What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Stafford, LAR (2 Viewers)

Overrated as a real life qb (not fantasy)?

• Way overrated

Votes: 82 15.0%
  • Slightly overrated

Votes: 153 27.9%
  • Rated just where he should be

Votes: 190 34.7%
  • Slightly underrated

Votes: 95 17.3%
  • Way underrated

Votes: 28 5.1%

• Total voters
I can't believe I put this guy in over Cutler. I even thought it over. Had Eddie Royal played I would've stuck with Cutler. Never change your lineup at 1245pm.

In the last play of the 1st Q of MNF just now, the Catds were showing blitz. Flacco adjusted the blocking scheme, then hit his TE (coming out of H-back or stacked right tackle spot) on the hot route.

It occurred to me I haven't see Stafford make that adjustment or a similar throw in years. But I'm pretty sure he used to often hit hot routes when blitzes were coming (usually to WRs.)

It's weird, like the OC at some point decided "too risky, this isn't within your capability."

Am I off base or misremembering?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Lions coach Jim Caldwell said part of the decision to promote Jim Bob Cooter to offensive coordinator was his relationship with Matthew Stafford.
"I think that's one of the things that we considered strongly because of the fact that those two worked so closely together," Caldwell said. "It's tough anyway, but it makes it a little bit easier just in terms of the communication. I found it to be that way." Cooter is expected to call the plays, but Caldwell will likely play a big role in game planning each week. The new coaching staff's first order of business will be to find a way to protect Matthew Stafford so he can push the ball downfield to Calvin Johnson more consistently.

Source: Detroit Free Press
Oct 27 - 9:34 AM

Lets add in that he's kinda dumb, which I actually suspected: "In fact, new offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter actually had to simplify things for Stafford. All of which, in part, leads to the conclusion that Stafford's days in Detroit are very much numbered."

Once he's gone it may come out that he couldn't read a D to save his life. David Carr's flaws only came out after they totally gave up on him. I remember when Kubiak came to the team and he said to Carr, 'You have been in this league 'x' years, how can you not know that? I forget what it was he didn't know but it was pretty basic for an NFL QB.

People getting fired trying to take people with them.

Stafford is 1000x better than any replacement they can find.

22/25-254-3 148 rating

The Lions had more yards (546) versus Chicago and scored more points on Thanksgiving, but I feel like last night the offense was as efficient as at any time this year. Ran the ball well, stayed with what was working - short passes outside and the open middle, since the Saints were rolling the safety to Calvin every play. Season low 3 punts by Sam Martin.

I'm headed into the championship game with the uninspiring duo of Stafford and Carr at QB. Thoughts on his matchup at home with SF this week? 49ers have given up a good amount of yardage but a low number of pass TDs this year.

I am trading Brees and couple 2nd round picks for Stafford in dynasty if Brees can't go this week. Either that or pick up and start Mettenberger for the championship. Stafford in the dome usually good for 250 and 2 tds

22/25-254-3 148 rating

The Lions had more yards (546) versus Chicago and scored more points on Thanksgiving, but I feel like last night the offense was as efficient as at any time this year. Ran the ball well, stayed with what was working - short passes outside and the open middle, since the Saints were rolling the safety to Calvin every play. Season low 3 punts by Sam Martin.
What we can conclude from 2 years of Caldwell is that his lameass strategy can win games against weak D's and has virtually no chance vs middle of the road and better Ds.

Stafford's just fine!

(decent offensive schem and put in a decent line with hopefully tootalage from someone with a brain for QB's and he will play well)

Quietly one of Staffords better seasons despite the impotence at the headcoach position.
Stafford's improvement under Cooter may save Caldwell's job. They seem to be tied together although there is a shot that the OC could be kept even with the HC fired.

Quietly one of Staffords better seasons despite the impotence at the headcoach position.
Rode him to a championship that I would have lost with Rodgers at QB. He has his moments although I still question his consistency. Overall, I'm happy with the win but probably keep Rodgers (of the two).

Rotoworld:

Matthew Stafford completed 28-of-39 passes for 298 yards and three touchdowns in the Lions' Week 17 win over the Bears.

The Lions' season circled the drain during a brutal 1-7 start, but Stafford found new life after the Week 8 firing of OC Joe Lombardi. Under the direction of interim OC Jim Bob Cooter from Week 10 on, Stafford amassed a sterling 19:2 TD-to-INT ratio in Detroit's final eight games and completed nearly 70 percent of his passes during that stretch. A cupcake second-half schedule certainly played a role, however, while 30-year-old Calvin Johnson showed clear signs of decline. It's possible Stafford will be overvalued in 2016 fantasy drafts based on his red-hot finish. Either way, it's clear that Stafford isn't the problem in Detroit.

