Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Matthew Stafford

Matthew Stafford  

531 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade up in THIS draft.

But my prognostication skills are obviously in question.

There's a good chance Wilson or Fields will be sitting there for them at 7... not sure who they would trade up with unless they fall in love with one of those guys.  But yes, drafting a QB this year also makes a lot of sense and he can be groomed behind Goff for half a season.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do they still have jobs? The Rams went 4-12 in 2016 and had not had a winning record since 2003 -- 14 seasons earlier. Then Snead and McVay took over. Since then: 2017 - 11-5, playoffs, lost

lol.

I think Stafford is going to get a 1st and at least two more picks or a player. People are undervaluing how many teams are absolutely desperate for a QB of his caliber. There aren't any other options

Yeah, I don’t get the people arguing that it’s a bad deal for the Lions because they had to absorb Goff’s contract. The have the cap space and are going to suck this year regardless, so what’s the harm in taking him on if it lands you a 1st round pick? They need someone to play the position this year anyway as they stumble their way to a top 5 pick. Goff can be a caretaker for a year (or less) in front of whatever rookie QB they draft if they go that route. Or the future firsts give them some assets to deal in a move up in the draft in future years.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sudoku_in_the_Bathtub said:

Yep.

Look at that.

I think it was pretty close to what I said.  A little more than a single first. 

People are spinning this as if they got Goff and 2 1sts for Stafford.  With Goffs contract the Rams had to pay more to Detroit to take him. 

It was a bit more return than I thought though, as I'd say maybe half of the second 1st covered the Goff contract... But not that far off. 

1 hour ago, menobrown said:

The value of a future first is not the same as the value of a current first. Bill Parcells once said he considered value of a future pick a round less then value of current pick.

The Lions let the Rams keep their highest pick this year.

The Rams draft pick is not high, with Stafford it's a good bet it won't better then it was.

There is no way the Rams can make this trade if the Lions don't take Goffs $42M real guaranty, $52M likely guaranty off their hands the next two seasons. Osweiller drew a second round pick when had about half that amount money due to him. Goff is McVay's hand picked guy and he just got benched for John Wofford. This is a worse take back for Lions then Osweiler because he's on their books for two years.

So yea, Stafford may not be doing the Lions any good but this was not the deal to make and I'll probably never be convinced that trading Stafford to the team he wanted to go got you back the best deal.

Those future 1sts are worth MUCH more than current 2nds for a team like Detroit right now

Its ammo to go get their guy maybe next year or even the year after.

And there is certainly no guarantee the Rams get them back two super late 1sts.  Anything can happen.  

Personally (without knowing what other teams were offering) I would be very happy to have made this deal if I were a Lions fan.

As for Parcells, when your job is on the line, you would prefer the help now rather than later, hence his valuations.  Those are not true valuations though

Edited by ghostguy123
  • Like 2

Just one league execs opinion:

@JosinaAnderson

League source gives opinion on #Lions decision to take the #Rams deal for Matthew Stafford: "The Rams were screwed with a bad contract on (Jared) Goff and the #Lions helped them and don't even get a good pick this year. The Washington offer was better.

@JosinaAnderson·

League source continues on #Lions/ #Rams Stafford deal: "Detroit would be better not taking on (Jared) Goff. They are in rebuild now (mode) with an expensive quarterback, who won't be there when they are rebuilt."

And below from Peter Schrager, no idea what those other offers, that exec that Josina quoted said the WAS offer was better but that's his opinion but this certainly sounds below to me like trading Stafford were he wanted to go instead of maximizing the trade was a factor.

@PSchrags

More details trickling in... Stafford wanted to play for McVay and be in LA. Lions did him right in the end. There were other offers. Very good ones, too. Detroit and Rams front offices both knew that this was the trade that made all parties happiest— teams, player, coach.

• Like 1

Is there no value to the franchise when you actually have a good break up with the guy who was the face of your franchise for the past decade?

I would love to know the other offers though.

But again, the lack of picks in this draft to me is irrelevant in an obvious rebuild.

• Like 3

Thinking your future 1sts will be both be late is one of the many reasons Bill O’Brien got himself fired. A lot can happen to a team in two seasons.

To me this was LA paying a 1st and 3rd for Stafford, and another 1st for Detroit to eat Goff’s contract. Osweiler’s contract was about half that cost and took a 2nd to offload, a 1st fits for Goff IMO.

