What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Your Money out of the Market (1 Viewer)

LHUCKS

Footballguy
Over the next four months several factors (including but not limited to Europe and the political mudslinging) are going to result in significant stock market losses IMHO. It may not happen, but I think the likelihood is much stronger than an increase.

The Dow is at 12,997 right now. :blackdot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the next four months several factors (including but not limited to Europe and the political mudslinging) are going to result in significant stock market losses IMHO. It may not happen, but I think the likelihood is much stronger than an increase.The Dow is at 12,997 right now. :blackdot:
have you gone pro gold tout? Reads like one of those ads.

So if I do take my money out of the market and I end up getting hosed you will take responsibility for it? Perhaps compensate me financially?

Just remember a lot of us know your real name, Geniusburger.

I'm already on record in the stock thread that at some point before 1/1/13 the market is going to drop due to the "fiscal cliff". Only problem is the Bernake may run the press with QE3 to sned the market higher into year end.

Timing is everything.

Only problem is the Bernake may run the press with QE3 to sned the market higher into year end.Timing is everything.
There will definitely be a QE3 and the timing of that will obviously effect the severity of the dip but make no mistake, a dip is coming. The only question is how big.

Over the next four months several factors (including but not limited to Europe and the political mudslinging) are going to result in significant stock market losses IMHO. It may not happen, but I think the likelihood is much stronger than an increase.The Dow is at 12,997 right now. :blackdot:
Inverse Index ETFs are the sharkmove here. 3X leverage if you believe as strongly as I do.

Inverse Index ETFs are the sharkmove here. 3X leverage if you believe as strongly as I do.
can you tell me what you bought today? what's your strategy moving forward?

Aren't inverse Index ETFs for very short term runs? They aren't meant to track the index for long periods are they?

I moved everything I could into cash today. I will be buying inverse index ETFs in the coming weeks, alhtough I have not decided which ones.

Aren't inverse Index ETFs for very short term runs? They aren't meant to track the index for long periods are they?
Correct as far as multiple-leverage (2X, 3X) ETFs, whether or not they're inverse, eventually the contango will catch up to you.

Correct as far as multiple-leverage (2X, 3X) ETFs, whether or not they're inverse, eventually the contango will catch up to you.
Yeah I meant the multiple leverage types.

I moved everything I could into cash today. I will be buying inverse index ETFs in the coming weeks, alhtough I have not decided which ones.
why wouldn't you buy right now if we're topped out?And what do you mean which ones?there's not that many choices.. you cited the dow, so why not just go dow or s&P 500 double or triple inverse

why wouldn't you buy right now if we're topped out?
just being cautious, and I have a day job
And what do you mean which onesthere's not that many choices.. you cited the dow, so why not just go dow or s&P 500 double or triple inverse
you can go sector specific...a ton of different options nowadays. I'll likely go Dow/Nasdaq just to play it safe. I've got some more research to do in terms of what I think this fiscal cliff means sector to sector.

:lmao: :lmao:

Who the hell are you anyway?

Fantasy football expert, college football expert, stock market expert....do you, by chance, drink Dos Equis? However, you basically hang out in the FBG forums 24/7, so there is no way you have enough time to actually research this stuff to be giving an informed opinion....and you sure can't have any kind of life.

GL with life, suckabee!

:lmao: :lmao: Who the hell are you anyway?Fantasy football expert, college football expert, stock market expert....do you, by chance, drink Dos Equis? However, you basically hang out in the FBG forums 24/7, so there is no way you have enough time to actually research this stuff to be giving an informed opinion....and you sure can't have any kind of life.GL with life, suckabee!
You forgot "education expert".

I would implore anyone thinking of taking a position in 3x funds to re-think that. You can do a little research right here and go back in the stock threads and you'll find that there probably isn't a single worse single pick (long or short) than the 3x ETFs.

If you do want to go with an aggressive position- you should instead investigate Emini future contracts - of which trade with the SP500, Nasdaq, and Dow. Emini futures are not difficult to trade and unlike the 3x ETFs trade close to 24 hours a day 5.5 days a week (they open Sunday evening and trade through Friday).