Jan 3 - 5:01 PM

Rotoworld:
Nice Stafford 2015 second half "fun fact".

"Under the direction of interim OC Jim Bob Cooter from Week 10 on, Stafford amassed a sterling 19:2 TD-to-INT ratio in Detroit's final eight games and completed nearly 70 percent of his passes during that stretch."

Currently the #1 QB in my league, pending MNF. Nice for a guy I got late in the draft.
Stafford is steal of the draft at the QB position so far. Most were able to get him round 10+ in 12 team leagues. His ros schedule is ridiculously easy. It's been fun watching my combo of Stafford and Marvin Jones.

I honestly picked him up as my QB2, while I waited for Brady to recover. I was going to deal him after this week for hopefully Frank Gore or some equivalent RB2/3/Flex guy.

Now I might trade Brady instead and keep Stafford.

Incredible value.
Honestly I would keep Stafford. His schedule is best ros. Plus if you compare defenses Detroit is going to air it out all year while NE will use blount to finish games. 

Got him as my QB2 behind Wilson in a Start2-QB league. Was over the moon on Draft Night and even happier about it now. Loved Stafford all offseason and barring injury feel confident in his Top 3-5 potential. Lack of a running game and a weak defense should keep him throwing it a ton all season long.  

@Chi, PHI, LAR, WAS, @Hou, @MN, JAX, MN, @NO, CHI, @NYG, @Dal...it's not as juicy as you would like. Could sell high in redrafts. Think about where you drafted him vs what you could deal him for, 

@Chi, PHI, LAR, WAS, @Hou, @MN, JAX, MN, @NO, CHI, @NYG, @Dal...it's not as juicy as you would like. Could sell high in redrafts. Think about where you drafted him vs what you could deal him for, 
Would not label LAR in red in Detroit.

Stafford is my late draft QB1 anchor and there are plenty of fill ins on the waiver wire to avoid PHI, HOU, MN.

I got brady waiting.  Guess I should see what I can get for Matthew
As someone who had Brady last season and endured (and fortunately survived) his truly horrid December (which has happened to him a few times in the recent seasons), I think I'd rather have Stafford. I'm no Blount fan but he's a better lead RB than anyone the Lions have in my opinion and New England's D is much better than Detroit's too. I think the Lions are gonna be in a lot of games where Stafford's throwing it 35-40 times a game. Sheer volume could push him to Top 3-5 fantasy status this season and it wouldn't surprise me to see him finish as QB1. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Stafford owner. I targeted him because I think he has huge upside this season and to this point it's all happening.  

As someone who had Brady last season and endured (and fortunately survived) his truly horrid December (which has happened to him a few times in the recent seasons), I think I'd rather have Stafford. I'm no Blount fan but he's a better lead RB than anyone the Lions have in my opinion and New England's D is much better than Detroit's too. I think the Lions are gonna be in a lot of games where Stafford's throwing it 35-40 times a game. Sheer volume could push him to Top 3-5 fantasy status this season and it wouldn't surprise me to see him finish as QB1. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Stafford owner. I targeted him because I think he has huge upside this season and to this point it's all happening.  
Was thinking the same thing myself.  it won't hurt to see what I could get.

Ugh.  A dud vs effing Chicago?  And now against a Phi D that has not allowed a passing TD all year.  Granted 2 of those were Cle and Chi. 

Anyone rolling with him this week?  He's basically all I have. :bag:

Ugh.  A dud vs effing Chicago?  And now against a Phi D that has not allowed a passing TD all year.  Granted 2 of those were Cle and Chi. 

Anyone rolling with him this week?  He's basically all I have. :bag:
He's an obvious sit this week as are all lions offensive players.  Philly d is for real.  

Make other plans.  I'm starting Winston in car over him this week.  Better matchup on paper but can't say I'm confident in him either lol 

Same boat, I will be rolling him out there this week.  Hopefully it was just one really bad game.  I'm not expecting 30+ every week, but if he could just be middle of the road, I would be happy.

Not sure why but I'm feeling a trap game for the Eagles def this week. Stafford killed them last year with 5 tds(yes I know the defensive coordinator has been changed since). Starting Stafford with confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread