What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Sam Bradford - QB (1 Viewer)

I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a quote from Shurmur that said they were going to ride Murray (or something to that affect).

No doubt McKinnon will be involved, but everything considered, the signs are pointing to Murray for me.
Agreed - all the prior comments & amount of playing time attributed to McKinnon can be taken with a grain of salt since Murray was still recovering. McKinnon was 2nd on the depth chart due to Murray’s recovery.

IMO it’s Murray on 1-2 down and at the stripe. 

PPR McKinnon is a great pickup. I grabbed them both. We’ll see how it shakes out but IMO Murray has the higher floor week to week, and especially in non-per leagues 

With Bradford back, things should open up on the ground, and there should be more red zone opportunities. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the rotowire staff is certainly saying that and they cite Chris Thomason of the Pioneer Press as the source of their opinion. This report was from October 6th which is when Pat Shurmur gave his press conference, Here that is. I have listened to it and I didn't hear it the way they are saying Thomason does. I also dont see Thomason with an article stating that either.

This is what was said:

Reporter "How are you planning to use Latavius Murray? Can he become the high volume carrier that Dalvin was starting to become for you guys?

Shurmur "Yeah I mean hes going to play. He is hopefully going to play a great deal. But we are going to mix in Jerrick obviously as well. So one man down next man up in terms of the role, and hes going to have to take a little bigger role than he has had."

Does that sound like what the article you posted said to you? It doesn't to me.In fact Pat flips the conversation to talking about McKinnon in response to the question from the reporter.

Then later on in the press conference a reporter asks if McKinnons role is going to change and Pat says that McKinnon is going to have to play more as well. With Dalvin down the next two guys are going to have a bigger role as well.

Looking at Chris Thomason's recent articles, I don't see any instance of him making such a definitive declaration as rotoworld about this either. Rptoworld twists stories to suit their agenda (hawt takes) again.

Well the rotowire staff is certainly saying that and they cite Chris Thomason of the Pioneer Press as the source of their opinion. This report was from October 6th which is when Pat Shurmur gave his press conference, Here that is. I have listened to it and I didn't hear it the way they are saying Thomason does. I also dont see Thomason with an article stating that either.

This is what was said:

Reporter "How are you planning to use Latavius Murray? Can he become the high volume carrier that Dalvin was starting to become for you guys?

Shurmur "Yeah I mean hes going to play. He is hopefully going to play a great deal. But we are going to mix in Jerrick obviously as well. So one man down next man up in terms of the role, and hes going to have to take a little bigger role than he has had."

Does that sound like what the article you posted said to you? It doesn't to me.In fact Pat flips the conversation to talking about McKinnon in response to the question from the reporter.

Then later on in the press conference a reporter asks if McKinnons role is going to change and Pat says that McKinnon is going to have to play more as well. With Dalvin down the next two guys are going to have a bigger role as well.

Looking at Chris Thomason's recent articles, I don't see any instance of him making such a definitive declaration as rotoworld about this either. Rptoworld twists stories to suit their agenda (hawt takes) again.
I didn't listen to the podcast, but both the article I'm referring to & what you're talking about is likely a mix of both truth & coachspeak. It's not like Shurmur or Zimmer is going to lay out their gameplan for the Bears.

That said, even if the article I referred to didn't exist, I'd still believe Murray is going to be their feature back given everything I know & can assume to a reasonable degree. No doubt McKinnon will be involved & things could flip if Murray's ankle isn't up to snuff, but my money is on Latavius right now.

This is just another storyline in what's adding up to be one of the most interesting FF weeks I can remember.

Another thing to consider is Murray saw almost twice as many snaps as McKinnon once Cook went out. I'm pretty confident Murray will be their feature back, but injury & performance variables are something to consider, as well.

That said, Murray is no joke & has had a lot more success than McKinnon. I simply believe there's too many things in Murray's favor, but we'll see.

I didn't listen to the podcast, but both the article I'm referring to & what you're talking about is likely a mix of both truth & coachspeak. It's not like Shurmur or Zimmer is going to lay out their gameplan for the Bears.

That said, even if the article I referred to didn't exist, I'd still believe Murray is going to be their feature back given everything I know & can assume to a reasonable degree. No doubt McKinnon will be involved & things could flip if Murray's ankle isn't up to snuff, but my money is on Latavius right now.

This is just another storyline in what's adding up to be one of the most interesting FF weeks I can remember.
It could go either way.

For additional context from the game against the Lions Murray came in and he failed to pick up the free rusher causing pressure on Keenum. The following play they bring in McKinnon who did a better job in pass protection than Murray did the play prior to that. McKinnon hurt his ankle on the play and was not used much after that. McKinnon also had the fumble out of the wildcat that he fakes to Cook and then kept, but he dropped the ball and the Lions recovered. Late in the game McKinnon missed a pass on third and short where he turned to run before securing the ball and he dropped it. Those kind of mistakes are not helping McKinnon as far as playing time at all.

My guess is it will be a more even split than rotoworld and many others are assuming. I think McKinnon fits what the Vikings are doing on offense better than Murray does and McKinnon has been better in pass protection based on those two assignments from the most recent game. That is the main thing they are going to want the RB to be able to do and why they signed Murray in the first place, because he has been good in pass protection in the past. But in the most recent game McKinnon showed more capable in that assignment than Murray was. McKinnon did get hurt though in executing that assignment.

It could go either way.

For additional context from the game against the Lions Murray came in and he failed to pick up the free rusher causing pressure on Keenum. The following play they bring in McKinnon who did a better job in pass protection than Murray did the play prior to that. McKinnon hurt his ankle on the play and was not used much after that. McKinnon also had the fumble out of the wildcat that he fakes to Cook and then kept, but he dropped the ball and the Lions recovered. Late in the game McKinnon missed a pass on third and short where he turned to run before securing the ball and he dropped it. Those kind of mistakes are not helping McKinnon as far as playing time at all.

My guess is it will be a more even split than rotoworld and many others are assuming. I think McKinnon fits what the Vikings are doing on offense better than Murray does and McKinnon has been better in pass protection based on those two assignments from the most recent game. That is the main thing they are going to want the RB to be able to do and why they signed Murray in the first place, because he has been good in pass protection in the past. But in the most recent game McKinnon showed more capable in that assignment than Murray was. McKinnon did get hurt though in executing that assignment.
I'll clarify further & say assuming Murray's ankle is ok, I'm very confident he'll outsnap McKinnon. 

Just by how much is hard to say right now. It's certainly possible McKinnon gets more PT than many people think (including me).

I'll clarify further & say assuming Murray's ankle is ok, I'm very confident he'll outsnap McKinnon. 

Just by how much is hard to say right now. Its possible McKinnon gets more PT than many people think (including me).
Well I think most people agree with you. I realize I am a bit out on a limb thinking McKinnon will outsnap Murray. That is my opinion though.

For what ti’s worth Murray got the majority of touches once Cook went down. I think Murray is the guy, at least at first.

Gah. I can’t risk 0 points on MNF & I cant stomach the idea of starting Mitch Trubisky as my “floor”.  Here’s hoping the Amish Rifle is the key to multi-TD success against Buffalo. :doh:  

Sam Bradford (knee) questionable to play vs. Bears

Mike Zimmer is keeping everyone in the dark on injured quarterback Sam Bradford's availability for Monday night.

The Minnesota Vikings coach told reporters when asked what his confidence is in Bradford's ability to play, "We'll see."

The coach cheekily added, "I have a crystal ball now because one of the psychics in the Twin Cities gave me one, but I didn't bring it down here with me."

NFL Network's Stacey Dales reported Sunday that Bradford has taken first-team reps in practice all week with the Vikings. The quarterback was limited in practice again on Saturday and was officially listed as questionable to play against the Chicago Bears.

Bradford has missed the last three games with a knee injury, but returned to practice this week as a limited participant. Case Keenum has filled in nicely, piloting a dynamic Vikings offense to a win over the Buccaneers in Week 3.

