What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CB vs. SS question... (1 Viewer)

Romofan

Footballguy
I routinely see that it is advised to grab a Safety over a CB but I am a little confused as FBG has my CB's ranked higher than some SS's. Can anyone share some light? I have Tramon Williams and DeAngelo Hall as my 2 DB's and they are ranked higher than safeties like Morgan Burnett (who is available) and Bernard Pollard, Kam Chancellor, etc... Wondering if it is because of my leagues scoring system (reduced emphasis on tackles)

Tackle Solo 0.5

Tackle Assist 0.25

Sack 4

Interception 6

Fumble Force 3

Fumble Recovery 4

Defensive TD 6

Safety 2

Pass Defended 2

Block Kick 3

Tackle for Loss 1

Can anyone help me out here? I would appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's a very stingy system for tackles which hurts SS and LB relative to all positions (including CB). It's hard for me to imagine a scoring system where Chancellor should be a FA though. If you look at the top scorers in your scoring system last year, how do the CB's stack up to the SS?

Unsolicited opinion... if you're only carrying 2 DBs and only giving 0.5 per tackle, I'm guessing IDP's will have very little value in general compared to offensive players.

Here were last years top 20 scoring players at the DB position for reference:

Charles Woodson (GB - S,CB) 135.50

Charles Tillman (Chi - CB) 128.25

Brandon Browner (Sea - CB) 121.25

Lardarius Webb (Bal - CB) 120.25

Kyle Arrington (NE - CB) 111.50

Eric Weddle (SD - S) 109.50

Tramon Williams (GB - CB)109.25

Kam Chancellor (Sea - S)108.00

Reggie Nelson (Cin - S)108.00

Jairus Byrd Buf - S) 105.25

Morgan Burnett (GB - S)105.00

Roman Harper (NO - S)104.00

Jason McCourty (Ten - CB)103.50

Charlie Peprah (GB - S)101.75

Carlos Rogers (SF - CB) 101.25

Patrick Peterson (Ari - CB)100.65

Troy Polamalu (Pit - S) 99.75

Darian Stewart (StL - S)98.75

Brandon Flowers (KC - CB)98.50

DeAngelo Hall (Was - CB)96.75

That pretty much answers your question then. Most leagues are much more heavily SS at the top. Anyway, I would still look at Chancellor over Hall.

In general though, I wouldn't be afriad to go CBs in this system. Mediocre CBs rise up constantly and put up good numbers then disappear, but you're talking about only the top 10 or 15 in the entire NFL here. These are going to be your elite players. The heavy variance at CB usually takes place in the tier right below all of these guys.

Just my 2 cents.

That pretty much answers your question then. Most leagues are much more heavily SS at the top. Anyway, I would still look at Chancellor over Hall.In general though, I wouldn't be afriad to go CBs in this system. Mediocre CBs rise up constantly and put up good numbers then disappear, but you're talking about only the top 10 or 15 in the entire NFL here. These are going to be your elite players. The heavy variance at CB usually takes place in the tier right below all of these guys.Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the reply cheese. Kam is taken (sorry I didn't mean to say he was available) ...just was weird that he was ranked lower than Hall when this scoring was entered into FBG. Kam was ranked 18th and Hall 4th....

That pretty much answers your question then. Most leagues are much more heavily SS at the top. Anyway, I would still look at Chancellor over Hall.In general though, I wouldn't be afriad to go CBs in this system. Mediocre CBs rise up constantly and put up good numbers then disappear, but you're talking about only the top 10 or 15 in the entire NFL here. These are going to be your elite players. The heavy variance at CB usually takes place in the tier right below all of these guys.Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the reply cheese. Kam is taken (sorry I didn't mean to say he was available) ...just was weird that he was ranked lower than Hall when this scoring was entered into FBG. Kam was ranked 18th and Hall 4th....
Not sure if you're a subscriber or not, but if you click on the "My FBG" spot in the upper right hand corner of the main page it'll take you to a spot where you can enter in a basic scoring system for your league and then save it. It'll then list the players a bit better for your scoring. You can add players you're targeting and it'll highlight them for you on the list, as well. If you don't have that option then I'd print out one of the free rankings they have and then go through and move up guys who have big play potential (sacks, ints, etc) and move down guys who are ranked high more for tackles and assists. Like "cheese" already said - you're going to have more choices at CB (Passes defensed at "2" helps, as well).It might take a little work but it'll be worth it when you have a leg up on your league mates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread