What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Sam Bradford - QB (2 Viewers)

voiceofunreason

Footballguy
I admit it, I really liked this guy. I'm starting to hear all these David Carr excuses. But lets be serious, when has a good established qb ever took a beating and turned into a bad qb? Maybe Carr never was very good. Maybe Bradford looks good in shorts, in no-contact, no-pressure situations. I've seen enough--he officially stinks. I said it shortly after they traded the #2 to Washington, as much as they got they should have kept the pick and shipped Bradford. I'd say we have an heir to Jeff George but that is insulting to George. At least he could make the odd throw down field. Bradford doesn't even try to throw beyond 10 yards. Sure the team sucks but show some sign of life. Make a play once in a while, do something. I give it 3 weeks before the fans starting turning on him and I'm confident they will be deciding to draft a qb next summer or give Bradford another year. Because it's ultra-conservate Jeff "don't call me Marty Schottenheimer" Fisher, they'll hang onto him and just try to run the ball more. Sorry Rams fans, the future looks as bad as the past.The defense looks like it can be good though so I guess that is something.

Last edited by a moderator:
has the Big XII ever produced a franchise QB? I can't think of one. The offenses are so gimmicky and the defenses in that conference tend to be pretty bad.

Interesting. Never though about comparing him to the cowardly David Carr. Bradford has slightly better to better stats thru 26 games. He gets this year to prove himself. I still think McDoosh was the #1 problem for Bradford.

I admit it, I really liked this guy. I'm starting to hear all these David Carr excuses. But lets be serious, when has a good established qb ever took a beating and turned into a bad qb? Maybe Carr never was very good.
It can happen. If a quality prospect gets thrown to the dogs too early or takes a beating early in their career, they get their confidence crushed. To succeed you first have to believe you can succeed. If you get crushed early in your career you can lose belief in yourself and failure is sure to follow. It's impossible to know for sure why Carr failed because we can't read brains, but a psychological explanation is plausible. I think the same could possibly apply to Patrick Ramsey's or Tim Couch's failure.That's part of the reason why teams used to hold QBs back a couple of seasons to apprentice under the starting QB. That's less practical where today's high picks get paid big bucks.

I don't get it.

Bradford was very good as a rookie on a terrible team. Then had a poor year while recovering from an injury, on an even worse team, with pinheaded coaching.

I think maybe give him a chance with at least a mediocre club and a decent coach before you run him out on a rail. I think people will be coming around on the Rams in a big way by the end of this year, even though they're still only a so-so team in terms of talent, and I think Bradford will be regarded as a big part of the reason why.

has the Big XII ever produced a franchise QB? I can't think of one. The offenses are so gimmicky and the defenses in that conference tend to be pretty bad.
Bobby Layne, Hall of Famer (Texas). Players are individuals; the fact that Bobby Layne was successful has no bearing on whether Vince Young will be successful, just like the fact that Vince Young hasn't been successful has no bearing on whether Sam Bradford will be.

Bobby Layne, Hall of Famer (Texas). Players are individuals; the fact that Bobby Layne was successful has no bearing on whether Vince Young will be successful, just like the fact that Vince Young hasn't been successful has no bearing on whether Sam Bradford will be.
I assumed he meant since it became the Big 12...what, '96?...

Bradford has a boatload of issues and challenges but the biggest problems are these...

1. He costs a fortune. The Rams could go 4-12 this year with a little effort and probably be close to having a top3-5 pick and could draft another QB for 1/3 of the cost of Bradford. Unfortunately/fortunately there is incentive but eh NFL to go and draft QBs early now. The money is not tied up for long, $30M to find out if a guy can turn your franchise around sounds like a bargain to most owners compared to before. I think Miami is going to have a very hard time passing on Barkley in the draft. Why shouldn't they draft that guy and let him learn for a year behind Tannehill and then turn the pair losse the next season in training camp and figure out which one is truly the franchise guy?

2. Fisher did not draft him. Nothing that would require Fisher to be loyal.

3. Fisher did a poor job of getting him more talent. Bradford needs weapons, year 3, where are the weapons? He's being wasted in some sense.

You add this up and I think I have a thread I might need to bump. It just doesn't look good right now. I feel like I was duped his rookie year and had to back track a bit.

I agre.. They should have kept the pick for RGIII and dealt Bradford...just from a financial point of view. that bradford contract was massive.

Bradford has a boatload of issues and challenges but the biggest problems are these...

1. He costs a fortune. The Rams could go 4-12 this year with a little effort and probably be close to having a top3-5 pick and could draft another QB for 1/3 of the cost of Bradford. Unfortunately/fortunately there is incentive but eh NFL to go and draft QBs early now. The money is not tied up for long, $30M to find out if a guy can turn your franchise around sounds like a bargain to most owners compared to before. I think Miami is going to have a very hard time passing on Barkley in the draft. Why shouldn't they draft that guy and let him learn for a year behind Tannehill and then turn the pair losse the next season in training camp and figure out which one is truly the franchise guy?

2. Fisher did not draft him. Nothing that would require Fisher to be loyal.

3. Fisher did a poor job of getting him more talent. Bradford needs weapons, year 3, where are the weapons? He's being wasted in some sense.

You add this up and I think I have a thread I might need to bump. It just doesn't look good right now. I feel like I was duped his rookie year and had to back track a bit.
He got Zuerlein. :doh:

I like the guy and still have hopes for him.

But... saw an interview with him recently and while he wasn't hiding under a rock, he sure wasn't exuding confidence in any way. Even though he didn't say it directly, you can tell the injuries, bad OL, and having no WRs has him shellshocked of sorts.

they already believe that he'll need ankle surgery after the season... downgrade all STL players as I doubt Bradford goes more than four games before injuring his ankle to the point where he has to sitout

I still think he has upside...great rookie season can't be overlooked.

He was throwing to Pop Warner players last year.

they already believe that he'll need ankle surgery after the season... downgrade all STL players as I doubt Bradford goes more than four games before injuring his ankle to the point where he has to sitout
Is there a link for that? I'd definitely reevaluate in this case.

Too early to say. Also, the Rams would have found it difficult to trade him due to his massive contract.

That being said, if I was Fisher, I would have traded him for whatever I could, and scopped up RG3. Trust me, their decision not to do that will come back to bite them all if Bradford stinks.

He's not the problem; he has had a historically poor OL and skill players around him so far. Unless Quick blows up, that doesn't look to change this season.

He's also not as good as folks thought his rookie season. All he seemed to do was checkdown all day. It will be fun to see him develop--or not--this year.

Ahh, the Kurt Warner, Kevin Slaten listening trolls are ready to ship Bradford out of town.

Anybody who thinks this kid sucks need to look at his rookie stats up against the rookie seasons of Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, Big Ben, and just about anybody else's. His surrounding cast was horrendous and he raised the game of everyone around him if he can be kept upright and healthy.

Put down the pipe and step away. That knee jerk might kill somebody or at least dislocate your knee...

He's not the problem; he has had a historically poor OL and skill players around him so far. Unless Quick blows up, that doesn't look to change this season.He's also not as good as folks thought his rookie season. All he seemed to do was checkdown all day. It will be fun to see him develop--or not--this year.
This. Bradford is neither as bad as people think now nor as good as people thought his rookie year. Talk about overreactions.... His rookie year he was protected by the play calling and scheme, despite the personnel around him. Last year they didn't protect him as much, largely because they couldn't with the team being much worse.This is an interesting season for him. I'd like to see him develope and take steps forward. He looked very bad at time last year because he was unsettled in the pocket and seemed to loose pocket awareness. I suppose he lost faith in the Oline.

I think a lot of the comments on this thread sound very uneducated.

Fact: Sam Bradford has NEVER had an elite wr or playmaker

Fact: Sam Bradford has played behind a bottom 5 oline both of his first 2 years

Fact: Sam Bradford is on his 3rd new offensive coordinator in 3 years

Fact: Sam Bradford was injured (whether he missed the game or not) for 14 out of 16 games last year

And Fact: When calling him a bust remember he got the worse team in football over a 3 yr span 1 game away from the playoffs while winning the rookie of the year.

I hate to see what you all would say about Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith.

I am not saying Bradford is worth his contract but I wouldn't at all call him a bust.

