What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****OFFICIAL FORMULA ONE GRAND PRIX THREAD***** (1 Viewer)

Alonso on driver market: "I'm lucky enough to be able to choose where I go and when I want to go...Everything is going according to plan...Let's wait and see".

Talking heads making it seem like Vettel seeking a new challenge. I don't know. Bringing Red Bull back after this season seems like a challenge.

Are the differences among driver contracts often huge among the top rides?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the differences among driver contracts often huge among the top rides?
The numbers aren't made public so take these for what they're worth.

1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari €22m

= Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari €22m

=Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing €22m

4. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes €20m

5. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes €16m

6. Nico Rosberg Mercedes €12m

7. Felipe Massa Williams €4m

= Nico Hulkenberg Force India F1 €4m

9. Romain Grosjean Lotus F1 Team €3m

= Pastor Maldonado Lotus F1 Team €3m

= Sergio Perez Force India F1 €3m

12. Adrian Sutil Sauber €2m

13. Kevin Magnuseen McLaren-Mercedes €1m

= Valtteri Bottas Williams €1m

15. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing €750,000

= Jean-Eric Vergne Scuderia Toro Rosso €750,000

17. Jules Bianchi Marussia €500,000

18. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber €400,000

19. Daniil Kvyat Scuderia Toro Rosso €250,000

20. Max Chilton Marussia €200,000

21. Marcus Ericsson Caterham F1 €150,000

= Kamui Kobayshi Caterham F1 €150,000

Source: Business Book GP2014
The drivers at the back of the grid are bringing more money to the teams in terms of personal sponsorship than they take away in salary.

Could the manner of today's driver moves indicate 3-car teams are coming in 2015? Ferrari w/3 top drivers under contract for 2015. RBR with the quick promotion of Kvyat + Lauda's quick announcement that HAM & ROS will be their drivers in 2015. ALO sure all is well & says he's in the privileged position of being able to decide where he goes and when - and insists that he hasn't made the decision yet...

Hmm...

ETA: Hamilton: "I'm here so I plan to be here. Nico is also here, is he talking about a third car?....."

Are their any major changes on the horizon that would prevent Mercedes from being the prohibitive favorite next season?

I'm new to F1. Mercedes has built up an obvious advantage. One the comp hasn't really made much inroads on. What should be different next season?

Daywalker said:
Are their any major changes on the horizon that would prevent Mercedes from being the prohibitive favorite next season?

I'm new to F1. Mercedes has built up an obvious advantage. One the comp hasn't really made much inroads on. What should be different next season?
The cars will be all brand new, redesigned & built by the teams. The engines can be up to 48% redesigned (not sure how that's calculated), so there is possibility that others can gain ground. Honda will enter the fray as McLaren's engine supplier, with McLaren being their works team. That's where the biggest potential for change lies. There will be smaller rule changes that can affect things as well.

Personnel tend to move around also, and those moves tend to have an effect on the balance of power in F1. Red Bull's head of aerodynamics Dan Fallows will head over to McLaren next season. Perhaps more importantly, designer/aerodynamicist Peter Prodromou (Newey's top Red Bull design contributor) has just gotten onboard the McLaren ship. Other top engineers have been poached from Ferrari, Lotus, and Sauber.

Daywalker said:

The cars will be all brand new, redesigned & built by the teams. The engines can be up to 48% redesigned (not sure how that's calculated), so there is possibility that others can gain ground. Honda will enter the fray as McLaren's engine supplier, with McLaren being their works team. That's where the biggest potential for change lies. There will be smaller rule changes that can affect things as well.Personnel tend to move around also, and those moves tend to have an effect on the balance of power in F1. Red Bull's head of aerodynamics Dan Fallows will head over to McLaren next season. Perhaps more importantly, designer/aerodynamicist Peter Prodromou (Newey's top Red Bull design contributor) has just gotten onboard the McLaren ship.
F1 is using some kind of ridiculous token based system to govern the engine changes. The manufacturers get 32 tokens next year and a decreasing number each year after that through 2018. There's a lot of confusion about the new system and it's questionable how much of an impact it will have on costs. The head of Renault's F1 effort has said they could conceivably redesign their engines completely next year.

Daywalker said:

The cars will be all brand new, redesigned & built by the teams. The engines can be up to 48% redesigned (not sure how that's calculated), so there is possibility that others can gain ground. Honda will enter the fray as McLaren's engine supplier, with McLaren being their works team. That's where the biggest potential for change lies. There will be smaller rule changes that can affect things as well.Personnel tend to move around also, and those moves tend to have an effect on the balance of power in F1. Red Bull's head of aerodynamics Dan Fallows will head over to McLaren next season. Perhaps more importantly, designer/aerodynamicist Peter Prodromou (Newey's top Red Bull design contributor) has just gotten onboard the McLaren ship.
F1 is using some kind of ridiculous token based system to govern the engine changes. The manufacturers get 32 tokens next year and a decreasing number each year after that through 2018. There's a lot of confusion about the new system and it's questionable how much of an impact it will have on costs. The head of Renault's F1 effort has said they could conceivably redesign their engines completely next year.
Yeah all the cost-cutting measures are stupid and unenforceable anyway. Everyone spends as much as they can or want to...usually the former. So why not just stop pretending you can control it and let the teams go at it hammer & tong?

Bad end to a bad day. Marussia driver Jules Bianchi is being airlifted to a hospital after apparently hitting a crane that was clearing Sutil's car after it went off in the rain.

Former Formula 1 driver Andrea De Cesaris has died at the age of 55. The Italian was killed in a motorbike accident in Rome, the official F1 website confirmed.He started 208 races in his Formula 1 career between 1980 and 1994, but never won a Grand Prix, a record for the most races without a win.

He drove for British-based team McLaren for one season in 1981 and also raced for teams including Jordan, Brabham, Dallara and Alfa Romeo. De Cesaris won world championship points for nine of the 10 teams he raced for and finished on the podium five times.

In 1982, aged 22, he became the then-youngest driver to start a Grand Prix from the front of the grid after he took his sole career pole, with Alfa Romeo, at the US West round.
Worst weekend for the sport in 20 years.

Intentionally stayed away from this thread until I could watch this week's race, even though I had a sinking feeling via some vague Twitter comments that Bianchi had been hurt. Whoa. Did anyone else see the footage? It's a miracle he isn't dead.

Bottom line, they shouldn't have been racing in those conditions. Hope he's okay.

Intentionally stayed away from this thread until I could watch this week's race, even though I had a sinking feeling via some vague Twitter comments that Bianchi had been hurt. Whoa. Did anyone else see the footage? It's a miracle he isn't dead.

Bottom line, they shouldn't have been racing in those conditions. Hope he's okay.
It was a brutal, brutal impact, and I agree it's amazing that he's even alive.,,and we're very lucky nobody else was injured in the incident. Diffuse Axonal Injury. Not good at all. :sad:

I don't think there was so much of a problem with racing in those conditions as there is a problem with people ignoring flaggers and other safety precautions that are in place for just such events. There was a double yellow flag as Bianchi approached that incident, apparently at the 4 flagger stations preceding turn 7 where it happened. Double yellow means you must maintain a speed from which you can stop immediately, as there are workers inside the track area. Bianchi pretty much ignored them and was apparently going about 200KPH (~125MPH) when he hydroplaned and went off. That's far too fast in those conditions under a double yellow. The other concern is that in those worsening conditions maybe there should have been a Safety Car while the tractor and workers were out there, limiting the cars to a much safer speed and giving officials a better chance to evaluate whether to go ahead and end the race.

Following is a link to NBC Sports Group’s comprehensive motorsports coverage surrounding the F1 U.S. Grand Prix this weekend ... and a list I made, with a couple things added in and times converted to CST.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2014/10/27/nbc-sports-group-to-present-comprehensive-coverage-of-formula-one-united-states-grand-prix-on-nbc-nbcsn-this-weekend/

************Times are Eastern. (I've converted all times to CST in parenthesis):************

Date Coverage Network

Wed., October 29

Lewis Hamilton on the TODAY Show NBC 8am-noon (7am- 11am)

Thurs., October 30

Off The Grid (Encore) NBCSN 7 p.m. (6pm)
“1” – F1 Documentary NBCSN 7:30 p.m. (6:30pm)
Road To Mercedes (Premiere) NBCSN 10 p.m. (9pm)
Road to Ferrari (Encore) NBCSN 11 p.m. (10pm)
/DRIVE on NBCSN (Encore) NBCSN midnight (11pm)
/DRIVE on NBCSN (Encore) NBCSN 12:30 a.m. (1130pm)
Road To Mercedes (Encore) NBCSN 1 a.m. (midnight)
Off the Grid: Budapest (Encore) NBCSN 2 a.m. (1am)
Off the Grid: Singapore (Encore) NBCSN 2:30 am (1:30am)

Fri., October 31

Off The Grid (Encore) NBCSN noon
F1 United States Grand Prix – Practice 1 NBCSN 12:30 p.m.[ (11:30pm)/B]
Road To Mercedes (Encore) NBCSN 2 p.m. (1pm)
F1 United States Grand Prix – Practice 2 NBCSN 3 p.m. (2pm)
F1 Countdown NBCSN 4:30 p.m. (3:30pm)
F1 United States Grand Prix – Practice 2 (Encore) NBCSN 11:30 p.m. (10:30pm)

Sat., November 1

F1 United States Grand Prix – Practice 3 & Qualifying NBC Noon (11am)
F1 United States Grand Prix – Qualifying (Encore) NBCSN 12:30 a.m. (11:30pm)

Sun., November 2

(In Austin) KXAN Extended Coverage: 1:30 p.m (1230pm)
F1 Countdown NBCSN 2 p.m. (1pm)
F1 Countdown NBC 2:30 p.m. (130pm)
F1 United States Grand Prix NBC 3 p.m. (2pm)
F1 Extra NBC 5 p.m. (4pm)

Yep. For next year.

A few people have been saying this was coming (Parr, Kaltenborn, Montezemolo), but nobody wanted to hear it.
They're 9 teams now, right? 27 cars seems a bit much. Would think they'd prefer 8 teams with 3 each.

BTW, I had to laugh at the NASCAR finish yesterday. If it was F1 you can bet Dale Jr would have had a bad restart so Gordon could have gotten a free pass in the Championship.

As a fan of F1 minnows since the days of Rikki von Opel, I'm disappointed by the collapse of Caterham and Marussia. It's hard to see them coming back from missing races. To add insult to injury, f1rejects.com went offline (hopefully temporarily) in our hour of greatest need.

I don't see three-car teams as a solution at all. It increases costs and pushes the struggling teams further down the grid and point standings. Gene Haas clearly isn't an idiot so let's just say he's the most optimistic guy in the world to want to enter this racket now at the ground floor.

Sammy3469 said:
the hairy scotsman said:
Yep. For next year.

A few people have been saying this was coming (Parr, Kaltenborn, Montezemolo), but nobody wanted to hear it.
They're 9 teams now, right? 27 cars seems a bit much. Would think they'd prefer 8 teams with 3 each.

BTW, I had to laugh at the NASCAR finish yesterday. If it was F1 you can bet Dale Jr would have had a bad restart so Gordon could have gotten a free pass in the Championship.
I think just the top teams would be bringing 3 cars.

Took a couple of pics at the Red Bull Demo downtown today...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1JVFtUCYAAxu11.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1JSaQsCIAAB4mD.jpg

B1JVFtUCYAAxu11.jpg

B1JSaQsCIAAB4mD.jpg

Lewis is a deserving champion. I'm glad the double points nonsense in Abu Dhabi didn't change the outcome. The season overall was hurt by the dominance of Mercedes. There was a lot of good racing in the field but it's telling that the best race of the year was in Montreal when both Mercedes had problems. Other highlights were the emergence of Ricciardo and the resurgence of Williams. Lowlights were the ever increasing gap between the haves and have-nots, the demise of Caterham and Marussia and the tragedies of Schumacher and Bianchi.

Ernest Riveras ‏@ErnestRiveras 1h1 hour ago
Y mañana @movistar_F1 se desplaza a Woking para la presentación de @alo_oficial como piloto de @McLarenF1. Su compañero será @JensonButton.

According to Movistar's Ernest Riveras (Movistar TV Sporting Content Manager), Movistar F1 is going to Woking for the official presentation of Alonso, whose teammate will be Jenson Button. Also, if I'm reading his other tweets right, he says Alonso was one of the people pushing for Button.

Oof. Looks like there may be more problems looming for COTA.

'Is America's only Formula One track in trouble?'

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/is-america-s-only-formula-one-track-in-trouble/

How Circuit of the Americas may be facing an uncertain future.

After three Formula One races at the Circuit of the Americas, a 3.4-mile purpose-built road course in Austin, Texas, you might suspect COTA is riding high. You might be wrong.

The Austin Business Journal named COTA one of the stories to watch in 2015 in an end-of-2014 story: “COTA puts on big shows but struggles financially: Despite an estimated $897 million in economic impact, the Circuit of The Americas race track is still a long way from profitability. Attendance dropped again for 2014’s United States Grand Prix, and rumors of an effort by investors to sell the facility persist.”

That’s just the headline. COTA’s economic concerns may lie much deeper than that. Let’s look at how COTA got where it is – the good and the bad.
In the beginning…

That had to be the smallest starting grid since F1 was last at Indianapolis. It was a decent race, but totally screwed with my fantasy race team. :ptts:

Two U.S. teams on the F1 grid in 2016? It could happen

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/two-us-teams-on-the-f1-grid-in-2016-it-could-happen/

Promoter Tavo Hellmund and financier James Carney head US-based investment group looking to buy a Formula 1 team.

There’s a good chance that North America will have two, not one, Formula 1 teams on the grid in 2016, Motorsport.com can reveal.

Gene Haas's plans for a Ferrari-affiliated team entry next year are well advanced, but a group of investors headquartered in the United States are actively attempting to buy an existing team in a bid to also join the grid.

The group is headed by New York financier James Carney, and Austin businessman Tavo Hellmund, who developed the Circuit of the Americas track and cut the deal with Bernie Ecclestone to bring F1 back to the country.

More recently, Hellmund has spearheaded the return of F1 racing to Mexico City after a 23-year absence, when the Mexican Grand Prix returns to the calendar at the renovated Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez November 1.

Neither Hellmund nor Carney could be reached for comment, but a representative of Carney’s confirmed there was interest, though declined to say which team the consortium was focused on.

Sources have suggested it is the British-based Manor team, which is currently controlled by Irish businessman Stephen Fitzpatrick, founder of Ovo Energy.

Oh, and BTW, yet another in a long parade of key figures leaving COTA as ex-IMS exec and COTA GM/Senior VP Mel Harder was fired a few weeks ago. Position eliminated. Not good.

The bigger question is does it matter in the current snoozefest of F1. It's been brutal watching races for the last 2 years. They need to go back to basics but the current structure doesn't force them to pull their heads out of their ####.

The bigger question is does it matter in the current snoozefest of F1. It's been brutal watching races for the last 2 years. They need to go back to basics but the current structure doesn't force them to pull their heads out of their ####.
As much as I have enjoyed getting into the sport these last few years, I do have to agree that it's gotten a little boring this season. I'm certainly a noob to the sport but this recent stretch of races has been the most boring I've seen since I started watching. 9 races in and Mercedes has won all 9 poles and 8 of the races. There's been moments, it was cool when Raikkonen came on strong late in Bahrain, but for the most part it's just been Hamilton and Rosberg running away from the field. Rinse/repeat.

Yep...the decisions taken in order to pander to so-called 'green' groups, among other decisions of course, have been disastrous for the sport.

The idea that F1 needs to be 'road-relevant' is an utter myth.

Marussia has the back of the field to themselves so the only measuring stick for Rossi is teammate Will Stevens. Stevens outqualified Rossi but the American beat Stevens pretty handily in the race and didn't run into anything. Stevens isn't very highly regarded though.

Jason Dial, president & CEO of Circuit of the Americas, is out

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/exclusive-jason-dial-president-and-ceo-circuit-americas-out?utm_source=RacingDaily20151103&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=arrows-top&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awracingdaily

On the heels of a disastrous Formula One race ... several sources are reporting that Jason Dial, president and CEO of Circuit of the Americas, is leaving that position, apparently the latest in a long list of track executives to have come and gone.
Dial was hired two years ago from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where he was the marketing director, to be the track president, assisting CEO Steve Sexton. A month later, Sexton was out, and Dial assumed the CEO title.

I think we could all see the writing on the wall when Epstein hired Rittenberry to be the "Chief Strategy Officer", whatever that is. The revolving door continues to spin away at COTA.

The scoreboard will show another Mercedes 1-2 but Australia had a little bit of everything.  It was a very entertaining race and a incredible result for Haas F1.

Great race.  

Coverage always terrible on nbcsports.  It went from the Vettel show to him way back of rosberg with little explanation.

Verstappen just amazing.  18 years old.  He just stepped into that car on Friday.  What a moment in racing.  

What a race.  From start to finish.

F1 like prize-fighting.  A lot of duds by the great ones are a thing of beauty.

Not a huge race nut but that has to be up there for all-time races.

Users who are viewing this thread