What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Stafford, LAR (1 Viewer)

Overrated as a real life qb (not fantasy)?

• Way overrated

Votes: 82 15.0%
  • Slightly overrated

Votes: 153 27.9%
  • Rated just where he should be

Votes: 190 34.7%
  • Slightly underrated

Votes: 95 17.3%
  • Way underrated

Votes: 28 5.1%

• Total voters
If the Lions decide to trade Stafford next season, what teams would make the most sense, as far as available cap space and compensation? I will be the first to admit that I don't know much about the cap situations of any of the teams.  But looking at the QB situations, this is how I view them:

1. Jets - Likely to draft Lawrence

2. Jags - Likely to draft Fields (or another QB)

3. Bengals - Set with Burrow

4. Chargers - Set with Herbert

5. Cowboys - Wild card, but assume they re-sign Dak.  If not, could be in play but not likely

6. Eagles - Locked into Wentz's contract plus Hurts looked good in his first start

7. Panthers - More likely to draft QB or stick with Teddy B.

8. Falcons - Have older QB of their own already

9. Texans - Have Watson.  (Pick belongs to Miami)

10. Broncos - Who knows what to make of Lock?

11. Washington - Need a real QB, play in the worst division in football, and have good Defense.  This is the first real potential spots, imo.

12. Lions - N/A

13. Bears - Would break the "never trade to your division rival" rule, but they need a QB in the worst way.

14. 49ers - Jimmy G doesn't seem to be improving, I could see Lynch pulling the trigger on this.

15. Cardinals - Have Murray

16. Patriots - Rodney Harrison just suggested this.  Definitely in the realm of possibility.

17. Ravens - Lamar Jackson.  'Nuff said.

18. Raiders - Never paid attention to Gruden's take on Stafford, but certainly could look to upgrade the position.

19. Giants - How do they feel about Jones?  Don't see them trading for Stafford though.

20. Vikings - Similar to Bears, but Cousins is doing better lately.  Don't see this.

21. Bucs - Brady for another year

22. Dolphins - Have Tua.

23. Colts - Very real possibility here.  Rivers looks to be at the end of the rope.  Good defense, good weapons.

24. Titans - Tannehill is doing what they want from him.

25. Seahawks - Russ is cooking

26. Rams - Goff's contract is already challenging

27. Bills - Kyle Allen is legit

28. Browns - Mayfield is winning for them and improving

29. Packers - Aaron Rodgers and already have potential successor

30. Chiefs - Mahomes

31. Saints - Could see the Saints make this move to replace Brees

32. Steelers - Big Ben is at the end, Stafford could be a great fit there, but this just doesn't feel like a Steelers move to me.

Looking at all of the teams, if I were the new GM in Detroit (please make him a good one) the teams I'd first contact are the Washington Football Team, Bears, Colts, and Saints. After that, I'd talk to the Steelers, 49ers, Patriots and Raiders.
Jerry Jones going after a home state boy seems to make some sense. Or Washington in the same weak division.

Jerry Jones going after a home state boy seems to make some sense. Or Washington in the same weak division.
Yeah, if the Cowboys let Dak walk, they would certainly move up.  They were foolish to not sign him before Mahomes and Watson signed their deals.  Since money has been holding them back on Dak, Stafford's contract is way cheaper.  His dead-cap hit for the Lions is much worse than the money owed.

Matthew Stafford (ribs) is active and will start Week 15 against the Titans.

Stafford didn't practice this week but was always trending toward playing with the Lions giving him all the way up until pregamr warmups to get ready. He's a middling QB2 for fantasy purposes. Inactive for the Lions are Kenny Golladay (hip), C Frank Ragnow (throat), CB Darryl Roberts, RB Jonathan Williams, OG Logan Stenberg, OL Tyrell Crosby, and DE Kareem Martin.

Dec 20, 2020, 11:47 AM ET

Matthew Stafford completed 22-of-32 passes for 252 yards and one touchdown in the Lions' Week 15 loss to the Titans.

Stafford exited in the fourth quarter of a blowout as he played through a ribs injury that kept him out of practice all week. It's unclear if he suffered a setback or not, but Stafford did take a big hit on a busted block by C Joe Dahl at one point. Stafford's touchdown was a two-yard hookup with Marvin Jones that capped the first drive. Stafford has had a very down year from a statistical standpoint and will be a bottom-barrel QB2 for Week 16 against the Bucs should he play.

Dec 20, 2020, 5:48 PM ET

Lions interim coach Darrell Bevell does not expect Matthew Stafford (ribs) to be shut down. 

"To be honest with you, I don't think he'll let that happen," Bevell said Tuesday. Stafford took a seat in the fourth quarter of Sunday's blowout loss to the Titans, but he apparently did not suffer an aggravation of his injury. The Lions are on a short week, playing the Bucs on Saturday. Stafford will follow the same routine he did last week, rationing practice reps before making a final decision. It certainly sounds like he will be out there for the tough matchup. 

SOURCE: Dave Birkett on Twitter 

Dec 22, 2020, 2:00 PM ET

Matthew Stafford (ribs, throwing thumb) is active for Week 16 against the Bucs.

Stafford's status wasn't in doubt despite a questionable tag. The Lions' inactives are C Frank Ragnow, WR Kenny Golladay, OT Tyrell Crosby, LB Jamie Collins, DT Frank Herron, OG Logan Stenberg, and DB Jayron Kearse.

Dec 26, 2020, 11:45 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Lions QB Matthew Stafford suffered an ankle sprain in Week 16 and could be held out of Week 17 against the Vikings.

It wouldn't make much sense for Stafford to suit up in a meaningless Week 17 game. The Lions have been out of the playoff hunt for weeks and only stand to lose out on draft position by winning in the final week of the season. Stafford also entered last week with a rib and thumb injury. He left his Week 16 game versus the Bucs after less than two drives and did not return. Expect to see Chase Daniel under center in the Lions' closing game for 2020. Daniel couldn't lead Detroit to a single offense score in roughly three quarters of action in Week 16.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 27, 2020, 8:28 AM ET

Matthew Stafford (ankle) didn't practice Wednesday.

Stafford's sprained ankle has his status for Sunday's game in doubt. He's also been playing through rib and thumb injuries, so the Lions may decide to shut him down. Chase Daniel is taking first-team reps at practice and will start if Stafford can't go. The Lions (5-10) can improve their draft slot by losing in Week 17.

SOURCE: Detroit News

Dec 30, 2020, 11:07 AM ET

Matthew Stafford completed 20-of-31 passes for 293 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception in the Lions' Week 17 loss to the Vikings.

It was another wasted season in Detroit for Stafford who finished with 4,084 yards, 26 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions on a 7.7 yards per attempt average. This respectable passing line came despite Kenny Golladay's 11-game absence and a plethora of injuries to Stafford's thumb, ankle, ribs, and back. Stafford will be 33 years old next season and deserves to play for an organization capable of winning playoff games. His contract is tradable if a team is desperate enough, but it's unclear where Stafford wants to play. The Lions will be losing Marvin Jones and Danny Amendola to free agency. Stafford is best viewed as a fantasy QB2 until the dust is settled.

- Rotoworld

Colts would be a great land spot for Stafford, but Ballard isn't one to give up picks easily.   Unsure what they would offer.
Colts or Saints have to be players for him. Not sure if Washington deserves him but he would make them better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colts would be a great land spot for Stafford, but Ballard isn't one to give up picks easily.   Unsure what they would offer.

Hope to get a bidding war, Lions need all the draft picks they can get.

Wonder what the right value is. 1.21? He would be perfect for the Colts. 
Dear Mr Stafford,

Washington and new Orleans are incredible cities for your family.

Indy is horrible. Don't go there.

Respectfully,

Titans fans

Last edited by a moderator:
A team drafting in the 20's won't be able to get one the the top rookie QBs and might not want to take that chance anyway. He should end up on a pretty good team.

The value is a fair question but I'd figure 5+ years of a good franchise QB should be worth at least a mid 1st. 
They will get way way more than that. Multiple very good teams with no QB - WFT, Indy, Pitt, could even throw NE in there. Sure the Rams would love to have him, Oakland, it’s really a stupid market. Detroit should fleece somebody. 

Well, you know the pats would win with him and I'm sure he'd like to win more than anything. But yeah, they offense is pretty terrible. And with teams like the 49ers and colts it wouldn't be his first choice. 
They would probably win the division but he has a better chance of getting a ring with WFT, Indy, Pittsburgh, and probably others.

Is he in the driver's seat here? Other than refusing to show, does he have a no trade clause?

Figure Watson goes for a lot more than Stafford, if he gets dealt.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said the Lions and Matthew Stafford have agreed to part ways this offseason. 

It appears the team won't fight to keep Stafford aboard for a full rebuild. Pelissero reports Stafford and the team made a mutual decision that the Lions would trade away their franchise QB this offseason after 12 seasons. QB-needy teams like the 49ers, Washington, Panthers, Colts, Jets, and Broncos will probably show interest in acquiring Stafford, though the Lions' price isn't known. Stafford has two years and $43 million left on his contract, "a bargain price for a quarterback who is still playing at a high level," Pelissero said. Stafford will be a marked upgrade for the pass catchers on whichever team he lands on this offseason. Detroit is (very) likely to use their No. 7 NFL draft pick to select Stafford's successor, and perhaps move up even further to secure one of the draft's top signal callers. The trade would likely happen before the fifth day of the 2021 league year in March, when Stafford is due a $10 million roster bonus.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jan 23, 2021, 6:10 PM ET

The 49ers will monitor the Lions' potential trade of Matthew Stafford. 

It's not quite a shock that the Niners could enter the fray for Stafford's services. Jimmy Garoppolo, who has two years left on his deal and is slated to make a whopping $25.5 million next season, has been inconsistent -- and sometimes downright bad -- in four injury-riddled seasons with the Niners. With play makers like George Kittle, Brandon Aiyuk, and Deebo Samuel, Stafford could make Kyle Shanahan's offense a dangerous unit. The team could restructure Stafford's contract to reduce the cap hit if they're able to acquire him. Stafford, 32, is sure to have a handful of serious suitors in the coming weeks and months. He's due a $10 million roster bonus from the Lions on the fifth day of the 2021 league year in March. 

RELATED: 

Jimmy Garoppolo

SOURCE: NBC Sports 

Jan 23, 2021, 7:26 PM ET

Why would he?  
Some QB may like that the coach has 8 Super Bowl rings. Maybe wants to get a ring and thinks it could be done in NE. NE has a lot of cap space and I expect they will make use of it next season. 

Not saying this is what Stafford wants. But I could see a QB that could think this way. 

Id be all for the 49ers getting Stafford, but I wouldnt give up a first rounder. I could live with sending Detroit Jimmy G, a 2021 third, and a 2022 second.

That probably wouldnt get it done though.

Why do people here think Pitt is a legitimate option? Last I heard Ben isn't retiring. He's going to call his own shot there and leave on his own terms. 

I think ultimately this sweepstakes will come down to WFT and the Colts. He would be a great fit on both teams. Both teams greatly enhance their chances to make a deep playoff run with him at the helm. I'd bet that WFT will ultimately get it done because they will be willing to overpay like they always do. Add in the fact that they just hired Mayhew (who drafted him) as they their GM, and it was almost a given they were going to make a run at Stafford. As a Skins fan I was saying this since they day they hired Mayhew. With Mayhew and Rivera on the same page, you know they won't need to convince Danny Boy Snyder, who is always chasing shiny objects and wanting to make splashy moves. The only question is how much can Detroit shake down from the Skins. I'm assuming the #19 this year is probably already on the table.  Probably an additional 2nd and/or 3rd will be in the package as well.

They would probably win the division but he has a better chance of getting a ring with WFT, Indy, Pittsburgh, and probably others.

Is he in the driver's seat here? Other than refusing to show, does he have a no trade clause?

Figure Watson goes for a lot more than Stafford, if he gets dealt.
True, but the market will be much bigger for Stafford.  Only the Jets and Miami really have a lot to offer for Watson.

Some QB may like that the coach has 8 Super Bowl rings. Maybe wants to get a ring and thinks it could be done in NE. NE has a lot of cap space and I expect they will make use of it next season. 

Not saying this is what Stafford wants. But I could see a QB that could think this way. 
I was more asking why he'd want to follow Patricia. 

I still don't think he should want to play in NE.  His perfect scenario is Indy. And I don't like that.

Id be all for the 49ers getting Stafford, but I wouldnt give up a first rounder. I could live with sending Detroit Jimmy G, a 2021 third, and a 2022 second.

That probably wouldnt get it done though.
If Watson isn't interested in forcing a trade to SF, the Niners should absolutely give up a 1st for Stafford.

I was more asking why he'd want to follow Patricia. 

I still don't think he should want to play in NE.  His perfect scenario is Indy. And I don't like that.
Patricia was a d coordinator. He hasn’t even be named as a d coordinator. In fact people feel Steve Belichick is earmarked for that role. So Patricia may be a positional coach next season on defensive side of the ball. So I don’t see how this has any impact of Stafford. I think he would want to go to a contender. Which, as you say, puts Indy and 49ers up there. But I’m not sure I’d rule out him being interested in NE. 

Why do people here think Pitt is a legitimate option? Last I heard Ben isn't retiring. He's going to call his own shot there and leave on his own terms. 

I think ultimately this sweepstakes will come down to WFT and the Colts. He would be a great fit on both teams. Both teams greatly enhance their chances to make a deep playoff run with him at the helm. I'd bet that WFT will ultimately get it done because they will be willing to overpay like they always do. Add in the fact that they just hired Mayhew (who drafted him) as they their GM, and it was almost a given they were going to make a run at Stafford. As a Skins fan I was saying this since they day they hired Mayhew. With Mayhew and Rivera on the same page, you know they won't need to convince Danny Boy Snyder, who is always chasing shiny objects and wanting to make splashy moves. The only question is how much can Detroit shake down from the Skins. I'm assuming the #19 this year is probably already on the table.  Probably an additional 2nd and/or 3rd will be in the package as well.
If the Steelers were to make this move it goes along with cutting Ben or asking him to retire. 

Users who are viewing this thread