What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ spiller value (1 Viewer)

Spiller was essentially benched in the second half. He had two 13 yard carries at the begnning of the 3rd and was then sent to the bench, he received one more carry in the game that came during the 4th quarter.

I never questioned Buffalo using Jackson a lot - despite Spiller's talent. Seems like that keeps Spiller fresh.But here's a stat line from yesterday's Rams game I find vexing: Spiller had one target. One. What, this team is so talented they don't need Spiller's receiving skills? Seems to me that Spiller is very dangerous as a receiver, and I can't make an excuse as to why the coaching staff would ignore Spiller in the passing game.
They should at least be using him as KC used Charles with Thomas Jones: 10-15 carries, 5 targets. 8 touches? Gailey should be canned. Spiller is so much more productive than Jackson, that it likely would have changed the end result of the game.
Yes. And what bizarre to me is that Gailey knows he's on the hot seat. He's known it for weeks. So what does he have to lose by underusing Spiller? What's he saving Spiller for? If I were Gailey, I would have ridden Spiller into the ground. At least he'd have a chance to keep his job that way.

I never questioned Buffalo using Jackson a lot - despite Spiller's talent. Seems like that keeps Spiller fresh.

But here's a stat line from yesterday's Rams game I find vexing: Spiller had one target. One. What, this team is so talented they don't need Spiller's receiving skills? Seems to me that Spiller is very dangerous as a receiver, and I can't make an excuse as to why the coaching staff would ignore Spiller in the passing game.
Keeping him fresh implies that they are saving him for later in the game or for some other key moment(s). Despite his freshness, Spiller only got 1 carry in the 4th quarter (when they needed him most), 3 carries in the second half and no targets after the 1st quarter.

I never questioned Buffalo using Jackson a lot - despite Spiller's talent. Seems like that keeps Spiller fresh.But here's a stat line from yesterday's Rams game I find vexing: Spiller had one target. One. What, this team is so talented they don't need Spiller's receiving skills? Seems to me that Spiller is very dangerous as a receiver, and I can't make an excuse as to why the coaching staff would ignore Spiller in the passing game.
On the flip side, rookie WR T.J. Graham got 7 targets in the passing game. :lol:Both of geniuses in Buffalo, eh?

I never questioned Buffalo using Jackson a lot - despite Spiller's talent. Seems like that keeps Spiller fresh.

But here's a stat line from yesterday's Rams game I find vexing: Spiller had one target. One. What, this team is so talented they don't need Spiller's receiving skills? Seems to me that Spiller is very dangerous as a receiver, and I can't make an excuse as to why the coaching staff would ignore Spiller in the passing game.
Keeping him fresh implies that they are saving him for later in the game or for some other key moment(s). Despite his freshness, Spiller only got 1 carry in the 4th quarter (when they needed him most), 3 carries in the second half and no targets after the 1st quarter.
Yeah, how's that working out for Buffalo?

On the flip side, rookie WR T.J. Graham got 7 targets in the passing game. :lol: Both of geniuses in Buffalo, eh?
All I know is, when I see Spiller running in the open field, all I can think is: "Thank god I don't have to tackle him...Thank god I don't have to tackle him...Thank god I don't have to tackle him...Thank god I don't have to tackle him."

My point is they are not doing this to keep him fresh. What they are doing is inexplicable and their use of Jackson (and lack of use of Spiller) should be questioned.

I fully agree that Spiller is being grossly underused, but Fred is (was) at least very capable. Gailey's failures run much deeper than the lack of Spiller on the field.

My point is they are not doing this to keep him fresh. What they are doing is inexplicable and their use of Jackson (and lack of use of Spiller) should be questioned.
Oh, I agree.

I fully agree that Spiller is being grossly underused, but Fred is (was) at least very capable. Gailey's failures run much deeper than the lack of Spiller on the field.
Jackson deserves his playing time - there's no doubt. And while Buffalo has plenty of problems, not using your best player in the second half is a pretty huge problem.

Jackson deserves his playing time - there's no doubt. And while Buffalo has plenty of problems, not using your best player in the second half is a pretty huge problem.
No argument there.I could buy the previous week's argument that weather conditions (wind and rain) made Fred a better alternative, but no such weather conditions seemed to be in place yesterday.Gailey seems to have a lot of loyalty to Fred, and that's understood given how well he's played over the years. But that loyalty seems to have clouded his judgement for Spiller.Next year, at least a new coach won't have any loyalty to Fred.

No argument there.I could buy the previous week's argument that weather conditions (wind and rain) made Fred a better alternative, but no such weather conditions seemed to be in place yesterday.Gailey seems to have a lot of loyalty to Fred, and that's understood given how well he's played over the years. But that loyalty seems to have clouded his judgement for Spiller.Next year, at least a new coach won't have any loyalty to Fred.
Loyalty is an admirable trait in a human being, but it's not helping Gailey's coaching career so far.

Fred deserveD his playing time, sure, but he's not been nearly effective as last year. He plods and misses holes. He deserves 25-30% of the share of a backfield with Spiller. With no Spiller, sure, he's still capable of being a lead back, but you don't waste a top 5 talent like Spiller.

Rotoworld)WGR 550 Buffalo expects C.J. Spiller to be a workhorse this season.Analysis: Under the Chan Gailey regime, Spiller averaged just 12.3 touches per game over the last two years. New coach Doug Marrone figures to change that. "This year, when we hear 'CJ needed a breather' come out of a coach's mouth, he'll most likely be right," writes Sal
:excited: :clap:

Rotoworld)WGR 550 Buffalo expects C.J. Spiller to be a workhorse this season.Analysis: Under the Chan Gailey regime, Spiller averaged just 12.3 touches per game over the last two years. New coach Doug Marrone figures to change that. "This year, when we hear 'CJ needed a breather' come out of a coach's mouth, he'll most likely be right," writes Sal
I think Spiller is a lock for more touches. That said, I hate these rotoworld articles. Tell me why I should care what WGR 550 Buffalo thinks, I why it's news.

Not aimed at you, Gian. Rather at Rotoworld.

I think Spiller is a lock for more touches. That said, I hate these rotoworld articles. Tell me why I should care what WGR 550 Buffalo thinks, I why it's news.

Not aimed at you, Gian. Rather at Rotoworld.
There's a quote in there from the new coach. That quote says it all. I agree that there's tons of fluff and analysis that doesn't have much basis posted a ton. I quoted that because of what Marrone said and it should make Spiller owners quite pleased.

There's a quote in there from the new coach. That quote says it all. I agree that there's tons of fluff and analysis that doesn't have much basis posted a ton. I quoted that because of what Marrone said and it should make Spiller owners quite pleased.
Thanks, I misread. I thought the quote was from Sal, not Marrone.

ETA: Actually, now I'm not sure which it is. Damn Rotoworld.

Last edited by a moderator:

The quote is from Sal. It's pure speculation. He's probably right, but that isn't from Marrone in any way. With the way Marrone and Hackett have kept a lid on what they plan to do on offense and defense, I doubt we'll have a good grasp of exactly what they will do until Week 1 on the field.http://www.wgr550.com/pages/16228483.php?contentType=4&contentId=12955241

The quote is from Sal. It's pure speculation. He's probably right, but that isn't from Marrone in any way. With the way Marrone and Hackett have kept a lid on what they plan to do on offense and defense, I doubt we'll have a good grasp of exactly what they will do until Week 1 on the field.http://www.wgr550.com/pages/16228483.php?contentType=4&contentId=12955241
My fault, I guess I was the one that misread.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207739/article/doug-marrone-cj-spiller-can-be-bills-featured-back

Doug Marrone: C.J. Spiller can be Bills' featured back

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Much to the dismay of fantasy football owners, Buffalo Bills running back C.J. Spiller was underused in former head coach Chan Gailey's offense until the second half of last season.

Nothing was more aggravating than watching Spiller waste away on the sidelines every time the offense landed in the red zone, the most important 20 yards on the field.

Bills fans shouldn't have to worry about pulling out their hair in frustration under new coach Doug Marrone, who has no plans to pull his best offensive player in short-yardage, third-down or red-zone situations.

"My philosophy's always been if someone starts off and they're running well, keep feeding them the ball," Marrone said, via The Buffalo News. Asked if he shared Gailey's reservations about using Spiller in certain situations, Marrone shook his head and pointed to the running back's "great ability to get outside and also run inside."

Spiller averaged just 12.3 touches per game over the last two years under the Gailey regime. Last season, he still became the first Bills player to gain at least 1,700 yards from scrimmage since Travis Henry in 2002, accomplishing the feat on 138 fewer touches.

The 2012 Bills' per-carry average of 5.052 ranked 32nd in NFL history. They figure to continue to emphasize the run under a coach whose Syracuse offenses had more rushing than pass attempts in each of his four seasons.

Marrone and offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett are installing a fast-paced, no-huddle offense designed to create more possessions and score more points. Backfield partner Fred Jackson is 32 years old and coming off a season-ending knee injury. The offensive lines of new position coach Pat Morris have blocked for the NFL's No. 1 rushing team three times in his 12 seasons.

Spiller's explosive playmaking ability jumped off the game tape as much as any back in the NFL last season. He finished first in Pro Football Focus' Elusive Rating, third in Breakaway Percentage and fourth in Forced Missed Tackles while averaging 6.0 yards per carry.

All signs point to a monster 2013 season for Spiller if he can stay healthy as Marrone's featured back.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

I see this a lot about no margin for error at top 5. Very few players have any margin for error at #5, and that is usually the #1, #2, #3 and #4 players. You have to put someone at #5, and if you'd rather have Spiller over the other remaining RBs after the top 4, then you treat Spiller as the #5. Spiller imo has as much upside as anyone after the top 4 (or anyone in the top 4 for that matter) and all of the RBs after the top 4 have equal or greater downside, so #5 is about right for me. This is not to say that market is at top 5, yet, so getting him at RB7-RB10 value would present an opportunity for profit which will be realized in the near future.
The more you pay on top of market value, the less margin for error there is. If you're wrong - and we all are, a lot - you surrendered massive value. Nobody's hit rate is anything close to 100%, and smart owners realize that, and act accordingly.If you pay for Spiller like he is top 5, here are your scenerios:1. You are right: Spiller is worth what you paid for him; even trade.2. You are wrong: Spiller is not worth what you paid for him; you lose.
I am not advocating paying top 5 right now if his market value is much lower (which I dont think it is). I am "ranking" him in the top 5. I think JPeso was saying the same thing (at least thats how I interpreted him saying that market was much lower but that he is actually top 5).
Right, last offseason, you wouldn't pay RB5 price for spiller last year because you wouldn't have had to do that (unless you played against someone who didn't think the secret was a secret). But at RB15 cost, certainly, or..what if you paid RB10 and put your league in a tizzy with a lopsided deal out of favor. Spiller is an interesting one because of the time he has been chained up; he has presented several opportunities for a call for or against his value:

- rookie draft over Mathews

- rookie draft over Best

- anytime during his rookie year

- year 1 offseason

- anytime during his second year

- year 2 offseason

Spiller can either win you titles right now and next and next and who knows, or you can sell him to someone for (rightfully so) big money if your team can hack losing a lord like that.

So Fred Jackson is going to have no role?
I'm sure he'll get carries, but the torch has clearly been passed. Fred is on the wrong side of 30, coming off two injuries, and perhaps most importantly, the team is not coached by Chan Gailey anymore. Marrone has no prior allegiance to him.

