What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

>>>> Owning McFadden <<<< (1 Viewer)

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva Don't trust Taiwan Jones at all. #Raiders coaches don't either. Wouldn't be surprised if he finished game with single-digit carries. Avoid.
I wouldnt avoid entirely. grab him in case he is able to do something, but dont start him immediately unless situation dictates that you need to.hes a guy you stick on your bench, and if he had a couple of good games, you can unload him. He's not really a fantasy starter, he is a bye week or injury fill-in. Not without value, but also not the saviour of your team.

I'm just in wait and see mode this week. Got all 4 of them on my bench. We'll see who gets dropped next week.

Just traded this mule for CJ Spiller and a 2013 1st in Dynasty. He was my 1st round pick in this year's startup draft and I tried to stick it out with him but I've decided that we had to part ways.

I know, I'm playing Palmer in 2 Leagues this week, 1 where Rogers is on a bye, and 1 in place of Vick.Also played Palmer last week with Brady on a bye.. :)
Can you post your scoring system and any special rules your league has? I just want to compare your QB's and take a look at the rest of their season outlook with my projections.

F? Really? Why? Tell me why.

Yes, this is a redraft league. And no, there is no collusion. 12 team PPR and I drafted DMC in the 1st round from the 8th spot.

F? Really? Why? Tell me why.Yes, this is a redraft league. And no, there is no collusion. 12 team PPR and I drafted DMC in the 1st round from the 8th spot.
You traded a hurt starter who potentially will com e back in 2 to 3 weeks for guys who are 2nd string at best on their own squads. You didn't get anything that will help you right now.

Yes, this is a redraft league. And no, there is no collusion. 12 team PPR and I drafted DMC in the 1st round from the 8th spot.
You traded a hurt starter who potentially will com e back in 2 to 3 weeks for guys who are 2nd string at best on their own squads. You didn't get anything that will help you right now.
Neither did the other owner.I ecstatically drafted DMC in the 8th spot of the 1st round in a 12 team PPR. DMC has proven to be an abysmal disappointment this season. WHEN HE WAS HEALTHY. Raiders have the next-to-last rushing offense in the league, and whether it's lousy O-line play or DMC not able to adapt to the zone blocking scheme, or whatever, DMC's output has put him squarely in 1st-round bust territory.

(2) Uncertainty of how long he'll be out. And uncertainty of how effective he'll be when he does come back. High ankle sprains are 2-4 weeks usually. Say he tries to rush back. Good chance of re-injury. Or say he takes 4 weeks. Then we're in week 14 of the fantasy playoffs. Are you going to start him the first week after injury? Wouldn't you wait to see how he looks first before trusting him to start for you? Not only that, what kind of workload will the coaches give him upon returning back from injury? Might they ease him back, so that he might be a 10-12 touch guy instead of a 20+ carry bellcow?

(3) Jonathan Stewart was a buy-low target recently. There is an outside possibility that he'll get the bulk of the carries and RB receptions if Riviera moves away from RBBC which he said he would do, but didn't in the last game. Stewart has RB1 or RB2 ability, and can serve as a flex option too.

(4) Andre Brown is the goal line vulture and clear #2 RB after game warrior Ahmad Bradshaw. Bradshaw has been fighting foot pain all season, and if needs to get well, the Brown becomes a more than capable starting RB for the Giants.

(5) Raiders have the friendliest RB schedule in weeks 10-16. That's what I was counting on! So that's a clear tick mark in favor of DMC.

Taking all that into account, I traded him. Proven injury bust with major upside for 2 lottery tickets. It's a gamble on both sides.

20/20 hindsight will allow us to see if this was a relative downgrade or not. Maybe the 2 lottery tix will hit!

Neither did the other owner.I ecstatically drafted DMC in the 8th spot of the 1st round in a 12 team PPR. DMC has proven to be an abysmal disappointment this season. WHEN HE WAS HEALTHY. Raiders have the next-to-last rushing offense in the league, and whether it's lousy O-line play or DMC not able to adapt to the zone blocking scheme, or whatever, DMC's output has put him squarely in 1st-round bust territory.

(2) Uncertainty of how long he'll be out. And uncertainty of how effective he'll be when he does come back. High ankle sprains are 2-4 weeks usually. Say he tries to rush back. Good chance of re-injury. Or say he takes 4 weeks. Then we're in week 14 of the fantasy playoffs. Are you going to start him the first week after injury? Wouldn't you wait to see how he looks first before trusting him to start for you? Not only that, what kind of workload will the coaches give him upon returning back from injury? Might they ease him back, so that he might be a 10-12 touch guy instead of a 20+ carry bellcow?

(3) Jonathan Stewart was a buy-low target recently. There is an outside possibility that he'll get the bulk of the carries and RB receptions if Riviera moves away from RBBC which he said he would do, but didn't in the last game. Stewart has RB1 or RB2 ability, and can serve as a flex option too.

(4) Andre Brown is the goal line vulture and clear #2 RB after game warrior Ahmad Bradshaw. Bradshaw has been fighting foot pain all season, and if needs to get well, the Brown becomes a more than capable starting RB for the Giants.

(5) Raiders have the friendliest RB schedule in weeks 10-16. That's what I was counting on! So that's a clear tick mark in favor of DMC.

Taking all that into account, I traded him. Proven injury bust with major upside for 2 lottery tickets. It's a gamble on both sides.

20/20 hindsight will allow us to see if this was a relative downgrade or not. Maybe the 2 lottery tix will hit!
The other owner traded 2 bench players for the potential of a starter in 2 to 3 weeks. He risks little with a lot of upside. You risk giving up the guy you spent the 8th overall pick for a couple of bench players. He won this trade even if DMC never plays again this year.

"The other owner traded 2 bench players for the potential of a starter in 2 to 3 weeks. He risks little with a lot of upside. You risk giving up the guy you spent the 8th overall pick for a couple of bench players. He won this trade even if DMC never plays again this year."

You're not thinking clearly. If DMC never plays again this year, the other owner clearly got the worst of the trade.

These 2 bench players have the chance of being starters, and both have proven to have starter capabilities.

FWIW, I stashed Mike Goodson the whole season in case of a DMC injury. Utterly disgusted that Goodson suffered the same injury as DMC in the same game. Couldn't believe my sad luck. Waived Goodson and picked up Taiwan Jones.

My team starts Carson Palmer and Denarius Moore. Two players that I acquired through trade.

Earlier in the year, I traded Sidney Rice and Robert Turbin for Denarius Moore to the Marshawn Lynch owner.

This past week I traded Matt Ryan for Carson Palmer and Willis McGahee.

I'm invested heavily in the Silver and Black.

[FWIW, I stashed Mike Goodson the whole season in case of a DMC injury. My team starts Carson Palmer and Denarius Moore. Two players that I acquired through trade.Earlier in the year, I traded Sidney Rice and Robert Turbin for Denarius Moore to the Marshawn Lynch owner.This past week I traded Matt Ryan for Carson Palmer and Willis McGahee.I'm invested heavily in the Silver and Black.
I did something very similar in a 10-team, start 2-QB league. While it was disappointing to lose Goodson, the main reason I drafted Palmer was I saw Palmer, and not the backup RB's, as the best handcuff to McFadden. Figured if DMC went down the Raiders would go gun-slinging with Palmer like last year and it would elevate him to low QB1 status. We'll see.

I think anyone that follows the Raiders closely would be very surprised if Reece gets more than a few carries. I think the higher floor, especially in PPR is Reece, but I think Taiwan gets alomst all of the looks in the running game and has a much higher ceiling. If I had a choice between the two I would start Taiwan.
Yay! I just picked up Taiwan Jones in both my leagues. Marcel went off on Wednesday, and I picked up Taiwan cheaply today.P.S. If you could get Jonathan Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall in return for DMC, would you do it?
Would not trade him for Stewart or Mendy. Upside for McFadden is still too high for either guy IMO.

Neither did the other owner.I ecstatically drafted DMC in the 8th spot of the 1st round in a 12 team PPR. DMC has proven to be an abysmal disappointment this season. WHEN HE WAS HEALTHY.
In my PPR league (standard ppr scoring) he was RB12 in points scored at the time of the injury. Yes, he'll miss a few games most likely...but do you really trust either guy you traded for to be in RB12 range? I guess you could get better points combined, but if you're starting both of those guys, you're going to lose anyway.I understand the frustration from him not performing at the level we all expected, but his actual fantasy numbers weren't that bad.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have traded him, because I don't know your situation and what you need (i.e. need some wins to make the playoffs, etc.), but the actual trade you made was one that helped you minimally in the short-term, and most likely hurts you in the long term.

Yes, he'll miss a few games most likely...but do you really trust either guy you traded for to be in RB12 range?

Yes. Provided that they get 17-22 touches/game I do believe that Jonathan Stewart and Andre Brown will perform in the RB12 range. But will they get 17-22 touches/game? Dubious as everything stands now. Not impossible, but not probable either. A true definition of lottery ticket.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have traded him, because I don't know your situation and what you need (i.e. need some wins to make the playoffs, etc.), but the actual trade you made was one that helped you minimally in the short-term, and most likely hurts you in the long term.

Very well could be. It's a gamble that I made with eyes wide open.

P.S. Here are some trade offers that I made that got rejected this past week:

DMC + Mathews + Pitt D for Arian Foster. No.

DMC + Mathews + Pitt D + Danario Alexander for Ray Rice. No.

DMC + Mathews for Trent Richardson who's on bye. No.

DMC + Mathews for Stevan Ridley. No.

Apparently the other owners in this league dont' think much of DMC's and Mathew's future prospects.

Apparently the other owners in this league dont' think much of DMC's and Mathew's future prospects.
If I were a Richardson or Ridley owner, I would have accepted immediately. That seems like really good value to me (especially for Ridley).

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were a Richardson or Ridley owner, I would have accepted immediately. That seems like really good value to me (especially for Ridley).

Heck yeah. I thought so too.

'Ray_T said:
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva Don't trust Taiwan Jones at all. #Raiders coaches don't either. Wouldn't be surprised if he finished game with single-digit carries. Avoid.
I wouldnt avoid entirely. grab him in case he is able to do something, but dont start him immediately unless situation dictates that you need to.hes a guy you stick on your bench, and if he had a couple of good games, you can unload him. He's not really a fantasy starter, he is a bye week or injury fill-in. Not without value, but also not the saviour of your team.
I agree with the grab and stash if you have the space. Oakland has New Orleans next week and if Jones looks decent this week, he should be in line for a good/great game against NO.

'ChummyShark said:
Yes, he'll miss a few games most likely...but do you really trust either guy you traded for to be in RB12 range?

Yes. Provided that they get 17-22 touches/game I do believe that Jonathan Stewart and Andre Brown will perform in the RB12 range. But will they get 17-22 touches/game? Dubious as everything stands now. Not impossible, but not probable either. A true definition of lottery ticket.
Stewart in the 6 games he's been healthy enough to play has gone in that range once. 21 touches for 75 total yards against Chi. Every other game he's had 13 touches or less. Usually much less. Andre Brown may get you a vulture TD but unless Bradshaw gets hurt, that's all you'll get. He has less than 7 touches in every game that Bradshaw was healthy in.

'letter_j said:
'ChummyShark said:

In redraft, I wouldn't have.

'letter_j said:
'ChummyShark said:

In redraft, I wouldn't have.
You wouldn't have traded Richardson for DMC and Mathews? Or Ridley for DMC and Mathews? Well, the other owners didn't either. But I was surprised. I thought I was giving high value.

Yahoo Sports reports Darren McFadden (high-ankle sprain) is "expected back" for Week 11.

True high-ankle sprains typically require at least a two-week absence, but the fact that McFadden supposedly played through the injury in Week 9 and was "begging" to stay in suggest there's a real chance he'll be ready to play this week. Yahoo's Jason Cole also reports McFadden recently spoke to the coaching staff about tweaking the zone-blocking scheme at "the urging of owner Mark Davis." The Raiders made changes before their Week 8 win over the Chiefs, but McFadden is still averaging just 3.6 yards over his past 36 carries. He'll be a middle-of-the-road RB2 when he returns.

Source: Yahoo Sports Nov 12 - 1:33 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4649/darren-mcfadden

Yahoo Sports reports Darren McFadden (high-ankle sprain) is "expected back" for Week 11.True high-ankle sprains typically require at least a two-week absence, but the fact that McFadden supposedly played through the injury in Week 9 and was "begging" to stay in suggest there's a real chance he'll be ready to play this week. Yahoo's Jason Cole also reports McFadden recently spoke to the coaching staff about tweaking the zone-blocking scheme at "the urging of owner Mark Davis." The Raiders made changes before their Week 8 win over the Chiefs, but McFadden is still averaging just 3.6 yards over his past 36 carries. He'll be a middle-of-the-road RB2 when he returns.Source: Yahoo Sports Nov 12 - 1:33 PMhttp://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4649/darren-mcfadden
While this is great news, if true, I'm not really sure what to make of McFadden being "expected back". If you read the article, it seems like the guy just makes that comment in passing (I.e. he has no sources to back that claim up).

Yahoo Sports reports Darren McFadden (high-ankle sprain) is "expected back" for Week 11.True high-ankle sprains typically require at least a two-week absence, but the fact that McFadden supposedly played through the injury in Week 9 and was "begging" to stay in suggest there's a real chance he'll be ready to play this week. Yahoo's Jason Cole also reports McFadden recently spoke to the coaching staff about tweaking the zone-blocking scheme at "the urging of owner Mark Davis." The Raiders made changes before their Week 8 win over the Chiefs, but McFadden is still averaging just 3.6 yards over his past 36 carries. He'll be a middle-of-the-road RB2 when he returns.Source: Yahoo Sports Nov 12 - 1:33 PMhttp://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4649/darren-mcfadden
While this is great news, if true, I'm not really sure what to make of McFadden being "expected back". If you read the article, it seems like the guy just makes that comment in passing (I.e. he has no sources to back that claim up).
Is Jason Cole credible? He is the same dude who's claiming that Vick is gonna be "rested" for the rest of the season.

Yea, I think the guy just made the comment in passing as well.I follow Cole on Twitter and read this story last night when he linked it to a tweet. In the conversation portion of that Tweet someone asked Cole, "Mcfadden expected back"? Cole responded back saying something along the lines of the Raiders would know on Tuesday. So #1 if they will know on Tuesday they sure don't know now and #2 the reply makes me doubt Cole entirely because how could you know on Tuesday? Practice injury reports don't come out until Wednesday and if DMAC is truly sore and close to playing how could they know if he'll be ready or not 5 days before they play?

Oooff ... my worst fear for this coming week ...

DMac is listed as GTD ... is active ... then keaves after a couple series.

I scooped both Reece and Jones; and would be quite confident in Reece vs. the Saints.

Sure some of you are in the same boat ... have to feel he won't be 100% come Sunday .... gonna be a fustercluck all week.

Here goes sweatin the practice reports ... yay.

Oooff ... my worst fear for this coming week ...DMac is listed as GTD ... is active ... then keaves after a couple series. I scooped both Reece and Jones; and would be quite confident in Reece vs. the Saints. Sure some of you are in the same boat ... have to feel he won't be 100% come Sunday .... gonna be a fustercluck all week. Here goes sweatin the practice reports ... yay.
I doubt he plays, this is McFadden we are talking about. But I agree that I would rather have him sit. could see reece having a great game here. only way I start McFadden this week is if he practices all week and is listed probable.

Oooff ... my worst fear for this coming week ...DMac is listed as GTD ... is active ... then keaves after a couple series. I scooped both Reece and Jones; and would be quite confident in Reece vs. the Saints. Sure some of you are in the same boat ... have to feel he won't be 100% come Sunday .... gonna be a fustercluck all week. Here goes sweatin the practice reports ... yay.
I doubt he plays, this is McFadden we are talking about. But I agree that I would rather have him sit. could see reece having a great game here. only way I start McFadden this week is if he practices all week and is listed probable.
Exactly what I'm thinking!! Reece is a great play

lol I wouldnt worry about DMC playing

How about split backfield duties? DMC for the early down work and Reece for the passing downs. Ease DMC back into football shape.

The trade was a gamble on both sides. It'll be fun to play 20/20 hindsight to see who got the better of the trade. Unlike some Raider fans who think he's done for the season, I think he will come back. It'll be fun to see how effective he'll be. Of course, I'm now rooting for Jonathan Stewart and Andre Brown to take more of a lead RB role on their respective teams, but we'll see.

As I type this he's still in a walking boot. How does one run in a walking boot?

I think there are better odds of Murray playing this week and Murray's odds are slim. The talk coming out of OAK must all be gamesmanship.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I type this he's still in a walking boot. How does one run in a walking boot?I think there are better odds of Murray playing this week and Murray's odds are slim. The talk coming out of OAK must all be gamesmanship.
OAK thinks other, better teams, are worried about who they're playing at running back. Just like last year, they were being shady about DMC's status pretty much until the end of the season. Just look at how they already did with Taiwan Jones.
Darren McFadden (ankle) and Mike Goodson (ankle) both remain in walking boots.It throws cold water on the notion that McFadden is "expected back" for Week 11, but it certainly doesn't mean McFadden can't shed his boot between now and Wednesday's practice. It's just more likely he'll come down to a game-time decision than an assured return. Fantasy owners should be used to DMC's status being up in the air. For now, he shouldn't be expected to play Sunday until coach Dennis Allen guarantees he will do so. Nov 12 - 4:29 PM

I picked up Taiwan Jones this past week. Spent $4 of my remaining $16 to grab him. I got sucked into the hype. If the dude's fast, he might be a Chris Johnson or CJ Spiller or Jamal Charles!

Nope. Coaches won't even give him a shot during the long garbage time of a 55-20 blowout. So I'm returning him to the waiver wire trash heap.

Will DMC be a quick healer from a high ankle sprain like Matt Forte earlier this year? Forte came back after two weeks. Maybe DMC will too.

DMC is not a quick healer. That is a fact. His ankle sprain may not be that severe so I would not guess on his return to the field though.

DMC is not a quick healer. That is a fact. His ankle sprain may not be that severe so I would not guess on his return to the field though.
how is that fact? you have no idea of the severity of the injuries he has suffered and how to rate the speed of his previous recoveries.

Did DeMarco Murray have a high ankle sprain? If so, it's taking him about 4 weeks.

Amendola seems like a quick healer. Jimmy Graham seems like a quick healer too, although neither of them had a high ankle sprain.

My guess is that DMC will practice and play in Week 12. Will they give him 17+ touches in his first game back? Also, will he get the blocking scheme that he prefers to run behind?

No. He had a mid-foot sprain of some kind. They have been kind of vague with the information, but it wasn't a high ankle.

I would describe this as non-clinical speculative drivel.
Yeah, it's more so that most of DMC's injuries have been of the serious variety. Whenever we hear of an injury now we just assume the worst. If he comes back next week I'll admittedly be extremely surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread