Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

6 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Hilton looks a half step slow.   

Hard to make a full assessment with the injuries, but seems increasingly clear that Hilton's best days are well in the past. Just turned 30 and his QB situation, whether it's Brissett or a new guy next year, certainly isn't helping matters.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He has missed 4 games in 7 years. 

I’m not one to judge but I truly believe that Gurley is 100% done. I agree that TY has one more year left in him but Claypool is a young stud in the making regardless of QB. I may end up being wrong b

1 minute ago, zamboni said:

Hard to make a full assessment with the injuries, but seems increasingly clear that Hilton's best days are well in the past. Just turned 30 and his QB situation, whether it's Brissett or a new guy next year, certainly isn't helping matters.

If he can get over this injury, he could have another couple good years but I agree that he will probably not be elite again.   

• Like 1

Coach Frank Reich said T.Y. Hilton escaped Week 15 without setbacks and expects his snaps to increase Weeks 16-17.

Hilton played 51.8% of the snaps in his return from a calf injury this past Monday night against the Saints, serving as the No. 4 receiver but leading the team with nine targets. Hilton gets a plus matchup in the home dome against the Panthers this week, but he needs to be treated as a boom-bust WR3 with Jacoby Brissett struggling and Hilton obviously at risk for re-injury.

SOURCE: George Bremer on Twitter

Dec 18, 2019, 12:53 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...

T.Y. Hilton said he played through a two-centimeter calf tear late in the season.

It reportedly stretched to three centimeters when he re-injured it in Week 12. It also begs the question why the coaching staff allowed him to suit up for Weeks 16 and 17 since the team was already eliminated from the postseason by that time. Hilton started strong from Jacoby Brissett, spiking four receiving scores in his first three games, but failed to eclipse 100 yards at any point and found the end zone just once more over his next seven injury-riddled contests. There's no denying he can still be a difference-maker when healthy, though, ultimately pinning him as a 6th/7th-round selection in Best-Ball leagues in March.

SOURCE: Zak Keefer on Twitter

Dec 30, 2019, 12:06 PM ET

• 4 months later...

Contract-year WR T.Y. Hilton said he and the Colts have had extension talks, but they "kind of died down" during the pandemic.

Turning 31 later this year, Hilton said whatever the length of his next contract is will determine how much longer he plays, saying he's going to retire at the end of his third deal. He wants to retire with the Colts but admitted it takes both sides to hammer out a deal. Ultimately, we'd expect both sides to get something done when all the dust settles on this COVID-19 stuff and the league returns to a new state of normal. Hilton is scheduled to collect a $14.542 million salary in 2020. Coming off a year of injuries, Hilton is of the belief 2020 can be an All-Pro year for him with Philip Rivers now under center.

SOURCE: Jim Ayello on Twitter

May 13, 2020, 1:16 PM ET

Colts WR T.Y. Hilton said "I want to be a Colt."

He added, "It takes two sides ... It's up to [owner Jim] Irsay and [general manager] Chris [Ballard] to get the job done." There's an air of both uncertainty and optimism in Indianapolis, where Philip Rivers will attempt to get the most out of the Colts' beastly offensive line and underrated crop of skill-position players. Still, it's at least a little bit worrisome to project Hilton moving forward. The days of receiving 130-plus targets from Andrew Luck are over, and historically we just haven't seen consistent evidence that Hilton can be a high-end fantasy producer otherwise, as he's averaged a 5.3-85-0.4 line with Luck and a 4-58-0.3 without during his career. The lack of experienced pass-catchers elsewhere on the Colts means that Hilton's status as the passing game's No. 1 option likely isn't going anywhere, but anything beyond 2020 is a bit of a mystery.

SOURCE: Around the NFL on Twitter

May 14, 2020, 9:15 AM ET

27 minutes ago, smbkrypt24 said:

Top 5- not likely, but this is possible with a healthy season

top 12- more likely, but needs to stay healthy

Lots of things are possible, but unless I'm misremembering, Hilton had one season where he was #5, with Luck in his prime. 

46 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Lots of things are possible, but unless I'm misremembering, Hilton had one season where he was #5, with Luck in his prime. 

Yes, the issue seems to be with him staying healthy and someone able to get him the ball.  He is constantly open when he plays healthy.  The problem is Brissett can't get him the ball when he is open, I am not sure Rivers can but is more likely to be able to than Brissett.

2 hours ago, smbkrypt24 said:

Yes, the issue seems to be with him staying healthy and someone able to get him the ball.  He is constantly open when he plays healthy.  The problem is Brissett can't get him the ball when he is open, I am not sure Rivers can but is more likely to be able to than Brissett.

I'll definitely agree Rivers is an upgrade. I'm just really skeptical of Hilton's ability to (1) stay healthy, (2) play at a higher level than he ever has, consistently, but mostly I really don't see Rivers as being better for Hilton than Luck was. 

Honestly, even with their draft capital spent on receivers, I think Indy follows the Titans mold this year except with more RBBC. they can probably dominate on the ground, Rivers will take his chances when he needs to but with that line, Mack, Taylor and even Hines, Indy is going to rely heavily on the RBs.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, -OZ- said:

I'll definitely agree Rivers is an upgrade. I'm just really skeptical of Hilton's ability to (1) stay healthy, (2) play at a higher level than he ever has, consistently, but mostly I really don't see Rivers as being better for Hilton than Luck was. 

Honestly, even with their draft capital spent on receivers, I think Indy follows the Titans mold this year except with more RBBC. they can probably dominate on the ground, Rivers will take his chances when he needs to but with that line, Mack, Taylor and even Hines, Indy is going to rely heavily on the RBs.

Understand your issues but if I may offer the following:

On the injuries. If you feel like Hiltons body has broke down at 30  and soon to be 31 I understand. I just don't see that. He played 94 out of 96 possible games his first 6 years and played in some games he probably should not have the last few years. So he's got a long track record of not missing games and a recent history of playing through injuries a lot of other players would have sat with. He just ran into the bad luck that is injuries the last two years, I don't see an injury risk or injury prone player myself.

I agree I don't see how Rivers is better for him then Luck. If he was as good as Luck it would be great because you really got to examine the last few years of Hilton/Lucks career and remember they only have 14 games together since 2016 when Ty went for 91/1448. Those 14 games were in 2018, Hilton went 76/1270  but two things of note. That prorates to 87/1451 of course, similar to his 2016 season, but really I think Hilton had improved since 2016 and taken his game up another level but his worst 3 game stretch in 2016 was the 3 games he returned after his injury.  This reeks of cherry picking and I will accept that charge but his 11 basically fully healthy games with Luck, his only 11 since 2016, was a 99/1,650 pace. I expect him to be worse then when he and Luck were both healthy but he's got a decent amount of wiggle room to be worse and still a bargain.

That third issue you mentioned, the heavy RB usage, that bothers me. I'm with you on that one completely. They want to run the ball a lot and they should be able to plus if you look at their schedule it does not look rife with shootout potential games.  That to me is a bigger worry and why I think he'll be good and a good bargain, he's not going to hit 2016 numbers or his per game totals in 2018 with Luck. But a solid WR2? Yes.

Edited by menobrown
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Stinkin Ref said:

he screams move to the next guy on your list to me.....

:shrug: I took him as WR26 in ssl. That seems like good value in redraft best ball. 

I think people are way too down on him.  He was injured most of last season.  Rivers isn't an elite QB anymore, but he should improve Hilton's fantasy value.

His best seasons with Luck he had 1440 and 1270 in terms of yards, and he's never been a big TD guy.  With Rivers he should get back up to ~1100 yards and 6 TD's.  He'll be a solid play, but I don't love the upside as much as the Luck days.  I struggle ranking him.  I've got him at WR21 because I think the volume is there.  But I worry he's less likely to hit those top 10 numbers than some of the guys below him.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 1:21 PM, jm192 said:

I think people are way too down on him.  He was injured most of last season.  Rivers isn't an elite QB anymore, but he should improve Hilton's fantasy value.

His best seasons with Luck he had 1440 and 1270 in terms of yards, and he's never been a big TD guy.  With Rivers he should get back up to ~1100 yards and 6 TD's.  He'll be a solid play, but I don't love the upside as much as the Luck days.  I struggle ranking him.  I've got him at WR21 because I think the volume is there.  But I worry he's less likely to hit those top 10 numbers than some of the guys below him.  

1000 yards and 6tds really makes him a middling wr though.  You can almost do better just playing match ups than starting him week to week

4 hours ago, killface said:

1000 yards and 6tds really makes him a middling wr though.  You can almost do better just playing match ups than starting him week to week

right....thats 62 yards a game and about a TD every third game.....I'd probably take a swing on a guy down the ADP list without the name recognition and shoot for upside

guys behind him at current ADP who I would probably swing for instead......Diggs, Mclaurin, parker, hollywood, Chark, Deebo, Green, Edelman, Marvin, tons of rookies....

Edited by Stinkin Ref
2 minutes ago, Stinkin Ref said:

right....thats 62 yards a game and about a TD every third game.....I'd probably take a swing on a guy down the ADP list without the name recognition and shoot for upside

guys behind him at current ADP who I would probably swing for instead......Diggs, Mclaurin, parker, hollywood, Chark, Deebo, Green, Edelman, Marvin, tons of rookies....

He's got enough history that he's going to go pretty high in major drafts. you are probably better off with two higher ceiling, lower floor guys in the later rounds

2 hours ago, Stinkin Ref said:

I'm surprised that Hilton is going higher than many names on that list. I was hoping coming off a injury plagued down year he would be a bargain. I'd take half that list over him and add AJ Brown, Ridley, Woods, Sutton.

WR is crazy deep this year. Value is going to be the way to go.

1 hour ago, Wise Old Owl said:

I'm surprised that Hilton is going higher than many names on that list. I was hoping coming off a injury plagued down year he would be a bargain. I'd take half that list over him and add AJ Brown, Ridley, Woods, Sutton.

WR is crazy deep this year. Value is going to be the way to go.

according to FBG ADP PPR consensus....all of those guys are already going in front of him....TY going as WR23

3 hours ago, Stinkin Ref said:

according to FBG ADP PPR consensus....all of those guys are already going in front of him....TY going as WR23

Makes sense. I generally use Footballcalculator ADP in the offseason. I think it more accurately reflects the leagues I play in. I also had it set to non-ppr, which drastically changes Hilton's ADP. I'm still in offseason form.

• 1 month later...

Colts OC Nick Sirianni said T.Y. Hilton is "who this pass offense runs through.”

“I expect a great bounce back from a year he had a lot of injuries,” Sirianni said. “I expect the 2018 version of him. If T.Y. stays healthy, there’s no doubt that’s what we’ll see. … He’s still the main piece of this offense. T.Y. Hilton is who this pass offense runs through.” Hilton infamously recorded 76/1,270/7 receiving in Andrew Luck's final year before battling through a number of soft tissue injuries in his lone season with Jacoby Brissett. 31 in November and fighting for a long-term deal in his contract year, Hilton should open 2020 the healthiest he's been since late September. With little experience among the rest of the Colts' pass-catchers, the veteran wideout remains a shoo-in to lead the team in targets from Philip Rivers.

SOURCE: Jim Ayello on Twitter

Jul 20, 2020, 10:46 AM ET

• 2 weeks later...

Colts WR T.Y. Hilton (hamstring) said he expects to be back in action in a "couple days." 

In a call with reporters, Hilton laughed off suggestions that he'll continue to struggle with injuries. He's being drafted as the 24th wideout off the board. Philip Rivers and his penchant for chucking it downfield could make Hilton a value at that ADP, even in a run-heavy offense. 

SOURCE: Stephen Holder on Twitter

Aug 10, 2020, 12:29 PM ET

Colts OC Nick Sirianni expects "a great bounce-back year" from T.Y. Hilton.

Hilton battled soft tissue injuries in 2019, and he never was able to pull things together with Jacoby Brissett as his quarterback. Hilton claims that his hamstring will be fully ready to go in a "couple days" and that there's no reason to believe he'll be slowed down during the 2020 regular season. His offensive coordinate is equally as bullish. "He’s definitely still the main piece of this offense. T.Y. Hilton is who this pass offense runs through … things will be schemed to get him the football. I know he’s worked hard on his body and worked hard through the offseason. He’s our guy ... If he stays healthy, the sky is the limit, again, for him." Hilton needs to stay healthy to pay off his borderline WR2/3 average draft position, but he could return to every-week WR2 status if things break his way. Hilton is the WR23 in Rotoworld's premium staff rankings.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 10, 2020, 7:44 PM ET

When I read "soft tissue injuries" I start thinking of Arian foster.  I picked him up before he really emerged and saw that whole ride and it was sad to see him go from so dominant and so important to FF teams to just be reduced to a shell of himself.  I hope this isn't the path for Hilton because he is a lot of fun to watch play but I'm sure Hilton owners have kind of gotten that "woulda, coulda, shoulda" vibe the past few years.  

NFL training camp 2020: Tua gets to work, early injuries and birthday wishes for Jon Gruden

Excerpt:

Who needs a full offseason of working out together to work on chemistry? Evidently not new Colts starting quarterback Philip Rivers and receiver T.Y. Hilton. The two, together in their first practice in pads, looked like they had been teammates for quite some time the way they had it going during practice Monday. Rivers signed a one-year, $25 million contract with the Colts in March after 16 years with the Chargers. Coach Frank Reich said Hilton and Rivers were able to get in sync so quickly because they're both "instinctual, smart" football players. -- Mike Wells

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Sirianni On Replacing Trey Burton's Role, T.Y. Hilton's Big-Play Ability, Jacob Eason's Development

Excerpt:

» A long-bomb touchdown play to T.Y. Hilton on Saturday only confirmed what Sirianni already knew: Saturday's scrimmage produced a familiar sight: T.Y. Hilton catching a long bomb down the Lucas Oil Stadium sidelines and celebrating in the end zone after a big-play touchdown.

But that 47-yard touchdown pass from Philip Rivers to Hilton, for some, might've also been a confirmation that the veteran wide receiver, after two injury-plagued seasons, is perhaps back to his old tricks.

For Sirianni, however, the play was just a confirmation of what he already knew.

"It was great to see him go out there and out-run him, but I knew he was back," Sirianni said. "You see the burst he has, even if it's not a completion deep on a 50-yarder. My concern was not there — I still see the same T.Y. Hilton: explosive, fast, puts great feat into the defense."

Sirianni has maintained that the offense has always and will continue to run through Hilton.

"Sure it was great to see that play, (but) I don't know if my confidence could be any higher in T.Y. Hilton than it already was," he said.

"It was great to see him go out there and out-run him, but I knew he was back," Sirianni said. "You see the burst he has, even if it's not a completion deep on a 50-yarder. My concern was not there — I still see the same T.Y. Hilton: explosive, fast, puts great feat into the defense."

Sirianni has maintained that the offense has always and will continue to run through Hilton.

"Sure it was great to see that play, (but) I don't know if my confidence could be any higher in T.Y. Hilton than it already was," he said.

Kevin Bowen @KBowen1070

Hilton says the last time he felt this good physically was 2016—when he led the league in receiving.

https://twitter.com/kbowen1070/status/1304097815333867520?s=21

Joel A. Erickson @JoelAErickson

T.Y. Hilton says with Rivers finding him in the soft spots in zones, he thinks he might have a higher volume of catches.

https://twitter.com/joelaerickson/status/1304097272272220160?s=21

• Like 1