What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Stafford, LAR (1 Viewer)

Overrated as a real life qb (not fantasy)?

• Way overrated

Votes: 82 15.0%
  • Slightly overrated

Votes: 153 27.9%
  • Rated just where he should be

Votes: 190 34.7%
  • Slightly underrated

Votes: 95 17.3%
  • Way underrated

Votes: 28 5.1%

• Total voters
There is no way the Broncos are giving the 9th overall pick for Stafford. I'll plant that flag pretty deep.
Yeah, I mean Elway is desperate but that would be negligent. I could see them offering a future 1st, but 9 overall is a bridge too far. Honestly, I wonder how much appeal there is for Stafford to go there anyway if he wants to win. You’re in the same division as the Chiefs and in the loaded AFC. I doubt the Pats offer up the 15 either, just knowing how Belichek works, but that is a possibility I guess. That’s why I still contend this will most likely come down to the Skins and Colts. Skins will probably gladly give up the 19, and I could see the Colts putting the 21 pick in play.

Yeah, I mean Elway is desperate but that would be negligent. I could see them offering a future 1st, but 9 overall is a bridge too far. Honestly, I wonder how much appeal there is for Stafford to go there anyway if he wants to win. You’re in the same division as the Chiefs and in the loaded AFC. I doubt the Pats offer up the 15 either, just knowing how Belichek works, but that is a possibility I guess. That’s why I still contend this will most likely come down to the Skins and Colts. Skins will probably gladly give up the 19, and I could see the Colts putting the 21 pick in play.
FWIW - Former Viking assistant-ish GM George Paton is the new GM in Denver. Elway seemed to figure out that he was in over his head. 

It was a great hire by Elway, though. I wish Paton was the Vikings' GM instead of Spielman. 

FWIW - Former Viking assistant-ish GM George Paton is the new GM in Denver. Elway seemed to figure out that he was in over his head. 

It was a great hire by Elway, though. I wish Paton was the Vikings' GM instead of Spielman. 
Yes. But wasn't Paton part of the crew that gave a king's ransom to a very average Cousins? So not totally crazy to think Paton might pay up to solidify the QB position when the rest of Denver's offense is quite solid. Then spend the rest of the draft / FA on shoring up the defense.

Yes. But wasn't Paton part of the crew that gave a king's ransom to a very average Cousins? So not totally crazy to think Paton might pay up to solidify the QB position when the rest of Denver's offense is quite solid. Then spend the rest of the draft / FA on shoring up the defense.
I don't know how much that was Paton or Spielman/Zimmer...I suspect it was the latter.

And they gave up a lot in money, but nothing in picks. GMs hang on to draft capital like the "you can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead hands" crowd.

As one that doesn't mind watching a bit of schadenfreude applied to the privileged, the deal I'd get a kick out of is Stafford+ to the Texans for Watson.

What would Deshaun say about THAT!?

Do you think Belichick wants to win now and prove that he can be a winning coach without Brady?  He's also 48 regular season wins behind Shula. At his 2020 pace that would take 8 years, only 4 years at the Brady pace. 

There’s “significant interest” in Stafford, and “about a third of the league” has already called the Lions to inquire, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network (Twitter video link). That would suggest that anywhere from 10-12 teams have already reached out to gauge the asking price.

To that end, Rapoport says the team “should be able to get at least a first-rounder” in any trade.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/01/latest-on-matthew-stafford

I think Stafford is going to get a 1st and at least two more picks or a player. People are undervaluing how many teams are absolutely desperate for a QB of his caliber. There aren't any other options that are nearly as good - and despite many who would equate Stafford to Ryan, no, I don't think Ryan is nearly as good. Watson is obviously far younger and a superior talent, but his price tag is going to be outrageous. 

I have a feeling Stafford is going to net a haul and it's going to happen pretty quickly. 

The Colts are likely to be serious contender. They could also go hard after Golladay.

I'm curious what the board's opinion is of Stafford vs. Rivers...upgrade or downgrade and, if so, by how much?

Well if there's really that much demand, I'm probably wrong and they'll get at least a first.  
I just think the timing is working out perfectly for the Lions. Several QBs are aging out of the league (Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rivers) or showed they're unreliable for whatever reason (Goff, Wentz, Garropolo, Dak, Haskins, etc.). There's a long list of solid, ready-to-win teams who need a legit QB. 

I just think the timing is working out perfectly for the Lions. Several QBs are aging out of the league (Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rivers) or showed they're unreliable for whatever reason (Goff, Wentz, Garropolo, Dak, Haskins, etc.). There's a long list of solid, ready-to-win teams who need a legit QB. 
This is why the Lions will receive more than just a first rd pick for him.  The return willbe significant.

I’d stamp a guarantee on the box about this but you can get a good look at T Bone by shoving your head up a bulls ### but I’d rather take the butchers word for it. 

If Stafford gets 1st and 2nd (or dare I say 2 1sts) or a 1st and a legit good player, then Watkins should bring 4 1st rounders. 

UFA Ryan Fitzpatrick is getting better with age. He was #5 in QBR in 2020, won't cost any draft picks, at about half or less the cap of Stafford, and should be good to go for 2 more years. Not a bad consolation prize for a team that misses out on Stafford.

UFA Ryan Fitzpatrick is getting better with age. He was #5 in QBR in 2020, won't cost any draft picks, at about half or less the cap of Stafford, and should be good to go for 2 more years. Not a bad consolation prize for a team that misses out on Stafford.
Colts could go this route with a focus on a WR in free agency then OT and Edge Defender in draft.  

If you want to go 7-9 or 8-8.  Sure. 

If you want to go 7-9 or 8-8.  Sure. 
Fitzpatrick was 4-3 in games started in 2020. He also won the LV game in relief and nearly won the Denver game in relief. The last 2 years, he's been playing great ball behind a bad oline with receivers getting the worst separation as a group in the NFL. I think he got better with age, although he's still somewhat of a gunslinger. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up in 2021 with so many QB changes and teams willing to trade draft capital and commit cap space for Stafford for 2 years. 

Fitzpatrick was 4-3 in games started in 2020. He also won the LV game in relief and nearly won the Denver game in relief. The last 2 years, he's been playing great ball behind a bad oline with receivers getting the worst separation as a group in the NFL. I think he got better with age, although he's still somewhat of a gunslinger. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up in 2021 with so many QB changes and teams willing to trade draft capital and commit cap space for Stafford for 2 years. 
His career record is 59-86-1. 

Is it wishful thinking to imagine trading Stafford for Watson? Is there a world where that could actually happen?

Is it wishful thinking to imagine trading Stafford for Watson? Is there a world where that could actually happen?
Yes.  Beyond the added cost because Watson is younger and better, Watson holds all the cards.  He needs to waive his no trade clause in order for any trade by Houston to happen.  It seems unlikely that Detroit would be one of his preferred destinations.  Likewise, while Stafford doesn't have any real leverage I doubt he would really like to go to Houston with the state they are in.  I think the Lions will try and do right by Stafford as long as it doesn't seriously hamper the return.

Yes.  Beyond the added cost because Watson is younger and better, Watson holds all the cards.  He needs to waive his no trade clause in order for any trade by Houston to happen.  It seems unlikely that Detroit would be one of his preferred destinations.  Likewise, while Stafford doesn't have any real leverage I doubt he would really like to go to Houston with the state they are in.  I think the Lions will try and do right by Stafford as long as it doesn't seriously hamper the return.
Sure makes sense. That said, I don't understand what else the Lions would need to do in order to "do right" by Stafford. He got paid a boatload of money over the years and was always respected. He's getting a chance for a new contract and one last big payday with another team. What else do they owe him at this point? The Lions should try to get as much as they can regardless of which team he ends up with even if it somehow magically ends up being Houston. 

Sure makes sense. That said, I don't understand what else the Lions would need to do in order to "do right" by Stafford. He got paid a boatload of money over the years and was always respected. He's getting a chance for a new contract and one last big payday with another team. What else do they owe him at this point? The Lions should try to get as much as they can regardless of which team he ends up with even if it somehow magically ends up being Houston. 
I think the Fords are loyal and view Stafford as someone who always represented the Lions in the best light.  I don't think they will seriously shortchange themselves, but if the difference is small I think they'll take his preferences into account.

The Score is reporting that the Rams are interested in Stafford.  That really makes no sense.  He's not that much of an upgrade over Goff, and they aren't releasing Goff.   McVay is the biggest problem with that team.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Rams have "explored the possibilities" of trading for Matthew Stafford.

For what it's worth, the Rams' earliest pick in the 2021 draft is No. 57 overall. It's unclear what would happen with Jared Goff's lucrative (and nightmarish) contract on the books for the next four years, but Stafford himself even reportedly considers Los Angeles a legitimate contender for his services. With former Rams director of college scouting Brad Holmes now making decisions as Detroit's GM, you don't have to squint to see the two sides coming to some type of agreement for the 32-year-old immediately following the Super Bowl. The Lions are still ideally looking to trade Stafford before March 21 since his roster bonus would then cost the front office another $10 million on the books for 2021.

RELATED: 

Jared Goff

, Los Angeles Rams

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Jan 29, 2021, 5:22 PM ET

It’s been suggested 10-12 teams remain interested in Stafford but Birkett notes that not all of them are “considered realistic suitors”. He narrowed the list saying, “the Indianapolis Colts, Washington and the San Francisco 49ers are believed to be among the interested parties — and the Lions’ proximity to cutting a deal suggests they will get at least a first-round pick.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/30/report-detroit-lions-have-quite-a-few-offers-for-matthew-stafford-and-a-trade-could-happen-soon/

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said to "expect" a trade involving Matthew Stafford before the Super Bowl.

Even Lions coach Dan Campbell said trade talks were "hot and heavy". A deal will get done very shortly after the Lions agreed with Stafford that a change of scenery is best for both sides. The Rams have inquired about getting a deal done for Stafford, but they'd need to find a trade partner for Jared Goff and his contract for that to work under the salary cap. The 49ers, Colts, Football Team, Patriots, and others are also expected to inquire. Stafford, 32, comes with cap hits of $33 million and $26 million over the next two seasons, although the Lions would eat $19 million of that when he's dealt. Stafford could be the first domino to fall in what could be a massive game of musical chairs in the quarterback market.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 30, 2021, 1:38 PM ET

Shawnky said:
The Score is reporting that the Rams are interested in Stafford.  That really makes no sense.  He's not that much of an upgrade over Goff, and they aren't releasing Goff.   McVay is the biggest problem with that team.
What's going on is the Rams are the preferred landing spot for Matthew and Kelly so his team is trying to get this "story" out there.

Stafford is an immense upgrade, Rams want to be done with Goff.

McVay is the best thing to happen to the Rams franchise since they found Kurt Warner.

It’s been suggested 10-12 teams remain interested in Stafford but Birkett notes that not all of them are “considered realistic suitors”. He narrowed the list saying, “the Indianapolis Colts, Washington and the San Francisco 49ers are believed to be among the interested parties — and the Lions’ proximity to cutting a deal suggests they will get at least a first-round pick.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/30/report-detroit-lions-have-quite-a-few-offers-for-matthew-stafford-and-a-trade-could-happen-soon/
I mean anyone who doesn’t think they’re easily getting a first doesn’t have a realistic value of draft picks. Patriots who send a first for him in a heartbeat as I’m sure the other 3 teams would.

I'm curious why there’s such a rush to make a deal. Makes me think the lions are going to do something stupid.

What's going on is the Rams are the preferred landing spot for Matthew and Kelly so his team is trying to get this "story" out there.

Stafford is an immense upgrade, Rams want to be done with Goff.

McVay is the best thing to happen to the Rams franchise since they found Kurt Warner.
Rams don't have a first round pick this year...so don't see what currency they have that would enable them to realistically compete with others like the 49ers, WFT, Colts etc.

If the Lions accept Goff in a trade deal for Stafford the new GM should get fired on the spot.

Rams don't have a first round pick this year...so don't see what currency they have that would enable them to realistically compete with others like the 49ers, WFT, Colts etc.

If the Lions accept Goff in a trade deal for Stafford the new GM should get fired on the spot.
The Rams have been pretty creative to work around cap issues and acquire players the past few years. But I have to agree they don't have what it takes to get Stafford it's it's taking the best offer which is why I think Stafford's people tried to get that "Rams" story out there. If the Lions were trying to make Stafford happy they'd send him to the Rams. What you got to hope for if you are a Lions fan is the teams goal is to do what is right for the team and not what Stafford wants.

I'm just assuming on Goff that if they actually find someone to take him in a trade it would be of the Osweiler type of trade where they are paying someone to take him.

Look what happens when you announce that you're trading a player.  Lowballs only.  

49ers offered 2 2nd and 2 3rds and then bowed out if reports are accurate. 

Users who are viewing this thread