Scheffer say’s Bradford is trending towards starting Monday night

"Trending the right way for Sam Bradford to be able to play Monday night vs Bears"

Gah. I can’t risk 0 points on MNF & I cant stomach the idea of starting Mitch Trubisky as my “floor”.  Here’s hoping the Amish Rifle is the key to multi-TD success against Buffalo. :doh:  
Exact same predicament -- have been running Mariota out there, and with him not playing, desperately want a higher floor QB in a QB-thin wire league, and Bradford fits that bill. I believe he will play on MNF, but there is some degree of risk that something goes sideways or he's rusty/reinjured and being stuck MNF without other options.

If Bradford was playing Sunday, would be playing this a whole other way, but for now have picked up Hoyer in a solid matchup to secure a definitely unsexy floor, and will be spending the next 1.5 hours agonizing over whether this is the right move. I know it's safer...not sure it's better.

Just hoping being risk averse doesn't screw me.

Are you guys that own dropping him?

I'm sad about this development. 

Could've had Watson for nothing. 
He was out for 2 weeks and looked like this when he was allegedly ready for prime time.So maybe a month off to get right? By then the Vikings will be coming off their bye and going to Washington & two games behind GB. If dropped, I can't imagine anyone picking him up  for at least a while after last night's showing.

Are you guys that own dropping him?

I'm sad about this development. 

Could've had Watson for nothing. 
I agree with Simsarge that Bradford should be safe on waivers for awhile unless you are playing in a 2QB league with deep rosters. If you could have had Watson for nothing I am assuming that is not the case.

Will post if anything changes about his outlook. I don't expect them to be rushing him back into action any time soon. Maybe in a month or so that changes.

If Keenum keeps playing competently then maybe ZImmer won't be so quick to put Bradford out there this time, even if healthy. That seems unlikely to me, although Keenum hasn't been as bad as I was bracing for.

In most recent press conference ZImmer said that Bradford was doing everything well enough in practice and that is why they started him. Practice isn't the same as playing in the games and Bradford did not look right at all in the game from the beginning. ZImmer says he aggravated the injury after being hit early on in the game. While that is possibly true he didn't look right to me even before he got touched and he wasn't playing well enough to start over Keenum.

While I think it is even more of a longshot than Bradford coming back, it is possible that Bridgewater will be healthy enough to practice and maybe even play in a game at some point soon as well. 

Vikings Athletic Trainer Provides Updates on Bradford, Bridgewater, Cook

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Vikings Director of Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer Eric Sugarman on Tuesday told members of the media that Sam Bradford’s condition will be evaluated one day at a time, that Teddy Bridgewater will be re-evaluated by his surgeon next Monday and that Dalvin Cook underwent successful surgery on his ACL tear yesterday.

Bradford suffered a knee injury during Week 1 and was sidelined the following three weeks.

He returned to the lineup Monday night in Chicago and re-aggravated the injury against the Bears. He left the game with less than a minute before halftime and was replaced by Case Keenum.

“We’re not dealing with a ligament injury with Sam,” Sugarman said in his opening comments. “We’re not dealing with a bone bruise from a direct hit. Sam has wear and tear in his knee joint, and these injuries are very difficult to manage and treat. You’re going to ask when Sam is going to be back, and one day at a time, really like all players.

“We’re going to look at Sam tomorrow and evaluate him,” Sugarman continued. “At this point, I’m not here to speculate when Sam may or may not be back. I do think it’s important for me to mention that yesterday and always we were all on the same page, with ‘Should Sam play or should Sam not play?’ The question is, ‘How do we come up with that evaluation?’ Basically it’s on a player’s exam and on a player’s function. It’s a collaborative decision always. The player has a vote, the medical staff has a vote, the head coach, the coaching staff, the GM and together, collaboratively, we decide if a player is able to function and do his job or not.

“I think it’s very important — I’ve known most of you now for more than a decade — we would never put a player on the field that we thought could not protect himself,” Sugarman added. “That’s really important for me to mention.

“Sam at some point yesterday obviously aggravated his knee,” he explained. “I can’t give you a specific play or instance when it happened, but I will tell you today that we did get a new MRI, and thankfully he has no additional injury. We’re dealing with the same thing, which is good news for Sam and for everybody.”

Sugarman and the medical staff monitored Bradford’s status throughout the first half.

“It’s my job to be in constant communication with the players and coach at all times. I’m sure that you saw me go over to Sam a bunch of times, after every series, actually, and check with him,” Sugarman said. “It’s my job to watch the injured players, and he felt like he was able to continue to play. When we got to the point where we didn’t feel like he could protect himself, we took him out of the game.”

The Vikings traded to acquire Bradford, who had previously suffered two torn ACLs, in 2016 after Bridgewater suffered a knee dislocation and torn ACL.

Bridgewater is on the Physically Unable to Perform list as he continues his rehab.

“Teddy is working hard every day. You guys see him all of the time on the side [field],” Sugarman said. “He’s working extremely hard, doing a great job. He’s got one more week here where he’s not allowed to participate. He will be re-evaluated by his surgeon next Monday, and then we’re going to take it from there.”

As for Cook, who suffered a torn ACL on Oct. 1 against Detroit in just his fourth pro game, Sugarman said Cook had his ACL repaired Monday by Dr. James Andrews in Pensacola, Florida. 

“No real further damage in his knee, thankfully, a pretty straightforward ACL [injury], and I’d hope to expect him at training camp next year,” Sugarman said.

I’m dropping him & claiming a scrub to cover Dalton’s BYE. Then I’m riding the red rifle all year, or making a trade for an upgrade. 

Pretty disappointing - lights out game 1, thinking I hit QBFF gold, only to find out his knee’s sore on Monday, and lose him for 4 weeks only to have this happen? :doh:  

haven't been this disappointed in a hold since my Brady Anderson rookie card.

I bet they sure are happy they gave away that pick!
No regrets imo.

Braford played very well last year and this year, then got injured. Injuries happen.

Your post is not being excellent. It is about the same as saying that the Texans shouldn't have drafted Watson or the Vikings shouldn't have drafted Bridewater.

Biabreakable said:
No regrets imo.

Braford played very well last year and this year, then got injured. Injuries happen.

Your post is not being excellent. It is about the same as saying that the Texans shouldn't have drafted Watson or the Vikings shouldn't have drafted Bridewater.
Hindsight is always 20/20

anyone hearing anything about Bradford? I’ve heard he’ll come back, he’s out for the yr and his career is done...

Hindsight is always 20/20

anyone hearing anything about Bradford? I’ve heard he’ll come back, he’s out for the yr and his career is done...
They are speculating that the Vikings will put Bradford on IR.

He is not under contract for 2018 but I would expect he still wants to play. Not sure he will be with the Vikings though. Teams are throwing a lot of money at QBs they think might be able to start for them and Bradford will likely get paid more than Glennon and Hoyer got paid as free agents this year.

The Vikings do not have any QBs under contract for next year, so they will be in the market for whichever QB seems like the best option. I kind of doubt they bring Bradford back, but its possible. There is a good relaitonship between him and Shurmur.

Biabreakable said:
No regrets imo.

The difference being Watson hasn't hurt himself 5 times before they drafted him.  Most could have predicted this for Bradford's end

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/sam-bradford/3362

Yes the Vikings are total idiots and the Eagles are genius selling wooden nickels. 

Happy now?
Huge salary and top pick and I'm not so sure they couldn't have gotten that much out of shaun hill.  Certainly, he didn't get them anywhere.  I know everyone wants to win now and every team whiffs, this is just one that stuck out in my head as such a bad deal with so much commentary at the time saying so.

And this is less about the vikings and more about Bradford.  Nobody has cost the NFL so much by doing so little.  

Huge salary and top pick and I'm not so sure they couldn't have gotten that much out of shaun hill.  Certainly, he didn't get them anywhere.  I know everyone wants to win now and every team whiffs, this is just one that stuck out in my head as such a bad deal with so much commentary at the time saying so.
And Bradford played much better than those same people expected up until he was injured week two of this season.

Not a topic I really care to discuss AGAIN when its water under the bridge, yet Eagles fans keep bringing it up over and over again.

Great news. If Keenum struggles or gets injured I continue to believe Bradford is a better choice to step in immediately and have success over Teddy.
Its good to have options.

Bradford definitely has the best deep accuracy of the the three. He just isn't as mobile as the other two.

Keenums play recently does make me nervous. He has been lucky to not have more of those throws intercepted and he under throws the deeper passes too often.

Teddy is still an unknown as far as how good he can be. Bradford a more proven player at this point if healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread