What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ist year with a flex starter (1 Viewer)

da_budman

Footballguy
This is the first year our league has a flex starter and Im curious how that fact affects your drafting strategy?

We are not altering the number of rounds in the draft. Also to throw a monkey wrench into the conversation we draft a specific number of players at each position so saying, draft more rbs...wrs...tes is not an option.

I would thing that with an additional starter it de-vaules every other starter with respect to the final score so drafting a deep team (as opposed to either drafting most of your starting lineup THEN going for backups would be less optimal. Also seems like taking a backup rb is less of a good strategy since you need to start 1 extra player each week.

For informational purposes our draft is 18 rounds and we are starting 1qb 2rbs 3wrs 1 te 1k 1def 1 flex (rb,wr,te)

I added the last part for context and hope to keep this as a general discussion on the transition from non flex to flex leagues and how it affects drafting strategies, not a team specific question so it remains in the shark pool.

Is this PPR? If so, seems like WRs should get a major boost in importance. 3WR and a flex and PPR is overkill.

QBs will be devalued slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
'da_budman said:
'Rick James said:
Is this PPR? If so, seems like WRs should get a major boost in importance. 3WR and a flex and PPR is overkill.

QBs will be devalued slightly.
no non ppr and I agree qb's get devaluated slightly.
Nobody has advice in a first year flex starter draft and the changes/strategies I can expect?

what the guy said about the wr spot is true, but I think it hits rb harder --- rb's tend to get eaten up and thinned out by injury, so you should view your league as a start 3 rb roster, even if you don't actually do that.

personally, I'd try to take advantage of the untapped te pool, because I think an extra te might be getting you more scores than, like, the 37th wr, but definitely cultivate a deep rb corps.

In non-ppr you generally want to flex a RB. So the flex spot mostly increases RB value, especially for RBs who have a shot to be in the RB20-30 range in weekly "who to start" rankings. With bye weeks, injuries, and uncertainty, you should attach extra value to your 3rd, 4th, and even 5th RB.

Thanks guys. My thought was to try to get Running backs and wide receivers early all things being equal and let tight ends (which i think are really deep this year) and QB slide a bit. I think I will be targeting someone in the matt ryan/eli manning range (or Vick if he falls) so that I can concentrate on rb and wr studs.

In non-ppr you generally want to flex a RB. So the flex spot mostly increases RB value, especially for RBs who have a shot to be in the RB20-30 range in weekly "who to start" rankings. With bye weeks, injuries, and uncertainty, you should attach extra value to your 3rd, 4th, and even 5th RB.
with rrbc so prevalent these days seems like getting a decent one without overpaying might be a little difficult though. Seems like getting a 4th wr you can start weekly would be less costly leaving more early draft slots to make the rest of the tea, better. This league has been traditionally easy to find rb in though so it might work out if they dont adjust to the flex starter in the draft (which is why I started the thread).

with rrbc so prevalent these days seems like getting a decent one without overpaying might be a little difficult though. Seems like getting a 4th wr you can start weekly would be less costly leaving more early draft slots to make the rest of the tea, better. This league has been traditionally easy to find rb in though so it might work out if they dont adjust to the flex starter in the draft (which is why I started the thread).
the rbbc in non-ppr start 3 rb is just what makes the rb so scarce, which is why you don't want to end up getting burned on that.I think a lot of this kind of thing comes down to who you've got staked out as sleepers in later rounds, because maybe you think the late rounds are littered with one position or the other, so basically, like what that one guy said -- just try to draft who you think scores best.but definitely be alert to extra rb scarcity which might drive your market, and secondary te values that might score better than equivalent round wr/rb

Last year there were 34 RBs who had 8+ ppg (and played at least half the season), compared with only 30 WRs. Unless the rest of your league goes super RB-heavy, it will probably be easier to get that kind of scoring from your 3rd RB than from your 4th WR.

Last year there were 34 RBs who had 8+ ppg (and played at least half the season), compared with only 30 WRs. Unless the rest of your league goes super RB-heavy, it will probably be easier to get that kind of scoring from your 3rd RB than from your 4th WR.
that might be true, but how many of those rb were able to score as the result of injury to another guy, as opposed to other positions.rb constantly get knocked out and the next guy up can punch in a td, but until that guy actually gets hurt you're just guessing on which back up to draft.

that might be true, but how many of those rb were able to score as the result of injury to another guy, as opposed to other positions.rb constantly get knocked out and the next guy up can punch in a td, but until that guy actually gets hurt you're just guessing on which back up to draft.
There's some of that, but not a ton - I only count 5 of the 34 who were primarily injury replacements: Michael Bush, Tolbert, Murray, Tate, and Helu. The other 29 were starters or committee backs (including both Carolina RBs and all 3 Saints).There are also several RBs other than the 34 who were startable for several weeks, but either missed 9+ games with injuries or had a low ppg because they spent too many games as a backup: Best, Kevin Smith, Hightower, Spiller, Felix Jones, Donald Brown, Gerhart.

DaBUD, You're looking for TOP TIER Players that will give you SCORING ADVANTAGES. This is a no brainer but...

Try to get Difference Makers:

QBs....maybe there are 3. RODGERS/BRADY/BREES Vick/Newton/Stafford/

RB... Mayber there are 3-4 ADP/RICE/MCCOY/FOSTER

WR...Maybe there 4 CALVIN/ FITZ/JENNING/NICKS/

TE maybe 2. GRONK/GRAHAM Hernandez/Gates/VDavis

Grab the difference makers you think are top tier even if is doubling up on them at times at a position.

It keeps a difference maker off someone else's roster.

Obviously you want to round out a roster but

If there are only 1-2 TEs and you only start 1...it makes them pretty valuable.

Look for players with DUAL Positions.

Dexter McCluster RB/WR. This can be useful in leagues where he can play any position for BYE weeks. It's still dexter McCluster but you never know.

With NON PPR You'll also want to keep an eye on Red Zone target players and GL RBs.

Michael Bush comes to mind in CHI ...value shoots up if FORTE goes down.

I would read some of the QB/RB/WR by Committee articles. You'll want to brush up on good lower ranked tandems that have good strength of schedule and upside.

Users who are viewing this thread