Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

>>>> Owning McFadden <<<<

Any thoughts on where he might end up next year!!!???

Please don't say Cleveland :homer: ... He is on my 20 team dynasty roster next to Trent next year!! I need him to be in a SOLID RBBC or start for a halfway decent team! (WONT GET INJURED RUNNING BEHIND A DECENT LINE) I hope. :grad:

Edited by BWill
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you look at guys like Thomas Jones or Cedric Benson, their "second chances" came after 3 seasons, not 6 seasons, and ironically they both played on the same Bears team for a couple seasons. They we

Guys - this truly is the year where McFadden has his absolute BEST opportunity to finally fulfill those lofty expectations if the fantasy world. He has an exciting QB that is going to help open up t

When are people going learn not to go through the Whataburger drive-thru? Whataburger has got to hold the record for the most drive-thru DWIs/DUIs, walk your drunk self inside.

Please don't say Cleveland :homer: ... He is on my 20 team dynasty roster next to Trent next year!! I need him to be in a SOLID RBBC or start for a halfway decent team! (WONT GET INJURED RUNNING BEHIND A DECENT LINE) I hope. :grad:

Hey man, you forget to put all your scoring info in your sig. Would make it easier for people to help you.

Why wouldn't he get injured running behind a decent line?

Why wouldn't he get injured running behind a decent line?

He'll be injured taking his physical.

lmao! ^^

That could be possible!!! anyone out there trade DMC for something halfway decent within the past few weeks. Or before his injury this year...?

I need to make a move for my RB2 spot. Or I could wait out DMC until he DOES have a healthy season! (I could be waiting and wasting YEARS) but his ceiling is dangerous when it comes to statistics!! his 2010 season is what I see when I look at the prize! Definitely capable to help win a championship when and if healthy. His 20-40 point ceilings are IT. I need him and Trent to bust out on the scene next year!! they killed me this year. Keenan Allen and Cordarelle Patterson are my WRs, Cam at QB. 20 team dynasty. ALL I NEED IS ONE GOOD SEASON OUT OF BOTH TRENT AND DMC!

I know, kind of delusional... but not IMPOSSIBLE! All it takes is 1 year!!! Even if DMC misses like 2-3 games next year, and trent produces, theyre still is a great chance to win with the rest of my team producing! Lets go Dennis Pitta too!! good luck with recovery of your injury! Thankyou God

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

A league source tells the San Francisco Chronicle that Darren McFadden (ankle) "should play" in Week 16.

McFadden hasn't practiced since his latest injury, a sprained ankle in Week 13. Even if the impending free agent does return Sunday, he'd be a mere change-of-pace back behind Rashad Jennings. There's no reason to add McFadden ahead of fantasy's Super Bowl week.

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden (ankle) participated in Raiders practice for the second straight day Thursday.

He'll be officially listed as "limited." McFadden is going to play against the Chargers, but in a strict-backup role to Rashad Jennings. The question is how the Raiders will delineate touches between DMC and Marcel Reece. Week 16 will likely be McFadden's second-to-last game in a Raiders uniform.
  • 4 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Bengals OC Hue Jackson suggested he will have interest in impending free agent Darren McFadden.

Jackson effectively built the Raiders' running game around McFadden in 2010 and 2011, leading to 336 carries for 1,771 yards (5.27 YPC) and 11 touchdowns during 20 games played across that span. DMC's market has been crushed by his ineffectiveness since Jackson left and an earned injury prone label, so perhaps the Bengals could add him to their backfield on the cheap. "You guys know how I feel about Darren McFadden; he's still one of my favorite players," Jackson said. "What a tremendous talent. But I really like my little guy Gio [bernard]. He had a real good season. But I don't think you can ever have too many good backs."
Related: Bengals
Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie confirmed he expects RB Darren McFadden to test free agency.

McFadden is coming off another injury-marred season, finishing with just 114 carries, 379 yards, and five touchdowns over 10 games. He isn't going to be back with the Raiders and will likely have to reestablish his value on a one-year deal this offseason. The Bengals have been linked as a possible landing spot for McFadden under new OC Hue Jackson, while the Browns, Falcons, and Giants also figure to be in the market for a committee running back.
Guest General Tso

Oh my God how is it possible that this turd is still drawing interest from teams? This guy could live in a plastic bubble for a year and still come out with all sorts of injuries. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some coaches in the NFL are.

You'd think McFadden punched some of your guys kids. This is the Thomas Jones/Fred Taylor/Cedric Benson affect. He burned you, probably multiple times. In dynasty this is the time to go get him and in redraft he's chapped so many asses that people will fail to see that he's going to a team that wants him instead of a team whose coaching staff tried to fit square peg in a round hole twice and didn't draft him on top of the injuries. He will get another chance and you all can cry and whine about it all you want and you can be pissed off if he succeeds or celebrate and call him a bum if he fails but that 2nd chance does merrit a look.

You'd think McFadden punched some of your guys kids. This is the Thomas Jones/Fred Taylor/Cedric Benson affect. He burned you, probably multiple times. In dynasty this is the time to go get him and in redraft he's chapped so many asses that people will fail to see that he's going to a team that wants him instead of a team whose coaching staff tried to fit square peg in a round hole twice and didn't draft him on top of the injuries. He will get another chance and you all can cry and whine about it all you want and you can be pissed off if he succeeds or celebrate and call him a bum if he fails but that 2nd chance does merrit a look.

:lmao:

If you look at guys like Thomas Jones or Cedric Benson, their "second chances" came after 3 seasons, not 6 seasons, and ironically they both played on the same Bears team for a couple seasons. They were both younger than McFadden is now when they switched from the team that drafted them. 2008 was a long time ago and McFadden has never stayed healthy for more than 13 games in a single season. It's not really a second chance at this point, it's a seventh chance.

If you are a team looking for a solid RB, you would be much better off trying to find it in the draft than in a seventh year vet that can't stay healthy and has only averaged 3.3 ypc over the last two seasons. I mean seriously, even Felix Jones has a higher ypc over the last two seasons, and I honestly don't think McFadden is much better than Felix Jones at this point, who has declined to a 3rd string player. My guess is McFadden may be out of the league after the 2014 season or third string on some team like the Bengals.

How many RBs have there been that switched teams after 6 seasons and had a monster season in year 7? Curtis Martin is one player that comes to mind, but year 7 was his fourth season with the Jets and he was a far more durable player than McFadden. Charlie Garner is another example in seasons 6 and 7 with the 49ers. And Dillon did it in year 8 with the Patriots. But I don't see McFadden in the same class as any of those guys at this point.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure TwinTurbo just convinced me to finally drop DMC off my dynasty squad.

But of course I won't. I'll keep him there to see where he lands. And when it's with the Cards or some other decent offense needing a RB, I'll recling to cheap hope and shoot myself by week 4.

If you look at guys like Thomas Jones or Cedric Benson, their "second chances" came after 3 seasons, not 6 seasons, and ironically they both played on the same Bears team for a couple seasons. They were both younger than McFadden is now when they switched from the team that drafted them. 2008 was a long time ago and McFadden has never stayed healthy for more than 13 games in a single season. It's not really a second chance at this point, it's a seventh chance.

If you are a team looking for a solid RB, you would be much better off trying to find it in the draft than in a seventh year vet that can't stay healthy and has only averaged 3.3 ypc over the last two seasons. I mean seriously, even Felix Jones has a higher ypc over the last two seasons, and I honestly don't think McFadden is much better than Felix Jones at this point, who has declined to a 3rd string player. My guess is McFadden may be out of the league after the 2014 season or third string on some team like the Bengals.

How many RBs have there been that switched teams after 6 seasons and had a monster season in year 7? Curtis Martin is one player that comes to mind, but year 7 was his fourth season with the Jets and he was a far more durable player than McFadden. Charlie Garner is another example in seasons 6 and 7 with the 49ers. And Dillon did it in year 8 with the Patriots. But I don't see McFadden in the same class as any of those guys at this point.

It's easier to sound like you know what you're talking about if you just make things up.

In fact, Thomas Jones did not have a 1,000+ yard rushing season until his 6th season, his second on the Bears. DMC already had his 1,100 yard season during his 3rd year in the league. Although technically that was Jones' 3rd chance, as he played for the Cards and Bucs before. TJones also had seasons averaging 3.3 and 3.4 ypc (DMC was at 3.3 the last two seasons, but was at 5.2 and 5.4 for two seasons in his career... TJones never broke the 5.0 ypc mark in his career).

Turning to Benson... he never had more than 1,000 yards until his 5th season. He had seasons of 3.4 and 3.5 ypc before that... and likewise never went over 5.0 in his entire career.

So, the first point you made is entirely false. Your second point, on age... DMC turned 26 in August, meaning he turned 21 right before the start of his rookie season (fairly young for a rook). TJones was, actually, 27 years old during his first 1,000 yard season referenced above during his 6th year in the league. DMC will turn 27 in August before the season starts. Benson, likewise, turned 27 during his 5th season, referenced above, when he broke 1,000 yards for the first time.

So, 0 for 2 now on your facts... you might want to put in an application at Fox News -- your assessment of DMC certainly seems "fair and balanced."

Rather than bigger RBs like Jones and Benson, a more apt comparison might be one Reggie Bush -- who struggled to stay healthy during his first 5 years on the Saints (missed ~40% of his games), never rushing for more than 1,000 yards. His YPC was pretty low, at 3.6 3.7 and 3.8 during his first 3 years. Then, during his 6th season, at age 26, on his second chance with a new team, he stayed healthy for 15 games, and ran for over 1,000 yards on 5.0 ypc.

So, in fact, a high octane but injury prone RB who has been at times both electric and terrible can change teams after 5-6 years in the league and still put up decent numbers. If any FBGs out there are going to listen to this sort of analysis and make dynasty moves based on such input, it would do you well to double check the data. The fact that this sort of wildly inaccurate, emotionally driven post can garner multiple likes when it's clearly wrong does not bode very well for the quality of analysis in the Sharkpool.

There's no certainty of course that DMC will bounce back where ever he lands next year. But his value is incredibly low and if you can buy and hope for a bounce, it's a decent play. If you already have him, he's clearly a hold.

Edited by karmarooster
  • Like 1

It's easier to sound like you know what you're talking about if you just make things up.

In fact, Thomas Jones did not have a 1,000+ yard rushing season until his 6th season, his second on the Bears. DMC already had his 1,100 yard season during his 3rd year in the league. Although technically that was Jones' 3rd chance, as he played for the Cards and Bucs before. TJones also had seasons averaging 3.3 and 3.4 ypc (DMC was at 3.3 the last two seasons, but was at 5.2 and 5.4 for two seasons in his career... TJones never broke the 5.0 ypc mark in his career).

Turning to Benson... he never had more than 1,000 yards until his 5th season. He had seasons of 3.4 and 3.5 ypc before that... and likewise never went over 5.0 in his entire career.

So, the first point you made is entirely false. Your second point, on age... DMC turned 26 in August, meaning he turned 21 right before the start of his rookie season (fairly young for a rook). TJones was, actually, 27 years old during his first 1,000 yard season referenced above during his 6th year in the league. DMC will turn 27 in August before the season starts. Benson, likewise, turned 27 during his 5th season, referenced above, when he broke 1,000 yards for the first time.

So, 0 for 2 now on your facts... you might want to put in an application at Fox News -- your assessment of DMC certainly seems "fair and balanced."

Rather than bigger RBs like Jones and Benson, a more apt comparison might be one Reggie Bush -- who struggled to stay healthy during his first 5 years on the Saints (missed ~40% of his games), never rushing for more than 1,000 yards. His YPC was pretty low, at 3.6 3.7 and 3.8 during his first 3 years. Then, during his 6th season, at age 26, on his second chance with a new team, he stayed healthy for 15 games, and ran for over 1,000 yards on 5.0 ypc.

So, in fact, a high octane but injury prone RB who has been at times both electric and terrible can change teams after 5-6 years in the league and still put up decent numbers. If any FBGs out there are going to listen to this sort of analysis and make dynasty moves based on such input, it would do you well to double check the data. The fact that this sort of wildly inaccurate, emotionally driven post can garner multiple likes when it's clearly wrong does not bode very well for the quality of analysis in the Sharkpool.

There's no certainty of course that DMC will bounce back where ever he lands next year. But his value is incredibly low and if you can buy and hope for a bounce, it's a decent play. If you already have him, he's clearly a hold.

This is far better than anything I could have said. All I know is history repeats itself. It doesn't happen on every second chance but to ignore a value play is silly and downright stupid. To have a guy with McFadden's ceiling be available on a waiver wire or a mid round dynasty pick is well worth the risk in a mid size to deep league. No one is saying to rely on this guy but I don't like to be the one that sleeps on these things even if all that comes of it is I turn around and trade him for greater value later on.

Bingo

This is far better than anything I could have said. All I know is history repeats itself. It doesn't happen on every second chance but to ignore a value play is silly and downright stupid. To have a guy with McFadden's ceiling be available on a waiver wire or a mid round dynasty pick is well worth the risk in a mid size to deep league. No one is saying to rely on this guy but I don't like to be the one that sleeps on these things even if all that comes of it is I turn around and trade him for greater value later on.

Depends a lot on the league. In a deep league, sure, he's worth a shot. In an average league, "the value play" angle goes both ways. The value plays last off-season were Felix Jones and Beanie Wells. Some folks were still targeting Benson. But if instead of going for those 2nd chance value plays, what if you went for the "we haven't seen yet" value plays? Stacy for example.

It boils down to odds. I've got no issue if folks want to take a shot on a guy like McFadden - he once looked very very good for a brief period of time. But I also have no issue with ignoring him completely in favor of guys we haven't seen disappoint so many times, and who didn't look AWFUL for the last two years. Some guys have bounced back from that, but a lot more haven't.

Bush is a GREAT example - I never thought he would be useful again after watching him over those first couple of years. But there aren't many others. Benson didn't really turn his career around, he just lucked out on a perfect running team. He was still averaging in the mid to high threes, grinding it out. That doesn't seem like McFadden's kind of gig. Thomas Jones is a good example. Drys up pretty quick after that, and then you have to look at every back who was banged up a lot and looked awful for two years straight and DIDN'T pan out later on. That list is a lot longer.

Pead

Ryan Williams

Leshoure

Dan Thomas

Best

Hardesty

Wells

Stewart

Felix Jones

Mendenhall

Slaton

Kevin Smith

Peyton Hillis

Irons

Maroney

Lendale White

Norwood

Caddy

Arrington

William Green

Duckett

Foster

Dayne

These aren't all perfect comparisons by a long shot, but most were REALLY highly regarded at some point (either BEFORE their careers started, or early on in them) and then began to get injured and/or disappoint heavily, never really recovered and were (or will be in some cases) out of the league before they were too old to play. The BEST matches are guys like Felix Jones and Beanie Wells. Those guys flashed talent in the right situations but were not durable/effective enough as a feature back.

I can't understand anyone holding out hope on this guy having any value... I really hope there is at least one or two people in either of my leagues that has any hope.

A few questions:

1. Will his fragile body get better or worse with age?
  2. Contract year stats: 114 attempts, 379 yards, 3.3 per carry ---- He'll do better now?
  3. Outside of 2010, his year rushing totals are 499, 357, 614, 708, & 379. He was supposed to be the lead dog every one of these years ---- What am I missing here? He'll be more appealing as a number 2 guy?
  4. He looked awful after the first month of the season, any reason to think that'll change in 2014?
  5. Why don't I ever or rarely hear the phrase "huge bust" mentioned with this guy? If it wasn't for Gholston, he would be the biggest bust of the 08 draft.

I can't see any GM giving this guy more than a vet minimum with the lowest amount of guaranteed money possible... I'm sure someone will give him more, but it will obviously be a huge mistake...

2 of his best games fantasy point wise this year, were two of the ugliest performances I've ever seen out of a rb. First Den game where he threw for a TD and the Pitt game where he ran in 2-3 short ones.

This guy just stinks.

Edited by RBM
Guest General Tso

I'm all for 2nd chances. I gave him that chance 2 years ago. And just for laughs I gave him a 3rd chance this year. A contract year when you'd think he'd somehow suck it up and actually play. And he rushed for all of 300 yards. Every week a new injury, a new excuse.

You can have him next year pal. Good luck with that.

It's unfortunate that you simply misread or misunderstood my post, as both of the sections you bolded were completely accurate statements referencing when they got their "second chance" as they both only played 3 seasons for the team that drafted them. And we are actually both in agreement that Jones and Benson are not apt comparisons for McFadden, and this was one of the main reasons for my reply to the OP who brought up Jones and Benson as second chance dynasty comparisons.

Where we do not agree is this notion that McFadden is still a high octane RB as you put it. He's simply not anymore and guys like Jones and Benson never were. McFadden only had one game this season with any touches that went over 20 yds (long of 30 against lowly JAX) and sported a 3.3 ypc for the second year in a row. By contrast Rashad Jennings had at least half a dozen touches (rush/rec) that went for over 20yds and posted 4.5 ypc playing on the same team.

Meanwhile, McFadden had every reason to have a career year in year 6 and yet played like he didn't give a ####, very unlike Reggie Bush. Now he's heading into year 7 with a declining skill set, a long and chronic injury history, and a very short list of potential teams that will show any interest in him as a RB1 including the team that drafted and developed him. The 2014 draft also appears to be one that will be very, very deep at RB. Sure he could regain the lost form that he never really consistently had to begin with, but hey so could Jonathan Stewart. Keep hope alive if you are still holding both of these guys in dynasty.

• 1 month later...

Rotoworld:

The player rep for free agent Darren McFadden will meet with the Raiders Saturday.

We wouldn't expect talks to get very far. The frustratingly talented McFadden has missed 19 games over the last three seasons, averaged 3.29 YPC over the last two years and fell behind Rashad Jennings on the depth chart last season. The Raiders are fully expected to let McFadden hit the open market, where old friend Hue Jackson -- now the offensive coordinator of the Bengals -- could make an offer.
Related: Bengals, Browns

Rotoworld:

CSN Bay Area expects Darren McFadden to walk in free agency unless his market "bottoms out."

A source tells reporter Scott Bair the Raiders are only interested in McFadden "at the right price," and that price is dirt cheap. DMC should generate just enough interest that he won't have to come crawling back to the Raiders. He still has upside if utilized correctly. The Raiders made a mess of DMC's usage after coach Hue Jackson was fired.
  • 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

An agent at the Scouting Combine told NFL.com that free agent Darren McFadden isn't expected to sign with the Bengals.

McFadden and his agent reportedly feel like they'll have more attractive offers. (We're skeptical.) Bengals OC Hue Jackson has always been a big believer in McFadden, and the running back had his best season under Jackson in Oakland. DMC wants to be a starter and big part of the offense. With Gio Bernard ready to take off in Cincy, it may not be in the cards there. DMC simply can't be trusted to stay healthy. He might be best off signing a one-year deal.
Related: Bengals
Source: NFL.com

It's unfortunate that you simply misread or misunderstood my post, as both of the sections you bolded were completely accurate statements referencing when they got their "second chance" as they both only played 3 seasons for the team that drafted them. And we are actually both in agreement that Jones and Benson are not apt comparisons for McFadden, and this was one of the main reasons for my reply to the OP who brought up Jones and Benson as second chance dynasty comparisons.

Where we do not agree is this notion that McFadden is still a high octane RB as you put it. He's simply not anymore and guys like Jones and Benson never were. McFadden only had one game this season with any touches that went over 20 yds (long of 30 against lowly JAX) and sported a 3.3 ypc for the second year in a row. By contrast Rashad Jennings had at least half a dozen touches (rush/rec) that went for over 20yds and posted 4.5 ypc playing on the same team.

Meanwhile, McFadden had every reason to have a career year in year 6 and yet played like he didn't give a ####, very unlike Reggie Bush. Now he's heading into year 7 with a declining skill set, a long and chronic injury history, and a very short list of potential teams that will show any interest in him as a RB1 including the team that drafted and developed him. The 2014 draft also appears to be one that will be very, very deep at RB. Sure he could regain the lost form that he never really consistently had to begin with, but hey so could Jonathan Stewart. Keep hope alive if you are still holding both of these guys in dynasty.

Drafted Mcfadden 1.01 his rookie year in dynasty and finally traded him straight up prior to the 2013 for a late first round rookie pick.

Tantalizing upside always, generally though, a colossal :wall: .

Sadly, his body is about as brittle as this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdEAwFH4I34 .

Won't carry the ball more than 250 times for the rest of his career in the NFL.... & that is a generous estimate.

I wonder how many injuries were of the exaggerated variety to not wanna play in Oakland. Change of scenery can do a lot for a persons mind and maybe body.

Won't carry the ball more than 250 times for the rest of his career in the NFL.... & that is a generous estimate.

I wonder how many injuries were of the exaggerated variety to not wanna play in Oakland. Change of scenery can do a lot for a persons mind and maybe body.

He was just in a contract year, so I would say zero from 2013...

Was this a serious post?

• Like 1

Was this a serious post?

You could argue that there's not much incentive to play hurt for a team that's ultimately going to end up with 4 - 5 wins.

Was this a serious post?

You could argue that there's not much incentive to play hurt for a team that's ultimately going to end up with 4 - 5 wins.

McFadden can't stay healthy and the odds are against him, but it would not be the first time a highly talented player in Oakland went through the motions before changing scenery the following year and going crazy.

-Randy Moss 2006 in his prime at 29 years of age in Oakland he put up 42 catches for 553 yards and 3 tds in 13 games.

-Randy Moss 2007 at age 30 now in New England: 98 catches, 1493 yards and 23 td's in 16 games.

Christopher Hansen‏@ChrisHansenNFL1m

DMAC is back. RT @FallonSmithCSN: Per source: Looks like Darren McFadden will sign/agree to Oakland's 1 year offer. #

He's baaaaack!

Lol here we go again. Buckle up.

I guess it is good he has a job, but I think he would have been more successful and more FF valuable in NO.

Christopher Hansen‏@ChrisHansenNFL1m

DMAC is back. RT @FallonSmithCSN: Per source: Looks like Darren McFadden will sign/agree to Oakland's 1 year offer. #

He's baaaaack!

I guess it is good he has a job, but I think he would have been more successful and more FF valuable in NO.

They have no cap room.

Christopher Hansen@ChrisHansenNFL1m

He's baaaaack!

That makes no sense in light of Shefters report yesterday. If he's drawing significant interest why sign a one year deal prove it deal in an offense which makes proving anything difficult. I'm going to not believe this one until another source reports it.

As a DMC owner I'd be incredibly bummed. Been waiting years to see what he can do in an offense with some real NFL talent.

Christopher Hansen@ChrisHansenNFL1m

He's baaaaack!

That makes no sense in light of Shefters report yesterday. If he's drawing significant interest why sign a one year deal prove it deal in an offense which makes proving anything difficult. I'm going to not believe this one until another source reports it.

As a DMC owner I'd be incredibly bummed. Been waiting years to see what he can do in an offense with some real NFL talent.

So has McFadden.

You'd think he would choose a new chance in a new system over whatever money they threw at him.

As a Latavius Murray owner, I'm glad that he will be competing against DMC and not Rashad Jennings. Ideally and selfishly I would love for the Raiders to head into 2014 with Murray as their guy, but that was unrealistic. Given DMC's poor performance and injury history I think Latavius Murray will get his shot in 2014.

• Like 1

As a Latavius Murray owner, I'm glad that he will be competing against DMC and not Rashad Jennings. Ideally and selfishly I would love for the Raiders to head into 2014 with Murray as their guy, but that was unrealistic. Given DMC's poor performance and injury history I think Latavius Murray will get his shot in 2014.

I think DMC and Murray will both be competing against Jennings this year.

McFadden owner here and a little bummed but with Jennings gone now (more than likely) and a young unproven back as his only competition, is ending up back in Oakland really that bad?

I would say it is one of the few places where he can get a lot of touches. What he can do with those touches is another story.

A 1 year deal shows me he isn't getting the kind of payday he is looking for in the market and he wants to show off his talents. It also shows me that Oakland probably really likes Murray and wants to be able to bring him along slowly this year.

We will see if it actually happens