What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

>>>> Owning McFadden <<<< (4 Viewers)

[icon]

Insoxicated
We've got a spotlight thread for him but I figured I'd start a thread for all DMac owners out there to communicate about the nuances of owning this rather special player. For the first time in my fantasy "career" I'm aggressively targeting McFadden in several drafts. Purely a hunch but I think in this crop of RB's, his all pro level of PPG scoring, matched with a firm support crew in the event (when?) he goes down is a good path to FF glory.

What this thread IS for:

1) Posting about where you're targeting DMac in your draft and where you got him

2) Posting about Handcuffing strategies you might employ to mitigate risk

3) Posting in season thoughts about the evolving Oakland RB situation behind DMac in order to better enable owners to roster viable handcuffs.

4) Posting about his weekly play and thoughts about potential situations that might keep him off the field

What this thread is NOT for:

1) Posting "He's gonna get hurt, I wouldn't draft him" and such...

2) Posting "I told you he'd get hurt" style chest-thumping if he gets hurt

3) Posting about the same tired debate over whether players can be "injury prone" or not

4) Projecting stats for what you expect out of McFadden this year.

5) Posting "Should I make this trade" and other roster management topics that belong in the ACF.

People who pick him know that there are risks inherent.

With that said..... Let's do this! Who's in? :excited:

---

Leagues I am targeting McFadden in:

10 Team Office League PPR ($120 - 1 Keeper) - Start 1RB / 2WR / 2FLEX

• Have Cam kept in the final round. Top 3 RBs already kept (among others)

PICK TARGETED:

Drafting at 1.06 and hoping he's there. (CJ3 and Megatron are confirmed off the board at 1.01 and 1.02)

FOLLOWUP STRATEGY:

With 1.07/08/09 being keepers behind me I'll only have 5 picks before my 2nd round pick so I'll be HOPING to pick up Graham (Gronk/Hernandez kept) with 12th overall .... then take WR/RB value as it falls. The 1/2 and 2 Flex starting requirements gives a lot of flexibility in rostering guys... only really NEED one RB in a pinch.

-

16 Team League (Standard) ($300 - 1 Keeper) - Start 1RB / 2WR / 1FLEX

• Have Arian Foster Kept in 9th Round - Top 5 QB's kept / QB Heavy

PICK TARGETED:

Drafting at 1.13 (12th pick) and I'm hoping he lasts to me here.

FOLLOWUP STRATEGY

WIth two stud RBs (if I'm lucky) I'll be locked into focusing on WR/TE/QB with the next several picks. If I got him I'd likely try to get a top TE with pick 17 (none kept) or a Roddy White / AJ Green type. Then shoot to get Ryan on the 3/4 turn (very QB heavy league where backups start coming off the board in the 6th round). HAving Foster gives a nice cushion in the event DMac goes down.

Last edited by a moderator:
on #2, I am a bit worried that Goodson is not back at practice yet. I am not seeing a clear handcuff to McFadden like when Bush was there, which makes him much riskier. The Raiders were reportedly trying to get Benson which means they don't see a clear backup either.

I am actually now targeting him at #4 overall.

Keeper league - 1qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1 flex - .5 ppr

Rodgers is being kept, so the big 3 RB (Foster, Rice, McCoy) will go 1,2,3.

I was set on taking Matthews, but that 'broke'. It's between the following:

1. Chris Johnson - I don't like the 3-year downward trend in stats. I don't buy the coach speak that he is in better shape, great camp, etc.

2. Matt Forte - Don't know if Cutler will dump off to him less because of his new toy again in Brandon Marshall

3. Calvin Johnson - WR is so deep this year, and unfortunately I have been hit by the "Madden Curse" twice.

I will probably swing for the fences and take the guy that could be RB1 at the end of the year. Maybe come back with Matthews/Peterson/Charles in the 2nd round and hope they come back in time if McFadden were to get hurt again. The potential of having a McFadden/Matthews combo could be HUGE if both healthy. I will also probably take my RB3 a little sooner than I normally would and rely on hitting on a couple of WR in the middle rounds. I am not concerning myself with trying to figure out who the handcuff would be if McFadden went down. I think Palmer would just throw the ball all day.

on #2, I am a bit worried that Goodson is not back at practice yet. I am not seeing a clear handcuff to McFadden like when Bush was there, which makes him much riskier. The Raiders were reportedly trying to get Benson which means they don't see a clear backup either.
Agreed. That's one of the reason I started this thread, to keep handcuff discussion active. I'm hoping that by the time (if) Dmac goes down, the situation clarifies. :thumbup:

How confident are you that Goodson is the established handoff for McFadden? I have McFadden, and Goodson may have enough injury concerns that I'm unhappy with both the starter and the handcuff.

McFadden will be the death of me.

If he's there at 12 for me, I don't know if I can pass. But I also won't be able to rest easy all season thinking he's going to get hurt.

At the same time, while he's healthy I arguably have the best RB talent in the game.

No clear backup makes it even harder.

Oof.

I'm in a keeper league where I have a first round pick available, and I'll have the fourth player. I am positive that CJ2K and Brees will be the first two to go off the board, with MJD probably going third (the person in front of me is not a great fantasy player and always chases previous years stats) so I'll most likely have to choose between Mcfadden and Forte. I like both guys, but Mcfadden is probably the direction I'm leaning, because I think he represents the most upside, and I think I'll need it because I don't have another sure-fire top guy (my other keepers are Murray and Lynch).

I guess I'm reluctantly on board.

:blackdot:

I don't expect to be able to get McFadden in my redraft league, but I own him in one of my dynasty leagues, so I'm interested in following the handcuff discussion.

HANDCUFF CANDIDATE #1 : MIke Goodson (ADP ~RB60)

Arguably the frontrunner in this 3 horse race, Goodson was stuck behind JStew and Deangelo in Carolina but now finds himself in Oakland. He too has an injury history but his speed has his name on the list.

Latest news on Goodson per FBG News Blog:

Raiders | Mike Goodson likely to return Wednesday (Tue Aug 14, 08:36 PM) - Oakland Raiders RB Mike Goodson (neck) will 'probably' return to practice Wednesday, Aug. 15, after missing the last week. Tests on his neck were negative, and he could play in the preseason game Friday, Aug. 17.

FBG View: This is a good sign for the best handcuff to Darren McFadden, but another preseason injury and we might have to move on from him as the best injury hedge for the Raiders starting running back.
With Taiwan Jones dinged (hamstring), the Neck issues of Goodson aren't as big of a detriment... the question is, can he grab a firm hold on the backup job and, secondly, will he be able to stay healthy if he does?

wrong forum, MODS move to the AC forum please
agreed. LOOK AT ME!!! I own McFadden. I'm special! :rolleyes:
If you would have actually read the OP, You'd know I don't actually own him in any leagues as of yet... This is a discussion for where folks are attempting to get / getting him and what I/They are doing or hope to do to build around him. Then once the season begins, it's to discuss what Is likely to be an ongoing fluid handcuff situation.

It's a very viable topic. If you don't have anything to contribute please move along. Thanks. :thumbup:

I passed on brees to take this guy 8th or 9th, but mostly because I wanted to experiment with taking a qb late.

I basically single handedly ruined about a dozen rb's last year, so sorry if he gets knocked out in preseason.

2001 SF - 509 rush att (2nd ranked)

2002 SF - 489 (5th)

2003 SF - 499 (6th)

2004 ATL - 524 (5th)(worked with allen)

2005 ATL - 531 (3rd)(worked with allen)

2006 ATL - 537 (1st)

2007 OAK - 508 (4th)(24th ranked def)

2008 OAK - 459 (10th)(fargas 218c, baby mcfadden 113c, bush 95c)(26th ranked def)

2009 SEA - 395 (26th)(julius jones / forsett)

gogo greg knapp!!!

although, he does seem to be kind of an rbbc guy..... :thumbdown:

He's gonna get hurt, I wouldn't draft him.

....why do you need to start a copy topic when this is clearly exactly what the spotlight is for?

Oh wait...

I don't understand the talk about drafting him in the first round if you're petrified of him getting injured. If you really love his talent, draft someone close, and trade for him midseason, when the guy who has him thinks he's selling high by getting first round value for him. There are very few owners who hang onto a guy they're scared of all season yet consider him untouchable in trade.

I probably won't be owning DMC but I think M. Reece is the handcuff. He has Wr speed in a fb body.
i think this is the guy you will want to own. i dont think anyone is worthy of a handcuff though. it will likely be an rbbc with a 40/40 split with goodson/reece, then taiwan sprinkled in on 3rd downs. from the eyeball test last year, taiwan is obviously the most explosive. reece is a good all around player, and i see goodson as an avg back.if i were going to pick one it would be reece.

and i dont know if it because of injuries, but the raiders official website has taiwan jones as the backup and goodson as the 3rd and miller as the 4th

Goodson was having a tremendous camp until a brutal hit put him in the hospital last week with a "neck injury." Latest word is that he's doing much better and that he should be back soon.

I really like Goodson and think he's much better suited as the primary handcuff than Taiwan Jones, who still needs to add about 10-15 lbs to his frame to be an effective RB in this league IMO.

mcfadden is such a tease. he looked great the other night and i am sure he will go in the middle first round of drafts. many teams will will win/lose on his health and if you can tell I am one of the doubters...

McFadden was criminally undervalued this off-season. Here was some auction results for RB's in May: (I won McFadden)

McFadden - $77

Mathews - $114

Foster - $127

Murray - $85

Stewart - $62

Rice - $129

McCoy - $122

I noticed he jumped up in my rankings generated by the Projections Dominator to tied for 6th overall with Brady, just behind Brees.

McFadden's handcuff will be

1. A Goodson/Jones RBBC

2. A running back McKenzie picks up after he is cut.

There was a comment somewhere here to watch whether the keep another FB - if so, it may indicate bigger plans for Reece. Sounded intelligent to me. In a PPR Reece is intriguing.

McFadden's handcuff will be1. A Goodson/Jones RBBC2. A running back McKenzie picks up after he is cut.
Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie explained that he did not sign Cedric Benson because of his confidence in Mike Goodson as Darren McFadden's backup.The Raiders talked with Benson before camp, but he balked at their offers. The organization moved on when Goodson turned out to be "better than (McKenzie) thought he was." Observed the rookie GM, "(Goodson) picked up the blitz-pickup stuff, when to release out, the timing ... that stuff, he is a natural. And he's tougher than people give him credit for. The talent is hard to hide, his slashing skills, his quickness and ability to catch the ball." Goodson is ahead of Taiwan Jones.

Still no word that Goodson has returned to practice.

Oop, yes there is:

On the injury front, running back Mike Goodson and wide receiver Eddie McGee returned to practice from their respective injuries, according to Steve Corkran’s Twitter page.

In his first practice back from a neck injury, running back Mike Goodson looked “good to go” when he had a nice burst to the right, according to Corkran. The former Carolina Panther also saw some time as a kick returner.

http://raidernationtimes.com/article.php?id=9108

Kinda surprised Rotoworld did not catch this. Goodson being healthy is pretty big news.

So, not to hijack your thread, but a guy wants Julio Jones and Ryan Williams for Darren Mcfadden and Michael Bush (I have Forte) my RBs are weak as a whole and this is non ppr dynasty. Should I pull the trigger?

In a 10 team league, with the 4th overall pick I went Rice and then with the 17th overall, guess what I landed Mcfadden. No hesitation, I grabbed him, to much value. Everyone went Qb and WR heavy, and I was stoked. DMC will win me more than a handful of games even if he gets hurt.

you guys seem to be doing a great job of hijacking it at this point one simple response and i would have been on my way (at least it had some relevance to the topic)

I'm in a 12 team PPR (RB gets same as WR in PPR). We have an auction draft and keepers at current auction value as determined by CBS Sports. I just offered this trade:

I trade Shady and VJax for DMac and Salsa.

The DMac owner declined the trade although he was tempted and thought it an interesting and fair offer.

Drafted DMC at 1.09 recently, and did not get a handcuff as its not clear to me who it is. I am most likely hoping that he starts hot in the first 3-5 weeks, and I will look to trade him at the point. That's really the only way i see to cash in on his talent, and avoid the injury risk.

you guys seem to be doing a great job of hijacking it at this point one simple response and i would have been on my way (at least it had some relevance to the topic)
The Answer To Your Question
:goodposting: Edited the first post:

What this thread is NOT for:

1) Posting "He's gonna get hurt, I wouldn't draft him" and such...

2) Posting "I told you he'd get hurt" style chest-thumping if he gets hurt

3) Posting about the same tired debate over whether players can be "injury prone" or not

4) Projecting stats for what you expect out of McFadden this year.

5) Posting "Should I make this trade" and other roster management topics that belong in the ACF.

A little snippet:

Per: Dr. Neil Ghodadra» Darren McFadden, Oakland Raiders (Lisfranc sprain): "I think he'll be able to go back to full running without any difficulties at all. I do not expect this to bother him at all. I think he's going to do just fine."

I'm in a 12 team PPR (RB gets same as WR in PPR). We have an auction draft and keepers at current auction value as determined by CBS Sports. I just offered this trade:I trade Shady and VJax for DMac and Salsa.The DMac owner declined the trade although he was tempted and thought it an interesting and fair offer.
That's a gutsy trade offer and I really like it. The smart money is on Shady and VJax but I'd bet on DMac and Cruz all day.

Raiders RB Mike Goodson (neck) is fully expected to play against the Cardinals Friday night.

Goodson returned to practice Wednesday after missing a week, including the preseason opener. He remains the favorite to function as Darren McFadden's primary backup this season.

Users who are viewing this thread