I'm sure he'll get carries, but the torch has clearly been passed. Fred is on the wrong side of 30, coming off two injuries, and perhaps most importantly, the team is not coached by Chan Gailey anymore. Marrone has no prior allegiance to him.
As a Spiller owner, I'm kinda still forced to roster F Jax.....but if I weren't a Spiller owner I'm not sure F Jax should even be rostered in a dynasty league.

As a Spiller owner, I'm kinda still forced to roster F Jax.....but if I weren't a Spiller owner I'm not sure F Jax should even be rostered in a dynasty league.
i go back and forth on rostering fred. he has been offered to me for late 3rds this off-season and i've passed. i'd roster if free, but wouldn't pay for him.

i go back and forth on rostering fred. he has been offered to me for late 3rds this off-season and i've passed. i'd roster if free, but wouldn't pay for him.
I feel the same way. I kind have to find the roster room for him as a Spiller owner, but having to roster 2 RBs from the same team on a 31 man roster full IDP league gets tough - even more so when you're also rostering J Stew and D Will.

I feel the same way. I kind have to find the roster room for him as a Spiller owner, but having to roster 2 RBs from the same team on a 31 man roster full IDP league gets tough - even more so when you're also rostering J Stew and D Will.
As a fellow Spiller owner, I will probably try to get Fred on my roster as insurance. But I don't view him as highly as previous years (for obvious reasons), and I won't draft him as highly as I did Spiller last year when I owned Fred.

As a fellow Spiller owner, I will probably try to get Fred on my roster as insurance. But I don't view him as highly as previous years (for obvious reasons), and I won't draft him as highly as I did Spiller last year when I owned Fred.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1102782/fred-Jackson

Fred Jackson is 32 years old, and he is coming off his second consecutive season limited from injuries. He still is a handcuff to Spiller, but isn't the threat to take the lion's share of the carries that he once was.

Marrone will play hot hand at RB: Doug Marrone said he believes in playing the hot hand when it comes to running backs, not pulling them off the field in certain situations because of size or ability. That's a change for the Bills as the previous coaching staff preferred Fred Jackson in certain situations over C.J. Spiller. "We have two backs that can produce results," Marrone said. "C.J. has great ability to get outside and also run inside. I see C.J. Spiller, from the time I've been here, has worked extremely hard to really step his game up, and that's exciting. I see Fred as a veteran player really work hard and look good. I think we have an opportunity to have two backs back there that can be productive, and sometimes we've had them in the same backfield together in this camp."

(Updated 5/29/13)

Jackson could see increased work in games he starts off well in but his age and wear-and-tear might have caught up with him last season. Injuries limited him to just 10 games for the second consecutive year. Between his NFL and UIFL career Jackson has 1,563 carries and will be 32 when this coming season starts. Without any hint from the Bills the hunch is that Jackson will play second-fiddle to C.J. Spiller. It's probably best to aim for Jackson as a quality reserve rusher on Draft Day assuming his situation doesn't change.

(Updated 5/29/13).

Rotoworld:

C.J. Spiller confirmed on NFL Network that he expects more carries this season.
The Bills are planning to get Spiller more involved on offense, both in the passing game and in short-yardage situations. "We’re going to try to use me as much as possible and not let teams just get one bead on me saying I can just run the ball," Spiller said. "I’ll be utilized in space, in the slot or whatever the case may be to try to help us find those mismatches and take advantage of them."

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

The Bills are planning to get Spiller more involved on offense, both in the passing game and in short-yardage situations. "We’re going to try to use me as much as possible and not let teams just get one bead on me saying I can just run the ball," Spiller said. "I’ll be utilized in space, in the slot or whatever the case may be to try to help us find those mismatches and take advantage of them."

thanks for posting. expecting big things!

Rotoworld:

How refreshing would it be to see a team maximize their use of a talented RB instead of trying to find ways not to pay him?

Rotoworld:

How refreshing would it be to see a team maximize their use of a talented RB instead of trying to find ways not to pay him?
That'll be next season... (on a five year contract, 2013 is year four)

Users who are viewing this thread