What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Your Money out of the Market (1 Viewer)

:popcorn: Looks like I was a tad early but since March 5th, the Nasdaq has been on a course of lower highs and lower lows. Huge crater going on right now. If we close below 4150, the trend continues.
Huh? Didn't the S&P 500 hit a record high yesterday? And you're priding yourself on missing it because you tried to time the market?

Good luck with that.

:popcorn: Looks like I was a tad early but since March 5th, the Nasdaq has been on a course of lower highs and lower lows. Huge crater going on right now. If we close below 4150, the trend continues.
Huh? Didn't the S&P 500 hit a record high yesterday? And you're priding yourself on missing it because you tried to time the market?

Good luck with that.
I think he's trying to schtick you all. Maybe.

Good luck with that.
Something like that. :lmao: However, the market is at record levels of margined $. It will collapse eventually.

lod01 said:
culdeus said:
IvanKaramazov said:
lod01 said:

Good luck with that.
Something like that. :lmao: However, the market is at record levels of margined $. It will collapse eventually.
Please let us know when, so we can all pull out 4 years after that date. TIA.

lod01 said:
culdeus said:
IvanKaramazov said:
lod01 said:

Good luck with that.
The sun is going to expand and swallow the planet, eventually.

lod01 said:
culdeus said:
IvanKaramazov said:
lod01 said:

Good luck with that.
Just like Kirstie Alley.

lod01 said:
culdeus said:
IvanKaramazov said:
lod01 said:

Good luck with that.
Just like Kirstie Alley.
True

Keerock said:
lod01 said:
A LITTLE early? Didn't you start this thread in Sept, 2012?
:goodposting:

I've been laughing at this thread all the way to the bank, but I think the fun might be over.

Starting to feel like people are waking up after this epic bull market and realizing that the economy isn't all that much better than when it started, and that maybe there's no real reason for the market to have gone up so much during the last couple of years.

Going to start locking in some profits. It was a run.

2007….October the market hit what? 14,300 give or take?

it's been over 6 years since then…….Dow is hovering around 16,200ish………….inflation adjusted…..where have we gone?

Not much higher.

Bull Market?

No it was a massive recovery from 6700 in March of 2009.

The real Bull Market is still out there. Dow will hit 18K by year end S&P 500 2000.

Then you re-evaluate your asset allocation.

But long term……this market has so much left. Global expansion is still happening, Europe is about 2 years behind us and pulling out of their recession. Forward PE's on real companies are still low compared to the PE's back in 2006 and 2007…….stocks are still long term a value in certain sectors.

Buy good paying, rising dividend companies to weather through any correction…….get paid while you wait and see the cowards sell off….buy some more on that dip……hold and compound.

It's no secret……but people are still sitting on the sidelines in cash…they missed the entire rally from the depths of hell in 2008/2009 and the moment they all decide to get back in….the Dow will be at 18K….and the rug will be pulled again…….and the smart money will again buy on the sell off.

Rinse and repeat….like the last 80 years.

2007….October the market hit what? 14,300 give or take?

it's been over 6 years since then…….Dow is hovering around 16,200ish………….inflation adjusted…..where have we gone?

Not much higher.

Bull Market?

No it was a massive recovery from 6700 in March of 2009.

The real Bull Market is still out there. Dow will hit 18K by year end S&P 500 2000.

Then you re-evaluate your asset allocation.

But long term……this market has so much left. Global expansion is still happening, Europe is about 2 years behind us and pulling out of their recession. Forward PE's on real companies are still low compared to the PE's back in 2006 and 2007…….stocks are still long term a value in certain sectors.

Buy good paying, rising dividend companies to weather through any correction…….get paid while you wait and see the cowards sell off….buy some more on that dip……hold and compound.

It's no secret……but people are still sitting on the sidelines in cash…they missed the entire rally from the depths of hell in 2008/2009 and the moment they all decide to get back in….the Dow will be at 18K….and the rug will be pulled again…….and the smart money will again buy on the sell off.

Rinse and repeat….like the last 80 years.
I agree. Back in April 2000, the S&P was at 1527, so even after the recent run up, the S&P is up 20% in 14 years. Earnings in 2000 were around $56 and earnings in 2013 were $107. I know 2000 was overvalued, but still, up 20% in 14 years, that is about a 1% return per year. I would bet that has to be one of, if not THE worst 14 year return of all time. People have such short term memories and think this is like the 1982-2000 bull market. Take the last 14 years of that from 1986 to 2000, which includes the huge drop in 1987 and the recession of the early 90's. Despite all of that, the S&P went from 250 to 1500, i.e. a 600% return. 600% is slightly better than 20%.

That said, I am sure there will be somewhat of a pull back because of all the talk about it and as soon as it goes down a little, more money will come out. However, that tends to be the time to get in as people are panicking. They get out, watch it go up and get back in late and push it up even more.

If you take the S&P 500 historical data from 1950 to today (available on Yahoo Finance) and plot it on a logarithmic scale, you'll see a pretty consistent trend over that 64 years of data. In fact, if you put a trend line on top of the plot, you'll see that we are almost spot on the long-term trend today.

There is a big bump over the line during the tech bubble (not surprising) and then a bit of a run-up during the mid-2000s, but a big over-correction downwards during the recession.

So essentially, we are just now getting back to where the long-term trend says we should be.

I know that is a simplistic way to look at it, but as a long-term investor I'm less concerned with the little month-long corrections or climbs.

The S&P 500 is down 3%. LET'S ALL PANIC!
Well, that's not what I said. I did say I think the bull market might be ending and that I am going to take action on that belief by locking in some of the gains I've enjoyed over the last 5+ years, gains that resulted from investing heavily in stocks at a time when people actually were panicking and pulling out of the market.

If I'm wrong, I can live with that and be content with those gains. I hope everyone here continues to make lots of money.

Well that and he is cherry picking the Nasdaq when the S&P is still up from his latest call on March 3rd, even with today as well.

Things appear to be hitting a head, but as I mentioned in several thread here a couple years ago, we were hitting record corporate profits year over year even though the stock market literally hadn't gone up at all since the 1999/2000 peak. It was something like 10 years with 0% return, which was worse than any ten year period I had ever seen, even the great depression. This is all from memory, but still it definitely made me realize that there was going to be a nice run. Wish I had had more cash laying around, but my retirement accounts have done much better of late.
It appears that I called the S&P top at just under 1%. S&P now down 3.5% from my call. Basically nailed the top of the naz at about 4345 (top being 4362). Naz down 10% from my call.

If you take the S&P 500 historical data from 1950 to today (available on Yahoo Finance) and plot it on a logarithmic scale, you'll see a pretty consistent trend over that 64 years of data. In fact, if you put a trend line on top of the plot, you'll see that we are almost spot on the long-term trend today.

There is a big bump over the line during the tech bubble (not surprising) and then a bit of a run-up during the mid-2000s, but a big over-correction downwards during the recession.

So essentially, we are just now getting back to where the long-term trend says we should be.

I know that is a simplistic way to look at it, but as a long-term investor I'm less concerned with the little month-long corrections or climbs.
To paraphrase from the Princess Bride: "I do not think this chart means what you think it means."

As someone who looks at stock charts all day long. There's really not a more bearish chart I've seen than the one you present. For both price and time (cycle)...your chart suggests we're at a significant market top.

Well that and he is cherry picking the Nasdaq when the S&P is still up from his latest call on March 3rd, even with today as well.

Things appear to be hitting a head, but as I mentioned in several thread here a couple years ago, we were hitting record corporate profits year over year even though the stock market literally hadn't gone up at all since the 1999/2000 peak. It was something like 10 years with 0% return, which was worse than any ten year period I had ever seen, even the great depression. This is all from memory, but still it definitely made me realize that there was going to be a nice run. Wish I had had more cash laying around, but my retirement accounts have done much better of late.
It appears that I called the S&P top at just under 1%. S&P now down 3.5% from my call. Basically nailed the top of the naz at about 4345 (top being 4362). Naz down 10% from my call.
Wow, after an almost 300% run-up, you called it? Impressive, especially since you called it wrong before. Also, there are always dips and pops. Saying you called it now is meaningless. If you called a top in January, you looked good at the beginning of February and then looked bad in March. Don't pat yourself on the back yet. Calling a dip after a 300% run-up in 5 years isn't even a good call when you said that it wasn't going to do well a while ago and missed out on a ton of gains.

That said, I kind of agree with you. I think we are at a top for a bit.

Wow, after an almost 300% run-up, you called it? Impressive, especially since you called it wrong before. Also, there are always dips and pops. Saying you called it now is meaningless. If you called a top in January, you looked good at the beginning of February and then looked bad in March. Don't pat yourself on the back yet. Calling a dip after a 300% run-up in 5 years isn't even a good call when you said that it wasn't going to do well a while ago and missed out on a ton of gains.

And that would be when? I made 1 call near the end of the day on March 3rd. You are just sour grapes that I almos tnailed it perfectly. You are probably riding the market down.

Last edited by a moderator:

To paraphrase from the Princess Bride: "I do not think this chart means what you think it means."

As someone who looks at stock charts all day long. There's really not a more bearish chart I've seen than the one you present. For both price and time (cycle)...your chart suggests we're at a significant market top.
I am not sure I see the same thing. IMHO, in doing that it looks more like 2000 went out of whack too high and then 2008 went out of whack too low. If you draw a line through those bumps, it seems like the current action got things back to where they should have been if it were smooth like before.

And that would be when? I made 1 call near the end of the day on March 3rd. You are just sour grapes that I almos tnailed it perfectly. You are probably riding the market down.
Huh? One month after your call, the S&P was up almost 3%. Also, the S&P is down 23 points from COB March 3rd (1845.73) right now on a down day or barely over 1%. As of the last market close the S&P 500 is less than 1% from your "nailed" prediction. Man, what a tailspin. I am down almost 1% based on the last market close. :lmao:

ETA: If you called it on April 2nd, then I would be more impressed.

Nailed it. Right now the S&P 500 is 0.149% lower than your call of the top. Congratulations. You nailed it yet again. My work 401k is down a whopping $200+. I am on a death spiral, down to nothing.

Nailed it. Right now the S&P 500 is 0.149% lower than your call of the top. Congratulations. You nailed it yet again. My work 401k is down a whopping $200+. I am on a death spiral, down to nothing.
Lod01 = Miscellaneous

Looks like another "rough" day ahead for us poor saps.
LOL, I hope we aren't jinxing it, but gotta love someone patting himself on the back for a great call of the market top and others losing their shirt and less than 24 hours later the S&P is above his call. You really can't make this stuff up.

People have told me I'm wrong but I doubt this bull market will end until short-term interest rates move significantly from near zero. Money will be left in stocks because there are few good places to move it to.

LOL, I hope we aren't jinxing it, but gotta love someone patting himself on the back for a great call of the market top and others losing their shirt and less than 24 hours later the S&P is above his call. You really can't make this stuff up.
Apparently you can't do math (no surprise) nor can you read as my call was on March 3rd near the close which means it was higher than it is now and look who is cherry picking now. That would be you using the S&P as the gauge.

Apparently you can't do math (no surprise) nor can you read as my call was on March 3rd near the close which means it was higher than it is now and look who is cherry picking now. That would be you using the S&P as the gauge.
Please just stop. Are you actually trying to say that the S&P 500 is a bad gauge of the market? What common index is better?

Here is the math:

S&P 500 close on March 3rd: 1845.73

S&P 500 close on April 15th: 1842.98

S&P 500 (current): 1855.72

Please feel free to tell me how great your call is. I just can't seem to figure out these complex numbers. Sorry man, I'm pretty sure my math abilities and smarts are higher than yours, just like the S&P and your call.

By the way, here is your post if you don't recall. Notice your use of indexes in your post. Sorry, but the S&P 500 is pretty widely accepted as a good broad market index and very valid to use in the discussion.

By the way, the Dow is up about 200 points from your call, if you like that index better. Keep trying to say the Nasdaq, which has been more affected by the biotech stocks than your call about Putin.

Please just stop. Are you actually trying to say that the S&P 500 is a bad gauge of the market? What common index is better?

Here is the math:

S&P 500 close on March 3rd: 1845.73

S&P 500 close on April 15th: 1842.98

S&P 500 (current): 1855.72

Please feel free to tell me how great your call is. I just can't seem to figure out these complex numbers. Sorry man, I'm pretty sure my math abilities and smarts are higher than yours, just like the S&P and your call.

By the way, here is your post if you don't recall. Notice your use of indexes in your post. Sorry, but the S&P 500 is pretty widely accepted as a good broad market index and very valid to use in the discussion.

You can't argue facts with LHUCKS... He's more of a fiction guy.

LHUCKS put enough idiocy into this thread to last us a long time. You don't need to top off the tank.

LHUCKS put enough idiocy into this thread to last us a long time. You don't need to top off the tank.
Any time any one calls "top" or "bottom", that is pretty much an indication that they have no clue what investing is about and are trying to simplify it for themselves down to a simple gambling call.

I am preparing for some weird market actions later ths year...
here is a news flash.

The market will go up and down. Sometimes dramatically.

Unless you have a crystal ball, you can't predict it. More people have lost money investing trying to market time than using any other technique.

There is no one right way to go about this. Just be smart, hedge where you can, dollar cost average as best you can, hold on to your butt during the dips and enjoy the spikes.

What makes you think they aren't somehow related? :alias:

Any time any one calls "top" or "bottom", that is pretty much an indication that they have no clue what investing is about and are trying to simplify it for themselves down to a simple gambling call.
In fairness, I'm sure LHUCKS has called "top" or "bottom" lots of times in contexts that had nothing to do with investing.

Google missed, which I am kinda shocked by... When that happens, watch out in tech. Tech has already been choppy, now the king has come up short.

I see the "BREAKING NEWS: After-hours Buzz: Google, Amex, IBM & More" banner in the CNBC web site.

Does everyone abuse "Breaking News" now?

Juxtatarot said:
People have told me I'm wrong but I doubt this bull market will end until short-term interest rates move significantly from near zero. Money will be left in stocks because there are few good places to move it to.
I think you are right.

Well that and he is cherry picking the Nasdaq when the S&P is still up from his latest call on March 3rd, even with today as well.Things appear to be hitting a head, but as I mentioned in several thread here a couple years ago, we were hitting record corporate profits year over year even though the stock market literally hadn't gone up at all since the 1999/2000 peak. It was something like 10 years with 0% return, which was worse than any ten year period I had ever seen, even the great depression. This is all from memory, but still it definitely made me realize that there was going to be a nice run. Wish I had had more cash laying around, but my retirement accounts have done much better of late.
Wow, after an almost 300% run-up, you called it? Impressive, especially since you called it wrong before. Also, there are always dips and pops. Saying you called it now is meaningless. If you called a top in January, you looked good at the beginning of February and then looked bad in March. Don't pat yourself on the back yet. Calling a dip after a 300% run-up in 5 years isn't even a good call when you said that it wasn't going to do well a while ago and missed out on a ton of gains.That said, I kind of agree with you. I think we are at a top for a bit.
I think you were wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread