What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drafting with guppies (1 Viewer)

Sweetness_34

Footballguy
You want a good headache....get into a guppies league and I guarantee you will not know what to do when it is your turn to draft. Tonight I had my draft with a league that I am in for many years now. It is friends from work and we have a great time....but the value that falls in these drafts and the mistakes that are made are hilarious. Here are some salient features of this draft which will help you get ready for such a draft:

- Someone drafted Matt Bryant - K, ATL in the 3rd round (3.01) thinking he was drafting Matt Ryan, QB Atl. And this is an online draft on yahoo so I am not sure how he went and searched for Matt bryant.

- Someone drafted Ryan Grant late

- The guy who drafted MJD at 1.12 did not get Jennings and I get him in the 16th round.

- This draft always has a run on QBs. So knowing that, I drafted Brees with 1.06 after the first 5 picks were top 3 RBs and Rodgers + Brady. Guess who goes 1.09 and 1.11 => Stafford and Cam Newton. Now it is a 6 pt/TD league but really?

- Brandon Marshall went 2.01 which is not all that bad.

- Mike Turner and Frank Gore went 3.5 and 3.9, before Charles, Ryan Matthews, Steven Jackson etc

- Greg Jennings went 2.4

One team (49 er homer) actually drafted as follows from 1.09:

Stafford => Greg Jennings => Frank Gore => San Fran D (yes in the 4th round) => Vernon Davis => Vincent Jackson => David Akers => Andrew Luck => Mike Tolbert => Mario Manningham => Gresham => Houston D => Laurent Robinson => Dexter McCluster => Burleson => Mike Nugent => Bernard Scott

I am still staring at her team on the screen completely perplexed at the incompetency of FF drafting. If this team above wins it all, I will never ever play FF again....I mean it.

Sorry I had to share this experience with some folks. While I am still in shock at the craziness that ensued at the draft, I landed up with the following team from 1.06. This is a 1 Qb, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 WR/RB, TE, D, K league:

QB: Brees (1.6)

RB: Forte (2.7); Isaac Redman (6.7), Kevin Smith (8.7), Ryan Williams (9.6), Benson (13.6), Rashad Jennings (16.7)

WR: Jordy Nelson (3.6), Demaryus Thomas (4.7), Kenny Britt (7.6), Amendola (10.7), Lance Moore (12.7)

TE: Antonio Gates (5.6), Jacon Tamme (11.6)

K: Gostowski (14.7)

D: Cincy (15.6), Minnesota (17.6)

You want a good headache....get into a guppies league and I guarantee you will not know what to do when it is your turn to draft. Tonight I had my draft with a league that I am in for many years now. It is friends from work and we have a great time....but the value that falls in these drafts and the mistakes that are made are hilarious. Here are some salient features of this draft which will help you get ready for such a draft:

- Someone drafted Matt Bryant - K, ATL in the 3rd round (3.01) thinking he was drafting Matt Ryan, QB Atl. And this is an online draft on yahoo so I am not sure how he went and searched for Matt bryant.

- The guy who drafted MJD at 1.12 did not get Jennings and I get him in the 16th round.

- This draft always has a run on QBs. So knowing that, I drafted Brees with 1.06 after the first 5 picks were top 3 RBs and Rodgers + Brady. Guess who goes 1.09 and 1.11 => Stafford and Cam Newton. Now it is a 6 pt/TD league but really?

- Mike Turner and Frank Gore went 3.5 and 3.9, before Charles, Ryan Matthews, Steven Jackson etc

- Greg Jennings went 2.4

Stafford => Greg Jennings => Frank Gore => San Fran D (yes in the 4th round) => Vernon Davis => Vincent Jackson => David Akers => Andrew Luck => Mike Tolbert => Mario Manningham => Gresham => Houston D => Laurent Robinson => Dexter McCluster => Burleson => Mike Nugent => Bernard Scott

I am still staring at her team on the screen completely perplexed at the incompetency of FF drafting. If this team above wins it all, I will never ever play FF again....I mean it.

Sorry I had to share this experience with some folks. While I am still in shock at the craziness that ensued at the draft, I landed up with the following team from 1.06. This is a 1 Qb, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 WR/RB, TE, D, K league:

RB: Forte (2.7); Isaac Redman (6.7), Kevin Smith (8.7), Ryan Williams (9.6), Benson (13.6), Rashad Jennings (16.7)

WR: Jordy Nelson (3.6), Demaryus Thomas (4.7), Kenny Britt (7.6), Amendola (10.7), Lance Moore (12.7)

No Comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

- Greg Jennings went 2.4

No Comment.
Gotta tell you man, I play in a very competitive, 12 team friends and family league that has 3 chicks in it. They work the wire, trade and talk smack with the best of them.

If you feel like you're above and beyond playing with females in 'fantasy' football - you're taking yourself way too serious.

Yep it happens. Had a draft the other week where 49er D went in round 5. Round 9, 7 kickers were drafted in a 10 team league, I mean really? This is called a so called "winners" league. I was more than happy to wait on kickers and D until my last few rounds. I didnt take D and cut my K straight after the draft to pick up guys to watch in pre-season. The guy who drafted AP in the 2nd didnt get Gerhart as I picked him up in the 2nd to last round.

Oh I had the 1st overall pick.

1. (1) Arian Foster RB

2. (20) Victor Cruz WR

3. (21) Greg Jennings WR

4. (40) Steven Jackson RB

5. (41) Antonio Gates TE

6. (60) Peyton Manning QB

7. (61) Stevie Johnson WR

8. (80) Isaac Redman RB

9. (81) Torrey Smith WR

10. (100) David Wilson RB

11. (101) Ben Tate RB

12. (120) Neil Rackers K

13. (121) Titus Young WR

14. (140) Toby Gerhart RB

15. (141) Danny Amendola WR

I snagged Kevin Smith off waivers too.

I guess the question that is on my mind is do you draft a QB like Brees early in drafts like these where you know 5 QBs will go in round 1 and players like Rivers and Cutler were going in round 5 and the guy who drafted Vick in round 6 took Matt Ryan in round 7 because he is worried Vick might get injured.....

What is the shark move? Take the stud QB since they all are going after QBs early or load up on another stud RB or WR?

THoughts?

if your not a guppy, then why did you draft gostowski ahead of r jennings?
Great question. I had my kids interrupt me right before my pick and my clock ran out leading to Yahoo auto picking the K.......also Yahoo has Jennings really low on their list (same thing for Kevin Smith who I had to search to draft) so I found after my Cincy pick that Jennings was still around

You want a good headache....get into a guppies league and I guarantee you will not know what to do when it is your turn to draft. Tonight I had my draft with a league that I am in for many years now. It is friends from work and we have a great time....but the value that falls in these drafts and the mistakes that are made are hilarious. Here are some salient features of this draft which will help you get ready for such a draft:- Someone drafted Matt Bryant - K, ATL in the 3rd round (3.01) thinking he was drafting Matt Ryan, QB Atl. And this is an online draft on yahoo so I am not sure how he went and searched for Matt bryant.- Someone drafted Ryan Grant late - The guy who drafted MJD at 1.12 did not get Jennings and I get him in the 16th round.- This draft always has a run on QBs. So knowing that, I drafted Brees with 1.06 after the first 5 picks were top 3 RBs and Rodgers + Brady. Guess who goes 1.09 and 1.11 => Stafford and Cam Newton. Now it is a 6 pt/TD league but really? - Brandon Marshall went 2.01 which is not all that bad. - Mike Turner and Frank Gore went 3.5 and 3.9, before Charles, Ryan Matthews, Steven Jackson etc- Greg Jennings went 2.4One team (49 er homer) actually drafted as follows from 1.09:Stafford => Greg Jennings => Frank Gore => San Fran D (yes in the 4th round) => Vernon Davis => Vincent Jackson => David Akers => Andrew Luck => Mike Tolbert => Mario Manningham => Gresham => Houston D => Laurent Robinson => Dexter McCluster => Burleson => Mike Nugent => Bernard ScottI am still staring at her team on the screen completely perplexed at the incompetency of FF drafting. If this team above wins it all, I will never ever play FF again....I mean it. Sorry I had to share this experience with some folks. While I am still in shock at the craziness that ensued at the draft, I landed up with the following team from 1.06. This is a 1 Qb, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 WR/RB, TE, D, K league:QB: Brees (1.6)RB: Forte (2.7); Isaac Redman (6.7), Kevin Smith (8.7), Ryan Williams (9.6), Benson (13.6), Rashad Jennings (16.7) WR: Jordy Nelson (3.6), Demaryus Thomas (4.7), Kenny Britt (7.6), Amendola (10.7), Lance Moore (12.7)TE: Antonio Gates (5.6), Jacon Tamme (11.6)K: Gostowski (14.7)D: Cincy (15.6), Minnesota (17.6)
OK well if they sucked that bad how can you explain your team? It's good but it sure could be alot better. You have a stud QB, a very good RB, 2 solid WR's a top 3 TE. Your second RB is iffy to say the least. Playing with a bunch of guppies you should have done better. You took a unproven but supposed stud WR in the 4rth. Your 6th round pick looks questionable. You took Britt too early considering. 3/7 picks could have been better. QB: Brees (1.6) RB: Forte (2.7); Isaac Redman (6.7), Kevin Smith (8.7), Ryan Williams (9.6), Benson (13.6), Rashad Jennings (16.7) WR: Jordy Nelson (3.6), Demaryus Thomas (4.7), Kenny Britt (7.6), Amendola (10.7), Lance Moore (12.7) TE: Antonio Gates (5.6), Jacon Tamme (11.6) K: Gostowski (14.7) D: Cincy (15.6), Minnesota (17.6)

If you drafted with so many guppies making bad picks, how the heck did you end up with Isaac Redman as your #2 RB????

Gotta tell you man, I play in a very competitive, 12 team friends and family league that has 3 chicks in it. They work the wire, trade and talk smack with the best of them.If you feel like you're above and beyond playing with females in 'fantasy' football - you're taking yourself way too serious.
I agree....my wife is very competitive, so she will spend nearly as much time as I do planning for fantasy football...and does better than a majority of the guys in our league.I do think the "guppy" is slowly being taken out of fantasy football. Any novice can go print a top 200 from a number of websites and just follow it to have a decent draft. Now there are always areas that a shark can take advantage of, but I am noticing an evening out of sharks and guppies in my leagues. It is much tougher to get the heads up on a guy like I did with the Welker's, Rodger's, and Foster's of the world when they bust on to the scene.

I don't care what any of these guys say, I for one think your team sucks. Hope you can flex that TE, Tamme might score more than your RB2 and WR3.

Ya I'm not sold on this team at all. Brees at 1.6 is really early. The only really good values I see you got were Forte and Jennings. You took Redman and Britt way too early (surely you looked into their situations first right?). Starting Redman weekly is rough, and Ryan Williams, Thomas, etc aren't really anything to get excited about. This should be a borderline playoff team. I'm assuming there's a couple awesome teams out there if the draft went like this.

'Sweetness_34 said:

- This draft always has a run on QBs. So knowing that, I drafted Brees with 1.06 after the first 5 picks were top 3 RBs and Rodgers + Brady. Guess who goes 1.09 and 1.11 => Stafford and Cam Newton. Now it is a 6 pt/TD league but really? - Brandon Marshall went 2.01 which is not all that bad.

- Greg Jennings went 2.4

Did they draft Stafford then Newton or Stafford then Jennings?

Some people just don't care enough to spend a bunch of time doing research, they just sign up to play and be included. Who is worse?... the person who plays just to have fun with their friends with little to no prep or the person who spends hours at a computer doing research and then making fun of the first person who didn't give a $#!t to begin with?

P.S. Your team stinks for a "guppie league" so I wouldn't be bragging too loud on the league message board just yet.

'Sweetness_34 said:
I guess the question that is on my mind is do you draft a QB like Brees early in drafts like these where you know 5 QBs will go in round 1 and players like Rivers and Cutler were going in round 5 and the guy who drafted Vick in round 6 took Matt Ryan in round 7 because he is worried Vick might get injured.....
So the league is really going to stick the guy with Matt Bryant in Round 3 instead of Matt Ryan who he really wanted? If this is indeed a "friendly" work league - that's a little harsh.

I think if there's anything we should all know by now, it's that we really have no idea what's about to happen.

Folks that spend a great deal of time preparing for the fantasy football season get a lot right, but even the best get an awful lot wrong.

Calling people guppies at all is a little silly. These leagues can often be very difficult to win. Because they aren't following the same dogma as you doesn't always make them wrong.

I suggest everyone do it. Playing with folks that don't follow fantasy as closely is a lot of fun and actually a nice challenge.

It used to be that "guppies" drafted QBs and TEs way too early. Glad to see the sharks finally caught up.

The mistakes that you think are so awful are defensible and not all that bad, really. As the above poster said, just because they don't think the same way that you do doesn't mean they are wrong. Your team, however, is below average no matter what type of league you're in, so I don't know if you are in a position to call other people guppies.

'Sweetness_34 said:
So the league is really going to stick the guy with Matt Bryant in Round 3 instead of Matt Ryan who he really wanted? If this is indeed a "friendly" work league - that's a little harsh.
I agree, that's brutal. I'm assuming its a yahoo league though (gross) since Forte's ranking is so low.... and I don't think the commissioner can reverse picks on yahoo leagues

I was in a simliar draft 2 days ago. 12 Team non-ppr. qb rb rb wr wr Te k d. There was a big kicker run in the 9th round to say the least.

QB: RG3 (7.2), Josh Freeman (10.11)

RB: Foster (1.2); Jamaal Charles (2.11), Darren Sproles (4.11), Peyton Hillis (6.11), Steven Ridley (9.2), Rashad Jennings (11.2)

WR: Julio Jones (3.2) Jordy Nelson (5.2), Malcom Floyd (8.11), Michael Crabtree (12.11)

TE: Jared Cook (13.2), Greg Olsen (14.11)

K:

D: Buffalo (15.2)

There should be an addition to the shark pool notes that reads something like this:

"Do NOT start threads calling other players Guppies in an attempt to get people to check out your team. 99% of the time your team is not as good as you think, and the pool will make quick work of your drafting ability and feelings. You have been warned"

:lol:

Happens EVERY year.

'Sweetness_34 said:
You want a good headache....get into a guppies league and I guarantee you will not know what to do when it is your turn to draft. Tonight I had my draft with a league that I am in for many years now. It is friends from work and we have a great time....but the value that falls in these drafts and the mistakes that are made are hilarious. Here are some salient features of this draft which will help you get ready for such a draft:- Someone drafted Matt Bryant - K, ATL in the 3rd round (3.01) thinking he was drafting Matt Ryan, QB Atl. And this is an online draft on yahoo so I am not sure how he went and searched for Matt bryant.- Someone drafted Ryan Grant late - The guy who drafted MJD at 1.12 did not get Jennings and I get him in the 16th round.- This draft always has a run on QBs. So knowing that, I drafted Brees with 1.06 after the first 5 picks were top 3 RBs and Rodgers + Brady. Guess who goes 1.09 and 1.11 => Stafford and Cam Newton. Now it is a 6 pt/TD league but really? - Brandon Marshall went 2.01 which is not all that bad. - Mike Turner and Frank Gore went 3.5 and 3.9, before Charles, Ryan Matthews, Steven Jackson etc- Greg Jennings went 2.4One team (49 er homer) actually drafted as follows from 1.09:Stafford => Greg Jennings => Frank Gore => San Fran D (yes in the 4th round) => Vernon Davis => Vincent Jackson => David Akers => Andrew Luck => Mike Tolbert => Mario Manningham => Gresham => Houston D => Laurent Robinson => Dexter McCluster => Burleson => Mike Nugent => Bernard ScottI am still staring at her team on the screen completely perplexed at the incompetency of FF drafting. If this team above wins it all, I will never ever play FF again....I mean it. Sorry I had to share this experience with some folks. While I am still in shock at the craziness that ensued at the draft, I landed up with the following team from 1.06. This is a 1 Qb, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 WR/RB, TE, D, K league:QB: Brees (1.6)RB: Forte (2.7); Isaac Redman (6.7), Kevin Smith (8.7), Ryan Williams (9.6), Benson (13.6), Rashad Jennings (16.7) WR: Jordy Nelson (3.6), Demaryus Thomas (4.7), Kenny Britt (7.6), Amendola (10.7), Lance Moore (12.7)TE: Antonio Gates (5.6), Jacon Tamme (11.6)K: Gostowski (14.7)D: Cincy (15.6), Minnesota (17.6)
Having read some threads similar to this through the years, as I'm sure you have, you have to know that your drafted team has to be air-tight or you're opening yourself up to a lot of criticism. Your team is lacking, especially considering you were picking from the 6th spot. Hey, it happens- we all overstate our greatness from time to time. That leads me to my point- I am in a league that I had to wait to get into some years back, and after getting a year under my belt in the league following a third place finish, I thought I knew better than most drafting. People had their magazines out on draft day and were obviously cracking them open for the first time during the draft. I scoffed at most picks, shaking my head and thinking I had steal after steal. Guys taking QB's in the first round before it was semi-fashionable and normal, as it is now. I still haven't won that league after 6 years. Sometimes, people either luck into a good team, or implement a strategy different from yours and the "experts". So to the OP, just let it play out, and get off your high-horse, fantasy football has a way of biting you in the rear, and making you look like a guppy yourself.

Drafting Redman and not getting Mendenhall later and/or drafting Kevin Smith and then not getting Leshore in the 10th or 11th round is not smart-

There should be an addition to the shark pool notes that reads something like this:"Do NOT start threads calling other players Guppies in an attempt to get people to check out your team. 99% of the time your team is not as good as you think, and the pool will make quick work of your drafting ability and feelings. You have been warned":lol:Happens EVERY year.
:goodposting: Happens every year. I just wish one of them would post back at the end of the year saying "see..i won the SB..I told ya", but most of the don't even make the playoffs.

'Sweetness_34 said:
This draft always has a run on QBs. So knowing that, I drafted Brees with 1.06 after the first 5 picks were top 3 RBs and Rodgers + Brady. Guess who goes 1.09 and 1.11 => Stafford and Cam Newton. Now it is a 6 pt/TD league but really?
Also, I'm not getting what is so strange about this in league with a bunch of QB whores.

'HurryUpSundays said:
'Deamon said:
'Sweetness_34 said:

- Greg Jennings went 2.4

No Comment.
Gotta tell you man, I play in a very competitive, 12 team friends and family league that has 3 chicks in it. They work the wire, trade and talk smack with the best of them.

If you feel like you're above and beyond playing with females in 'fantasy' football - you're taking yourself way too serious.
Maybe he knows no females capable of playing fantasy football, or even ones that like football, cause I cant name one either. I play poker with a few women, they are just ATMs.

'Sweetness_34 said:
This draft always has a run on QBs. So knowing that, I drafted Brees with 1.06 after the first 5 picks were top 3 RBs and Rodgers + Brady. Guess who goes 1.09 and 1.11 => Stafford and Cam Newton. Now it is a 6 pt/TD league but really?
Also, I'm not getting what is so strange about this in league with a bunch of QB whores.
And isnt the shark move to draft the LAST QB at the end of the run instead of the first QB?

I guess this didn't go as well as you planned, huh?

I still can't figure out why Brees at 1.6 is a good pick, but Stafford at 1.9 is bad.

'Sweetness_34 said:
if youre drafting with guppies, than whats your excuse for your team sucking?

Users who are viewing this thread