What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****OFFICIAL FORMULA ONE GRAND PRIX THREAD***** (2 Viewers)

cosjobs

Footballguy
I'm not that much of a car racing fan, but I do find the Grand Prix format infinitely more interesting than watching 50 rednecks drive in a circle.

Evidently this is a huge international sport. Hotel rooms in Austin were all sold out 3-4 months in advance of the Nov. 16 race and I hear the Super 8 was getting $500/night.

To begin to get in the spirit of the upcoming Austin event, I wager $50 on some guy named Button to win the Singapore Grand Prix tomorrow. Anyone know if its televised? Only thing I could find was a BBC 3 broadcast, but I don't get that channel.

'cosjobs said:
I'm not that much of a car racing fan, but I do find the Grand Prix format infinitely more interesting than watching 50 rednecks drive in a circle.

Evidently this is a huge international sport. Hotel rooms in Austin were all sold out 3-4 months in advance of the Nov. 16 race and I hear the Super 8 was getting $500/night.

To begin to get in the spirit of the upcoming Austin event, I wager $50 on some guy named Button to win the Singapore Grand Prix tomorrow. Anyone know if its televised? Only thing I could find was a BBC 3 broadcast, but I don't get that channel.
Yuuup...Going to Austin that weekend for it. CANT WAIT ~ Bart Scott

'cosjobs said:
:lmao:

Looking forward to it. The track looks pretty good within the confines of modern FIA circuit design regulations. There's a long downhill run into a semi-hairpin that should provide some passing opportunities.

Red Bull has reasserted their dominance at the last two races. Hopefully some other team will step up in Austin so it's not another Vettel runaway.

Looking forward to it. The track looks pretty good within the confines of modern FIA circuit design regulations. There's a long downhill run into a semi-hairpin that should provide some passing opportunities.Red Bull has reasserted their dominance at the last two races. Hopefully some other team will step up in Austin so it's not another Vettel runaway.
I was in Monaco about a week before the Grand Prix race this year and it was pretty cool to see all the setup that was/had taken place. I took a bunch of pictures (walked through the pit area and took some shots as well as empty grandstands and other parts of the course) and was able to watch the race on tv a week later to see the exact same spots "in action". Kind of cool.

Great race today. Had a little of everything. Never watched much F1 before just follow the headlines a bit. May start to tune in regularly.

Love that it's basically two hours and you're done. Less since I had it on DVR. Nicely packaged and thoroughly entertaining. :thumbup:

Great race today. Had a little of everything. Never watched much F1 before just follow the headlines a bit. May start to tune in regularly.Love that it's basically two hours and you're done. Less since I had it on DVR. Nicely packaged and thoroughly entertaining. :thumbup:
If you thought that was a great race (I didn't) you should check out IndyCar. The season opener yesterday in St. Petersburg FL was competitive from start to finish (and none of that team orders bull crap).

Crazy #### going on out at COTA lately. Apparent staff re-org underway.

- Ward Merrill (all-around git it done guy) fired.
- Jason Wade (Director of Track Ops) fired today.
- Marty Hunt (Facilities Operations Director) left for the New Jersey race
- Kevin Tao (sp?, Security Director) quit a few weeks back.
- Others quitting.

Hearing lots of bad stuff. Ex-Indy guy Harder on cost-cutting mission and bringing in his own guys...& much more.

New post on our FB page:

Who"s next? Imo. Anybody, who will not be part of the " go along to get along " gang. Really, what can you expect, when the owners and management, think the best way to run a race track, is to have 9 vice presidents and 11 directors. Then expect all the work to get done by 13 laborers, who have been kicked out of the X Game celebration, ( they were told they didn't belong there) and limited to 40 hours a week. The number of people, who actually care if this place crashes or not, are dwindling fast. Somebody told them, back when this was getting started, that a race track was not like horse racing or golf or trading stocks. So, they realize that, and go and hire someone who's 1 item resume was to be the the vice president of a sinking ship.Make no mistake, giant egos built this place, and continuously growing egos will tear it down.I know, for a fact, many suppliers and vendors, are way past 90 day on getting paid, all is not well with the whole concert thing, and people that care are being ran off. Somebody told me, " its never the guy that built the shopping center, that makes the money". In my opinion, its another sinking ship. I can't wait for new people to get their hands on it. They couldn't do any worse than this bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get why the sound of the new V6 engines is such a big deal. They still sound good, just not ear splitting loud. What am I missing?

Just started following last year.

Just finished watching qualifying.

Nice to see Ricciardo and Magnussen performing. Can't go for Vettel and my buddy already an Alonso guy.

Nice to see Vettel not dominating yet.

The intra-team dynamics have been fascinating so far. Races not as much. Mercedes dominating. But:

Hamilton v. Rosberg

Vettel v. Ricciardo

Alonso v. Kimi.

Have all kept up the interest.

Ricciardo is faster then Vettel this year which is sweet.

Would like to see Red Bull get it together by mid-season and start challenging Mercedes.

I don't dislike Vettel I just enjoy the challenge that is ahead of him. Let's see if he can respond.

Race at 11am eastern. Night race in Bahrain.

Button on ROS v HAM:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/28931224

Britain's Jenson Button says he feels sympathy with Lewis Hamilton after his Belgian Grand Prix was ended on lap two by a collision with Nico Rosberg.

"I feel for Lewis," Button said. "It's a shame it's not a cleaner fight.

"Any driver would look at it now, and I am sure Nico will look at it and say, 'I don't know what was I thinking'."

Button, who partnered Hamilton at McLaren for three seasons from 2010-2012, said he was perplexed by Rosberg's attempt to overtake Hamilton, adding: "There was nothing there.

"All there was was going off the circuit. There was no move. Strange. You should be able to judge situations like that a bit better."

"They [Mercedes and one of the their drivers] will still win the championships, but what has happened definitely adds spice to what is already a pretty spicy relationship.

"Is it good for the sport? It's negative because we didn't see a good battle between those two.

"But it does get everyone excited about the next GP in Italy, where none of the fans will be cheering for either of them and would love a coming together.

"It adds spice, but it's a shame in that true racers want to see them fighting."

Montezemelo out. Marchionne in at Ferrari, and in loosely related news, Santander Chairman Emilio Botin is dead of a heart attack at age 79: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29138310i:

Fiat's Marchionne to become new Ferrari chairman as Montezemolo quits. Alonso might want to go ahead and take that McLaren offer.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/10/fiat-ferrari-chairman-idUSI6N0QH01920140910

(Reuters) - Luca Cordero di Montezemolo will step down as chairman of Ferrari as of Oct. 13 and will be replaced by Sergio Marchionne, who also serves as the chief executive of parent group Fiat, Fiat said in a statement on Wednesday.
The departure of Montezemolo was widely expected after escalating clashes between the two executives over strategy and the role of the luxury carmaker within the Fiat group.

Luca's statement:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxJz4-9CMAAGdos.jpg

Trouble at COTA? Texas newspaper claims $250 million in state funds may be in jeopardy:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/trouble-at-cota-texas-newspaper-claims-250-million-in-state-funds-may-be-in-jeopardy
[
the problem cited in the Express-News story appears to be a technicality-based argument that claims, in essence, that the proper legal application for the money – which includes data supplied to and by Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone – may not have been in compliance with Texas regulations.

The story quotes Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson as saying: “The process was botched from the beginning ... it was clear then and it’s even clearer now, the statute was not complied with.”

An attorney for the state comptroller’s office, which is most directly responsible for administering the funds, said that even if a proper written application was not made, it is possible that “the application to Formula One Management Limited was oral, not written, so that a public information request would not elicit a copy,” which would seem to raise a whole new area of concern, if paperwork is not required for portions of a request that could result in millions of taxpayer dollars spent.

No luck with interview requests

The story said that neither Ecclestone, nor Bobby Epstein, head of COTA, has responded to requests for interviews. The track’s public relations officer resigned in June, and her replacement resigned in September, so Motorsport.com hasn’t been able to contact the track for a statement. Motorsport.com did contact Tavo Hellmund, who created and developed the project until he departed following disagreements with Epstein and other investors, but he declined to comment.

The $250 million sited in the story’s headlines is what could be paid by the state over a 10-year-period. Reportedly COTA has received at least $60 million from the Special Events Trust Fund, and from a separate fund for smaller events. COTA has the TUDOR United Sports Car Championship and World Endurance Championship races next weekend, SVRA vintage races October 10-12, and Formula One returns on November 2.

Source article in San Antonio Express News: $250M in state funding for F1 track in question:
http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/250M-in-state-funding-for-F1-track-in-question-5753674.php?cmpid=twitter-premium&t=95f298e6da73fef585

Circuit of the Americas could face challenge to Texas state-funding for F1, according to newspaper report :
http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/circuit-americas-could-face-challenge-texas-state-funding-f1-according-newspaper#sthash.SToCnsRf.dpuf

Hey Eephus. Great minds...

Adam Cooper
@adamcooperF1
Toto Wolff confirms no problems with HAM's chassis or gearbox after the FP3 crash, so he's all set for qual

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1
Q: Is VET the right driver for Ferrari? Christian Horner: "Drivers are not Ferrari's problem..."

Apparently Vettel was contractually free to walk away from Red Bull because he was outside the top three as of September 30

In fact it's been clear to the team for several races that Vettel would not reach that target, and that this could happen

The trigger for Vettel was @alo_oficial formally making it clear to Ferrari that he wanted out, thus freeing up a seat at Maranello

I thought this might be happening a while back, and now there are people saying it's happening. Hold onto your hats...

Hammy back to McLaren. Alonso to Mercedes.

Kinda makes sense. I had the sense by mid-season that Vettel might be on their way out, and Mercedes has already said their driver lineup might not be set. McLaren is wide open and obviously recruiting.

I thought this might be happening a while back, and now there are people saying it's happening. Hold onto your hats...

Kinda makes sense. I had the sense by mid-season that Vettel might be on their way out, and Mercedes has already said their driver lineup might not be set. McLaren is wide open and obviously recruiting.
I'm somewhat new to F1. Why would Hamilton want to move?

Hamilton has seemed unhappy at Mercedes most of the season. Apparently, Mercedes (with Hamilton approval) approached Ferrari for an Alonso swap. Ferrari said no way.

Hamilton wants tons of cash. Honda is giving tons of cash to Mclaren for a star driver. Mclaren is hunting a star driver...

Hamilton has seemed unhappy at Mercedes most of the season. Apparently, Mercedes (with Hamilton approval) approached Ferrari for an Alonso swap. Ferrari said no way.

Hamilton wants tons of cash. Honda is giving tons of cash to Mclaren for a star driver. Mclaren is hunting a star driver...
Hamilton has seemed unhappy but would be nuts to switch rides.

So according to your info Ferrari puts Vettel ahead of Alsono and Hamilton? Don't have an opinion on that pecking order.

Hamilton has seemed unhappy but would be nuts to switch rides.

So according to your info Ferrari puts Vettel ahead of Alsono and Hamilton? Don't have an opinion on that pecking order.
I'm not predicting Alonso to Merc, necessarily. I think he could end up at Merc or McLaren. I think at Ferrari he worked his way out of the contract and Vettel was Ferrari's first choice to replace him, wrong or right.

Like Eephus, me, Horner, and others have said though, the drivers are the least of Ferrari's problems.

Users who are viewing this thread