What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

>>>> Owning McFadden <<<< (2 Viewers)

Oh well, I've got him as my RB2/3. When he's healthy, he usually produces. I've got Murray handcuffed as well, I feel pretty set for 2014 assuming they don't draft a RB early.

I can't wait to see the contract
$4m for 1 year is what I saw tweeted
At best. Apparently he got a shockingly small $100K guaranteed and $2.25 million of that $4million is in what has been deemed "unlikely to be earned incentives".

I can only imagine his incentive for taking this contract is he was promised or felt the Raiders gave him his best shot to start next season and try again in FA next year.

Curious to know what the Giants paid Jennings.

Ouch Ouch Ouch. Good luck to the remaining RBs out there.

Darren McFadden - RB - Raiders
Updating an earlier item, Darren McFadden's new one-year deal with the Raiders is worth $1.75 million, with another $2.25 million available through incentives.
So it's worth up to $4 million, and not $4 million flat. It's a much more realistic number considering DMC's recent production. The fact that McFadden signed such a bargain-basement deal only hours into free agency is a sign he generated zero buzz during the league's legal-tampering period. In theory, it's a good deal for the Raiders, but a change of scenery would have done both sides well.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden's agent says his client turned down more money elsewhere to re-sign with the Raiders.
"We did have real interest from four or five other teams -- one offered more money," said Ian Greengross, McFadden's agent. "Darren wanted to stay a Raider. He felt like he still had something to prove in silver and black." It couldn't have been much more money, but it's a sign that McFadden believes he has the best chance to revive his sputtering career in Oakland. For now, he only has to beat out raw yet intriguing sophomore Latavius Murray for the starting gig. Rashad Jennings has signed with the Giants.

Related: Latavius Murray

Source: Contra Costa Times

McFadden must really like being rooted in Oakland. I think he wants to have a good year and sign on to finish his career there. Who knows how that plays out. Good deal for Oakland as they pay a bargain price for a guy wanting to prove something and he has talent.

This snippet of information comes from walterfootball.com: http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014recap.php I found the bolded part to be the most interesting part.

Thanks to Charlie Campbell's great reporting, we were able to call this one a month ago. As I discussed in the Fantasy RB Rankings, the Raiders were able to convince McFadden to stay by offering him a new training regimen. McFadden's workout habits have always been poor, so there's hope that he'll stay healthy and rebound with a strong 2014 campaign with some better training.

This is a great move for both parties. If McFadden has a breakout season like I expect him to, he'll get a big deal next spring. The Raiders, meanwhile, can keep their starting running back for a no-risk deal worth just $4 million.

I still don't get why people think he is now going to produce. Wasn't he playing for a contract this past season? And how did that work out? The guy lost his starting job to an average-at-best running back. He had a new injury every other week. He refuses to play unless he is a full 100%. His work ethic is horrible. How can you call yourself a pro when your team has to convince you to train better? It's maddening that he still gets chances in the NFL.

But hey, he was real talented at one point in time so I guess hope springs eternal. Every year we laugh like hell at the guy who drafts McFadden and this year will be no different.

I still don't get why people think he is now going to produce. Wasn't he playing for a contract this past season? And how did that work out? The guy lost his starting job to an average-at-best running back. He had a new injury every other week. He refuses to play unless he is a full 100%. His work ethic is horrible. How can you call yourself a pro when your team has to convince you to train better? It's maddening that he still gets chances in the NFL.

But hey, he was real talented at one point in time so I guess hope springs eternal. Every year we laugh like hell at the guy who drafts McFadden and this year will be no different.
Everyone gets it. He failed on you so you guys hate him. I never laugh at anyone who takes anyone. People thought I was a little off taking Julius Thomas in drafts about preseason week one. Yes, this is different but then again it's not. Perhaps the draft will dictate different but he's a #1 RB on a team with no QB and a coach shown he's very willing to run the ball. He has a high pedigree despite his failings and even as you laughed at that guy last year he was doing alright through 3 weeks with the Raiders attempting to lean on him and him being roughly the #8 RB. It's talent and opportunity with a mix of pedigree. Everyone knows top draft picks are going to get multiple shots and for good reason. This discussion is also pointless when you talk redraft. It's different. I would agree with you to avoid McFadden and saw him taken in rounds 2 to 4 and was pleased to have someone else come available because of it. That being said this year if he's around rounds 6 to 10 with the same situation you have to consider it. In dynasty, especially deep dynasty, he is definitely a hold. Only 32 guys get a chance to be a starter and he's shown he can do it in the past I fail to see what others are seeing here. No one is saying sell the farm for McFadden just that whether you guys hate him or not he will be given another shot.

I think Mcfadden's biggest battle will be against his fragile ######. If he can keep from hurting it he will have a decent season. I don't see Murray as much of a threat.

You guys want the real tip here, shark move...

Come closer, shhhhhh.

Grab Marcel Reece in the last couple of rounds, he'll out produce Hurt DMC.

Two questions for the injury predictors. At what point, if any, would you draft him? And what week do you expect him to get hurt?

Two questions for the injury predictors. At what point, if any, would you draft him? And what week do you expect him to get hurt?
Maybe a round 12-14 flyer, maybe... I expect him hobbled up in the preseason and then missing weeks 3-8 and then 11-14 and finishing up 15-17.

This snippet of information comes from walterfootball.com: http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014recap.php I found the bolded part to be the most interesting part.

Thanks to Charlie Campbell's great reporting, we were able to call this one a month ago. As I discussed in the Fantasy RB Rankings, the Raiders were able to convince McFadden to stay by offering him a new training regimen. McFadden's workout habits have always been poor, so there's hope that he'll stay healthy and rebound with a strong 2014 campaign with some better training.

This is a great move for both parties. If McFadden has a breakout season like I expect him to, he'll get a big deal next spring. The Raiders, meanwhile, can keep their starting running back for a no-risk deal worth just $4 million.
It would be great if there was some missed trick to him being healthy.

But first of all this guy is a former premium pick, supposed to be franchise back, a multi-year vet and now the Raiders are actually advertising that, well, as it turns out, he's had "poor workouts" I guess for years, and that's a good thing because it explains his mediocre career? Terrible, that speaks to discipline and work ethic I'd say. And how has the franchise let this go on? Now he's going to do as he's told, great.

Also even when he was "healthy" last year he didn't do all that well. I think most people were hoping he would go to a franchise that wouldn't tolerate him not getting with the program and also give him a role of some kind in a good offense with a good OC or offensive HC. He got neither here. And Oakland still has Oline problems and maybe another crummy QB year ahead (though maybe the right rookie QB changes that).

For Oakland's part it sounds to me regardless of remaining potential they should be moving on and start building a new offensive philosophy and a new team culture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The Contra Costa Times' Steve Corkran said he expects RB Darren McFadden to be the Raiders' starting running back if healthy.
Corkran added he expects McFadden to have the most yards from scrimmage of an Oakland back this season. It is a bold position to take considering McFadden's injury history and the presence of newly-acquired RB Maurice Jones-Drew. No matter who is the "starter," the Oakland backfield projects as an almost straight timeshare between two backs on the downsides of their career. Not exactly a blueprint for fantasy success.

Related: Maurice Jones-Drew

Source: Contra Costa Times

Interesting that DMC is on the downside, yet gerhart is a sleeper this year and they're the same age.
That is the perception, but that may not be the reality. DMC has actually shown that he has what it takes on the field, which cannot yet be said for Gerhart (despite the incessant EBF hype). The problem is, of course, that DMC can't stay healthy, but the last year that he was (2010) he was the 2nd best RB in average points scored per game in PPR leagues (with Foster being #1) and I won two league championships with him on my roster.

Gerhart is not really so much a sleeper anymore, ranked #88 overall in dynasty rankings here (DMC didn't make the top 100 cut) and among dynasty RBs is #30, while DMC is #36. Judging from what the Gerhart owners are asking for in trade and the lack of interest in McFadden, I would say the latter is the sleeper of the two. I am hoping he does a Fred Taylor and holds together for the entire season, but his history suggests that is being overly optimistic.

Interesting that DMC is on the downside, yet gerhart is a sleeper this year and they're the same age.
That is the perception, but that may not be the reality. DMC has actually shown that he has what it takes on the field, which cannot yet be said for Gerhart (despite the incessant EBF hype). The problem is, of course, that DMC can't stay healthy, but the last year that he was (2010) he was the 2nd best RB in average points scored per game in PPR leagues (with Foster being #1) and I won two league championships with him on my roster.

Gerhart is not really so much a sleeper anymore, ranked #88 overall in dynasty rankings here (DMC didn't make the top 100 cut) and among dynasty RBs is #30, while DMC is #36. Judging from what the Gerhart owners are asking for in trade and the lack of interest in McFadden, I would say the latter is the sleeper of the two. I am hoping he does a Fred Taylor and holds together for the entire season, but his history suggests that is being overly optimistic.
Even more concerning to be than the injuries is the 3.3 YPC he's averaged the past two years. I'm not sure that even if healthy he's the same player he was in 2010/2011.

Even more concerning to be than the injuries is the 3.3 YPC he's averaged the past two years. I'm not sure that even if healthy he's the same player he was in 2010/2011.
That really doesn't bother me. In 2012 they were using the zone blocking scheme that didn't fit him and last year he had 4 games late in the season where they fell behind and the running game never got going (he had 4-7 rushes total and no more than 13 yards in any of those games). At times (when healthy) he looked like his old self and if he really has lost it, I don't think the Raiders would have resigned him, nor would the recent talk be that he is penciled in as the starting RB.

That really doesn't bother me. In 2012 they were using the zone blocking scheme that didn't fit him and last year he had 4 games late in the season where they fell behind and the running game never got going (he had 4-7 rushes total and no more than 13 yards in any of those games). At times (when healthy) he looked like his old self and if he really has lost it, I don't think the Raiders would have resigned him, nor would the recent talk be that he is penciled in as the starting RB.
McFadden hasn't looked good for the last two seasons playing in both the zone or power block scheme. The Zone scheme is just becoming an excuse for those hoping that he returns to past numbers. It's not going to happen he isn't the same player and to be honest he is a soft player, he refuses to play even when slightly dinged up. The only reason why the Raiders re-signed him is because they got him for so cheap. The Raiders offered him a low offer and to be honest I don't think they expected him to except the low offer. My money is on MJD this season and Latavius Murray being the lead back next season.

The fact this thread is still active is more impressive than McFadden's entire career.
Only if you overlook 2010, which is why many of his longtime owners are still holding him.

He started 13 games that year and had 1607 combined rushing/receiving yards and 10 TDs, broken down into:

223 rushes for 1157 yards and 7 TDs

47 receptions for 507 yards and and 3 TDs

In PPR leagues 2nd only to Arian Foster among RBs as to average fantasy points scored per game.

Yes, it was 4 years ago and maybe it was a fluke and maybe he isn't the player he was then, but it is incorrect say that he wasn't impressive for at least one year in his career.

I also picked him up recently as my # 4 RB in a couple of dynasty startups. The likelihood is that he will probably get hurt again or if he is healthy probably won't produce like 2010, but at the price of a backup RB, I think he is worth a flyer.

had him as my 4th rb, just traded him for 4 3rd round 2016 and 2 2016 4th rounders couldnt believe anyone would even want him after his last couple of years.

squistion said:
Garrett said:
The fact this thread is still active is more impressive than McFadden's entire career.
Only if you overlook 2010, which is why many of his longtime owners are still holding him.

He started 13 games that year and had 1607 combined rushing/receiving yards and 10 TDs, broken down into:

223 rushes for 1157 yards and 7 TDs

47 receptions for 507 yards and and 3 TDs

In PPR leagues 2nd only to Arian Foster among RBs as to average fantasy points scored per game.

Yes, it was 4 years ago and maybe it was a fluke and maybe he isn't the player he was then, but it is incorrect say that he wasn't impressive for at least one year in his career.

I also picked him up recently as my # 4 RB in a couple of dynasty startups. The likelihood is that he will probably get hurt again or if he is healthy probably won't produce like 2010, but at the price of a backup RB, I think he is worth a flyer.
The key to owning McFadden in 2014 is the bolded. You aren't depending on McFadden nor are you necessarily starting him in your week one lineups. He's a wait and see, still only 26 yo, and has proven he can be that "lightning in a bottle" player. If he does hit, you got a few good weeks of production, and a potential sell high candidate. If he gets hurt, what was the real loss if you took a flier on him?

Rotoworld:

Sports Illustrated's Robert Klemko reports "at this stage" Darren McFadden has the "starting edge" over Maurice Jones-Drew in the Raiders' backfield.

Klemko, however, does allow that this "should be a committee backfield considering McFadden's injury history." While McFadden may get the "starts," Jones-Drew leading the Raiders in carries is probably the safe bet. McFadden is certainly the more talented runner, but he's never played a full 16-game slate. This is going to be a timeshare. MJD and DMC are currently going in the seventh and eight rounds of fantasy drafts, respectively, as RB3/FLEX options.

Source: Sports Illustrated

Jul 30 - 12:15 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Dennis Allen said the Raiders have changed up Darren McFadden's weight room routine to help keep him on the field.
McFadden's upright running style has contributed more to his injuries, but the Raiders plan to use him less between the tackles this year, which could help him stay healthy. DMC has missed 29 games over six NFL seasons.

Source: Jerry McDonald on Twitter

Even though mjd has alot of wear, he is still the superior rb and a decent rb3. Dmc is a turd and waste of a roster spot

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden is listed as the Raiders' No. 2 tailback on their first depth chart of training camp.

Beat writers stated in the spring that they expected DMC to be the Raiders' starter, but the coaching staff ostensibly disagrees. Jones-Drew is Oakland's best inside runner and pass protector, and should open the season playing most of the snaps. OC Greg Olson will likely try to get McFadden into space as more of a receiving back. Behind a Raiders O-Line that quietly has potential, Jones-Drew is a slightly intriguing RB3. McFadden is an RB4.

Aug 4 - 5:19 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Dennis Allen said Darren McFadden "is probably running the ball as well as I've seen him run it since I've been here."

McFadden has nine carries for 50 yards (5.55 YPC) with one goal-line touchdown through two preseason games. Most importantly, he's had none of the nagging injuries that have bogged him down so many times in his career. McFadden is behind Maurice Jones-Drew for the starting job, but he's going to get enough touches to make this a RBBC situation.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 18 - 8:59 AM

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden is expected to receive a heavy workload even if Maurice Jones-Drew (hand surgery) is active for Week 3.

McFadden was an every-down back last week, and will remain Oakland's starter. He's going to get the majority of carries over Jones-Drew and Latavius Murray, but isn't more than a low-end RB3/FLEX against the Jets' run defense. McFadden had just 37 yards on 12 carries in Week 2.

Source: CSN Bay Area
Sep 20 - 3:07 PM

Yes lets use McFadden and his 3.25 yards per carry instead of giving Latavius Murray a shot. :doh:

Dennis Allen needs to be fired sooner rather then later.

Starting DMac with confidence in a couple leagues.

Well, kinda sorta confident.

Actually, I'll be crossing my fingers the whole time.
Still sitting as a free agent in my long standing 12 team money league. Nobody believes, including myself. Not oftene you see Upside RBs like CJ Anderson and Crowell rostered ahead of a league starter.

I think everyone and there mom has been burned by this guy or something.

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden is expected to start Sunday's game against the Dolphins ahead of Maurice Jones-Drew.

MJD (hand) is ready to go, but DMC keeps the gig because he's had more practice time. It doesn't mean he'll see volume. McFadden is averaging just 3.26 YPC on the season and the Raiders ideally want to use him as an outside complement to Jones-Drew, whom they view as a superior inside runner. Latavius Murray will also be sprinkled in. This Raiders backfield is for the extremely desperate only.

Sep 26 - 7:18 PM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden is expected to start Sunday's game against the Dolphins ahead of Maurice Jones-Drew.

MJD (hand) is ready to go, but DMC keeps the gig because he's had more practice time. It doesn't mean he'll see volume. McFadden is averaging just 3.26 YPC on the season and the Raiders ideally want to use him as an outside complement to Jones-Drew, whom they view as a superior inside runner. Latavius Murray will also be sprinkled in. This Raiders backfield is for the extremely desperate only.

so color me DESPERATE - my choice for RB2 is one of the Raiders or Branden Oliver in San Diego and am strongly leaning towards the latter...

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

so color me DESPERATE - my choice for RB2 is one of the Raiders or Branden Oliver in San Diego and am strongly leaning towards the latter...
I'm with you buddy. I must play McFadden and Oliver... it's a deep league and my running backs suck!

Rotoworld:

The San Francisco Chronicle expects the Raiders to use an even timeshare between Darren McFadden and Maurice Jones-Drew in Week 4 against Miami.

McFadden is expected to start, but Jones-Drew will see carries on runs between the tackles. It confirms that McFadden isn't going to keep the every-down role he had the last two games. Rotoworld ranks McFadden as the No. 37 running back play this week.

Source: Vic Tafur on Twitter
Sep 27 - 6:24 PM

Users who are viewing this thread