By not getting picks this year though that pushes the Lions rebuild back at least another year, so IMO big arrow pointing down for Swift and Hockenson. Having that much cash tied up in Goff probably means Golladay is almost certainly signing somewhere else now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rotoworld take:

Rams acquired QB Matthew Stafford from the Lions in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick, a 2022 first-round pick, a 2023 first-round pick, and QB Jared Goff. 

First-round picks remain purely theoretical in Sean McVay's Los Angeles. One of the biggest NFL trades in years is also one of the most complex. Stafford's cap number and dead money is one thing. Goff's is an entirely different dimension. McVay could no longer hide his disdain for Goff and his inability to generate instant offense, and he gets a quarterback in Stafford who has never hesitated to go big-play hunting. He has also gotten more efficient and less turnover prone over as he's aged, though his nearly decade-long iron man streak was interrupted in 2019 by a broken back before he played through a number of issues in 2020. Stafford has always seemed capable of something more. Now we will finally get to find out as he teams up with one of the brightest offensive minds in the league. A 2020 fantasy disappointment, Stafford inherits an intriguing Rams skill corps led by YAC monsters Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp. 

RELATED: 

Jared Goff

, Detroit Lions

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jan 30, 2021, 10:09 PM ET

11 hours ago, menobrown said:

McVay is the best thing to happen to the Rams franchise since they found Kurt Warner.

Nope.  He's in  the same class as Bill O'Brien.

7 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade up in THIS draft.

But my prognostication skills are obviously in question.

Maybe, but right now I don't see much difference among the top QBs other than Lawrence (whom I assume is off the market) If they do, then they probably do trade up. 

5 hours ago, Faust said:

That's a tough division, but they're definitely among the top teams in the NFC now.   

With all due respect to Calvin, this should easily be the best offense Stafford has led.

Unless the Rams trade other picks/players for one in the next 2 years, they will go SEVEN straight years without making a 1st round pick.

That’s insane. 7 years without a 1st round pick and giving out those huge contracts to Gurley and Goff before cutting both just a couple of years later...how do Snead and McVay still have jobs? I guess making it to the Super Bowl buys you a lot of leeway. 

8 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

I think it was pretty close to what I said.  A little more than a single first. 

People are spinning this as if they got Goff and 2 1sts for Stafford.  With Goffs contract the Rams had to pay more to Detroit to take him. 

It was a bit more return than I thought though, as I'd say maybe half of the second 1st covered the Goff contract... But not that far off. 

Right, the compensation of this trade was more than partially driven by the Rams cap management. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

Unless the Rams trade other picks/players for one in the next 2 years, they will go SEVEN straight years without making a 1st round pick.

That’s insane. 7 years without a 1st round pick and giving out those huge contracts to Gurley and Goff before cutting both just a couple of years later...how do Snead and McVay still have jobs? I guess making it to the Super Bowl buys you a lot of leeway. 

How do they still have jobs? The Rams went 4-12 in 2016 and had not had a winning record since 2003 -- 14 seasons earlier. Then Snead and McVay took over. Since then:

• 2017 - 11-5, playoffs, lost in WC round
  • 2018 - 12-4, playoffs, lost in Super Bowl
  • 2019 - 9-7, no playoffs
  • 2020 - 10-6, playoffs, lost in division round
  • Overall - 42-22 regular season, 3-3 postseason

Seems pretty easy to answer. Sure, they arguably could have done better with smarter decision-making, but there aren't many teams in the NFL who would be unhappy with that track record over the past 4 seasons.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just read the past couple pages of the thread since the trade. I haven't seen many people actually comment on Stafford himself and how good he is at this point. It seems that many are assuming that he is better than I think he is. Sure, he's better than Goff, but Goff is in the bottom third of NFL QBs, so that isn't saying much.

Are people really that high on Stafford, or is it the expectation that McVay will elevate his game significantly at age 33?

From Dustin Baker on Twitter:

Matthew Stafford v. Jared Goff, Last 50 Starts:

Stafford-- 13,401 Pass Yds 79 Pass TDs 32 INT 65.1% Comp 94.7 Passer Rating 2 Rush TDs 15 Fumbles Lost

Goff-- 13,898 Pass Yds 82 Pass TDs 42 INT 64.7% Comp 93.1 Passer Rating 8 Rush TDs 16 Fumbles Lost

Edited by FunkyPlutos
  • Thinking 1

Just so happy for Stafford.  Finally a Lion great gets to leave and show what he can do in a real franchise.

Personally, I've tagged along as a Lions fan since Barry was drafted, then Calvin, and Stafford.  This presents an amazing opportunity to tag along with Stafford and escape watching Detroit throw Goff and those draft picks down the drain over the next few years.

Hello Rams!

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

Just read the past couple pages of the thread since the trade. I haven't seen many people actually comment on Stafford himself and how good he is at this point. It seems that many are assuming that he is better than I think he is. Sure, he's better than Goff, but Goff is in the bottom third of NFL QBs, so that isn't saying much.

Are people really that high on Stafford, or is it the expectation that McVay will elevate his game significantly at age 33?

I think it is as simple as the Rams have been successful despite poor qb play. Stafford is not a poor qb.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

I think like every Lion (even Barry and Calvin) - Stafford is sorely underrated.

Yes - I think McVay will show us what Stafford can do on a winning team.

• Like 2

I interesting deal, I see what both teams are doing...for Detroit you get two #1's and a #3 which is a nice haul for a 33 year old QB...they also get Goff (and his contract) who may be a better fit in their new system but is more likely a bridge QB...if they are eying a QB like Lance then having Goff for two years makes sense....as for the Rams it is Super Bowl or bust and they obviously felt Goff was not the QB they could do it with and they really did not have too many options on how they could upgrade so getting Stafford was their best opportunity...the Rams are very unconventional with their roster building but it does appear to be working as they have been one of the better teams since McVay took over and this deal should make them even better, at least for a few years.

The real intriguing part for me is how does Stafford do here...no doubt he is a talented QB and has put up some nice career numbers but he has never really played under the microscope like he most certainly will be under now...anything short of a Super Bowl will be viewed as disappointing and that is a lot of pressure...this move will definitely weigh very heavily on his legacy...if he goes to LA and lights it up and wins a ring he will be looked at much differently then he is now and it will be easy to give him a pass on the wins and losses in Detroit...yet, if he goes to LA and is just OK and he doesn't help them get closer to a ring he will end up being one of those guys viewed as having a lot of empty calories (I heard that term on the radio this week) in his career.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Just Win Baby said:

I have Stafford in one league. This news neither excites me nor disappoints me really. For fantasy he’ll continue to be a decent stopgap QB for emergency use. He won’t win or lose you games really.

I think Stafford is a very good, not great and far from elite NFL QB. I think it came down to McVey really wanting Goff gone. I do think Stafford improves that offense if he stays healthy though. 

Rapoport

@RapSheet

·

10m

To understand the value of what the #Lions received for Matthew Stafford: Detroit had a 2021 1st rounder on the table from a few teams. They chose to take on Jared Goff & his guaranteed money, plus two future 1st rounders, instead. Stafford wanting to be in LA helped spur things.

1 hour ago, FunkyPlutos said:

From Dustin Baker on Twitter:

Matthew Stafford v. Jared Goff, Last 50 Starts:

Stafford-- 13,401 Pass Yds 79 Pass TDs 32 INT 65.1% Comp 94.7 Passer Rating 2 Rush TDs 15 Fumbles Lost

Goff-- 13,898 Pass Yds 82 Pass TDs 42 INT 64.7% Comp 93.1 Passer Rating 8 Rush TDs 16 Fumbles Lost

Wow! Seeing it like that puts it in perspective. Thank you! 

For Stafford to have achieved very similar numbers to Goff while playing for a bad team with Patty cake as coach - makes you drool to imagine what he might be capable of in LA with McVay and all that talent. 50% more? 75%? To the moon Stafford! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Truebluey said:

Wow! Seeing it like that puts it in perspective. Thank you! 

For Stafford to have achieved very similar numbers to Goff while playing for a bad team with Patty cake as coach - makes you drool to imagine what he might be capable of in LA with McVay and all that talent. 50% more? 75%? To the moon Stafford! 

:lmao: 

2 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

Snead and McVay took over. Since then:

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

Rams salary cap figures for 2021 ...

• DT Aaron Donald: $27.892M
  • CB Jalen Ramsey: $22.5M
  • QB Matthew Stafford: $20.0M
  • WR Cooper Kupp: $14.5M
  • WR Robert Woods: $13.875M
  • LT Andrew Whitworth: $11.167M

Total for Top 6: $109.934M

Rams will have to keep hitting on middle-rounders.

---------------------------------------------------

Rams’ first-round picks:

• 2017: Rams traded this first-round pick as part of the package to move up and draft Goff in 2016.
  • 2018: Rams traded this first-round pick to acquire receiver Brandin Cooks from New England.
  • 2019: Rams traded this first-round pick to move down and acquire second- and third-round picks from Atlanta.
  • 2020: Rams traded this first-round pick for Jalen Ramsey.
  • 2021: Rams traded this first-round pick for Jalen Ramsey.
  • 2022: Rams traded this first-round pick for Matthew Stafford.
  • 2023: Rams traded this first-round pick for Matthew Stafford.
12 hours ago, Truebluey said:

Don't sleep on Van Jefferson next year.

What do you see his value in a Dynasty League now? He still has Kupp & Woods in front of him in 2021.

Anywhere but the Pats.   Worth a chuckle.  What a reversal that has been in such a short time.

The more I think about this trade, the more I like it for Detroit.  Those two future 1sts are better than some mid 1st this year, even with the Goff contract.  

If they really did get 1st round value, even a 2023 1st, for taking Goff that is well worth it to me.  Absorbing his contract isnt going to be affecting them in 2023 when ideally they will be looking to compete. That is a perfect trade scenario because it greatly helps both teams for what they are looking to do.  

Plus, as I mentioned before, there is ALWAYS the possibility that one or even both of those Rams 1st round picks could be high picks.  The NFL is crazy like that.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Anywhere but the Pats.   Worth a chuckle.  What a reversal that has been in such a short time.

The more I think about this trade, the more I like it for Detroit.  Those two future 1sts are better than some mid 1st this year, even with the Goff contract.  

If they really did get 1st round value, even a 2023 1st, for taking Goff that is well worth it to me.  Absorbing his contract isnt going to be affecting them in 2023 when ideally they will be looking to compete. That is a perfect trade scenario because it greatly helps both teams for what they are looking to do.  

Plus, as I mentioned before, there is ALWAYS the possibility that one or even both of those Rams 1st round picks could be high picks.  The NFL is crazy like that.  

Barring injuries, the 1st round picks will not be top 10.

7 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

Solid point, but they will be #1 picks which carry an extra year of team control.  Biggest difference between a late 1 and an early 2.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

Of course.

However, pretty sure injuries happen quite a bit in the NFL.  

The trade was good even if both 1sts end up in the early-mid 20s.  

The trade was bonkers good if the Rams get hammered with injuries or stars who want traded or whatever. 

• Like 1

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Broncos, Panthers, Bears, 49ers and Patriots all "inquired" about new Rams QB Matthew Stafford before his trade from the Lions. 

Per Rapsheet, the Broncos, Panthers and Bears all offered "more than a first-rounder." It is just the latest indication that it's going to be a wild west offseason for quarterbacks. Stafford's deal was complex because it required the Lions taking on Jared Goff's bad contract, but if Stafford is drawing this kind of interest and trade compensation, one can only imagine what Deshaun Watson might fetch. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jan 31, 2021, 6:50 PM ET

16 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Of course.

However, pretty sure injuries happen quite a bit in the NFL.  

The trade was good even if both 1sts end up in the early-mid 20s.  

The trade was bonkers good if the Rams get hammered with injuries or stars who want traded or whatever. 

Lion fans have no choice but to root against him to make those picks better.

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports the Panthers offered the Lions the No. 8 overall pick plus a "later" selection for Matthew Stafford. 

Per Breer, the Washington Football Team also offered the No. 19 pick plus a third-rounder. NBC's Peter King reports at least one other team offered a first-rounder. Teams were coming hard in the paint for a player a week shy of his 33rd birthday, one who has had some injury issues creep up over the past two years. Despite his question marks, it cannot be debated that Stafford's talent is a plane higher than Jared Goff's. 

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

, Washington Football Team

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated 

Feb 1, 2021, 12:34 AM ET

On 1/31/2021 at 8:58 AM, Just Win Baby said:

I know it's fantasy and not NFL, but FantasyPros dynasty rankings has 33 year old Stafford at #15 and 26 year old Goff at #18.