What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

>>>> Owning McFadden <<<< (3 Viewers)

As expected:Darren McFadden (ankle) has been ruled out for Week 11.Marcel Reece will again be the Raiders' primary back Sunday against New Orleans. Jeremy Stewart is second in line for carries, and Taiwan Jones is No. 3. Nov 16 - 3:35 PMSource: Jerry McDonald on Twitterhttp://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4649/darren-mcfadden
Surprised that Stewart is higher in the pecking order than Jones. Not that Jones has proven by performance he should be the starter if DMac is out -- he hasn't. But then again, I really don't think the Raiders have given Jones enough touches to even make this call.Jones certainly isn't a 3 down back, but I would think with his speed and ability surely the Raiders would use this opportunity to use him more than a practice squad back. Just interesting.

well, its just rotoworld conjecture it seems. so jones may actually be ahead. i dont think either are rosterable let alone startable tho.

Raiders | Darren McFadden injury update

Sat, 17 Nov 2012 06:45:46 -0800

Oakland Raiders RB Darren McFadden (ankle) was able to do some running during practice Friday, Nov. 16; however, he has been ruled out for Week 11. "McFadden was out today and ran around on the side with the trainers, which was, obviously, a good sign," head coach Dennis Allen said.

0 Comments | Source: CBSSports.com | Share:

Here's an article that provides further confirmation to other posters who noted the bad marriage between DMC and the zone blocking scheme in prior comments:

http://fantasyknuckleheads.com/what-is-the-future-value-of-darren-mcfadden-and-marcel-reece/

The article also wonders about a potential timeshare btw DMC and Marcel Reece given that Reece doesn't have a problem with ZBS.

Excerpt: "Which provides another reason why the first year in the collective tenure of General Manager Reggie McKenzie and Head Coach Dennis Allen as decision makers, can be summarized as a collection of decisions that dismantled areas in which the team had succeeded prior to their arrival, and a simultaneous failure to improve the aspects of the team that were deficient. Allen decided to stop employing a power blocking scheme that had produced positive results for the past two seasons, in favor of a zone blocking scheme that had failed previously in Oakland. This is noteworthy for multiple reasons, including its massive contribution to the disappointing numbers that McFadden has delivered so far this year.

McFadden entered the NFL in 2008, and struggled mightily with zone blocking schemes during his first two NFL seasons. Most of which were under the supervision of offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, who was hired by Allen to resume that role this season. McFadden accumulated just 856 rushing yards and five TDs during that span, and averaged just 3.9 yards per carry. But in 2010, former head coach Hue Jackson joined the team as offensive coordinator, and decided to implement blocking schemes that were more conducive to McFadden’s strengths. This opened up new opportunities for the former Razorback, who responded by accumulating over 1,650 total yards, and producing 10 touchdowns in 13 games. He then averaged 5.4 yards per carry while amassing 614 yards in the first seven games of 2011, before a foot injury prematurely concluded his season."

Darren McFadden (ankle) didn't resume practicing Wednesday.

Nor did Mike Goodson (ankle). Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Monday he was "hopeful" McFadden would return this week, but players dealing with multi-week injuries rarely suit up on Sunday if they don't return on Wednesday. It should be the Marcel Reece show for at least one more week in Oakland. Nov 21 - 2:16 PM

Source: Vittorio Tafur on Twitter

Darren McFadden (ankle) missed practice again on Thursday.

Mike Goodson (ankle) didn't practice either, and we strongly doubt either of the Raiders' running backs are going to be active participants in Week 12. Nov 22 - 5:56 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4649/darren-mcfadden

lmao at this vag
Please. Glass, injury prone ...absolutely. Vag? Pretty sure as soon as your emo ### makes it off the couch, you'd piss yourself if he was running at you, full-speed. Dude lays the wood and actually came out of HS as one of the top rated blue chip free safeties, known for being a hard hitter. Let me know when RBs start coming back after a few weeks with high-ankle and Lisfranc arch sprains.

The MArcel Reese show for one more week at least. Cincy may defend a little better than NO but I forsee him getting the ball every which way, including loose.

'Insein said:
The MArcel Reese show for one more week at least. Cincy may defend a little better than NO but I forsee him getting the ball every which way, including loose.
Have read some articles with the themes of "All-Turkey Fantasy Team" and "Never Draft Again". DMC was listed repeatedly in these articles.Besides the injury history, it was noted that Marcel Reece has done fine with Oakland's offensive line, and that Mike Goodson has also done well in his limited carries behind Oakland's blocking scheme. Not only that, but Reece has been doing so well, that even when DMC comes back, it should be more of a timeshare with Reece.Not what I envisioned when I drafted DMC in the 1st round. If DMC makes me regret that I traded him during the fantasy play-off weeks of week 14-16, so be it.

When I used my first round pick on Mcfadden, I never dreamed that I'd be hoping he would be placed on IR in week 12. That's what's happening though. With Reese also on my roster, I'd much rather have him for the remainder of the year than Mcfadden (and possibly a timeshare).

When I used my first round pick on Mcfadden, I never dreamed that I'd be hoping he would be placed on IR in week 12. That's what's happening though. With Reese also on my roster, I'd much rather have him for the remainder of the year than Mcfadden (and possibly a timeshare).
LOL! LOL hard! What does it say when a fantasy owner would rather have his 1st-round pick go on IR rather than have him come back and dilute the value and production of Oakand's 3rd-string RB?What does DMC think when he sees his backups Goodson and Reece thriving behind the zone-blocking scheme, but when he gets in there and tries, he stinks it up?

'Insein said:
Have read some articles with the themes of "All-Turkey Fantasy Team" and "Never Draft Again". DMC was listed repeatedly in these articles.Besides the injury history, it was noted that Marcel Reece has done fine with Oakland's offensive line, and that Mike Goodson has also done well in his limited carries behind Oakland's blocking scheme. Not only that, but Reece has been doing so well, that even when DMC comes back, it should be more of a timeshare with Reece.

Not what I envisioned when I drafted DMC in the 1st round. If DMC makes me regret that I traded him during the fantasy play-off weeks of week 14-16, so be it.
Hard to make a McFadden/Reece comparison when the attention they see is night and day. Raiders were blown out early their last two games and Reece has seen 6 man fronts for much of that span. Fantasy-wise, it's ideal for great fantasy pointage and I'm loving my returns. They should have been using Reece a lot more this season, but while healthy, McFadden had ALL of the defenses attention, didn't see the giant holes and gimme stuff Reece has been taking while defenses defend Palmer and the pass.As a Raiders fan, I can see them bringing McFadden back around wk 13 or 14, easing him in his first game, then sharing touches forward with McFadden taking the majority of the rushes and Reece increasing his receiving involvement. It all depends on when McFadden returns though. With DMac, No news always seems like bad news.

Inside the Oakland Raiders - Steve Corkran http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/

Cork, it is just possible that Reece is better suited to the ZBS and running schemes that D-Mac? Big guy, wait for hole, hit it and rumble to the next level?by OzRaider November 20 at 12:59 PM

Steve Corkran: Yes, but the bigger reason is that defenses don't key on Reece, Goodson, Jones, as much as they do McFadden. Easier for them to run than it is McFadden.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! LOL hard! What does it say when a fantasy owner would rather have his 1st-round pick go on IR rather than have him come back and dilute the value and production of Oakand's 3rd-string RB?What does DMC think when he sees his backups Goodson and Reece thriving behind the zone-blocking scheme, but when he gets in there and tries, he stinks it up?
He thinks that Goodson had a very very small sample size of carries and that Reece is benefiting from the Raiders finally hitting the soft part of their schedule.

Link from SF Chronicle via Rotowire. Nothing definitive here, but it would be nice to be able to see him on the field before the fantasy playoffs vs. going in blind.

My link

'mquinnjr said:
Link from SF Chronicle via Rotowire. Nothing definitive here, but it would be nice to be able to see him on the field before the fantasy playoffs vs. going in blind.

My link
I agree. Best case scenario (at this point for owners who made the playoffs) is for him to come back and get eased back in to things for a week or two. I a willing to forgive if he can help in the playoffs lol.

'mquinnjr said:

My link
I agree. Best case scenario (at this point for owners who made the playoffs) is for him to come back and get eased back in to things for a week or two. I a willing to forgive if he can help in the playoffs lol.
I mean I know he was injured, but if he can be healthy enough to play and get the carries, he's got fresh legs being out for awhile. I just need to see one game to confirm and he's in my lineup. Going down with the ship if he can play.

'mquinnjr said:

My link
I mean I know he was injured, but if he can be healthy enough to play and get the carries, he's got fresh legs being out for awhile. I just need to see one game to confirm and he's in my lineup. Going down with the ship if he can play.
Apparently OAK has the 6th best playoff schedule for RBs.

its weird how similar this is to last year. smart money is on reece finishing the season as the top dog

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL #Raiders coach Dennis Allen is hopeful RBs Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson and DT Richard Seymour will return to practice this week.

Marcel Reece's stat line against the Bengals yesterday was pretty good, if I recall. Something like 15 carries for 74 yards and 4 receptions for 29 yards or so.

That's not bad for a RB2 or flex player.

DMC's expected back this week. If he gets in a timeshare with Reece, that's what we'd all expect.

Given that I start Carson Palmer and Denarius Moore, I need the Oakland ground game to get better. But this week, I'm benching Denarius Moore. I started him ahead of Torrey Smith and Ryan Broyles this past week.

As someone who picked up Reese (and dropped Goodson), I don't know how happy I am about this news. I refuse to invest in a three Raiders running backs, so I think I'll just hold Reese for now and see how everything plays out with Mcfadden this week.

Sigh. Things were so easy with just Reese.

McFadden and Goodson both back to practice today.

Yay?
:wall:
i dont really see how you can play any of them now unless you have no other options. the one league where I was invested in Reece/DMC, I have already been eliminated. mostly due to DMC early season crapfest. thanks bro. :rant:

My other league I only own reece, but I dont see how you can start him without knowing what the raiders are doing here. starting leshoure or moreno over him easily....

Besides the points, Reece had been fun to watch too. Watching McFadden trying to pick his holes and the Raiders not throwing to him is painful.

I picked up Moreno and if McFadden starts I may plug in Moreno to see how this shakes out.

So with Reece looking as good as he has, do we even think that 1) They'll rush DMac back; and 2) Goodson steps right back in as the handcuff if he's healthy?

I'm a DMac owner who would be shocked to see him in this week, considering he got zero practice reps up until today. I'd just as soon give him at least another week, and see him at full speed for Weeks 15-16 (KC/at Car).

'need2know said:
i dont really see how you can play any of them now unless you have no other options.
:hey: :( I'm starting McFadden and Matthews :yucky: I've also got Christopher Ivory (plays Thursday), Donald Brown (plays early game Sunday), and Cedric Peerman (Sunday afternoon). If McFadden (Sunday afternoon) is a late scratch, Peerman is as good as any of my other guys :bag:

(Adapted) Battered McFadden Syndrome (BMS)

Repeated episodes of psychological assault on a owners by the person [Darren McFadden] with whom he rosters or with whom he has had unrealistically high expectations (usually drafted in the 1st or 2nd round), often resulting in serious psychological damage to the owners playoff hopes. Such delusional expectations tends to follow a predictable pattern. The damages usually follow verbal argument and accusation and are accompanied by verbal abuse found predominantly on fantasy football message boards. Almost any subject-a fumble, ypc, or number of touches can begin the episode. Over time, the delusional episodes escalate in frequency and severity. Most battered McFadden Owners report that they thought that the piss poor performances would stop and cite his performance from last year or his physical measurements; unfortunately, studies show that the longer the owner rosters McFadden the more likely they are to be seriously injured. Less and less provocation seems to be enough to trigger a preposterous defense posture once the syndrome has begun. The use of alcohol may increase the severity of the assault and impair the ability to find the drop button. A BMS is more likely to be abusive as the game wears on. Battering occurs in cycles of usually occurring in the 2nd half of games and almost exclusively on Sundays. In the first phase McFadden acts enticing, a good run here, a swing pass there, and creates a hope that there is potential. Then DMC's true suckitude starts to show, the bad play, total lack of even a decent running game, and then shoves or slaps begin. The second phase is the time of the acute, violent activity. As the tension mounts, the owner becomes unable to cut the DMC, and he may argue or defend himself despite the evidence that he is a below average back in a terrible ZBS situation. The BMS uses this as the justification for his piss poor play and assaults the owner, often saying that he is "teaching him a lesson on patient running." The third stage is characterized by hope for next year and remorse on the part of the Raiders organization, with promises of change. The calm continues until the multi-game injured DMC plays again. Battered DMC syndrome occurs at all socioeconomic levels, and one half to three quarters of owner assault victims are the victims of an attack by a DMC. It is estimated that in the United States between 1 and 2 million owners a year are beaten by their McFaddens. Owners who grew up in homes in which the father owned Jeff George, Ryan Leaf or Lawrence Phillips are more likely to roster DMC than owners who lived in normal homes. Personal and cultural attitudes also affect the incidence of battering. Bad stats are a normal part of DMC socialization in most cultures; bad coaching may be condoned as a means of resolving a conflict. A personality profile obtained by psychological testing reveals the typical DMC owner to be reserved, withdrawn, depressed, and anxious, with low self-esteem, a poorly integrated self-image, and a general inability to cope with life's demands. Caring for and counseling a battered DMC owner often require great patience because he is usually ambivalent about his situation and may be confused to the point of believing that he deserves the terrible production he has suffered. He believes he deserves DMC to come back and cap the good PPR production that Marcel Reece has given him while DMC is sitting out games.

(Adapted) Battered McFadden Syndrome (BMS)Repeated episodes of psychological assault on a owners by the person [Darren McFadden] with whom he rosters or with whom he has had unrealistically high expectations (usually drafted in the 1st or 2nd round), often resulting in serious psychological damage to the owners playoff hopes. Such delusional expectations tends to follow a predictable pattern. The damages usually follow verbal argument and accusation and are accompanied by verbal abuse found predominantly on fantasy football message boards. Almost any subject-a fumble, ypc, or number of touches can begin the episode. Over time, the delusional episodes escalate in frequency and severity. Most battered McFadden Owners report that they thought that the piss poor performances would stop and cite his performance from last year or his physical measurements; unfortunately, studies show that the longer the owner rosters McFadden the more likely they are to be seriously injured. Less and less provocation seems to be enough to trigger a preposterous defense posture once the syndrome has begun. The use of alcohol may increase the severity of the assault and impair the ability to find the drop button. A BMS is more likely to be abusive as the game wears on. Battering occurs in cycles of usually occurring in the 2nd half of games and almost exclusively on Sundays. In the first phase McFadden acts enticing, a good run here, a swing pass there, and creates a hope that there is potential. Then DMC's true suckitude starts to show, the bad play, total lack of even a decent running game, and then shoves or slaps begin. The second phase is the time of the acute, violent activity. As the tension mounts, the owner becomes unable to cut the DMC, and he may argue or defend himself despite the evidence that he is a below average back in a terrible ZBS situation. The BMS uses this as the justification for his piss poor play and assaults the owner, often saying that he is "teaching him a lesson on patient running." The third stage is characterized by hope for next year and remorse on the part of the Raiders organization, with promises of change. The calm continues until the multi-game injured DMC plays again. Battered DMC syndrome occurs at all socioeconomic levels, and one half to three quarters of owner assault victims are the victims of an attack by a DMC. It is estimated that in the United States between 1 and 2 million owners a year are beaten by their McFaddens. Owners who grew up in homes in which the father owned Jeff George, Ryan Leaf or Lawrence Phillips are more likely to roster DMC than owners who lived in normal homes. Personal and cultural attitudes also affect the incidence of battering. Bad stats are a normal part of DMC socialization in most cultures; bad coaching may be condoned as a means of resolving a conflict. A personality profile obtained by psychological testing reveals the typical DMC owner to be reserved, withdrawn, depressed, and anxious, with low self-esteem, a poorly integrated self-image, and a general inability to cope with life's demands. Caring for and counseling a battered DMC owner often require great patience because he is usually ambivalent about his situation and may be confused to the point of believing that he deserves the terrible production he has suffered. He believes he deserves DMC to come back and cap the good PPR production that Marcel Reece has given him while DMC is sitting out games.
tl:dr :yawn:

Thanks for the ride Marcel.

PPR: RB3 and Top 15 player overall the past month. 17th most receiving yards in the league over that span.

Maybe Darren learned something while watching Marcel carry the load.

Btw:

Larry Csonka 6-3, 237.

Marcel Reece 6-3, 240.

Yeah. Let's get him blocking again.

'steelerfan1 said:
'solorca said:
Sigh. Things were so easy with just Reese.
i guess all of our rides are coming to an end.... :( i'll miss you good friend.
LOL! This is a DMC thread, not a Marcel Reece thread.
Actually, it's just as much a Reece thread as it is a DMC one. The point of the thread was to discuss things as they relate to DMC, including, but not limited to, his handcuffs.

So with Reece looking as good as he has, do we even think that 1) They'll rush DMac back; and 2) Goodson steps right back in as the handcuff if he's healthy?I'm a DMac owner who would be shocked to see him in this week, considering he got zero practice reps up until today. I'd just as soon give him at least another week, and see him at full speed for Weeks 15-16 (KC/at Car).
I have my own theory on Reece. With DMC out, opposing D's did not key on Reece and put more emphasis on shutting down the passing game. Keep in mind they have not won a game since DMC got hurt. OAK was 3-4 when DMC went down and now are 3-8 and have been blown out of most of the games.

'need2know said:
i dont really see how you can play any of them now unless you have no other options.
:hey: :( I'm starting McFadden and Matthews :yucky: I've also got Christopher Ivory (plays Thursday), Donald Brown (plays early game Sunday), and Cedric Peerman (Sunday afternoon). If McFadden (Sunday afternoon) is a late scratch, Peerman is as good as any of my other guys :bag:
Anybody is better than Dmac this week. Guys never comeback and do anything the first week with ankle injuries and he isn't at the top of my list to buck that trend. I'll take my chances with Reece unless some really bad news comes out.

So with Reece looking as good as he has, do we even think that 1) They'll rush DMac back; and 2) Goodson steps right back in as the handcuff if he's healthy?I'm a DMac owner who would be shocked to see him in this week, considering he got zero practice reps up until today. I'd just as soon give him at least another week, and see him at full speed for Weeks 15-16 (KC/at Car).
I have my own theory on Reece. With DMC out, opposing D's did not key on Reece and put more emphasis on shutting down the passing game. Keep in mind they have not won a game since DMC got hurt. OAK was 3-4 when DMC went down and now are 3-8 and have been blown out of most of the games.
:goodposting:I'm surprised more people don't get this.

:yes: I think by Week 14, as long as DMC just gets a few+ carries and holds up this weekend, you'll be really happy you held if you drafted DMC early and made the playoffs. If you make it to Week 15, he rounds out the fantasy season home vs. KC and @ Carolina.

:yes: I think by Week 14, as long as DMC just gets a few+ carries and holds up this weekend, you'll be really happy you held if you drafted DMC early and made the playoffs. If you make it to Week 15, he rounds out the fantasy season home vs. KC and @ Carolina.
Regardless, McFadden won't see the soft 6 man fronts Reece had. He'll likely wind up back as the defense's main focus and possibly stay ineffective, who knows. I just find it funny when people act like Reece is the better NFL back by only looking at the fantasy box score.

Regardless, McFadden won't see the soft 6 man fronts Reece had. He'll likely wind up back as the defense's main focus and possibly stay ineffective, who knows. I just find it funny when people act like Reece is the better NFL back by only looking at the fantasy box score.
I spent a first rounder on him. Maybe it's just my stupid Irish pride and stubbornness, but if he's active, healthy and you don't have glaringly better options, I think you just go for it and put him in. If you drafted him high and held this long, I feel like it would be criminal to sit him and have him potentially go off. Might be stupid and cliche to say "I believe," but I do, regardless of what I've seen early. Willing to go down with the ship healthy, personally. Every owner can do what they wish, but I'm rolling if he even looks half decent this week in the playoffs.

Starting Moreno over DMC this week.

My other RB is Doug Martin so that makes it easier to sit DMC another week.

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_22086279/oakland-raiders-darren-mcfadden-looks-close-return

ALAMEDA -- Darren McFadden returned to practice for the first time Wednesday since suffering a right high ankle sprain Nov. 4 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and could be available to face the Cleveland Browns.

Also on the field was backup running back Mike Goodson, who had the same injury and like McFadden missed the past three games -- all of which the Raiders lost.

Both players were limited, and while it's not known if either will play, or how much, coach Dennis Allen said fullback Marcel Reece has staked his claim to some more carries.

While both backs were out, Reece carried 48 times for 225 yards in three games, averaging 4.7 yards per carry.

"Marcel has earned the right to carry the ball some,'' Allen said. "We'll use him in that capacity.''

Users who are viewing this thread