What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

>>>> Owning McFadden <<<< (2 Viewers)

He played 16 games last year, but feel free to ignore that fact.
So that just means he was worse than what people believe. In my league he finished as the 36th RB, behind players like Richardson, Denard Robinson, Knile Davis, Oliver and Andre Williams. These are players who didn't play every game or were third down backs. That's not good.

I think he will do better this year but not by a whole lot. I have him projected as my RB33.

So that just means he was worse than what people believe. In my league he finished as the 36th RB, behind players like Richardson, Denard Robinson, Knile Davis, Oliver and Andre Williams. These are players who didn't play every game or were third down backs. That's not good.

I think he will do better this year but not by a whole lot. I have him projected as my RB33.
McFadden was a RB on a team with a bad coach, bad OLine and a rookie QB with no WRs.

SUCCESS!

It's just hard to be optimistic about a guy who only had one good year, never started all 16 games, and consistently gets hurt. I'd like to see him do well, he is still young enough to.

It's just hard to be optimistic about a guy who only had one good year, never started all 16 games, and consistently gets hurt. I'd like to see him do well, he is still young enough to.
So this opportunity doesnt scream of the chance to do good?

*Behind a great OLine.

*Little Proven talent anywhere around him.

*Headcase as his competition.

*Great complementary weapons in Romo, Dez and Witten

*Fewer 8 and sometimes even 9 man boxes.

*Playing with the lead more often.

*Coming off a healthy season.

*Jerry loves him.

*Probably the most hungry RB set to prove a point in the NFL.

McFadden was a RB on a team with a bad coach, bad OLine and a rookie QB with no WRs.

SUCCESS!
See Latavious Murray.

So this opportunity doesnt scream of the chance to do good?

*Behind a great OLine.

*Little Proven talent anywhere around him.

*Headcase as his competition.

*Great complementary weapons in Romo, Dez and Witten

*Fewer 8 and sometimes even 9 man boxes.

*Playing with the lead more often.

*Coming off a healthy season.

*Jerry loves him.

*Probably the most hungry RB set to prove a point in the NFL.
Those may all be true but still has some competition at RB and there is no way you can ignore his history with INJURIES. He's already having hammy problems and those can nag an athlete all year. His odds of getting hurt are higher than most players. To ignore would not be wise.

SUCCESS!
See Latavious Murray.
That's fair but there is a counter argument that teams focused on McFadden more then Murray or the other backs.

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden (hamstring) was a full participant at Tuesday's practice.

Hamstring tightness limited him to individual drills during OTAs. He worked with the second unit Tuesday while Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar practiced with the starters. With the backfield up for grabs, we'd expect McFadden to get at least a few first-team reps before minicamp comes to a close.

Related: Lance Dunbar, Joseph Randle

Source: Clarence Hill on Twitter
Jun 16 - 1:46 PM

SUCCESS!
See Latavious Murray.
That's fair but there is a counter argument that teams focused on McFadden more then Murray or the other backs.
You really think teams were focused on stopping McFadden and his 3.4 YPC in 2014?

SUCCESS!
See Latavious Murray.
You really think teams were focused on stopping McFadden and his 3.4 YPC in 2014?
Yes, hence the low average.

SUCCESS!
See Latavious Murray.
I guess that is a possibility.

I will say this about DMC and his new situation. While he is healthy, he should put up strong numbers in Dallas. If I drafted DMC, I would make sure I had other RBs to fill his spot once he is injured. Going into the FF season with DMC and a thin RB roster will likely end up a disaster.

SUCCESS!
See Latavious Murray.
In the 4 games that Murray had 10+ carries his YPC was 3.3 / 4.9 / 3.7 / 3.7. It's a small sample size but people are acting like Murray was a monster behind that line once he took over. It also shows that his 5.2 ypc last year was highly inflated by the one KC game where he had a 28 ypc game that accounted for a 4th of his total yards. Which was also a Thursday night game when KC had just beat Seattle 4 days before.

I generally hate the argument "well if you remove whatever" but in this case, the sample size is so small that people are looking at year end stats and not really recognizing how he got there. Maybe DMC is washed up, but I don't think drawing parellels between him and Latavius proves anything. That whole team was a dumpster fire last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Free agent signings who could flourish in 2015

Excerpt:

Darren McFadden – Dallas Cowboys

2014: 155 Attempts 534 Yards 2 Touchdowns (with Oakland Raiders)

Darren McFadden was the fourth overall pick out of Arkansas in the 2008 NFL draft and was considered by many as a “can’t miss prospect”. Well, seven years playing in Oakland coupled with a number of nagging injuries, McFadden now finds himself battling for a chance to start for the Dallas Cowboys. When the Cowboys lost running back Demarco Murray to the Eagles this offseason, speculation was that Dallas would find his replacement by trade (Adrian Peterson) or surely in the draft (Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon). With McFadden, the Cowboys feel they have a talented, 27 year old, running back, who was playing on bad teams in Oakland, with not much talent surrounding him. In seven seasons with the Raiders, McFadden played for five different head coaches, and had only two non-losing seasons in 2010 and 2011, when both years, they finished 8-8. 2010 was also the year McFadden had his best season, rushing for over 1,100 yards and seven touchdowns in just 13 games. In Dallas, McFadden will be playing with an established quarterback, a Pro Bowl receiver, and more importantly, an offensive line that has three Pro Bowlers on it. McFadden is also a good fit in the zone running attack the Cowboys like to deploy. He has shown to have good vision and the ability to cut back and quickly get through a hole. He displays patience in allowing his blocking to develop, plus the speed and quick feet to break the run to the outside. Injuries have been a problem for McFadden, as 2014 was the first time he had played in all 16 games of a season. To offset any injury concerns, the Cowboys plan on rotating McFadden with both Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar, in hopes that this will keep them healthy and fresh throughout the year. McFadden has said coming to Dallas, getting acclimated to a new winning atmosphere, and knowing he is playing on a better team has rejuvenated him. Look for McFadden to have a very good year and help compliment the passing attack led by Tony Romo, Dez Bryant, and company.

As bad as DMC has been, well, since that one year he didn't suck in 2010 (wow, it's actually been half a decade).... he somehow managed to land himself in the best possible scenario in Dallas.

Solid, behemoth o-line? Check.

DeMarco Murray shipped out? Check.

Next best alternative RB is barely replacement level? Check in Joseph Randle.

No other RB on the roster even remotely competent in handling a full-time gig? Check in Ryan Williams and Lance Dunbar (who I actually like but let's be honest he's strictly a gadget-player due to size).

So I'd call it a 7 out of 10 chance DMC continues being DMC. But, there remains a 30% chance that he stays healthy and actually benefits from going from arguably the worst o-line in the league to arguably the best o-line in the league. Just enough promise to suck me back in for the inevitable crushing disappointment.

(I actually saw that Lache Seastrunk is on the Dallas roster as of today per nfl.com..... so you're saying there's a chance??)

Last edited by a moderator:
As bad as DMC has been, well, since that one year he didn't suck in 2010 (wow, it's actually been half a decade).... he somehow managed to land himself in the best possible scenario in Dallas.

Solid, behemoth o-line? Check.

DeMarco Murray shipped out? Check.

Next best alternative RB is barely replacement level? Check in Joseph Randle.

No other RB on the roster even remotely competent in handling a full-time gig? Check in Ryan Williams and Lance Dunbar (who I actually like but let's be honest he's strictly a gadget-player due to size).

So I'd call it a 7 out of 10 chance DMC continues being DMC. But, there remains a 30% chance that he stays healthy and actually benefits from going from arguably the worst o-line in the league to arguably the best o-line in the league. Just enough promise to suck me back in for the inevitable crushing disappointment.

(I actually saw that Lache Seastrunk is on the Dallas roster as of today per nfl.com..... so you're saying there's a chance??)
Yeah, this is a tough one. A healthy DMC getting touches can put up a really good year behind that O-line. Similar to Murray with the upright running style...

Why hitch your wagon to the old man before giving the 23 year old underwear bandit (who I have financial connections to apparently) a chance? I mean, he should have been cut. Them being so smitten with McFadden and all. Uh...no. I know this is a McFadden thread so I won't come in here taunting. I hate to say it though, but, right now, Randle has just as much a shot of being the feature back as McFadden, if not more. He's homegrown. But continue on McFadden supporters. That's why we create these threads. To show love to the guys we own.

Well, I'll think I'll pass on drafting Randle in the 5th. I have no issue with taking DMC in the 9th. Been grabbing him everywhere I can especially in leagues where I'm drafting "upside down."

Why hitch your wagon to the old man before giving the 23 year old underwear bandit (who I have financial connections to apparently) a chance? I mean, he should have been cut. Them being so smitten with McFadden and all. Uh...no. I know this is a McFadden thread so I won't come in here taunting. I hate to say it though, but, right now, Randle has just as much a shot of being the feature back as McFadden, if not more. He's homegrown. But continue on McFadden supporters. That's why we create these threads. To show love to the guys we own.
Certainly Randle is in the best seat here. But it isn't like he has played a full NFL season. This may be a plug and play scenario like Denver has been. The next guy up can put up RB1 numbers behind that line. I'm still a little shocked they are comfortable having that next guy be DMC...

This will never happen, sir.

Consider that DeMarco Murray needed an outrageous 392 carries last season -- 80 more attempts than anyone else -- to reach 1,845 yards at a strong 4.7 yards per tote.

McFadden hasn't crossed the 3.4 yards per carry barrier since 2011.

For those of you who want to blame the Raiders for that, consider that the oft-injured McFadden over the years has trailed Mike Goodson, Latavius Murray, Marcel Reece and Rashad Jennings in YPC behind the same offensive line.

The summer-long debate over whether McFadden or Joseph Randle will lead the way for Dallas might also wind up as so much white noise: This is shaping up as a committee-structured backfield that will also hand scant carries to Lance Dunbar and might ultimately bring in another body -- maybe Chris Johnson.

Certainly Randle is in the best seat here. But it isn't like he has played a full NFL season. This may be a plug and play scenario like Denver has been. The next guy up can put up RB1 numbers behind that line. I'm still a little shocked they are comfortable having that next guy be DMC...
I don't think there is anything certain about the Cowboys RB situation right nor would I assume DMC is the next man up.

This will never happen, sir.

Consider that DeMarco Murray needed an outrageous 392 carries last season -- 80 more attempts than anyone else -- to reach 1,845 yards at a strong 4.7 yards per tote.

McFadden hasn't crossed the 3.4 yards per carry barrier since 2011.

For those of you who want to blame the Raiders for that, consider that the oft-injured McFadden over the years has trailed Mike Goodson, Latavius Murray, Marcel Reece and Rashad Jennings in YPC behind the same offensive line.

The summer-long debate over whether McFadden or Joseph Randle will lead the way for Dallas might also wind up as so much white noise: This is shaping up as a committee-structured backfield that will also hand scant carries to Lance Dunbar and might ultimately bring in another body -- maybe Chris Johnson.
:thumbup: 2,000 yards :lmao:

DMC could maaaaybe rush for a 2000 total yard pace (forget rushing alone) for 3-4 games, in a perfect storm scenario, before pulling a hammy in the first quarter of week 6 and destroying your week, followed by 6-8 weeks of on again, off again injury report BS, finally shutting it down for the season in week 15.

I have him in a league, so I'd love for him to be a solid contributor to Big D's backfield...........but I aint holdin my breath. Starting TC on the PUP with a hammy does not instill confidence. Randle is the guy to have this year. I'd take him in the 5th in a redraft. I don't know where is ADP is currently, but my guess is it'll creep up as we get closer to the season.

Well, my post right above yours ruins that theory. I'm both an owner and 'Boys fan. I dont expect him to be the lead RB, or get anywhere near 2000 yards. I doubt he gets anywhere near 1000 yards. I think most Boys fans feel the same.

Raiderfan32904 said:
He's on his way to injuring each and every nerve, tendon, cartilage, and bone in his frail body.
Completely unbiased opinion right here fellas.

Murray was and is injury prone too. Only in a contract year behind a great line did he put it all on the line to play. Even last year Murray got hurt and wasn't as effective post hand injury.

Ice been listening to all the local beat guys recently and the few guys who thought Randle would be the guy changed their minds after seeing McFadden in practice.

I think McFadden will step up but injuries aren't predictable.

Yep...I've seen McFadden look like the best RB on the roster by far for the past three years at the Raiders camp. Good luck with that. Randle is the RB to own on the Cowboys and for relatively cheap for what he will give us. I expect ~100o yards and 8+ TD's over the 4-16 week time period.

Manster said:
Well, my post right above yours ruins that theory. I'm both an owner and 'Boys fan. I dont expect him to be the lead RB, or get anywhere near 2000 yards. I doubt he gets anywhere near 1000 yards. I think most Boys fans feel the same.
My point was mixed in with a little humor. The third side is what is 99% likely to happen.

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden - RB - Cowboys

ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Cowboys' "frustration (is) building" over the absence of Darren McFadden (hamstrings).

Battling injuries to both hamstrings, McFadden has barely practiced since the Cowboys signed him two a two-year, $3 million deal in March. As Werder notes, McFadden's inability to participate has forced more reps onto their other running backs' plates. Unless McFadden gets back into practice soon, the Cowboys are going to have to add another runner to their already-shaky stable.

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

Aug 5 - 10:03 PM

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden - RB - Cowboys

ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Cowboys' "frustration (is) building" over the absence of Darren McFadden (hamstrings).

Battling injuries to both hamstrings, McFadden has barely practiced since the Cowboys signed him two a two-year, $3 million deal in March. As Werder notes, McFadden's inability to participate has forced more reps onto their other running backs' plates. Unless McFadden gets back into practice soon, the Cowboys are going to have to add another runner to their already-shaky stable.

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

Aug 5 - 10:03 PM
Ronnie Hillman, Ahmad Bradshaw ?

Rotoworld:

Darren McFadden took the majority of first-team reps at Cowboys practice on Tuesday.

McFadden opened practice drills with the ones and scored a touchdown on a delayed run. Beat writer Todd Archer observed that DMC looked "fast" on the play. "Boy, if we can keep him out there, he'll tear their you know what up," stated Jerry Jones. McFadden is pushing Joe Randle for early-down carries. DMC seems to be past his dueling offseason hamstring strains. (For now, at least.)

Source: Todd Archer on Twitter

Aug 18 - 9:35 PM

Users who are viewing this thread