As a rams fan I wouldn't definetly take trade we got from Washington and as for the post about the Rams not acquiring talent are you serious????????

Pead, Quick and Givens on the offensive side and Brockers, Jenkins and Truman Johnson on the defensive side.

Plus he brought over Finnegan from Tenn and got Steve Smith to upgrade the wr corp.

That's a lot of young talent. I thought they knocked it out of the park in the offseason and the draft (and don't forget we have the skins #1 the next 2 years)

The rams are definetly on the right path. Maybe not for this year but we will be a team in the playoff hunt next year and beyond.

And you can't blame the front office that there wasn't a blue chip wr coming out this last year. Blackmon might be okay but he isn't aj green or Julio or fitz or Calvin. The front office saw what they needed to, dropped back and loaded up for the future when hopefully that guy is there.

And for the record the rams front office had Quick rated over Michael Floyd.

Layne never played in the Big XII. Didn't operate out of a spread offense. etc...And I agree that players are individuals. However, the Big XII has been around long enough, has been a superpower long enough, and has produced a number of early round QBs yet has never produced that bona fide franchise QB. I do think that the gimmicky/video game style play in the Big XII sets its QB prospects behind. Great & innovative college systems and great systems to inflate passing numbers (especially against teams that consistently don't field quality defenses). However, none of them have translated to franchise QBs.Bradford played in a gimmick system in college and hasn't had the opportunity to play in & master 1 pro system. And his WRs have been pretty bad. And his OL has been bad. And he's been hurt. It's a combination of everything, but I do think playing in a spread at Oklahoma slowed his transition to the NFL.ETA: I actually think RG3 has a chance to be the 1st franchise QB out of the Big XII. Natural athlete, very gifted & accurate passer, and he's working with an entrenched coach who knows how to groom a QB.

Bradford should have never played in the Championship. Texas beat them on Neutral Ground. Colt McCoy would have destroyed Florida. He is a better Quarterback than Tebow, Bradford, and Weeden. He had to fight for his roster spot at Texas and he will in Cle. I fully expect him to start by the end of the season unless he gets traded.

I don't get it.Bradford was very good as a rookie on a terrible team. Then had a poor year while recovering from an injury, on an even worse team, with pinheaded coaching.I think maybe give him a chance with at least a mediocre club and a decent coach before you run him out on a rail. I think people will be coming around on the Rams in a big way by the end of this year, even though they're still only a so-so team in terms of talent, and I think Bradford will be regarded as a big part of the reason why.
This is his third year and I've yet to see him play anything remotely close to a good game. He's even stunk in preseason. Yeah the team is bad. So maybe he should be a below average qb. The fact is he has looked like the worst second only to Gabbert.I'm not sure I buy this thing about guy's confidence getting hurt and they never come back. Many guys simply don't have it to ever be good. Just because Aaron Rodgers turned out well doesn't mean he wouldn't have if he started from day 1.

I have always thought that Bradford was ken Dorsey with a first round arm. He is stellar when he has time to survey the field and pass the ball. But he isn't so good behind a bad line. The easy retort is "who is?" but their are lots of productive qbs behind bad lines like cutler and mobile guys.

For Bradford to succeed he needs time and lots of it. 3 and 5 step drops and quick short passes are great, but that only masks their problems and marginaliZes his talent.

I suspect the rams will be very active the next two years in developing the line. His contract makes him untradeable and he isn't without talent. Dumping him because he can't scramble is a poor solution. The Jason smith pick really ha set the whole team back. I imagine the rams will spend a truckload on linemen this next year.

Ahh, the Kurt Warner, Kevin Slaten listening trolls are ready to ship Bradford out of town.Anybody who thinks this kid sucks need to look at his rookie stats up against the rookie seasons of Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, Big Ben, and just about anybody else's. His surrounding cast was horrendous and he raised the game of everyone around him if he can be kept upright and healthy. Put down the pipe and step away. That knee jerk might kill somebody or at least dislocate your knee...
All he ever does is check down, every play. He does not ever even try to throw downfield. I don't care who he's playing with, they are still NFL players. Also, McDaniels could get some decent games out of Orton who also had next to no talent around him, Cassel looked great with him and some Brady guy was okay. All I ever hear is one excuse after another. The guy is awful. I don't expect the guy to be great on that team. I expect him to at least perform at the level of Ryan Fitzpatrick, to make a couple of great throws per game, to lead a 4th quarter drive one time. In his third year, it's time to expect him to be able to play well in preseason at least. He is, in fact, Kevin Kolb and Matt Leinhart's lovechild. It's gonna be painful because Fisher will stick with him forever. People love him because he plays good in practice and he's got all the skills. Doesn't matter if you can't get it done in the games. He isn't the first bust and won't be the last. Put down the koolaid. He may yet be a Mark Sanchez type player or Alex Smith but that's about it imo. I sold him cheap this summer and I'm very glad I did.

I keep hearing about his great rookie season but was it really that great? I seem to remember it being a product of a massive number of attempts...

Brian Quick...Steve Smith...Isaiah Pead...Chris Givens...You know they only get 7 draft picks a year right? Rams spent like 5 of them on offense and that's with wheeling and dealing and upgrading a horrible defense, which does help relieve the pressure on a QB that must always play catch up. Plus, rookies usually don't take the league by storm right away...not everyone is Randy Moss. There also weren't that many great young WRs that could develop with Bradford available in the free agent market.

Let's be fair here. Rogers or Brady would get shell-shocked working behind what is universally considered the worst line in football, add in in a WR corps that rivals some teams practice squad and you have a recipe for wasted talent.

As a life long Rams fan I am as excited as anyone that Fisher came aboard and while he's had a TON of holes to fill it's almost criminal how he has done almost nothing to support Bradford. Scott Wells will hopefully be a nice pick up but the rest of the line is garbage and how they didn't address WR's in the FA market is beyond me. I like the defensive moves but Bradford is the future (or a least near future) and your best shot at building a contending team in the coming 2-3 years. A strong defense does you nothing if you can't score.

There is no doubt this is a make or break year for Sam. If he spends the entire year running for his life trying to find WR's that can't gain separation instead of re-building that confidence he's so clearly lost he's done for. And unfortunately it won't be the first time the Rams have wrecked what could have been a franchise QB. Marc Bulger anyone?......

In his third year, it's time to expect him to be able to play well in preseason at least.
If this thread was sparked by a preseason game, it's probably time to take a step back and get some perspective. It's the time of year when coaches get to test things out against live opponents. He looked stellar against the Chiefs and ho-hum against the Colts and Cowboys. I'd rather wait for the regular season.As for the proposal that all he does is check down, that was indeed the case in Pat Shurmur's dink-and-dunk offense in 2010, but I'm not sure how you could say that about Bradford in 2011, when he went downfield regularly. Look up some of the games.He's far from a perfect player at this point, but I'm not sure I get the timing of this thread.

In his third year, it's time to expect him to be able to play well in preseason at least.
If this thread was sparked by a preseason game, it's probably time to take a step back and get some perspective. It's the time of year when coaches get to test things out against live opponents. He looked stellar against the Chiefs and ho-hum against the Colts and Cowboys. I'd rather wait for the regular season.As for the proposal that all he does is check down, that was indeed the case in Pat Shurmur's dink-and-dunk offense in 2010, but I'm not sure how you could say that about Bradford in 2011, when he went downfield regularly. Look up some of the games.He's far from a perfect player at this point, but I'm not sure I get the timing of this thread.
He did throw own field a lot more last yer and IMO it showed. Lot of his weaknesses or need for development. He constantly threw into coverge blindly and forced passes that weren't there. NHL looked scared in the pocket on deeper drop, drops he never id in college out of the spread. Quite frankly I thought he looked likes fish out of water on many of those plays and no, the Oline wasn't to blame for all of it. When he is comfortable and in rhythm he is very accurate, but I agree with those saying he needs a strong supporting cast more than most other starting QBs. At least right now he does. I'm looking forward to this season for him. I was a bit of a detractor of his coming out of college but I've seen things about him I like over the past 2 years so I'm not ready to write him off just yet.

I keep hearing about his great rookie season but was it really that great? I seem to remember it being a product of a massive number of attempts...
Yup, a ton of dink passes. His 6.0/att was 2nd to worst among qualifying passers. It got romanticized because they were still in a playoff battle at the end (with a losing record).

Bradford should have never played in the Championship. Texas beat them on Neutral Ground. Colt McCoy would have destroyed Florida. He is a better Quarterback than Tebow, Bradford, and Weeden. He had to fight for his roster spot at Texas and he will in Cle. I fully expect him to start by the end of the season unless he gets traded.
Colt McCoy will never start another NFL game unless the QB in front of him gets injured. Bank on it.

Interesting. Never though about comparing him to the cowardly David Carr. Bradford has slightly better to better stats thru 26 games. He gets this year to prove himself. I still think McDoosh was the #1 problem for Bradford.
Very weird to read you be anything but super negative about a player.

I have always thought that Bradford was ken Dorsey with a first round arm. He is stellar when he has time to survey the field and pass the ball. But he isn't so good behind a bad line. The easy retort is "who is?" but their are lots of productive qbs behind bad lines like cutler and mobile guys.For Bradford to succeed he needs time and lots of it. 3 and 5 step drops and quick short passes are great, but that only masks their problems and marginaliZes his talent. I suspect the rams will be very active the next two years in developing the line. His contract makes him untradeable and he isn't without talent. Dumping him because he can't scramble is a poor solution. The Jason smith pick really ha set the whole team back. I imagine the rams will spend a truckload on linemen this next year.
They've had a ton of bad picks that have set them back. I think Incogneto was their best OL (minus all the personal fouls, I'll miss him) and he was Mr Irrelevant, iirc. They're not going to have the same turnaround as the Niners because Fisher doesn't have anywhere NEAR the talent that Harbaugh had when he took over. But they really should go up steadily as long as the GM doesn't get in Fisher's way. It'll be nice to continue to be the dominant force in the division with the competition elevated and my Hawks will still keep the win streaks against the Rams going. But the games will be more entertaining.

Layne never played in the Big XII. Didn't operate out of a spread offense. etc...And I agree that players are individuals. However, the Big XII has been around long enough, has been a superpower long enough, and has produced a number of early round QBs yet has never produced that bona fide franchise QB. I do think that the gimmicky/video game style play in the Big XII sets its QB prospects behind. Great & innovative college systems and great systems to inflate passing numbers (especially against teams that consistently don't field quality defenses). However, none of them have translated to franchise QBs.Bradford played in a gimmick system in college and hasn't had the opportunity to play in & master 1 pro system. And his WRs have been pretty bad. And his OL has been bad. And he's been hurt. It's a combination of everything, but I do think playing in a spread at Oklahoma slowed his transition to the NFL.ETA: I actually think RG3 has a chance to be the 1st franchise QB out of the Big XII. Natural athlete, very gifted & accurate passer, and he's working with an entrenched coach who knows how to groom a QB.
Interesting that there has not been a notable Big 12 QB in the NFL. Of the five former Big 12 QBs who will open 2012 as starters (RGIII, Bradford, Weeden, Freeman, Gabbert), RGIII and Bradford each have a chance to be special, IMO. I am not ready to write off Bradford . . . yet. The talent at receiver has been lacking, and the pass protection needs to improve.

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
'th3f00l said:
Colt McCoy will never start another NFL game unless the QB in front of him gets injured. Bank on it.
What does that have to do with a Sam Bradford thread? And at what point did McCoy fight for a roster spot at Texas? Snead bowed out after a year, leaving McCoy the job without competition.

'Jewell said:
'voiceofunreason said:
I admit it, I really liked this guy. I'm starting to hear all these David Carr excuses. But lets be serious, when has a good established qb ever took a beating and turned into a bad qb? Maybe Carr never was very good.
It can happen. If a quality prospect gets thrown to the dogs too early or takes a beating early in their career, they get their confidence crushed. To succeed you first have to believe you can succeed. If you get crushed early in your career you can lose belief in yourself and failure is sure to follow. It's impossible to know for sure why Carr failed because we can't read brains, but a psychological explanation is plausible. I think the same could possibly apply to Patrick Ramsey's or Tim Couch's failure.That's part of the reason why teams used to hold QBs back a couple of seasons to apprentice under the starting QB. That's less practical where today's high picks get paid big bucks.
I wish coaches would learn from Bill Walsh. He brought Joe Montana into the league by building his confidence. Joe would get into games only when the ball was deep in the other team's territory. When Joe was splitting starts with DeBerg, Joe got all of the easy defense assignments.

'mad sweeney said:
'Abraham said:
I have always thought that Bradford was ken Dorsey with a first round arm. He is stellar when he has time to survey the field and pass the ball. But he isn't so good behind a bad line. The easy retort is "who is?" but their are lots of productive qbs behind bad lines like cutler and mobile guys.For Bradford to succeed he needs time and lots of it. 3 and 5 step drops and quick short passes are great, but that only masks their problems and marginaliZes his talent. I suspect the rams will be very active the next two years in developing the line. His contract makes him untradeable and he isn't without talent. Dumping him because he can't scramble is a poor solution. The Jason smith pick really ha set the whole team back. I imagine the rams will spend a truckload on linemen this next year.
They've had a ton of bad picks that have set them back. I think Incogneto was their best OL (minus all the personal fouls, I'll miss him) and he was Mr Irrelevant, iirc. They're not going to have the same turnaround as the Niners because Fisher doesn't have anywhere NEAR the talent that Harbaugh had when he took over. But they really should go up steadily as long as the GM doesn't get in Fisher's way. It'll be nice to continue to be the dominant force in the division with the competition elevated and my Hawks will still keep the win streaks against the Rams going. But the games will be more entertaining.
Incognito was a 4th rounder coming out of Nebraska. He should have been a first rounder but he was injured and missed a year and a half of football between his senior year and the moment he was cleared to resume play,

Brian Quick...Steve Smith...Isaiah Pead...Chris Givens...A project WR who nobody thought could start (including Fisher) for a year, a RB who they already were set at and a 6th round WR? Smith was a lways a longshot to make the team and when he was signed they said he'll have to prove his health and speed. That doesn't sound like a huge attempt to HELP the guy.

Bradford hasn't had a lot of help, aside from a stud RB in S Jackson, but the problem with him now appears to be he seems afraid of throwing into tight coverage. I noticed it in the preseason game against the Colts, how a WR would be covered 10 years down field on one of the sidelines, and he would totally overthrow them. You could say it was an errant throw, but he strikes me as a QB who hasn't figured out yet that guys in the NFL aren't gonna be open like guys in college were; you have to fit those tight spirals into tight coverage sometimes, and Bradford seems to struggle in that regard right now. Hopefully, he can turn it around this year, but I don't know...

Brian Quick...Steve Smith...Isaiah Pead...Chris Givens...A project WR who nobody thought could start (including Fisher) for a year, a RB who they already were set at and a 6th round WR? Smith was a lways a longshot to make the team and when he was signed they said he'll have to prove his health and speed. That doesn't sound like a huge attempt to HELP the guy.
Pretty much wrong on all 4 counts.Fisher drafted Quick knowing that he was a bit of a project, but has always said he expects him to be part of the offense from the get go.Pead, who I am personally lukewarm on, absolutely fills a need. Jackson is certainly on the downside of his career, the Rams needed a RB to groom as his replacement in a couple of years. On top of that, they had no capable backup RB at all, so Pead hopefully fills that role as well.Steve Smith was always a flyer, but a good stopgap if he was healthy (he is). He is a capable NFL WR with good hands... something the Rams did not have last year at all.Givens was not a 6th round pick, he was picked at 4.01... and that was considered late for him, he was thought of as a 2nd/3rd round guy. I am actually glad they did not take Blackmon or Floyd at pick 6, they are not THAT talented. I would have preferred Reuben Randle or Alshon Jeffrey in the 2nd, and I would have preferred Cordy Glenn to bolster the Oline (though Janoris Jenkins looks very good so far)... that was my biggest problem with the Rams' draft, there were valuable Olinemen that had fallen at several of their picks that they passed on. I am quite sure Jeff Fisher is not on the 1 year turnaround plan, he is building to compete next year and beyond. Their weapons are absolutely better than what they had last year, it is about impossible for them to not be. Lets see how the young guys develop before we write then off.

Users who are viewing this thread