What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

>>>> Owning McFadden <<<< (1 Viewer)

Guys - this truly is the year where McFadden has his absolute BEST opportunity to finally fulfill those lofty expectations if the fantasy world.

He has an exciting QB that is going to help open up the field for him as the season progresses.

He is healthy (for now)

The raiders changed their blocking scheme to one that fits his running style.

He is in a contract year.

No one can deny his physical abilities when healthy and in the right situation.

Yesterday he was literally ONE inch away from a Multi TD game and a top 2 or 3 fantasy week for RBs. If GE kept that foot in bounds on that beautiful catch he would rank rt after Peterson.

I was very encouraged yesterday by the entire raiders offense and McFadden. His ypc will get better as opposing teams begin to respect Pryor more and more and realize that McFadden is no longer the ONLY game in town to worry about.

When they stack the box and Pryor makes them pay they will stop stacking the box.

I'm holding into McFadden for the simple fact that regardless of his week 1 performance, he is still damaged goods in the eyes of most fantasy players and you are just not going to get any good returns for selling him right now.

Guys - this truly is the year where McFadden has his absolute BEST opportunity to finally fulfill those lofty expectations if the fantasy world.

He has an exciting QB that is going to help open up the field for him as the season progresses.

He is healthy (for now)

The raiders changed their blocking scheme to one that fits his running style.

He is in a contract year.

No one can deny his physical abilities when healthy and in the right situation.

Yesterday he was literally ONE inch away from a Multi TD game and a top 2 or 3 fantasy week for RBs. If GE kept that foot in bounds on that beautiful catch he would rank rt after Peterson.

I was very encouraged yesterday by the entire raiders offense and McFadden. His ypc will get better as opposing teams begin to respect Pryor more and more and realize that McFadden is no longer the ONLY game in town to worry about.

When they stack the box and Pryor makes them pay they will stop stacking the box.

I'm holding into McFadden for the simple fact that regardless of his week 1 performance, he is still damaged goods in the eyes of most fantasy players and you are just not going to get any good returns for selling him right now.
This. I won't go so far as to say I won't trade him, but it will take a clear upgrade to another RB1. Where I own DM, I was careful to back him up with at least a serviceable option. McFadden may or may not stay healthy, but when he is, he's a top 10 RB. 16 healthy games would result in a top 5 finish (NOT holding my breath for this).

I would think the decision to hold or trade is best made by examining your backups. Serviceable to good should mean hold- poor to non-existent should mean trade

Part of me worries that Pryor is going to turn this into Carolina west, where the QB puts up big numbers on the ground, but the RB position is devalued.
A) From what I understand (based on very little reading), Pryor's ground production wasn't on designed runs. Pryor wasn't really taking away from McFadden (other than maybe a couple potential targets) because he was pulling the ball down on passing plays. Can anyone who watched the game confirm this?

B) Newton didn't devalue the RB POSITION in Carolina. Individual RBs were devalued because of a RBBC (which included Netwon), but the position as a whole was fine. In 2011, Williams and Stewart combined for over 2000 yards and 12 TDs from scrimmage. In 2012, Williams/Stewart/Tolbert combined for about 1850 yards and 16 TDs from scrimmage. Nothing wrong with that if it was mostly going to one RB.

After yesterday, would you rather have McFadden or Vereen (ppr)?
DMC before and after yesterday.

Not by a ton and I think they are pretty similar, but I prefer worrying about DMC getting injured to worrying about what Belichick will do next.

Ok fellow McFadden owners, after he put up a semi-decent game, this maybe the opportunity some of us were waiting for.. do you offer him for Wilson/Ridley/Miller?
Wasn't he typically drafted before Wilson &amp; Miller?
I drafted him before both (pre Brown injury), but felt awful about drafting him before Wilson. I think typically though Wilson was probably drafted before him especially after the Brown injury.

The part that concerns me is Indy is awful against the run and his YPC still wasn't that great. On the flip side, Pryor's success is definitely a positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of me worries that Pryor is going to turn this into Carolina west, where the QB puts up big numbers on the ground, but the RB position is devalued.
A) From what I understand (based on very little reading), Pryor's ground production wasn't on designed runs. Pryor wasn't really taking away from McFadden (other than maybe a couple potential targets) because he was pulling the ball down on passing plays. Can anyone who watched the game confirm this?

B) Newton didn't devalue the RB POSITION in Carolina. Individual RBs were devalued because of a RBBC (which included Netwon), but the position as a whole was fine. In 2011, Williams and Stewart combined for over 2000 yards and 12 TDs from scrimmage. In 2012, Williams/Stewart/Tolbert combined for about 1850 yards and 16 TDs from scrimmage. Nothing wrong with that if it was mostly going to one RB.
Cam DID devalue the RB position in CAR. It was RBBC before him. He vultures a lot of running TDs that would normally go to a RB and i expect Pryor will too.

Cam DID devalue the RB position in CAR. It was RBBC before him. He vultures a lot of running TDs that would normally go to a RB and i expect Pryor will too.
Hard to say the effect exactly, but CAR RB's only had 7 rushing TDs the year before Cam, though they had 17 in '09.

They've had 11 and 13 in Cam's 2 seasons, with Cam getting a ridiculous 22 for himself.

There have been enough RB TDs there, if it weren't a RBBC.

In OAK's case, I'd think the benefit of actually having another weapon in the offense will help DMC more than any TD vulturing will hurt.

In OAK's case, I'd think the benefit of actually having another weapon in the offense will help DMC more than any TD vulturing will hurt.
:yes: He got one GL touchdown and came thisclose to a nifty 30 yard catch at the pylon. I don't see Pryor's effect on DMC as anything but positive. Put another way, if you had Flynn at QB, what do you think would happen? The Raiders would run a conventional dink and dunk WCO and the defense would stack the box, pinning their ears back on noodle armed Flynn, on their way stuff DMC on any and every carry.

Hard to say the effect exactly, but CAR RB's only had 7 rushing TDs the year before Cam, though they had 17 in '09.

They've had 11 and 13 in Cam's 2 seasons, with Cam getting a ridiculous 22 for himself.

There have been enough RB TDs there, if it weren't a RBBC.

Agreed. Cam didn't just take a larger percentage of the pie; he increased the size of the pie to be distributed.

If Pryor can do the same, McFadden should post better numbers.

Surprised at the reactions to be honest, I thought their offensive line was so abysmal that this would be a sell as soon as he had a big game kind of situation. I guess Pryor + so many RB around the same tier flopping changes that.

HoTnickZ said:
Surprised at the reactions to be honest, I thought their offensive line was so abysmal that this would be a sell as soon as he had a big game kind of situation. I guess Pryor + so many RB around the same tier flopping changes that.
Certainly, nobody would want that YPC to continue, but as you mention with studs having low YPC days, you can't really worry too much about one game's YPC.

It's a concern, but he's getting carries and there's reason to believe that offense could be a good amount better than expected. Signs that better running days should be ahead.

Even if they are few and far between, we drafted him planning on some garbage time receiving to help soften that blow.

Honestly, with OAK traveling east for a 1:00 start, the simple fact that they didn't get curb-stomped is reason enough for a bit of optimism.

I guess we now are starting to see the effect that pryor's presence is having on McFadden. Best thing that could have ever happened to him.

McFadden is back to stud status IMO. Perhaps he does get injured again. Enjoy him until he does and pick up rashad Jennings for week 3.

Liking McFadden more and more, I am hopeful his bad luck with injuries might be behind him. Hopefully Pryor can break out to take some pressure of the run game and allow them to sustain drives.

I was all sett to avoid him like the plague but there he was at 5.10. I already had Morris, bmarsh, amendola, gore, then took jordy at 6.03. Ppr.

I'll be trading him to some rb starved team as soon as he has a Good game Or 3
with glass ### amendola i will be holding atm 1-1

SELL HIGH
Good luck with that.
Yeah, I'm not opposed to selling high, but given the state of the RB position, there aren't many clear ways to sell high (for another RB).

For the guys just above him in ADP, I'm not trading him for MJD, Ridley, Wilson, and Gore. Maybe CJ or S-Jax (depending on health). Anything more ambitious to get a clear upgrade just ain't happening.

Catching someone panicking on Trent Richardson is about the only option. I'd make that trade, but we still aren't sure Trent's not a plodder on a poor offensive team. What's he got, 2 carries over 20 yards in his career? "Plodder" is obviously an exaggeration, but it's no slam dunk that Trent's a clear upgrade. Trent owner almost certainly isn't making that trade either.

Trying to use him to get TRich, obviously in a package. Otherwise it's a hold because we start 1RB, 1WR, 2 flex and right now McFadden is my only RB in my lineup (David Wilson and J. Bell on the bench)

McFadden

Calvin

T. Smith

Givens/Bell

Trying to use him to get TRich, obviously in a package. Otherwise it's a hold because we start 1RB, 1WR, 2 flex and right now McFadden is my only RB in my lineup (David Wilson and J. Bell on the bench)

McFadden

Calvin

T. Smith

Givens/Bell
Straight up, McFadden for Trich.... if you could know that each guy would play 16 games, I think DMC outproduces him. If you make that trade its only because you think Trich will play more games than DMC.

McFadden is on the rise for trade value. 2-3 more weeks healthy and he will likely being going for a good price. Its all a gamble but I think he is the guy everyone is targeting as he clearly has the most upside for his "price".

I was able to stack up on other positions early and this guy kept falling, and falling, and falling. He fell to me in the 6th Round. Seriously? Psh, I don't care how many games he plays.

When he's healthy, he puts up points. Has a very good chance to blow his 6th Round status to smithereens. I was able to pickup Bradshaw two-rounds later in the 8th. Thinking McFadden can be a great insurance policy to those who don't draft RB early this year.

(I went Calvin Johnson, Jimmy Graham, Andre Johnson with my first '3 picks' and ended up with Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Rashard Mendenhall as my RB.)
Loving the value so far. If he can keep this up, he's going to help a lot of teams make the playoffs.

Let's see what DMC can do when they travel to DEN next week.
I'm betting Denver shuts down the run and rushes Pryor into dumping it off to DMC.

11 rushes, 45 yards.

6 catches, 70 yards and a TD.

Still a solid outing, even if the Raiders get destroyed.
I know I said this, but my confidence in McFadden (and the Raiders) vs. Denver's #1 rush D is shaking.

I have Mendenhall vs. a porous NO run D as an option. I can't believe I'm thinking of taking it. Am I crazy?

I was able to stack up on other positions early and this guy kept falling, and falling, and falling. He fell to me in the 6th Round. Seriously? Psh, I don't care how many games he plays.

When he's healthy, he puts up points. Has a very good chance to blow his 6th Round status to smithereens. I was able to pickup Bradshaw two-rounds later in the 8th. Thinking McFadden can be a great insurance policy to those who don't draft RB early this year.

(I went Calvin Johnson, Jimmy Graham, Andre Johnson with my first '3 picks' and ended up with Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Rashard Mendenhall as my RB.)
Loving the value so far. If he can keep this up, he's going to help a lot of teams make the playoffs.
He will if you SELL HIGH.

I was hoping he would fumble so I can eke out a win and he throws a TD. Just have to laugh at that one.

As a two time DMC owner, I would never touch him... But if we were to go back to my draft, I would pull the trigger in round 5 of my 10 team ppr - not to hold him, but to sell right now.

I'd be trying to make a deal with a ray rice, cj spiller, sjax, Reggie bush, etc owner offer a 2 for 1 with DMC as the focal point of my offer.

He will get hurt, it's not if its when... Most owners bought this guy at 50 cents on the dollar. Right now you can turn a good profit.

Won me my game tonight. 12.6, 13.7, 13.5 in non-ppr. Looked ugly but he still came through at the end, and that's what fantasy is all about :cool:

As a two time DMC owner, I would never touch him... But if we were to go back to my draft, I would pull the trigger in round 5 of my 10 team ppr - not to hold him, but to sell right now.

I'd be trying to make a deal with a ray rice, cj spiller, sjax, Reggie bush, etc owner offer a 2 for 1 with DMC as the focal point of my offer.

He will get hurt, it's not if its when... Most owners bought this guy at 50 cents on the dollar. Right now you can turn a good profit.
:rolleyes: Whatever. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. I don't buy the "injury prone" stuff. Sometimes football players get hurt.

:rolleyes: Whatever. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. I don't buy the "injury prone" stuff. Sometimes football players get hurt.
Old saying, "the pigs get slaughtered."

You bought DMC for cheap, you can sell for a lot more - Based on historical data, you'd be wise to do so IMO.

I'm really on the fence. Pryor is giving me hope with McFadden. Gotta say. Sjax is out 3 more weeks - no way I make that deal. I still doubt the Rice owner makes that move. Spiller? hmmm. And Bush has as much injury risk as McFadden, so that's not a clear upgrade in non PPR. I'm starting to wonder if he'll be a serviceable RB2 here on out.

I think he is a solid #2 RB for the rest of the season. With as many RBBCs there are, he is getting the touches he needs. I can't see anyone owning a top 10 back willing to trade back for him unless another substantial player comes along in the deal. After that top tier, its really more of a preference than anything else. He has some very nice matchups coming up over the next two months. I'd almost say hes a buy since people are looking to bail

Users who are viewing this thread