What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**The Official Randall 'touchdown robber' Cobber Bandwagon** (1 Viewer)

Just wondering if folks are rolling with Cobb tonight given that he's active. And if so, over whom?

For me, probably starting Cobb at my WR3 spot over Watkins because not sure Sammy will be cleared for Sunday..
He's on the bench for hogan for me.

Just wondering if folks are rolling with Cobb tonight given that he's active. And if so, over whom?

For me, probably starting Cobb at my WR3 spot over Watkins because not sure Sammy will be cleared for Sunday..
I don't have a choice. Baldwin might be out Sunday so I've got Baldwin at Flex & moved Cobb to WR.

fingers crossed - I think this sets up as an average to above average matchup for him, but the Pack missing 2 starting tackles bothers me. 

Not starting him. I've got other options and he is not sure thing every week starter anyway. I can live with him going off on a bench, but I'd be pissed if I started him and he was limited and barely did anything. 

Rolling with Cobb over D Henry. It was either Kupp or Henry to the bench. Hate that Murray is at full strength so benched Henry. 

Thoughts on Cobb with Nelson out of the picture?

assuming they don’t draft an early round Wr I could see a bounce back to relevance 

assuming they don’t draft an early round Wr I could see a bounce back to relevance 
Now that the team has chosen to move on from Jordy, I think Cobb sticks. Adams is the clear WR1 and Graham will play a major role in the passing game, likely seeing the second most targets. Think Cobb is likely to receive the 3rd most targets on the team. Although it may feel like Cobb has been around forever, he's only 27 years old and has earned the trust of Rodgers. This is the last year of his contract and I think GB drafts at least one WR this year and then moves on from Cobb next year.

In the short term, Cobb could certainly bounce back enough to merit WR3 consideration. The days of 1,000 yard seasons are over, but I think he will outperform what I anticipate to be an ADP of WR55-60 next summer. 

I think Cobb could be one of the surprises this year. In 2016 Cobb missed 4/5 games and was not right for another handful. Last year Rodgers missed his time. In both of those seasons there were stretches where Cobb looked top 20ish when both he and Rodgers were healthy. People are moving on from Cobb because they are looking at 2 years of below average numbers but there has been reasons for those numbers. With Nelson gone I like his chances in the GB offense.

When Rodgers was playing he looked like the same guy from back when he was highly valued.

At this point no chatter exists regarding him being released and I don't think they would cut him later and mess with his chances to find a new team.

I do think GB will add a WR, I think they want more speed at WR, but Cobb's role in 2018 seems pretty secure to me.

. Adams is the clear WR1 and Graham will play a major role in the passing game, likely seeing the second most targets. Think Cobb is likely to receive the 3rd most targets on the team.
I think he will challenge Adams for target lead and they will be the two leaders.  I see Graham as more like a 100 target kind of guy, at best.  Not sure Rodgers has ever targetted a TE 100 times in a season, might be wrong on this but I think Finley's 92 is the high.

I think Cobb could be one of the surprises this year. In 2016 Cobb missed 4/5 games and was not right for another handful. Last year Rodgers missed his time. In both of those seasons there were stretches where Cobb looked top 20ish when both he and Rodgers were healthy. People are moving on from Cobb because they are looking at 2 years of below average numbers but there has been reasons for those numbers. With Nelson gone I like his chances in the GB offense.
It's really been a multi year mess of Cobb hurt and then Rodgers hurt when Cobb is healthy. Start dialing it down to games when both are healthy and it's different picture.

Cobb is outstanding value right now, I'd even put his odds of being the best fantasy WR on GB next year in the 40%'ish range.

When Rodgers was playing he looked like the same guy from back when he was highly valued.

At this point no chatter exists regarding him being released and I don't think they would cut him later and mess with his chances to find a new team.

I do think GB will add a WR, I think they want more speed at WR, but Cobb's role in 2018 seems pretty secure to me.

I think he will challenge Adams for target lead and they will be the two leaders.  I see Graham as more like a 100 target kind of guy, at best.  Not sure Rodgers has ever targetted a TE 100 times in a season, might be wrong on this but I think Finley's 92 is the high.

It's really been a multi year mess of Cobb hurt and then Rodgers hurt when Cobb is healthy. Start dialing it down to games when both are healthy and it's different picture.

Cobb is outstanding value right now, I'd even put his odds of being the best fantasy WR on GB next year in the 40%'ish range.
I would love if this happens. I have Cobb dirt cheap in a keep 4 auction league. 

Still- a lot of things have to break correctly for this scenario to play out. We also need to remember that it is likely GB invests a high pick (Rounds 1,2, or 3) in a WR. 

Adams will lead with targets, followed closely by Graham, depending on who the Packers add at WR, Cobb could be number 4 in targets.  I see him as 4/5 WR for FF.

Randall Cobb - WR -  Packers

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Michael Cohen spotted Randall Cobb wearing a walking boot on his right foot.

Cobb participated in OTAs, so it is a new injury. He said the boot was "temporary" but would not disclose if he underwent surgery. Cohen reports the team could ease the receiver into camp, but there is no concern about his availability for Week 1. Cobb has WR2 upside as the Packers' clear No. 2 receiver, but he carries some injury concern as well.

Source: Michael Cohenon Twitter 

Jun 25 - 9:22 AM

Randall Cobb (foot) has no limitations at the start of training camp.

Cobb was spotted in a walking boot this summer, putting his health for the start of camp in question, but everything seems to be fine. Cobb is the unquestioned starter alongside Davante Adams with Jordy Nelson now gone. Being drafted as a backend WR3 in the late seventh round of PPR drafts, Cobb's ADP has slowly been on the rise the last two weeks.

Source: ESPN.com 

Jul 27 - 11:08 AM

Randall Cobb - WR -  Packers

The Ringer's Mike Lombardi reported on his GM Street podcast that the Packers have shopped Randall Cobb.

Lombardi conceded he doesn't know Green Bay's asking price, but said he's heard Cobb is available. "I know his name's being shopped around," said the former GM. Recovering from surgery on his long-troublesome ankle, Cobb has yet to play this preseason. The Packers have given Equanimeous St. Brown and DeAngelo Yancey extensive slot snaps, perhaps foreshadowing Cobb's departure via trade or release. Cobb is owed $9.5 million in salary and bonuses, so teams likely won't be knocking down the Packers' door.

Source: GM Street Podcast 

Aug 22 - 6:37 PM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport disputed a report from The Ringer that the Packers are shopping Randall Cobb.

RapSheet conceded he's heard some teams "checked on" Cobb's availability for trade with Green Bay's rookie wide receivers showing well in preseason. However, RapSheet insists the Packers "are not shopping (Cobb) and expect him to contribute to their team." Cobb's base salary of $8.6 million combined with his extensive injury history does make him a tough sell on the trade market. We still wouldn't entirely rule out Cobb being a surprise September cut.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Aug 22 - 10:25 PM

The Ringer's Mike Lombardi reiterated on his latest GM Street podcast that Randall Cobb is available for trade.

Lombardi was also well out in front of the Dolphins shopping Jarvis Landry. "Everybody in the league knows Randall Cobb is available," Lombardi said, adamantly. "All you gotta do is make the call." Lombardi did acknowledge that Cobb likely has no trade market, however. He is owed an $8.6 million salary and has chronic ankle problems. We can't say we'd be surprised if Cobb got cut.

Source: GM Street Podcast 

Aug 29 - 1:17 PM

Cobb is one of Rodgers' few trusted targets. I highly doubt he gets cut, but crazier things have happened. He was interviewed by pal James Jones recently and made and off hand remark about how fantasy players are gonna be surprised by his production this year since he's finally healthy. He sounded convincing. We'll see.

Cobb is one of Rodgers' few trusted targets. I highly doubt he gets cut, but crazier things have happened. He was interviewed by pal James Jones recently and made and off hand remark about how fantasy players are gonna be surprised by his production this year since he's finally healthy. He sounded convincing. We'll see.
That interview was in late July. He re-injured the ankle that he had surgery on sometime in the middle of August.

I think there's a gap between Cobb's chronological and biological age. Chronologically he's 28 but biologically he's like 34 and could just be over the hill as far as WRs are concerned. He's always banged up, doesn't play well through injury and just doesn't seem to move as fluidly as he did earlier in his career.

Yeah, who is next in line? Allison? Moore? Some other chucklehead?
I'm pretty sure either Yancey or St. Brown would man the slot. Moore is used on the perimeter. 

Okay I was not specific enough. I think most of us viewed Cobb as the #2 fantasy WR in GB. Do you think Yancey or St Brown becomes that guy or would it be Moore (or Allison)? Regardless of where they line up.

Not Graham, he is the #2 guy overall in GB (I think he may outproduce Adams) but I'm talking WRs specifically.

SameSongNDance said:
That interview was in late July. He re-injured the ankle that he had surgery on sometime in the middle of August.

I think there's a gap between Cobb's chronological and biological age. Chronologically he's 28 but biologically he's like 34 and could just be over the hill as far as WRs are concerned. He's always banged up, doesn't play well through injury and just doesn't seem to move as fluidly as he did earlier in his career.

I'm pretty sure either Yancey or St. Brown would man the slot. Moore is used on the perimeter. 
The interview was last week on his birthday. He had a minor surgery in the offseason to remove a bone chip from his ankle, which he said had been bothering him the last couple years (perhaps why he's looked sluggish). He says the bone chip caused him sharp pain, which is now gone, though he did miss about a week of practice in early August due to soreness in the surgically repaired ankle - soreness, though, not re-injury.

He may or may not ever be what he was before getting hurt the last few years (shoulder in 2015, ankle in 2016, 2017), but the last time we saw this dude healthy, he put up 91/1287/12. He has a career 70% catch rate and Rodgers' trust. And he can be had for a bag of chips this draft season.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000950203/Cobb-Young-WRs-responded-tremendously-to-Rodgers-calling-them-out

I keep seeing that Cobb is on the block, set to make 8 mil, and that it wouldn’t be surprising if he’s a late camp cut. I’ve taken a flier at the end of the draft on the young guys but outside of adams that wr Corp is muddy. I can’t put a finger on who is valuable, but someone there is going to have value. 

I just can’t buy into the vague speculation about him being released. Rodgers has already expressed frustration over his QB coach and Nelson being sent packing and Cobb is basically the last of “his guys” left. Does the organization really want to mess with Rodgers again? 

Seems like offseason nonesense from a national reporter not tied into the team.

I keep seeing that Cobb is on the block, set to make 8 mil, and that it wouldn’t be surprising if he’s a late camp cut. I’ve taken a flier at the end of the draft on the young guys but outside of adams that wr Corp is muddy. I can’t put a finger on who is valuable, but someone there is going to have value. 
Cobb

Yes, I’m just saying for a last round flier I’ll take one of the other guys in case that actually happens, or if someone gets injured, or one wins the wr3 job. Cobb and Allison have typically been drafted in my drafts, but I got Allison with my last pick. That’s value- and could be huge if Cobb did get cut or injured. 

Looking at the possibility of Cobb getting cut, from a salary cap perspective:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers

Cobb in last year of his deal.  Cutting him results in dead cap of 3.25 mill.  Savings of about 9.5 mill.  

Pack has 10 mill in cap space, so that 9.5 mill would probably be rolled over to next year, assuming they make no big expenditures during the season. An expense that big would have to be a trade, which is far from certain (Khalil Mack, whaaaatttt!!!!!!!!)

Adding 9 mill in cap space is always nice.  The Pack DO have about 30 mill in cap space next year.  There isn't a ton of dead weight they can cut, Tramon Williams will surely be cut, freeing up almost 5 mill, but the only other name that jumps out is Mike Daniels, and I'm pretty sure that would be a surprise (as of this moment).  

Free agents the Pack might want to re-sign include Clay Matthews, Muhammad Wilkerson, Ha-ha Clinton-Dix, Lance Kendricks, Davon House, Jake Ryan.  The Pack are never active in the free agent market, so it seems like they are OK for next year, right now 14th in projected cap space.  That rank will change, other teams have more salary they can clear, but the Pack are fine.  

In order to rationalize cutting Cobb, you really need to think he's washed.  The Pack have every intention of competing for the Super Bowl this year.  If he IS their 2nd best WR, saving 9 mill for '19 cap space isn't worth cutting him.  OR, you have to think the Pack are convinced that Allison, and the rookie WRs with the brutal names are ready to contribute to a playoff team.  

If they had made that trade for Switzer, I might have been convinced.  But as far as I know, there's not  really another guy that does what Cobb does on that team.  I know EQ plays the slot, but in a completely different way than Cobb.  

Looking at the possibility of Cobb getting cut, from a salary cap perspective:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers

Cobb in last year of his deal.  Cutting him results in dead cap of 3.25 mill.  Savings of about 9.5 mill.  

Pack has 10 mill in cap space, so that 9.5 mill would probably be rolled over to next year, assuming they make no big expenditures during the season. An expense that big would have to be a trade, which is far from certain (Khalil Mack, whaaaatttt!!!!!!!!)

Adding 9 mill in cap space is always nice.  The Pack DO have about 30 mill in cap space next year.  There isn't a ton of dead weight they can cut, Tramon Williams will surely be cut, freeing up almost 5 mill, but the only other name that jumps out is Mike Daniels, and I'm pretty sure that would be a surprise (as of this moment).  

Free agents the Pack might want to re-sign include Clay Matthews, Muhammad Wilkerson, Ha-ha Clinton-Dix, Lance Kendricks, Davon House, Jake Ryan.  The Pack are never active in the free agent market, so it seems like they are OK for next year, right now 14th in projected cap space.  That rank will change, other teams have more salary they can clear, but the Pack are fine.  

In order to rationalize cutting Cobb, you really need to think he's washed.  The Pack have every intention of competing for the Super Bowl this year.  If he IS their 2nd best WR, saving 9 mill for '19 cap space isn't worth cutting him.  OR, you have to think the Pack are convinced that Allison, and the rookie WRs with the brutal names are ready to contribute to a playoff team.  

If they had made that trade for Switzer, I might have been convinced.  But as far as I know, there's not  really another guy that does what Cobb does on that team.  I know EQ plays the slot, but in a completely different way than Cobb.  
I bolded the incorrect parts but otherwise a great post.  Clay has been on record that he won't take a significant pay cut so this is his last year in GB. He's in his 30's and is breaking down. The free agent thing may have been true under Thompson but he's gone.  Gut (sp) is quite a bit different that TT. He's not going to go crazy in free agency but bringing in Wilkerson and Graham this year shows things are a bit different in GB now.

I bolded the incorrect parts but otherwise a great post.  Clay has been on record that he won't take a significant pay cut so this is his last year in GB. He's in his 30's and is breaking down. The free agent thing may have been true under Thompson but he's gone.  Gut (sp) is quite a bit different that TT. He's not going to go crazy in free agency but bringing in Wilkerson and Graham this year shows things are a bit different in GB now.
Thanks.  Where do you come out?  Think he's cut?

Chris Harris has been saying for weeks Cobb will be cut. Not an insider's view, just has all the earmarks (planted rumors of being shopped, 12M last year contract of a declining production veteran, et al.

Given their WR depth chart, personally I think it comes down to keeping Trevor Davis or Jake Kumerow, and the latter has been battling a shoulder injury. Top 3 are who we expected and they try to protect all three rookies (J’Mon Moore, Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Equanimeous St. Brown.)

Users who are viewing this thread