What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dez Bishop - Packers - Injury (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld via Packer beat writer reporting a sprained knee tweaked hamstring combination injury.

In addition to a knee sprain, Packers ILB Desmond Bishop also suffered a potential hamstring injury in Thursday's preseason opener.

"Desmond's injury didn't look very good," acknowledged coach Mike McCarthy. "Hopefully we'll get some good news but it's up in the air." Bishop will have to undergo testing to determine the severity of the sprain. He was projected to be a top-15 IDP linebacker for the 2012 season. Aug. 10 - 12:00 am et
Sprain sounds good to me, but of course this is premature.

Rotoworld via Packer beat writer reporting a sprained knee tweaked hamstring combination injury.

In addition to a knee sprain, Packers ILB Desmond Bishop also suffered a potential hamstring injury in Thursday's preseason opener.

"Desmond's injury didn't look very good," acknowledged coach Mike McCarthy. "Hopefully we'll get some good news but it's up in the air." Bishop will have to undergo testing to determine the severity of the sprain. He was projected to be a top-15 IDP linebacker for the 2012 season. Aug. 10 - 12:00 am et
Sprain sounds good to me, but of course this is premature.
They will test House more at 1PM and probably Bishop too.

They will test House more at 1PM and probably Bishop too.
Is that 1PM east coast time? I'm seriously worried, that looked bad....
It was a tweet from House and assume it's central time. He hasn't answered question about Bishop."@devo_31: Going inn at 1 to see if everything Is good pray for me" I was hoping DJ Smith would replace Hawk-after coming back from the calf (in camp) Desmond was having the best camp of anyone diving for interceptions, etc. The coaching staff said they'd updtate sometime today or this weekend :unsure: Don't they know people are hanging on this news-they are off until sunday. I'm going down then and will try and update what I can.

New storyIt's wait and see on Bishop and Hawk.

Another beat reporter

@RobDemovsky: Just got off the phone with #Packers GM Ted Thompson and he said "I have nothing to report" on the injuries, specifically Desmond Bishop.

Hopefully we will hear something this afternoon.

Let me add-DJ Smith is a similar player-very instinctive but also very young. I was hoping he would replace Hawk who doesn't make many plays, so hold onto him if Bishop is OK.

Both were 6th round picks and may replace 2 1st rounders(Barnett and Hawk).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this is good news or not....the knee is fine.....

The Packers fear ILB Desmond Bishop will miss "a good portion, if not all" of the upcoming season due to a severe right hamstring injury.

It sounds like a rupture of the muscle. Coach Mike McCarthy conceded after the preseason opener that Bishop's injury "didn't look very good," and he underwent testing Friday morning. Although Bishop initially appeared to suffer injuries to both his knee and hamstring, the knee checked out fine. It sounds like he may be sidelined for months with the hamstring injury, though.

Not sure if this is good news or not....the knee is fine.....The Packers fear ILB Desmond Bishop will miss "a good portion, if not all" of the upcoming season due to a severe right hamstring injury.It sounds like a rupture of the muscle. Coach Mike McCarthy conceded after the preseason opener that Bishop's injury "didn't look very good," and he underwent testing Friday morning. Although Bishop initially appeared to suffer injuries to both his knee and hamstring, the knee checked out fine. It sounds like he may be sidelined for months with the hamstring injury, though.
:kicksrock: Does anyone have a video of the play? I missed ~ the first half of the game last night so didn't see it...sounds ugly.

Not sure if this is good news or not....the knee is fine.....The Packers fear ILB Desmond Bishop will miss "a good portion, if not all" of the upcoming season due to a severe right hamstring injury.It sounds like a rupture of the muscle. Coach Mike McCarthy conceded after the preseason opener that Bishop's injury "didn't look very good," and he underwent testing Friday morning. Although Bishop initially appeared to suffer injuries to both his knee and hamstring, the knee checked out fine. It sounds like he may be sidelined for months with the hamstring injury, though.
:kicksrock: Does anyone have a video of the play? I missed ~ the first half of the game last night so didn't see it...sounds ugly.
Couldn't find one (maybe because it was pretty ugly)I can take a photo of the screen if you like but what happened is he had his leg extended with the knee almost vertical(locked straight out) and Ronnie Brown and others fell on it so it was hyperextended.If it's the hamstring probably pulled it severely or tore it. People fall on legs all the time but this year seems to be more injury ridden.

Anybody think there is any chance the Packers look for some help outside the current roster and sign someone like EJ Henderson? Or is DJ Smith a better option for the Packers?

Anybody think there is any chance the Packers look for some help outside the current roster and sign someone like EJ Henderson? Or is DJ Smith a better option for the Packers?
Knowing Ted Thompson and how he likes to use his own players I'd say no but he did sign Benson. He also likes to stay young >with the RB's he was forced to get someone.Let me add-Moses is having a good camp but at OLB. Terrell Manning is a rookie but is an option but DJ Smith is the best option unless someone else gets hurt.

'cr8f said:
'Illegal Pants Downfield said:
'matttyl said:
Couldn't find one (maybe because it was pretty ugly)I can take a photo of the screen if you like but what happened is he had his leg extended with the knee almost vertical(locked straight out) and Ronnie Brown and others fell on it so it was hyperextended.If it's the hamstring probably pulled it severely or tore it. People fall on legs all the time but this year seems to be more injury ridden.
Thanks, that's what I was picturing in my head, based on the whole "knee? hamstring? both?" dynamic of the injury description...sad as a Packer fan; Bishop was a fiery presence on that defense, hard to replace. Here's hoping that Smith can bridge the gap, and hopefully Bishop won't miss the whole season...

Well, Smith was on my WW so I put in a pretty steep bid for him. I was really pulling for Bishop this year. Was hoping he'd put in a full season and show everyone his stud numbers that people have still been hesitant to notice so far. It's amazing how many people will still throw out other, more popular LB names and not realize that Bishop is a far better choice. I grabbed him when he was still a back up and have been pulling for him ever since.

I hope he heals up fine and doesn't have lingering effects from that hamstring for the rest of his career. He's too good a player to not be on the field.

But before I go all "see you next season!" on him...

Has anyone heard anything official yet? I'm hoping just a strain of some sorts.

Practice started-no word on Bishop. Maybe after practice, they did release good news on House so that looks to be bad (or no estimate yet) on Bishop.

I'm leaving early for Green Bay so may not hear anything tonight.

Desmond Bishop will need surgery for his hamstring injury. May be a candidate for the new IR rule but it sounds more likely out for season. Surgery will determine the extent of injury and recovery time.

I just noticed that somehow Donald Butler is still available in our league. I put in a stiff bid for him. I hope Bishop goes on IR soon so I can free up roster spots.

I just noticed that somehow Donald Butler is still available in our league. I put in a stiff bid for him. I hope Bishop goes on IR soon so I can free up roster spots.
Donald Butler available??? That's the kind of league I need to be in! Lol
Don't assume, my friend. It's a keeper league with lots of stuff going on right now. With our scoring system Butler is projected to be around the 25th to 30th rated LB (FBG projections - not mine. I like him a bit more). When the top 60 or so LBs are rostered and trades are going on and add/drops and trying to fit everyone onto a limited roster - then things happen. As I traced back to how Butler got out there it seems it was a hard decision by an owner who already had 3 studs at that position (he's been holding them for years). Nobody bit on his trade offer before deadline to pick up a WR he needed.With assumptions like yours - maybe I'd love to have you in our league. ;)

Don't assume, my friend. It's a keeper league with lots of stuff going on right now. With our scoring system Butler is projected to be around the 25th to 30th rated LB (FBG projections - not mine. I like him a bit more). When the top 60 or so LBs are rostered and trades are going on and add/drops and trying to fit everyone onto a limited roster - then things happen. As I traced back to how Butler got out there it seems it was a hard decision by an owner who already had 3 studs at that position (he's been holding them for years). Nobody bit on his trade offer before deadline to pick up a WR he needed.With assumptions like yours - maybe I'd love to have you in our league. ;)
With Jene's updated IDP tiers, you just snatched up an Elite LB. Unless you only start one or two LBs, he should never be dropped. I question the other owner more than anything.

'SeanTaylor21 said:
With Jene's updated IDP tiers, you just snatched up an Elite LB. Unless you only start one or two LBs, he should never be dropped. I question the other owner more than anything.
Donald Butler is not elite. At LB you either got it or you don't. Instincts cannot be taught. Sell while the price is high. ESPN and FBG can be a savvy owners best friend because the hype always exceeds reality.As far as the thread goes, I'd watch preseason to see if Hawk or Smith gets the MLB job in the $0.05. That position in that D on that team is worth 15 solos minimum over the course of the season. Even Hawk can be a LB2 if he gets it.

'SeanTaylor21 said:
I won't bog down the thread with pointless arguments as so often happens. I'll leave it at this: It's dumbfounding to me that you can still say "he should never be dropped" in my league when I just finished telling you that he was rated 25-30 in our scoring system when the drop was made. You argue while not knowing any of our deadlines for drops/adds, not knowing our scoring system, not knowing the 3 other LBs on his team rated in the top 20 that he's been blessed with, not knowing the injuries he's already been hit with, not knowing... need I go on? If you're going to pick an argument at least pick one you know something, anything, about. I could list his entire roster, list his injuries, list the LBs on his roster - but really no one wants to see it. Especially you - since it would prove that you were unequivocally wrong. In his situation the only thing he might of done better is push for a trade earlier - which he probably would've gotten.As for Desmond - has anyone heard anyting about the IR he's going to be on? Full year or partial?

As for Desmond - has anyone heard anyting about the IR he's going to be on? Full year or partial?.
there is no partial IR. This year though teams will have the option to pull 1 guy off IR after week 6 (or maybe 8). So you won't know till then. But I'd keep in mind that this is the same organization that never put Nick Collins on IR last year so you may not get a chance to do it

Hopefully with the partial IR option they'll go ahead and put him there. And by partial I mean not a full year. Seems I caused confusion with that word. My bad.

'Shane Falco said:
'Hoss Style said:
As for Desmond - has anyone heard anyting about the IR he's going to be on? Full year or partial?.
there is no partial IR. This year though teams will have the option to pull 1 guy off IR after week 6 (or maybe 8). So you won't know till then. But I'd keep in mind that this is the same organization that never put Nick Collins on IR last year so you may not get a chance to do it
No changes to the Injured Reserve rules have been finalized by the NFLPA yet, so IR still means out for the season.From 8/10/2012http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bostonnew-england-patriots&id=4726846&city=boston
According to ESPN senior NFL writer John Clayton, teams were notified on Tuesday that the modified injured reserve rule, as well as a later trade deadline, also passed in May, are still awaiting approval by the NFLPA. The modified injured reserve rule would allow teams to keep one player, who was injured before the regular season, off their active roster for only the first eight weeks of the regular season. Otherwise, injured reserve would remain season-ending.

'Shane Falco said:
'Hoss Style said:
As for Desmond - has anyone heard anyting about the IR he's going to be on? Full year or partial?

No changes to the Injured Reserve rules have been finalized by the NFLPA yet, so IR still means out for the season.From 8/10/2012

http://m.espn.go.com...846&city=boston

According to ESPN senior NFL writer John Clayton, teams were notified on Tuesday that the modified injured reserve rule, as well as a later trade deadline, also passed in May, are still awaiting approval by the NFLPA.

The modified injured reserve rule would allow teams to keep one player, who was injured before the regular season, off their active roster for only the first eight weeks of the regular season. Otherwise, injured reserve would remain season-ending.
Ahhh... good info. I thought it was already in effect. Any reason you know of that it might not be be approved by the NFLPA? Or is this just a normal thing where it takes some time?

I won't bog down the thread with pointless arguments as so often happens. I'll leave it at this: It's dumbfounding to me that you can still say "he should never be dropped" in my league when I just finished telling you that he was rated 25-30 in our scoring system when the drop was made. You argue while not knowing any of our deadlines for drops/adds, not knowing our scoring system, not knowing the 3 other LBs on his team rated in the top 20 that he's been blessed with, not knowing the injuries he's already been hit with, not knowing... need I go on? If you're going to pick an argument at least pick one you know something, anything, about. I could list his entire roster, list his injuries, list the LBs on his roster - but really no one wants to see it. Especially you - since it would prove that you were unequivocally wrong. In his situation the only thing he might of done better is push for a trade earlier - which he probably would've gotten.As for Desmond - has anyone heard anyting about the IR he's going to be on? Full year or partial?

You just said he's in the 25-30 range and 60 LB's rostered. You shouldn't be shocked that someone questions why he was on the wire.

'percyharvin said:

You just said he's in the 25-30 range and 60 LB's rostered. You shouldn't be shocked that someone questions why he was on the wire.
I was never shocked - I responded "don't assume" with a brief explanation and even a ;) to show it was no big deal. And if after me explaining that it has to do with deadlines, rosters, etc and then still he questions then I don't know how to explain it to you any more plain.Please let this die.

'percyharvin said:

I was never shocked - I responded "don't assume" with a brief explanation and even a ;) to show it was no big deal. And if after me explaining that it has to do with deadlines, rosters, etc and then still he questions then I don't know how to explain it to you any more plain.Please let this die.
It was no big deal to me... a simple league explanation (roster size, starting requirements, LBs on his roster) would have been a better way to fully understand but no big deal either way.The bottom line is Des is going to eat a roster spot for me in my 45 man dynasty unless he gets moved to the IR by the Packers. We have our league set up so that you can only place them on the IR if their team has done so. I have a little room to work given the high roster number and luckily I have (start 4) Laurinaitis, McCarthy, Cushing, Donald Butler, Perry Riley, and DJ Smith. I hope for the best, Des is a monster!

As for Desmond - has anyone heard anyting about the IR he's going to be on? Full year or partial?

No changes to the Injured Reserve rules have been finalized by the NFLPA yet, so IR still means out for the season.From 8/10/2012

According to ESPN senior NFL writer John Clayton, teams were notified on Tuesday that the modified injured reserve rule, as well as a later trade deadline, also passed in May, are still awaiting approval by the NFLPA.

The modified injured reserve rule would allow teams to keep one player, who was injured before the regular season, off their active roster for only the first eight weeks of the regular season. Otherwise, injured reserve would remain season-ending.
Ahhh... good info. I thought it was already in effect. Any reason you know of that it might not be be approved by the NFLPA? Or is this just a normal thing where it takes some time?
As usual, it came down to a leverage issue on other topics. http://on-msn.com/OTTt11

As usual, it came down to a leverage issue on other topics. http://on-msn.com/OTTt11
Great link. Thank you. Using the old Congress trick of packaging changes together hoping they'll slide through largely unnoticed.This really stinks for me as a Bishop owner. Now either the Pack doesn't put him on IR hoping he'll come back later in the season (and he takes up a spot on my bench for most of the season) or they have to put him on IR and he's gone for the full year. Ugh... at least with the second option I can put him on my league's IR and free up a roster spot.

McCarthy said yesterday there would be a decision on Desmond Bishop in the "next 48 hours or so."

Still not on IR.

Users who are viewing this thread