What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please come back to reality Mike... (1 Viewer)

Like Drew Brees over the past year, it seems Mr. Vick is developing Favre-like denial symptoms...http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/15/vick-says-critics-of-his-passing-dont-know-what-theyre-talking-about/

Is this the beginning of the end for Vick? Will we see Foles this year due to Vick's play (not injury)?
Vick's problem is that he's looking for chunks of yards every play when sometimes he just needs to take off with the ball and run for little bits of 4-5 yds and slide or get out of bounds. It's not like he's getting pressured every play. His problem is that he thinks he needs to get a first down on every play. Once he learns to dink and dunk it more it will open up opportunities for big plays.

Like Drew Brees over the past year, it seems Mr. Vick is developing Favre-like denial symptoms...http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/15/vick-says-critics-of-his-passing-dont-know-what-theyre-talking-about/

Is this the beginning of the end for Vick? Will we see Foles this year due to Vick's play (not injury)?
Vick's problem is that he's looking for chunks of yards every play when sometimes he just needs to take off with the ball and run for little bits of 4-5 yds and slide or get out of bounds. It's not like he's getting pressured every play. His problem is that he thinks he needs to get a first down on every play. Once he learns to dink and dunk it more it will open up opportunities for big plays.
If the dog isn't house trained by now...

His fantasy value comes from running. 2010 aside he's never been more than a average passer. I'm not sure why people deny this fact.

Vick is garbage. 2010 was an anamoly. He lacks the consistency to be a franchise QB. RG3 will have the career that Vick should have had.

Coming from a Cowboys fan.

Vick is garbage. 2010 was an anamoly. He lacks the consistency to be a franchise QB. RG3 will have the career that Vick should have had. Coming from a Cowboys fan.
I agree. The reason may drafted Vick was because of the perceived upside he brings with his ground game. Now, he can't scramble without breaking a rib. There's no upside here, just a mediocre passer with above average weapons.

Vick is garbage. 2010 was an anamoly. He lacks the consistency to be a franchise QB. RG3 will have the career that Vick should have had. Coming from a Cowboys fan.
If your team was in a win now position, what QBs would you want before Vick?Not saying I agree or disagree, just curious.

I agree. He needs to get the ball out of his hand

Vick is garbage. 2010 was an anamoly. He lacks the consistency to be a franchise QB. RG3 will have the career that Vick should have had.

If your team was in a win now position, what QBs would you want before Vick?

Not saying I agree or disagree, just curious.
In real life?....Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Romo, Rivers, Flacco, Stafford, Both Mannings, Big Ben, Schaub. Maybe Cutler, Newton, and...gulp...Bradford. So 12 for sure, and maybe 15.... And this is especially considering the offensive talent around him. The Eagles absolutely do NOT need there QB to be making plays with his feet with McCoy, Jackson and Maclin at the disposal. They need a field general who stands in the pocket... He would be much more valuable on a team like the Browns or Dolphins, were talent is thin and the ability to scramble could actually improve the teams chances of winning.

In Fantasy: Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Newton, Stafford and maybe Ryan (high on him this year)....If it was just for one game and I was guaranteed he would be healthy for its entirety, than he would be right at the top with Rodgers.

Last edited by a moderator:

In real life?....Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Romo, Rivers, Flacco, Stafford, Both Mannings, Big Ben, Schaub. Maybe Cutler, Newton, and...gulp...Bradford. So 12 for sure, and maybe 15.

In Fantasy: Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Newton, Stafford and maybe Ryan (high on him this year)....If it was just for one game and I was guaranteed he would be healthy for its entirety, than he would be right at the top with Rodgers.
...just wow to Bradford. Wow.

In real life?....Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Romo, Rivers, Flacco, Stafford, Both Mannings, Big Ben, Schaub. Maybe Cutler, Newton, and...gulp...Bradford. So 12 for sure, and maybe 15.... And this is especially considering the offensive talent around him. The Eagles absolutely do NOT need there QB to be making plays with his feet with McCoy, Jackson and Maclin at the disposal. They need a field general who stands in the pocket... He would be much more valuable on a team like the Browns or Dolphins, were talent is thin and the ability to scramble could actually improve the teams chances of winning.

My list would be shorter in real life and longer in fantasy than yours.

In real life?....Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Romo, Rivers, Flacco, Stafford, Both Mannings, Big Ben, Schaub. Maybe Cutler, Newton, and...gulp...Bradford. So 12 for sure, and maybe 15.

Like I alluded to, I know thats an against-the-grain sentiment, but this year will fully confirm that feeling. Bradford has almost zero receiving talent (Quick does not count at this point) and an RB who has high miles, and yet still exudes great pocket presence, poise, and accuracy.... That aside, there really is no room for disagreement on the other 12-14--- the truth is Vick is a middling quarterback.

I agree with this. Vick has been vastly overrated since his jail time.Stick a fork in him. He's done.

Like I alluded to, I know thats an against-the-grain sentiment, but this year will fully confirm that feeling. Bradford has almost zero receiving talent (Quick does not count at this point) and an RB who has high miles, and yet still exudes great pocket presence, poise, and accuracy.... That aside, there really is no room for disagreement on the other 12-14--- the truth is Vick is a middling quarterback.
Telling people there is no room for disagreement with what you believe is kinda ridiculous.

I'm with you- the book hasn't been written on Bradford yet, but it's another thing to say that he's better than Vick at this point. I think Vick's going through a bad stretch at the moment, and I think it's highly possible that we could see a return to his effective pocket passing form in 2010.Not to mention, Vick never had much receiving talent as the starter in Atlanta (Alge Crumplar and.....) but still led them to a couple postseason berths.

The eagles always seem to play to the level of their competition. It would not surprise me at all to see them hang 30+ on this supposedly rejuvenated Baltimore defense.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
'wodahSShadow said:

{???}Wait, explain the Brees part?
The little off-season crusade he went on denying allegations that his own coaches already admitted to. You know, that thing called Bounty Gate.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
'wodahSShadow said:

The little off-season crusade he went on denying allegations that his own coaches already admitted to. You know, that thing called Bounty Gate.
That's hilarious. I won't derail this discussion promise but comparing a player's opinions about NFL suspensions to a player ignoring criticism of his play is pretty ridiculous.How about the Brett Favre part? Favre was pretty damned good right up until the last year, when was he supposed to start listening to critics? After he had just led his team to a conference championship game OT loss of 3 points with an MVP-quality season?

ETA: Now what has happened to Vick is an interesting question. His game vs Washington 2 years ago was one of the greatest performances in the NFL history.

As an Eagles fan living in Philly, I don't think Vick will be benched for Foles unless the Eagles are out of the playoff hunt. Otherwise, it'll only happen if Vick continues to play just as piss poorly as he did in week 1, which is highly unlikely (IMO).

When have you EVER heard any sports star say that the sportswriters and pundits are right and that they're going to change the way they play because of what the media says? The perspective of the fan is sometimes a very narrow one.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
'wodahSShadow said:

That's hilarious. I won't derail this discussion promise but comparing a player's opinions about NFL suspensions to a player ignoring criticism of his play is pretty ridiculous.How about the Brett Favre part? Favre was pretty damned good right up until the last year, when was he supposed to start listening to critics? After he had just led his team to a conference championship game OT loss of 3 points with an MVP-quality season?

ETA: Now what has happened to Vick is an interesting question. His game vs Washington 2 years ago was one of the greatest performances in the NFL history.
No. It's about comparing both to the thread's title-- and needing a reality check. Brees needs a reality check if he actually thinks 1) bounty gate did not happen and/or 2) if he is going to convince everyone that it did not happen, albeit Payton and Williams already coming clean about it. Mike Vick needs a reality check if he thinks throwing for 3000 yards is any measure of 1) being a "pocket passer" and/or 2) being a good quarterback.

'chinawildman said:
The eagles always seem to play to the level of their competition. It would not surprise me at all to see them hang 30+ on this supposedly rejuvenated Baltimore defense.
:confused:2011 Browns defense: 307 points allowed(5th), 2959 passing yards allowed(2nd), 16 pass TDs allowed(4th)

'Chazzhawk said:
'wodahSShadow said:
'Mr. Soup Nazi said:
:lmao: :lmao:

One game, gents. One bad game. Let's revisit this after week 2, mmkay?
Did you watch last season? To my eyes, Vick has consistenly and continually regressed since the 1st half of the 2010 season.
Can't go by last season, the entire Eagles team was basically a train wreck minus Mccoy
PFF ranked the 2011 Eagles o-line as the best in the league and Jason Peters as the best o-lineman in the league.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
'wodahSShadow said:

No. It's about comparing both to the thread's title-- and needing a reality check. Brees needs a reality check if he actually thinks 1) bounty gate did not happen and/or 2) if he is going to convince everyone that it did not happen, albeit Payton and Williams already coming clean about it. Mike Vick needs a reality check if he thinks throwing for 3000 yards is any measure of 1) being a "pocket passer" and/or 2) being a good quarterback.
As to Brees: Any person can have an opinion on any given public event at any time. And Favre?

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
<br>

'wodahSShadow said:
<br><u>Like Drew Brees over the past year</u>, it seems Mr. Vick is developing Favre-like denial symptoms...<a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/15/vick-says-critics-of-his-passing-dont-know-what-theyre-talking-about/" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/15/vick-says-critics-of-his-passing-dont-know-what-theyre-talking-about/<br></a><br>Is this the beginning of the end for Vick?  Will we see Foles this year due to Vick's <i>play (</i>not injury)?<br>
<br><br>{???}<br><br><b><font size="3">Wait, explain the Brees part?</font></b><br>
<br><br>The little off-season crusade he went on denying allegations that his own <i>coaches </i>already admitted to. You know, that thing called Bounty Gate.<br>
<br><br>That's hilarious. <b>I won't derail this discussion promise but comparing a player's opinions about NFL suspensions to a player ignoring criticism of his play is pretty ridiculous.</b><br><br>How about the Brett Favre part? Favre was pretty damned good right up until the last year, when was he supposed to start listening to critics? After he had just led his team to a conference championship game OT loss of 3 points with an MVP-quality season?<br><br>ETA: Now what has happened to Vick is an interesting question. His game vs Washington 2 years ago was one of the greatest performances in the NFL history.<br>
<br><br>No. It's about comparing both to the thread's title-- and needing a reality check.  Brees needs a reality check if he actually thinks 1) bounty gate did not happen and/or 2) if he is going to convince everyone that it did not happen, albeit Payton and Williams already coming clean about it.  Mike Vick needs a reality check if he thinks throwing for 3000 yards is any measure of 1) being a "pocket passer" and/or 2) being a good quarterback.<br>
<br><br>As to Brees: <b><font size="2">Any person can have an opinion on any given public event at any time. </font></b><br><br><b>And Favre?</b><br>
<div><br>What?!?  So, If I rob a bank with 3 others and we all get caught red-handed, and they confess and I claim innocence, does my opinion weigh/count as much as theirs<i>?  </i>Opinions are not all on equal footing. Holocausts deniers "opinions" about that event are not on equal footing with those that believe it happened. Why? <i>Because there is absolute proof that the Holocaust existed.  </i> Just like the inherent proof of Payton and Williams admitting to having bounties.  They weren't held hostage and tortured, they admitted freely to the claims by the NFL. Case closed. <div><br><div>Favre mentioning that he only kept on coming back to play the game for the love of it during the last few off-seasons of his career and then admitting this: <a href="http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/07/brett-favre-money-was-too-good-not-to-play-in-2010/1#.UFUIe42PW1A" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">http://content.usato.../1#.UFUIe42PW1A</a></div></div>

</div>

'Chazzhawk said:
'wodahSShadow said:
'Mr. Soup Nazi said:
:lmao: :lmao:

One game, gents. One bad game. Let's revisit this after week 2, mmkay?
Did you watch last season? To my eyes, Vick has consistenly and continually regressed since the 1st half of the 2010 season.
Can't go by last season, the entire Eagles team was basically a train wreck minus Mccoy
PFF ranked the 2011 Eagles o-line as the best in the league and Jason Peters as the best o-lineman in the league.
they had the Saints #1, Carl Nicks was ranked higher than Peters, and their ranking system seems pretty arbitrary .https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/23/ranking-the-2011-offensive-lines-part-2/

'chinawildman said:
:confused:2011 Browns defense: 307 points allowed(5th), 2959 passing yards allowed(2nd), 16 pass TDs allowed(4th)
Yes I can see it now... Vick trying to pump up his teammates on the sidelines before the game by reciting statistical rankings from the year before. Face it, nobody has a matchup with the Browns circled on their schedule.

'wodahSShadow said:
'TheLastDispatch said:
'sspunisher said:

For me I would take out Schaub, Newton, Cutler, Bradford, and probably Romo because he just seems to choke in the big games.

'chinawildman said:
:goodposting: I am not sure if Vick will be a bust or not, but can we wait and see on 2 things. First, if Vick keeps this up, it was one game and maybe he put too much pressure on himself and tried to do too much. Second, maybe the Browns defense will be legit this year and make a lot of quarterbacks look bad. The Browns had a lot of time to game plan for Vick and the Eagles, from this point on teams will get about a week to game plan for a team.

How come nobody has made a big deal about how bad Stafford sucked against the Rams in what was an equally if not worse performance?

It's easy for ppl to hate on Vick, and the media knows this, and it's all about the ratings. Try not to be herded so easily.

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
<br>

'wodahSShadow said:
<br><u>Like Drew Brees over the past year</u>, it seems Mr. Vick is developing Favre-like denial symptoms...<a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/15/vick-says-critics-of-his-passing-dont-know-what-theyre-talking-about/" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/15/vick-says-critics-of-his-passing-dont-know-what-theyre-talking-about/<br></a><br>Is this the beginning of the end for Vick?  Will we see Foles this year due to Vick's <i>play (</i>not injury)?<br>
<br><br>{???}<br><br><b><font size="3">Wait, explain the Brees part?</font></b><br>
<br><br>The little off-season crusade he went on denying allegations that his own <i>coaches </i>already admitted to. You know, that thing called Bounty Gate.<br>
<br><br>That's hilarious. <b>I won't derail this discussion promise but comparing a player's opinions about NFL suspensions to a player ignoring criticism of his play is pretty ridiculous.</b><br><br>How about the Brett Favre part? Favre was pretty damned good right up until the last year, when was he supposed to start listening to critics? After he had just led his team to a conference championship game OT loss of 3 points with an MVP-quality season?<br><br>ETA: Now what has happened to Vick is an interesting question. His game vs Washington 2 years ago was one of the greatest performances in the NFL history.<br>
<br><br>No. It's about comparing both to the thread's title-- and needing a reality check.  Brees needs a reality check if he actually thinks 1) bounty gate did not happen and/or 2) if he is going to convince everyone that it did not happen, albeit Payton and Williams already coming clean about it.  Mike Vick needs a reality check if he thinks throwing for 3000 yards is any measure of 1) being a "pocket passer" and/or 2) being a good quarterback.<br>
<br><br>As to Brees: <b><font size="2">Any person can have an opinion on any given public event at any time. </font></b><br><br><b>And Favre?</b><br>
<div><br>What?!?  So, If I rob a bank with 3 others and we all get caught red-handed, and they confess and I claim innocence, does my opinion weigh/count as much as theirs<i>?  </i>Opinions are not all on equal footing. Holocausts deniers "opinions" about that event are not on equal footing with those that believe it happened. Why? <i>Because there is absolute proof that the Holocaust existed.  </i> Just like the inherent proof of Payton and Williams admitting to having bounties.  They weren't held hostage and tortured, they admitted freely to the claims by the NFL. Case closed. <div><br><div>Favre mentioning that he only kept on coming back to play the game for the love of it during the last few off-seasons of his career and then admitting this: <a href="http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/07/brett-favre-money-was-too-good-not-to-play-in-2010/1#.UFUIe42PW1A" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">http://content.usato.../1#.UFUIe42PW1A</a></div></div>

</div>
Did you just bring Holocaust denial into a FF forum? Man oh man.

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
<br>

'wodahSShadow said:

</div>
Did you just bring Holocaust denial into a FF forum? Man oh man.
your right, that completely negates any of the sound points I made...

It's easy for ppl to hate on Vick, and the media knows this, and it's all about the ratings. Try not to be herded so easily.
I've never been a big Vick fan but I agree a lot of this strikes me as over-reacting. The Browns had a good defense last season and Haden is an elite cover corner. I'm not absolving Vick for his generally poor Week 1 performance but the Browns aren't a joke defensively with Haden. I don't expect Vick to go off tomorrow against the Ravens but a lot of what I saw from him in Week 1 struck me as a guy who needed more preseason reps than he got. He looked rusty and out of sync with his receivers.

How come nobody has made a big deal about how bad Stafford sucked against the Rams in what was an equally if not worse performance?It's easy for ppl to hate on Vick, and the media knows this, and it's all about the ratings. Try not to be herded so easily.
Because Detroit plays down to their competition. Stafford had 4 or 5 games last year with 2 or 3 picks in the first half but came back and lead the team to victory. Dallas, Carolina to name 2 of them

How come nobody has made a big deal about how bad Stafford sucked against the Rams in what was an equally if not worse performance?

Because Detroit plays down to their competition. Stafford had 4 or 5 games last year with 2 or 3 picks in the first half but came back and lead the team to victory.

Dallas, Carolina to name 2 of them
Isn't that exactly what Vick did against the Browns?

Because Detroit plays down to their competition. Stafford had 4 or 5 games last year with 2 or 3 picks in the first half but came back and lead the team to victory.

Yeah, but he's Michael Vick!

dYes but Stafford did it while leading his team back and the defense wasn't very good, not to mention he put up good fantasy days doing it, which is all a lot of people remember.

Eagles fan here. I agree that the Eagles play down to the level of their competition. One of their consistent problems under Reid is their inability to put their boot on the throat of lesser competition, a la Belichick. Vick is just not that good of a passer. But with this team, you don't need that good of a passer. You just need someone to not make mistakes, which Vick does.

QBs I'd take over Vick for just this year (real life): Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Stafford, Romo, Schaub, Manning, Manning, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Newton, Flacco

Guys I'd take over Vick for multiple years: All of the above plus Dalton, Freeman, Ponder, Luck, RG3

Look at Vick's entire career. Early 2010 was an aberration. Teams figured him out and he couldn't adjust. He'll never be a pocket passer.

I think Vick could help most teams in the league win, but you have to know how to use him. Essentially you need 2 starting QBs on your team. You tell Vick to go out and throw it around, run, do whatever he wants. If it isn't working or he gets hurt, put in the other guy. If your team gets a big lead, put in the other guy. If Vick sulks and doesn't like being subbed out, put in the other guy. A real QBBC situation, but with good QBs.

I think Vick could help most teams in the league win, but you have to know how to use him. Essentially you need 2 starting QBs on your team. You tell Vick to go out and throw it around, run, do whatever he wants. If it isn't working or he gets hurt, put in the other guy. If your team gets a big lead, put in the other guy. If Vick sulks and doesn't like being subbed out, put in the other guy. A real QBBC situation, but with good QBs.
This, much like communism, will never succeed in real life.

<div><br>What?!?  So, If I rob a bank with 3 others and we all get caught red-handed, and they confess and I claim innocence, does my opinion weigh/count as much as theirs<i>?  </i>Opinions are not all on equal footing. Holocausts deniers "opinions" about that event are not on equal footing with those that believe it happened. Why? <i>Because there is absolute proof that the Holocaust existed.  </i> Just like the inherent proof of Payton and Williams admitting to having bounties.  They weren't held hostage and tortured, they admitted freely to the claims by the NFL. Case closed. <div><br><div>Favre mentioning that he only kept on coming back to play the game for the love of it during the last few off-seasons of his career and then admitting this: <a href="http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/07/brett-favre-money-was-too-good-not-to-play-in-2010/1#.UFUIe42PW1A" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">http://content.usato.../1#.UFUIe42PW1A</a>

</div></div>

</div>
:lmao: </div>

Users who are viewing this thread