What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Sam Bradford - QB (1 Viewer)

If they inducted players in the HOF for pre-season, Bradford would be a 1st ballot.
Yeah, bummer for you that the Rams gave up on him. Last I checked, QBs throw with their arms, not their knees though. If he stays healthy, St. Louis fans are going to hate life. He has a cannon for an arm. Now with a good scheme and great weapons, he could explode.

Thankfully all my drafts are done and got him cheap.

He's a lock for top 10 qb if he stays healthy, and just cuff him late with Sanchez for a cheap guaranteed top FF qb

If they inducted players in the HOF for pre-season, Bradford would be a 1st ballot.
Yeah, bummer for you that the Rams gave up on him.
To be fair to the Rams, how many chances and how many tens of millions of dollars should they have kept giving Bradford before moving on? In your opinion, how much would have finally been too much?
Well considering he hurt his knee and not his arm, at least enough of a chance to see what he could do over a full season. It sucks, but he was a #1 overall talent. Their impatience appears to be the Eagles gain. What exactly did Bradford do wrong? He was unlucky. But his arm and talent were never in question.

To be fair to the Rams, how many chances and how many tens of millions of dollars should they have kept giving Bradford before moving on? In your opinion, how much would have finally been too much?
Well considering he hurt his knee and not his arm, at least enough of a chance to see what he could do over a full season. It sucks, but he was a #1 overall talent. Their impatience appears to be the Eagles gain. What exactly did Bradford do wrong? He was unlucky. But his arm and talent were never in question.
So one more season? Let's say Bradford stayed with the Rams and did something novel - played every game this season. And let's say he managed some better than average numbers. What happens next season? Give him another huge guaranteed contract? After 'proving it' for only a single season? I think that was a big part of the dilemma - even if Bradford survives this season, do you really want to hitch your wagon and budget to him for another 5+ years?

Last edited by a moderator:
So one more season? Let's say Bradford stayed with the Rams and did something novel - played every game this season. And let's say he managed some better than average numbers. What happens next season? Give him another huge guaranteed contract? After 'proving it' for only a single season? I think that was a big part of the dilemma - even if Bradford survives this season, do you really want to hitch your wagon and budget to him for another 5+ years?
Realistically, they "hitched their wagon" to him when they picked him #1. Especially if he had a good season, yes, I would have def offered him a long term contract if I were in their shoes.

Just like the Eagles have been talking about doing BEFORE he has even played a game.

Great QB talents are rare. This is not an arm problem, and he is not a running QB.

I think Chip Kelly is going to look awfully smart (again) after this season. Bradford is a difference maker. You take your chances in a violent game like the NFL. Everyone is just one play away from being done. Bradford was unlucky. As were the Rams - they were put in a tough situation. But from where I sit, they did not follow through on their convictions. And so now their QB is Nick Foles. We shall see...

Realistically, they "hitched their wagon" to him when they picked him #1. Especially if he had a good season, yes, I would have def offered him a long term contract if I were in their shoes.

Just like the Eagles have been talking about doing BEFORE he has even played a game.

Great QB talents are rare. This is not an arm problem, and he is not a running QB.

I think Chip Kelly is going to look awfully smart (again) after this season. Bradford is a difference maker. You take your chances in a violent game like the NFL. Everyone is just one play away from being done. Bradford was unlucky. As were the Rams - they were put in a tough situation. But from where I sit, they did not follow through on their convictions. And so now their QB is Nick Foles. We shall see...
Not sure how all of this is going to turn out but this is a pretty damn good post

Under any outcome for this season other than "blows another ACL out in Week 2" or "wins a Super Bowl and makes first-team All-Pro", I'd be shocked if Bradford's next contract doesn't end up very much resembling Kaepernick's current one - a fair-sized signing bonus but what basically amounts to a series of one-year contracts thereafter. You can be 99% sure his next team - whoever it may be - isn't going to throw $80 mil guaranteed at a guy with his injury history.

I think the Rams had already made up their minds to move on, regardless of the specific salary implications.

I think there is a lot of misconception about Bradford's "injury history".

Someone made the point on another tbread that there is no increased risk of ACL tear after a second injury (actually less). Probably bc there is better chance the orthopods got it right on the repair ! Seriously, it is bc of the scar formation etc.

Bradford is not a running QB. There is NO problem w his arm. What we have here is basically a frameshifted of the "start" of his career by 2-3 years.

He is only 27. This is not like Chad Pennington.

The "next team" can do what they want with his contract, but Bradford is in a good situation. If I were the Eagles, I would roll the dice and lock him up. Looks like he might get very expensive if they wait. All of the pieces are there. Lightning has already struck twice.

Bob Magaw said:
In the traditional regular season tune up:

10/10

121 yards passing

12+ Y/A average

3 TDs passing

0 INT

1 quarter

He is making good decisions, getting the ball out in a hurry and distributing the ball to his many playmakers (much like when he starred at Oklahoma and was the 1.1 pick) as Kelly envisioned.

With EASILY the best combination of HC, scheme, OL and skill position weapons in his career, any revisions in projections? Foles and Sanchez combined for the sixth most passing yards in the league during the 2014 season.

He is one of the top Comeback Player of the Year candidates, with Adrian Peterson.
His price has to jump significantly after that performance last night. Man, he can sling it and as you alluded to, makes quick decisions with the football. I'd feel pretty confidant rolling with him as my starter, but would make sure I had a solid backup, in the case he gets hurt again.

Bob Magaw said:

10/10

121 yards passing

12+ Y/A average

3 TDs passing

0 INT

1 quarter

He is making good decisions, getting the ball out in a hurry and distributing the ball to his many playmakers (much like when he starred at Oklahoma and was the 1.1 pick) as Kelly envisioned.

With EASILY the best combination of HC, scheme, OL and skill position weapons in his career, any revisions in projections? Foles and Sanchez combined for the sixth most passing yards in the league during the 2014 season.

He is one of the top Comeback Player of the Year candidates, with Adrian Peterson.
His price has to jump significantly after that performance last night. Man, he can sling it and as you alluded to, makes quick decisions with the football. I'd feel pretty confidant rolling with him as my starter, but would make sure I had a solid backup, in the case he gets hurt again.
Call it the "Christian Laettner" 10/10. Dude was solid. Probably the most undervalued QB with the highest upside right now, due to the risk still hanging over him. Any game he starts, he's looking like a top 10 QB. And of course, there lies the risk.

I like him but his ADP has gone up a lot. I think he went in the 10th in 12 team PPR in a draft I had. He could score as much as Eli, Tannehill, Newton, etc. Could work out well if you grab him as your starter because it allows you a extra spot to pick a needed depth player, etc.

Bob Magaw said:

10/10

121 yards passing

12+ Y/A average

3 TDs passing

0 INT

1 quarter

I don't recall if Kelly said or a reporter did but "Kelly found his QB" was the line often used. It does seem that way and it also seems like Bradford found his coach.

He looks like Oklahoma Bradford and that offense looks familiar at times. The spread in both Oregon and Oklahoma...I really think there's a mesh there. It was discussed that there were things Kelly saw he did real well back then and I assumed he'd do something but...geesh he looks so comfortable. The Rams gave him "no WRs" and a poor OL and changed his OC every year, then added WRs and linemen and...it's like he moved to comfort and stability.

I doubt ADP gets comeback player because people don't want to discuss child abuse again.

To me, Reid and Kelly are the only coaches that have their teams looking sharp and crisp. For preseason, those are the two best coaches and kudos to them. I don't know how that carries over but I expect it to be quite favorable.

The Eagles score so many points in first half of these preseason games and are playing some good first units while they do it.

If nothing else, the often used kicker adage of taking a kicker from the top offense applies here- Bradford looks to be part of a top offense

As far as injury, if you take away the five or so freaks that never get injured, most every other NFL QB misses some time. In one league I play in, everyone has 2 QBs and some teams have 3. You'd have to draft a backup then. In another where everyone has one QB and some have two, I have Bradford and am totally fine with grabbing someone on the WW if Bradford gets hurt OR if someone just intrigues me. There's roughly 15 starters available and once injuries hit, it'll get fluid. That pool is fine to me. It's exactly like last year and I'm comfy with Bradford.

Everyone is always ugh he always gets hurt. Well if he's in the top offense for five weeks then gets hurt, I may have five weeks of excellent QB play. Yeah then I have to find 8 weeks of QB play but I also got all these different players while others took Rodgers, Brady, Mannings and Brees.

I really think that kicker adage applies to more and more FF players than most admit. There's rarely anything wrong with grabbing a guy from a top offense.

I can't comfortably project Sam because I still don't understand fully how they'll utilize their excellent RBs behind a nice OL but this preseason has certainly shown me that I want to grab whatever Eagles I can and see what happens.

value is disappearing...rapidly

fantasy is so much different than it was ten years ago

if you have sleepers, you don't want them showing well in the preseason...the information/analysis/news gets out there so quickly, that value is altered nearly immediately.

if you have sleepers, you don't want them showing well in the preseason...the information/analysis/news gets out there so quickly, that value is altered nearly immediately.
People were onto him even before that. I was banking really hard on getting him and the guy that took Romo in the 7th took Bradford in the 9th. Stafford, Rivers and Eli were still on the board. Really pissed me off. I asked him, what he was doing taking Bradford so high and he told me if I was asking him about it, it meant I already knew the answer. SOB. Draft was Thursday.

People were onto him even before that. I was banking really hard on getting him and the guy that took Romo in the 7th took Bradford in the 9th. Stafford, Rivers and Eli were still on the board. Really pissed me off. I asked him, what he was doing taking Bradford so high and he told me if I was asking him about it, it meant I already knew the answer. SOB. Draft was Thursday.
The Eagles looked really good in the other preseason games too...if Nick Foles can have top 5 QB spurts in this offense, it was obvious Bradford was an awesome play as soon as the Eagles traded for him.

The strong preseason sucked for those of us that were on him back in March.

The Eagles looked really good in the other preseason games too...if Nick Foles can have top 5 QB spurts in this offense, it was obvious Bradford was an awesome play as soon as the Eagles traded for him.

The strong preseason sucked for those of us that were on him back in March.
Eagles offense always looks good. It was always just a matter of if Bradford would be healthy to start the year.

Bradford's issue isn't injury prone body parts. It's immobility and lack of awareness. He could always spin it. And damn if I don't love his upside in this system so much I've been trumpeting him in every QB thread all summer.

But I definitely think he's fighting an uphill battle to stay on the field. He not only doesn't escspe pressure well -- I'm not sure he CAN. He HANDLES it like a champ. Sticks in there and delivers strikes. But that means he's gonna take a lot of hits. Especially since DC's are going to be coming after him as way to counteract Chip's O with aggression.

That Suggs hit isn't going to be the last or the worst Sam faces this year. I'm rooting for him to survive, because I'm pretty heavily invested in the guy, but I understand that to do it, he's going to have to hold up to a lot of damage.

But hey, if he can't, at least nobody in the league has a more interesting rehab dungeon. :shrug:

Use it to your advantage. Im betting someone will reach for Bradford in my league. that means someone may fall to me.

Bradford went with the 1st pick in the 4th rd of a 10 team league...
Dang I got him in the 8th Saturday before the solid preseason game in a 10 teamer. Didn't want to wait any longer With QBs starting to come off the board in a hurry.

QBs went early in my league and people were not thrilled with him.

I took Eli in the 7th and Bradford in the 11th. 10 teamer.

Too much value there.

Tasty week one matchup vs Atlanta
Yes it is. Atlanta has got to be one of the best defenses to target this year, plus their Offense will put up enough points to keep the scoring up all around. Bradford Week 1 has top 5 upside... although I do think there's some risk his TDs get cultured by a combo of Murray and Matthews.

Yes it is. Atlanta has got to be one of the best defenses to target this year, plus their Offense will put up enough points to keep the scoring up all around. Bradford Week 1 has top 5 upside... although I do think there's some risk his TDs get cultured by a combo of Murray and Matthews.
Those backs are gonna help him get some TD passes too with their RAC ability.

ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Eagles are no longer engaged in extension talks with contract-year QB Sam Bradford.

Bradford is pulling the plug on contract talks and is betting on himself coming off back-to-back seasons ruined by torn ACLs followed by a very impressive first preseason with the Eagles. He'll earn close to $13 million this season and be eligible for free agency in March, though the Eagles could always tag him. Sep 9 - 11:07 AM
Source: Ed Werder on Twitter
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5161/sam-bradford

Bradford is already filthy rich from sitting on the IR collecting his fat rookie contract bucks, so at this point he's certainly not desperate for cash, and I guess he can afford to go all-in like this.

Yes, the running game will always be featured but the higher volume of plays may counter that somewhat for the passing.

Users who are viewing this thread