What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who was your first fantasy football pick ever? (1 Viewer)

My very first year...Emmitt Smith 1995.

My second year (4 yrs later) and when I started actually participating and then playing every year thereafter....Curtis Martin 1999. I took Corey Dillion with my second pick and a rookie Edgerrin Smith somewhere in that draft. Fun stuff always.....

Ladainian Tomlinson... had a great first draft (2005)

Tomlinson

Holt

Trent Green/Carson Palmer

I forget who else lol... but I know I got smoked by the owner with Steve Smiff and Shaun Alexander that year

... I also remeber having Jerry Porter sitting on my bench the entire year lol

Last edited by a moderator:
1997 - Barry Sanders 1.01.

After two god awful rushing games I was ready to trade him but he exploded and ended up with 2000 yards rushing.

1996 Herman Moore it was a ppr

as far as worst first pick ever, i watched a new guy go Grbac over Favre in 97

Not my first pick, but I remember a new guy - and Vikings fan - drafting a rookie WR named Randy Moss with the 1.06. We all got a huge laugh out of that...for awhile.

2004 6th overall Peyton Manning. Not to mention some guy named Antonio Gates in the 13th round. Can you say beginers luck?

1988 3 Guys I remember from my team Neal Anderson (1st Pick), Al Toon and Neil Lomax, a couple names I have not said in a long time.

Mine was Marshal Faulk with the 6th pick... First player I drafted, I think it was in 2000. :football:

I was league Champion as well first year out... Hooked ever since.

My first time ever playing was in a salary cap league on yahoo back in the late 90s, so didn't really have a pick.

It was actually a pretty cool concept as each guy had a salary and you set your team for week 1. The guys' values went up or down depending on demand throughout the preseason and through the entire season. You were allowed to switch out up to 3 players each week. If the guys' value on your roster went up, your salary cap went up.

Pretty fun and easy way to ease into fantasy football.

1989 Barry Sanders
This. Took him at 1.03 and everybody ridiculed me, then half way thru the season, the commish decides to turn it into a keeper league where we could keep one player off our roster (hey, we were 15 and there weren't even fantasy mags, this made perfect sense at the time) so I got to run Barry until he quit running.#coolstarrybra

Jerry Rice. semi-interesting story: Years later I decided our league needed a trophy for the championship and i wanted to include the year the league started. I knew that my very first pick ever was Jerry rice and that I picked him because A he was a monster at the time and B he was NEVER hurt. Fast foward back to the trophy and the way I was able to figure out the year was because after a lengthy carreer, rice suffered his first real injury in his carreer that year lost for the year very early and I was able to determine the start date for the year by looking at his stats for the goose egg year.

it might have been mark super duper in 1984 but i can not remember if i played before that anyhow back then you would get made fun of for taking a wr early and he did good that year but not good enough that everyone did not make fun of me me but then i took him again for 85 and 86 and in 86 he finally blew it up like it was a diaper and he was 1 and he just had too many strained peas that year and then i got to stick it back in the faces of everyone who had doubted me and i was sort of like the king of my league back then and i was like hey take that pampers but that was back in the days of pencil and paper and fighting about scoring becasuse the commissioner could not add his way out of a paper bag i do not know why we let some guy from thefloor be the commish anyhow but that is another story for another time long story short fantasy football is better when it does not involve stamped regular us postal mail algthuogh i will say that the internet has sort of ruined anything being secret and has made this game way too easy take to that bank brohanista from portarica

It is crazy the amount of information we have now compared to the 80s and 90s. Back when I first started, every year someone would pick a player in the first or second round that was out for the year.

In some ways, I miss those days. You really had to know what you were doing to be successful. Now, every website has rankings and up to the second news. It is easy to be an amateur and draft a solid team.

My first year was 2006. I ended up taking a ton of Panthers players throughout the draft as a homer, but my first overall pick was Larry Johnson.

I ended up winning the league without making a single free agent pickup or trade, and only set my starting lineup each Sunday...usually just going by my gut without having any reasoning behind the picks. I ended up starting Johnson (2100 total yards), and Ladell Betts (who I had on my roster for some reason, even though I didn't have Clinton Portis). I also had Michael Vick on my team, in a 1000 yard rushing year.

It's amazing how easy things seem when you have beginners luck.

It is crazy the amount of information we have now compared to the 80s and 90s. Back when I first started, every year someone would pick a player in the first or second round that was out for the year. In some ways, I miss those days. You really had to know what you were doing to be successful. Now, every website has rankings and up to the second news. It is easy to be an amateur and draft a solid team.
:goodposting:Now idiots have it easy. Edges are minimal and the return on investment on doing your own research is lowered.

2 leagues 20ish years ago I picked Andre Rison on one and Kijana Carter in the other. Not my best drafts.

1999 drafted Steve Young the year he was concussed into retirement. Luckily, picked up Kurt Warner to be Young's backup after his week 1 performance on a whim. Warner ended up carrying me to a fantasy football championship in my first year (had a lot of luck).
I dont know how I picked, but I picked up Kurt at the tail end of that draft.C H A M P I O N S H I P Peace

I never heard of FF before. I was asked by co-workers if I wanted to go for beers and join their FFL. I said sure.

I get there...it's $50. Everyone has these worksheets... I just show up. I don't really follow football. The only player I know of was recent draft pick by the Seahawks...Keep in mind we play DEF/SPT not IDPs.

"Shawn SPRINGS" ...I'm informed that we can't play IDPS and generally DEF are picked last

"Joey Galloway" ... "OK...this is your last freebie. Joey is in a contract holdout the entire season... pick another player you have 2 minutes.

I don't know any other players..

Buddy says...well think of someone...he's a Bronco's fan...I picked the only Bronco I knew still playing.

"SHannon SHarpe" ...he hurt his shoulder on like the first catch of the season and was out the rest of the year.

I was last...but I was 3 & 3 at one point and beat a guy that was talking smack because Tim Biakabatuka had 2 runs of >50yds for TDs.

Next year I got 3rd

Next year I got 1st.

1st pick was Eddie George, 2nd Moss, 3rd Tony Gonzalez.

Ended up getting Jeff Garcia off waivers and cruised to a championship. Ryan Longwell and Hakim were on that team too. Needed a RB for bye week and picked up a rookie RB who was getting little press just for that one week (can't remember his name) scored 3 TDs that day.

Beginner's luck for sure but I was hooked.

1992 --first year i ever heard of FF

the guy running the league invited a bunch of newbies over and we drew random draft slots for EACH round

i got 6th pick in round 1 -- 11th in round 2 and (i think) 10th in round 3 --strange, but i didn't know any better to complain.

had never drafted or even seen a FF draft before and the 1st 5 picks were QBs -- Marino, Cunningham, Montana... don't remember exactly the other 2...

anyways, at 6 i figured i'd better get a QB because they are going FAST... so i took Jim Kelly

the commish drafted next... takes Emmitt Smith (the first non-QB off the board) --

league was not head-2-head but instead overall points cumulative over 16 weeks (no playoffs)-- commish won with more than DOUBLE the points of the 2nd place guy.

waivers were first-come, first serve... everytime i called in a waiver pick commish says 'sorry' somebody already picked him up (VERY FRUSTRATING) (no computers were used- you had to call in your roster each week and give the commish self-addressed stamped envelopes to mail to you if you wanted the weekly results)

anyways, that's how i got hooked on fantasy football. (thanks Jim Kelly!)

Addai in '07. Had the turn at the bottom of the 1st...went with Fitz next.

Wasn't the greatest 1st round pick, but I lucked out with Derek Anderson, Lynch in his rookie season, Braylon Edwards, and Wes Welker. Won the 'ship that season.

Drafted Addai the next year in Round 2 as my RB1 again...

SPOILER: didn't win that year.

1.04 Brett Favre.

2.17 Barry Sanders

1994. Didn't win the title but I did the following year. Kept sanders as franchise player through 1998

Users who are viewing this thread