Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Matthew Stafford

Matthew Stafford  

519 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Saboo said:

Anybody else think Stafford is a great buy low option considering that he now has Golladay back and healthy?  Let’s not forget that he was near elite last year when healthy and has quite an easy schedule over the next several weeks.

As much as I hate the lions, this is their m.o.  Suck for a few games and then show flashes that gets fans back on the bandwagon. And then go back to sucking when it counts toward playoff time. But these next couple games figure as that middle part.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol.

I will die on the hill that Stafford is a very good QB held back by an awful team. 

Funny because after his first 2 seasons people were wondering if Stafford was made of glass.

very questionable decision making in the RZ this year

IDK seems like a few years ago he was being unfairly criticized locally - he's never been their biggest problem

rn it's so obvious the team is going in the wrong direction (and he did play well for half a season in 2019) he's being given a pass

they have to get MJJ going and while the production has been VG I don't understand why Hock is still only seeing 4-5 targets a week

the next couple games will confirm they are headed nowhere, hope to see a lot of TJ and an increased workload for Swift in the second half of the season

fantasy wise I don't think Bevell will ever take him back to the volume stat stuffer he once was, and his efficiency is not as good since JBC left - still a FF high end QB2 in my mind

23 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

fantasy wise I don't think Bevell will ever take him back to the volume stat stuffer he once was, and his efficiency is not as good since JBC left - still a FF high end QB2 in my mind

His 8-game season last year, prorated, would have been on track for his best fantasy season since 2011 (arguably his best ever depending on your scoring system).

23 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

His 8-game season last year, prorated, would have been on track for his best fantasy season since 2011 (arguably his best ever depending on your scoring system).

Indeed, was playing at an MVP level

Though leading every game and going 3-4-1 probably isn't the stuff MVPs are made of, he was at a high level

But I'm just not a fan of Darrell Bevell in general; probably a reflection of my overall frustration with the Quinn/Patricia era

It is maddening to all Lions fans they sunk so much capital into the draft at RB (questionable strategy) and then sign a 35-year old off the street in the last week of camp who is better than anyone they had on the roster

All that said, logically they should be playing from behind enough to make Stafford a decent play. Just keep in mind that hasn't been the reality at all. The Lions have lost 12/13 and led in all of them except once. They have blown six straight games in which they had double digit leads (three this season.) So unless those patterns change, don't expect Blake Bortles circa 2015 - behind every week, throwing for 350+ with 3-5 passing TDs.

In last 16 starts, Matthew standard stats are 4,207 yards with 30-8 TD/INT. Pretty much the same thing he has been most of his career - rarely in the top 5 conversation, probably top third with plenty of weeks where he'll be middle of the pack.

Edited by BobbyLayne
26 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Indeed, was playing at an MVP level

Though leading every game and going 3-4-1 probably isn't the stuff MVPs are made of, he was at a high level

But I'm just not a fan of Darrell Bevell in general; probably a reflection of my overall frustration with the Quinn/Patricia era

It is maddening to all Lions fans they sunk so much capital into the draft at RB (questionable strategy) and then sign a 35-year old off the street in the last week of camp who is better than anyone they had on the roster

All that said, logically they should be playing from behind enough to make Stafford a decent play. Just keep in mind that hasn't been the reality at all. The Lions have lost 12/13 and led in all of them except once. They have blown six straight games in which they had double digit leads (three this season.) So unless those patterns change, don't expect Blake Bortles circa 2015 - behind every week, throwing for 350+ with 3-5 passing TDs.

In last 16 starts, Matthew standard stats are 4,207 yards with 30-8 TD/INT. Pretty much the same thing he has been most of his career - rarely in the top 5 conversation, probably top third with plenty of weeks where he'll be middle of the pack.

At no point was I suggesting that the Lions or good.  Or that Stafford is elite.

As a Green Bay fan, the status quo in Detroit is great.

Matthew Stafford completed 24-of-42 passes for 336 yards with three touchdowns and an interception in Week 8 against the Colts.

He also lost a fumble and took five sacks. Stafford's interception was a pick-six. It was a rough showing, though he salvaged his day in garbage time. Stafford had two red-zone touchdowns to Marvin Jones, and checked down to Kerryon Johnson for his other score. He was playing without Kenny Golladay (hip) in the second half, something that will be worth monitoring this week. Stafford will remain a QB2 for a Week 9 matchup with the Vikings.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman
4 minutes ago, Mag1234 said:

If he is just in close contact with someone, is he eligible to play on Sunday? I don't know the Covid rules for the "close proximity" scenario.

Unknown at this time of it was a positive test or close proximity. The only Lions player on the Covid list in the last 3 months is LB Jarrad Davis, and that was yesterday.

Second time Staff has been on the list; false positive test back in early August.

Stafford's wife, Kelly, said Thursday in a story on her personal Instagram account that the quarterback and the rest of his family has remained COVID-19 negative through two rounds of testing.

ANALYSIS
The Lions placed Stafford on the reserve/COVID-19 list Wednesday, but his wife's comments indicate that the quarterback didn't test positive for the coronavirus and was instead deemed a high-risk contact of someone who did. Because he was placed on the list, Stafford still won't be eligible for activation until Sunday, assuming he continues to test negative in each of the upcoming days. That theoretically leaves the door open for Stafford to start Sunday's game in Minnesota, in which case the Lions would have to arrange private travel for him. Additionally, since Stafford is only able to take part in virtual meetings this week rather than appearing in practice, fantasy managers may justifiably have some reservations about using him, despite a favorable matchup versus one of the NFL's worst pass defenses. Chase Daniel would draw the Week 9 start if the Lions elect to delay Stafford's activation until after Sunday.

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=5971

Lions activated QB Matthew Stafford from the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

This was the expectation all along. It's not exactly ideal that Stafford was unable to practice this week, but missing Kenny Golladay (hip) is his biggest concern for a plus matchup with the Vikings. Stafford will have to rely on T.J. Hockenson, Marvin Jones and Marvin Hall for big plays. Despite missing his alpha wideout, Stafford remains on the QB1/2 borderline because of the sorry state of the Vikings' defense. 

Nov 7, 2020, 4:09 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Matthew Stafford will play and start in Week 9 against the Vikings after testing negative for COVID-19.

Stafford was activated from the reserve/COVID-19 list on Saturday and has returned negative tests throughout the week. He did not practice during the week but has over a decade of practices under his belt so missing a few days shouldn't be an issue. He will be without Kenny Golladay (hip) this week but still faces the third-worst defense by passing yards allowed. Stafford slots in as a low-end QB1 this week.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 8, 2020, 8:49 AM ET

PFF DET Lions @PF_Lions

There is no denying Matthew Stafford's comfort with Kenny Golladay in 2020

Stafford in games Golladay finished the game:
73.5 Passing Grade
100.9 Passer Rating
0.8% Turnover Worthy Play %

Stafford in games without Golladay finishing:
56.2 Passing Grade
85.1 PR
5.4% TWP %

https://twitter.com/pff_lions/status/1327378963920990213?s=21

Matthew Stafford completed 24-of-33 passes for 276 yards and three touchdowns in the Lions' 30-27 Week 10 win over Washington. 

Stafford becomes one of the few quarterbacks to post a big stat line against a tough Washington defense, playing through a thumb injury he suffered in the first quarter. He hit Marvin Hall in the first quarter for a long score after a Washington cornerback got turned around and fell to the turf, later hitting Marvin Jones in the corner of the end zone, then dumping it off to DeAndre Swift, who bullied his way into the end zone. Stafford will be a QB2 in Week 11 against Carolina. 

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Matthew Stafford had tests on his injured thumb after the Lions' Week 10 win over Washington, but there's "not much concern going forward." 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said the team is "optimistic" Stafford won't miss any time with the thumb issue, though he might be limited at practice this week. Stafford ripped Washington's solid secondary on Sunday after hurting his thumb in the first half, finishing with 276 yards and three touchdowns. He should have his regular QB2 status for Week 11 against Carolina. 

Nov 16, 2020, 8:07 AM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Matthew Stafford has a partial tear in his throwing-hand thumb.

While an obvious concern, Pelissero reports that Stafford is still expected to play in Week 11. Playing and playing well are two different things, however. Stafford's practice reports and final injury designation should decide how confident fantasy managers should be with Stafford heading into Sunday. Even at full health, Stafford has maxed out as a weekly QB2, particularly without Kenny Golladay. There will be updates throughout the week.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Nov 17, 2020, 7:03 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Matthew Stafford (thumb) is expected to start in Week 11 against the Panthers.

Stafford missed a few reps earlier in the week but reportedly suffered no setbacks in his return to the field and will start Sunday. He'll do so without Kenny Golladay (hip) and Danny Amendola, both who were absent from Friday's practice. The Lions' offense lacks pop without Golladay, but Stafford is still in a kind enough matchup against Carolina's secondary to rank as a confident streamer.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Nov 20, 2020, 1:12 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Lions QB Matthew Stafford (thumb, questionable) will start in Week 11 against the Panthers and "has no limitations."

This report only confirms an earlier report of Stafford drawing the start but it's good to know that the injury won't limit him either. Stafford is currently the QB17 on the year and will be playing without his top receiver, running back, and slot receiver. He remains a low-end starting QB for fantasy purposes this week.

Nov 22, 2020, 8:17 AM ET

Matthew Stafford (thumb) is active for Week 11 against the Panthers.

Stafford will start and have "no limitations" despite a partial tear in his throwing-hand thumb. Detroit's inactives are QB David Blough, DT Da’Shawn Hand, DL Austin Bryant, OG Logan Stenberg, WR Kenny Golladay, WR Danny Amendola, and RB D’Andre Swift.

Nov 22, 2020, 11:32 AM ET

44 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Add in the lack of Golladay for an unknown time and we have issues. 

I don't want to overreact, but I also don't want to miss out on a opp to snag red rifle off the wire....two QB league.

This just has the feeling of "well, actually my thumb is affecting my performance, and since we suck, I'm going on IR."

3 hours ago, Manster said:

I don't want to overreact, but I also don't want to miss out on a opp to snag red rifle off the wire....two QB league.

This just has the feeling of "well, actually my thumb is affecting my performance, and since we suck, I'm going on IR."

This describes his last couple of seasons with other injuries. You’d be smart to make back up plans.  

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Manster said:

How much did his thumb affect his performance?  What do we think moving forward?  Seems a torn thumb ligament could be an issue from here on out

He was facing an atrocious defense that had forced a total of two (2!) punts in their last four games. Lions put up 185 and had 6 punts, a fumble and a kneel down to start the game. He was off all day; only one completion over 16 yards and it was called back for illegal formation. On a historical basis it was one of his worst games ever (they’d never been shutout before in a game he played) in a ++ matchup.

Injuries aside, I would dump him for any mouth breather on your wire. This team couldn’t run the ball when there were six in the box all day. This team has no heart and doesn’t want to play for the HC. Gonna be ugly Thursday, and absent naming an interim, for ROS.

• Like 1

Matthew Stafford completed 28-of-42 passes for 295 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in Detroit's 41-25 Week 12 give-up against the Texans.

It was a failed gameplan from the beginning. Even without D'Andre Swift (concussion) Thursday, coach Matt Patricia dumbfoundedly schemed up 27 running back carries including 10 straight runs while behind 23-14 to open the second half. The pendulum swung in Houston's favor early as Deshaun Watson hit C.J. Prosise for his first of four touchdowns, J.J. Watt snatched a ball from Matthew Stafford for a 20-yard pick-six, and Jonathan Williams fumbled, all in three consecutive snaps. Stafford meanwhile struggled again without Kenny Golladay (hip), failing to throw a touchdown until mid-fourth quarter when the team already trailed by multiple scores. The Lions previously fired Steve Mariucci in 2005 following a Thanksgiving Day loss that dropped his record to 15-28, putting Patricia in an eerily similar spot at 13-29-1 following Thursday's lifeless loss. Fantasy players shouldn't expect anything from this offense against the Bears in Week 13 unless Golladay is able to return.

Nov 26, 2020, 3:36 PM ET

Sheila Ford Hamp on Matthew Stafford’s future: We’ll see what new coach says

Sheila Ford Hamp on Matthew Stafford’s future: We’ll see what new coach says

Josh Alper for ProFootballTalk

28 seconds ago

There will be many decisions for Lions owner Sheila Ford Hamp to make after this season, but the future of quarterback Matthew Stafford is not one of them.

Hamp fired head coach Matt Patricia and General Manager Bob Quinn on Saturday and was asked about Stafford at a press conference following those moves. Hamp said that those calls will be made by the new hires in those positions.

“Well, since I’m not the coach, I’m probably not the right person to ask that question to,” Hamp said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “We’ll see what the new coach has to say.”

Stafford is signed through 2023 and $19 million of his $33 million cap hit for next year would be dead money on the salary cap if the Lions move on, but that might be a pill the Lions are willing to swallow if the incoming hires have a view of the team’s offense that doesn’t include a veteran quarterback.

• 2 weeks later...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Matthew Stafford's (ribs) status is "in doubt" for Week 15 against the Titans.

Stafford hasn't officially been ruled out just yet, but fantasy players shouldn't count on him being available against Tennessee. Chase Daniel came off the bench for Stafford in the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss to Green Bay but hasn't started a game since Week 5 of the 2019 season, completing 22-of-30 passes for 231 yards, two touchdowns, and a couple of interceptions; he's merely attempted 19 passes this year. Daniel is an obvious downgrade for Marvin Jones and T.J. Hockenson even if the Titans continue to offer zero pass rush on defense. With another loss, it's plausible the Lions even opt to shut Stafford down ahead of the organization's most important offseason in the last decade.

Dec 14, 2020, 3:16 PM ET

Rotoworld earlier today:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Matthew Stafford's (ribs) status is "in doubt" for Week 15 against the Titans.

Stafford hasn't officially been ruled out just yet, but fantasy players shouldn't count on him being available against Tennessee. Chase Daniel came off the bench for Stafford in the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss to Green Bay but hasn't started a game since Week 5 of the 2019 season, completing 22-of-30 passes for 231 yards, two touchdowns, and a couple of interceptions; he's merely attempted 19 passes this year. Daniel is an obvious downgrade for Marvin Jones and T.J. Hockenson even if the Titans continue to offer zero pass rush on defense. With another loss, it's plausible the Lions even opt to shut Stafford down ahead of the organization's most important offseason in the last decade.

Dec 14, 2020, 3:16 PM ET

Rotoworld:

The Lions aren't "overly optimistic" about Matthew Stafford's (ribs) chances to play this week against Tennessee. 

Prepare for more tortured language describing Stafford's condition and status as the week rolls on. Stafford reportedly has a rib cartilage injury but the team is "leaving open possibility" he'll start in Week 15 "since Stafford often toughs out injuries," according to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. Chase Daniel came off the bench for Stafford in the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss to Green Bay but hasn't started a game since October 2019. Daniel would be a last-ditch superflex option against a bad Titans secondary. 

RELATED: 

Chase Daniel

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Dec 15, 2020, 1:03 PM ET

Lions interim coach Darrell Bevell said he plans to "take it to the end of the week" with Matthew Stafford (ribs).

Stafford wasn't on the field when the Lions practiced Wednesday. Bevell said he doesn't need to see Stafford practice this week to play, but his Week 15 status is in doubt. ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported the Lions aren't "overly optimistic" about Stafford's chances to play. The Lions added QB Jordan Ta'amu to the practice squad, a sign they're preparing to be without Stafford. 

SOURCE: Detroit News

Dec 16, 2020, 11:13 AM ET

• Like 1