3x ETFs is a major Risk V Reward bet. It is a risky play. So is playing Emini futures. But if you are going to accept the risk you might as well get the most reward.

Let's compare 2 recent trades. One using the SPXU (3x Short Sp500) and we'll compare that against the ES (the SP500 Emini futures contract)...based off the timing of my own "Perfect Bull Market/Bear Market Indicator" which showed the market turning bearish on April 27, 2012 and bearish till June 29, 2012. We'll invest approximately the same amount into each posiion and compare the results. So the question we want answered is: What performs better in the same market environment with the same amount invested... The SPXU or the ES?

Long SPXU @ the close of 4/27 @ $45.10 and Closed on 6/29 @ $47.21. For a profit of $2.11. A 100 share lot invested would cost $4510.00. Total profit on the trade would be $211.00 and you'd have a ROI of 4.6%.

Short ES taken @ the close of 4/27 @ 1398 and Closed on 6/29 @ 1356. For a profit of 42pts. 1 ES contract will cost you about $4000. Every point gained will net you $50. So a gain of 42pts x $50 gives us a profit of $2100 and you'd have a ROI of 52.5% THAT'S MORE THAN 10X THE AMOUNT GAINED FROM THE SPXU 3X ETF FOR THE SAME AMOUNT INVESTED.

The "Ultra" style ETFs are for losers. They are not a sophisticated trade in any sense of the word...carry a substantial amount of risk and offer little in the form of reward.

Oh and that Perfect Bull/Bear Indicator...well it is still Bullish from 6/29....it would take a week of hard selling for it to turn bearish again.

Simply the cost of the leverage ends up making these huge underperformers on any but the shortest timescales.

down to 13,009.78

'St. Louis Bob said:
I think it is entirely possible it will rain tomorrow but it might not.
But it will rain eventually, at which point I'll bump this thread and pat myself on the back :yes:

'siffoin said:
I would implore anyone thinking of taking a position in 3x funds to re-think that. You can do a little research right here and go back in the stock threads and you'll find that there probably isn't a single worse single pick (long or short) than the 3x ETFs. If you do want to go with an aggressive position- you should instead investigate Emini future contracts - of which trade with the SP500, Nasdaq, and Dow. Emini futures are not difficult to trade and unlike the 3x ETFs trade close to 24 hours a day 5.5 days a week (they open Sunday evening and trade through Friday). 3x ETFs is a major Risk V Reward bet. It is a risky play. So is playing Emini futures. But if you are going to accept the risk you might as well get the most reward.Let's compare 2 recent trades. One using the SPXU (3x Short Sp500) and we'll compare that against the ES (the SP500 Emini futures contract)...based off the timing of my own "Perfect Bull Market/Bear Market Indicator" which showed the market turning bearish on April 27, 2012 and bearish till June 29, 2012. We'll invest approximately the same amount into each posiion and compare the results. So the question we want answered is: What performs better in the same market environment with the same amount invested... The SPXU or the ES?Long SPXU @ the close of 4/27 @ $45.10 and Closed on 6/29 @ $47.21. For a profit of $2.11. A 100 share lot invested would cost $4510.00. Total profit on the trade would be $211.00 and you'd have a ROI of 4.6%. Short ES taken @ the close of 4/27 @ 1398 and Closed on 6/29 @ 1356. For a profit of 42pts. 1 ES contract will cost you about $4000. Every point gained will net you $50. So a gain of 42pts x $50 gives us a profit of $2100 and you'd have a ROI of 52.5% THAT'S MORE THAN 10X THE AMOUNT GAINED FROM THE SPXU 3X ETF FOR THE SAME AMOUNT INVESTED.The "Ultra" style ETFs are for losers. They are not a sophisticated trade in any sense of the word...carry a substantial amount of risk and offer little in the form of reward.Oh and that Perfect Bull/Bear Indicator...well it is still Bullish from 6/29....it would take a week of hard selling for it to turn bearish again.
And this...ladies and gentlemen.. is an ACTUAL stock market expert. Thanks for checking in.

Users who are viewing this thread