Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Matthew Stafford

Matthew Stafford  

531 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 hours ago, Shawnky said:

The Score is reporting that the Rams are interested in Stafford.  That really makes no sense.  He's not that much of an upgrade over Goff, and they aren't releasing Goff.   McVay is the biggest problem with that team.

What's going on is the Rams are the preferred landing spot for Matthew and Kelly so his team is trying to get this "story" out there.

Stafford is an immense upgrade, Rams want to be done with Goff.

McVay is the best thing to happen to the Rams franchise since they found Kurt Warner.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1
  • Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do they still have jobs? The Rams went 4-12 in 2016 and had not had a winning record since 2003 -- 14 seasons earlier. Then Snead and McVay took over. Since then: 2017 - 11-5, playoffs, lost

lol.

I think Stafford is going to get a 1st and at least two more picks or a player. People are undervaluing how many teams are absolutely desperate for a QB of his caliber. There aren't any other options

48 minutes ago, Stoneworker said:

It’s been suggested 10-12 teams remain interested in Stafford but Birkett notes that not all of them are “considered realistic suitors”. He narrowed the list saying, “the Indianapolis Colts, Washington and the San Francisco 49ers are believed to be among the interested parties — and the Lions’ proximity to cutting a deal suggests they will get at least a first-round pick.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/30/report-detroit-lions-have-quite-a-few-offers-for-matthew-stafford-and-a-trade-could-happen-soon/

I mean anyone who doesn’t think they’re easily getting a first doesn’t have a realistic value of draft picks. Patriots who send a first for him in a heartbeat as I’m sure the other 3 teams would.

I'm curious why there’s such a rush to make a deal. Makes me think the lions are going to do something stupid.

9 minutes ago, menobrown said:

What's going on is the Rams are the preferred landing spot for Matthew and Kelly so his team is trying to get this "story" out there.

Stafford is an immense upgrade, Rams want to be done with Goff.

McVay is the best thing to happen to the Rams franchise since they found Kurt Warner.

Rams don't have a first round pick this year...so don't see what currency they have that would enable them to realistically compete with others like the 49ers, WFT, Colts etc.

If the Lions accept Goff in a trade deal for Stafford the new GM should get fired on the spot.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Stoneworker said:

Rams don't have a first round pick this year...so don't see what currency they have that would enable them to realistically compete with others like the 49ers, WFT, Colts etc.

If the Lions accept Goff in a trade deal for Stafford the new GM should get fired on the spot.

The Rams have been pretty creative to work around cap issues and acquire players the past few years. But I have to agree they don't have what it takes to get Stafford it's it's taking the best offer which is why I think Stafford's people tried to get that "Rams" story out there. If the Lions were trying to make Stafford happy they'd send him to the Rams. What you got to hope for if you are a Lions fan is the teams goal is to do what is right for the team and not what Stafford wants.

I'm just assuming on Goff that if they actually find someone to take him in a trade it would be of the Osweiler type of trade where they are paying someone to take him.

• Like 1

Rams could offer a second or third this year and next year’s first pretty easily. With Stafford they will be one of the favorites to make the super bowl so that’s practically a 2nd anyways. 

I think the Lions could do better than that. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, Capella said:

Rams could offer a second or third this year and next year’s first pretty easily. With Stafford they will be one of the favorites to make the super bowl so that’s practically a 2nd anyways. 

Didn't they trade that 2022 first for Ramsey?

Edit:  no, it was their 2021

Edited by kittenmittens
2 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

Look what happens when you announce that you're trading a player.  Lowballs only.  

49ers offered 2 2nd and 2 3rds and then bowed out if reports are accurate. 

Is that really that terrible of an offer?  Seems like 1st round value

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
2 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

Look what happens when you announce that you're trading a player.  Lowballs only.  

49ers offered 2 2nd and 2 3rds and then bowed out if reports are accurate. 

That's a damn good offer IMO. 4 good valuable picks for a 33 year old QB seems like a great move

Brilliant of them to announce he'd be dealt so early while max QB openings existed. 👍👍👍

Detroit is dealing QB Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two future first-round picks, a third-round pick and QB Jared Goff, per sources. Two former No. 1 overall picks trading places in the first blockbuster NFL trade of 202

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Love 1

Someone said in another thread recently that Watson won’t get three firsts and hoooo boy are they gonna be wrong there. Good QBs hard to come by. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 1
On 1/26/2021 at 11:55 AM, Andy Dufresne said:

If they mange to get a first for him I won't just be surprised, I'll be shocked.

On 1/26/2021 at 11:34 AM, Andy Dufresne said:

I just don't think you're getting a 1st for a 32 year old QB with a recent injury history.

What about 2 1sts?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
3 minutes ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

2 future 1s, a 3rd and Goff for Stafford.

Wow. 

Goff is whatever, but two firsts and a 3rd is huge. The Rams really hate 1st round picks.

Stafford and Ramsey will likely be better than any first round pick they could have taken. Jalen for sure. Picks are extremely overrated when you can get a superstar like that in exchange. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Capella said:

Stafford and Ramsey will likely be better than any first round pick they could have taken. Jalen for sure. Picks are extremely overrated when you can get a superstar like that in exchange. 

I like the Stafford move by the Rams. Colts and 49ers should have made more of an effort imo.

Solid by the lions but should be 2 late firsts so I don't think it's amazing value.

1 minute ago, voiceofunreason said:

I like the Stafford move by the Rams. Colts and 49ers should have made more of an effort imo.

Solid by the lions but should be 2 late firsts so I don't think it's amazing value.

Fans like the idea or the potential of a first round pick. It’s fun to speculate and dream. Smart GMs know to take the established players when they are elite status and your team is close to winning big. 

33 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Kinda depends on the 1sts.  

Not all 1st rounders are the same

Exactly.

Obviously "well if Stafford is worth this, watson must be worth X"  is going to be the narrative.

But the Jets # 2 pick alone (just as an example) will likely be worth significantly more than all the picks the Lions got combined. (In terms of trade value. Obviously we have no idea what the players picked will actually turn into)  Per the traditional chart, its worth 2600 points.  If we assume the 2 first round picks will be somewhere in the 20's, they'd be worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 1700 points......if they were THIS year's first rounders. As future first rounders (presumably 2022 and 2023, as the Rams pick this year belongs to Jax) they're worth significantly less.

Based on the way this trade went down, Goff and his contract were obviously considered a liability, not an asset to a rebuilding Lions team. So you could easily make the argument that he was worth nothing (or rather, less than nothing)

Obviously Watson is worth WAY more than Stafford in a vacuum. But then there's the variable of him wanting out and leveraging his no trade to pick his spot (which could theoretically limit the Texans' leverage and hurt their compensation).

So who the hell knows.  Gonna be a fun offseason either way.

Edited by Todd from Utah
  • Thinking 1
Just now, Todd from Utah said:

Based on the way this trade went down, Goff and his contract were obviously considered a liability, not an asset to a rebuilding Lions team. So you could easily make the argument that he was worth nothing (or rather, less than nothing)

He is part of why I think the Lions got took on this trade. He's got $42M guaranteed next two years but should basically be seen as 2 years for $52m. He just to benched for John Wofford and now the Lions are on the hook for that.

I"m not a Lions fan or have any fantasy interest over this trade and I'm honestly mad for them. The whole way they handled this and return they got back makes me lose all confidence in their hires.

3 minutes ago, menobrown said:

He is part of why I think the Lions got took on this trade. He's got $42M guaranteed next two years but should basically be seen as 2 years for $52m. He just to benched for John Wofford and now the Lions are on the hook for that.

I"m not a Lions fan or have any fantasy interest over this trade and I'm honestly mad for them. The whole way they handled this and return they got back makes me lose all confidence in their hires.

Meh, the Lions knew they weren't winning anything with Stafford.

They're basically punting on the next 2 years now, Maybe with Goff (who is certainly not good) as a vastly overpaid stop gap QB. They'll presumably be bad (and thus, picking high in the draft. Plus they get the Rams pick next year to add a piece) and when they cut him in 2 years, they'll have 2 first rounders (likely an early one and a late one from the Rams) to ramp up the rebuild.

Ideally you dont want to have to wait TWO years to start your rebuild, but i still think they won this deal.

10 minutes ago, menobrown said:

I think the Lions got fleeced.  Not sure what you are all seeing here.

Not sure how you see that. Lions are in full rebuild and Stafford wasn't part of that plan. Moving him for 2 1sts is a terrific return. 

6 hours ago, Capella said:

Good call 

• Like 1
Just now, Wise Old Owl said:

Not sure how you see that. Lions are in full rebuild and Stafford wasn't part of that plan. Moving him for 2 1sts is a terrific return. 

Two projected late #1's, not a current #1, not even the Rams current #2, and you had to take on a bad contract that along should have netted you a second for taking on.

Just now, Todd from Utah said:

Meh, the Lions knew they weren't winning anything with Stafford.

They're basically punting on the next 2 years now, Maybe with Goff (who is certainly not good) as a vastly overpaid stop gap QB. They'll presumably be bad (and thus, picking high in the draft. Plus they get the Rams pick next year to add a piece) and when they cut him in 2 years, they'll have 2 first rounders (likely an early one and a late one from the Rams) to ramp up the rebuild.

Ideally you dont want to have to wait TWO years to start your rebuild, but i still think they won this deal.

Yeah its basically the Browns Osweiler trade but higher picks because Stafford is involved. Lions eat the bad contract because they aren't trying to win now anyway

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, menobrown said:

I think it was a pretty fair trade and it’s a good trade for both teams.  Rams slightly overpaid for a Stafford level QB though   Two firsts and a third for Stafford?  Detroit has Goff for the next year or two while they build their team with the extra draft picks.   

Edited by DocHolliday

Two projected late #1's, not a current #1, not even the Rams current #2, and you had to take on a bad contract that along should have netted you a second for taking on.

The bad contract is almost meaningless. It's not like they will be signing big FAs this year or next anyway. This is a team eating a bad contract today to get picks for the team they are building toward 2 years from now. 

Edited by Wise Old Owl
spelling
  • Like 1

Does not mean you make a bad deal.

IMO, they didn't.

If they're going to stink for the next 2 years (which was a distinct possibility no matter what they got for Stafford) who cares that they're paying Goff stupid money?   Once that money is gone, its gone. It wont affect their ability to build a good team 2-3 years from now once the picks they got start paying dividends (assuming they hit on them)

Edited by Todd from Utah
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, menobrown said:

who cares what kind of contract it is? they're not winning anything the next 2 years. and they got two 1sts+ for a depreciating asset. this is an easy win for the lions, and a reasonable acquisition for the rams. 

also, the texans 1st was supposed to be in the 20s. it was 3. you don't know they're going to the championship game. 

• Like 3

The value of a future first is not the same as the value of a current first. Bill Parcells once said he considered value of a future pick a round less then value of current pick.

The Lions let the Rams keep their highest pick this year.

The Rams draft pick is not high, with Stafford it's a good bet it won't better then it was.

There is no way the Rams can make this trade if the Lions don't take Goffs $42M real guaranty, $52M likely guaranty off their hands the next two seasons. Osweiller drew a second round pick when had about half that amount money due to him. Goff is McVay's hand picked guy and he just got benched for John Wofford. This is a worse take back for Lions then Osweiler because he's on their books for two years.

So yea, Stafford may not be doing the Lions any good but this was not the deal to make and I'll probably never be convinced that trading Stafford to the team he wanted to go got you back the best deal.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Deamon said:

What about 2 1sts?

Sorry, I just recovered from passing out. Ate too much crow, I guess.

This is L.A. paying the price for screwing up their salary cap by signing the wrong guys.

Also, one has to wonder if this has anything to do with the cost overruns with SoFi. 

Edited by Andy Dufresne
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Why should it be seen as 2 years for $52? The Lions are going to stink next year. If they cut him after next year, they will have a $15.5 mm guaranteed in 2022. 

The contract just doesn't seem horrific for the Lions.

Also - I'm not sure why we are automatically assuming these will be late picks for the Rams. Its not that hard to see Stafford have injury issues and the Rams have cap issues and they go 6-10 or 7-9 or something.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, whoknew said:

Why should it be seen as 2 years for $52? The Lions are going to stink next year. If they cut him after next year, they will have a $15.5 mm guaranteed in 2022. 

It's $42M in real guarantees but his base in 2022 is $10M. So I say he's essentially guaranteed $52M because Lions are already paying him $15M for 2022 so it's either pay $15M for nothing or add on another $10M and keep him. I guess it's possible Goff's not worth $10M so great, they get out of it with $15m gone their 2022 cap.

• Like 1

Good trade for both teams... sometimes you have to overpay in some people's minds to win a title.  The fact that half the people are saying LAR got fleeced and half are saying DET got fleeced, means this was a great deal.

Detroit is gonna be down for 2 years anyways.  But when they get back up and start biting kneecaps, they could be relevant.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Doesn't this say that the Lions could save $2m cutting him before the 2022 season? This next year is the only expensive one, right?

I think they'll cut him after this year.  They're likely going to have a top 5 pick next year and select their QB of the future.  Also wouldn't doubt if they use one of these future 1sts to move into the #1 draft slot next year to grab the top  QB (if a non qb needy team gets that pick).  This is good ammo to make that move.

• Like 1
Just now, Deamon said:

I think they'll cut him after this year.  They're likely going to have a top 5 pick next year and select their QB of the future.  Also wouldn't doubt if they use one of these future 1sts to move into the #1 draft slot next year to grab the top  QB (if a non qb needy team gets that pick).  This is good ammo to make that move.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade up in THIS draft.

But my prognostication skills are obviously in question.

• Laughing 1