Rams' most talented all-around runner. I think Richardson is better between the tackles, has the slight edge in explosiveness, and will leave fewer yards on the field. From a fantasy football perspective, my money would be on Richardson leading the Rams in 2013 carries. But it wouldn't surprise me if Pead's role increased as the season moves along and he grabbed the lead-back reigns at some point.

It'll be a position battle to monitor closely.

Pead highlights 2012

From those two clips Pead had more technical proficiency to build off of than Richardson. After watching those two highlight reels I'd choose Pead. Richardson is the sexier pick by far - extremely fast and flashy but Pead showed good leg churn, pushed piles, and ran between the tackles better when you consider this is a "highlight reel" and you can't evaluate players by those.

Users who are viewing this thread