What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anything wrong with Antonio Gates? (1 Viewer)

He is old, fat, and looks like he is scared he will get injured again. He is Micheal Turner playing tight end.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is old, fat, and looks like he is scared he will get injured again. He is Micheal Turner playing tight end.
Pretty much nailed it. Between the dropped TD the first week, the surprise no-start last week, and the turd this week, I'm wondering why I keep playing him!

Mathews coming back should help the offense a little. This team still misses V. Jackson a lot

This is pure comedy. People in here talking about dropping Gates. He looks just fine, regardless of his struggles the first two games that he's played. The entire SD offense appears out of sync.

Just goes to show that those training camp reports of "he's in the best shape of his life" are usually BS.

Just goes to show that those training camp reports of "he's in the best shape of his life" are usually BS.
Unless you actually saw him play in the preseason, when he appeared to be moving as well as he was pre-foot issues a couple years ago. I only own Gates in one league and have him backed up with Hernandez so I don't much care if he falls off the cliff, but my eyes tell me that he's just fine and that there's a whole lot of overreaction going on in here. Time will tell I guess.

Just bought him for Donald brown and Damaris Johnson. Doesn't get much lower than that. He's worth it just for the redzone looks

'Chazzhawk said:
This may be true. Gates has had a number of foot injuries, he does look chubby and slower and he is getting older. Add that up and see what you get.

I drafted Gates relatively early (after Graham and Gronk, of course) and I refuse to throw in the towel yet.

One more week and then I throw in the towel.

Gates deserves that much. He has earned it.

This week = 6/66/2

I drafted Gates relatively early (after Graham and Gronk, of course) and I refuse to throw in the towel yet.One more week and then I throw in the towel.Gates deserves that much. He has earned it.This week = 6/66/2
I can't believe all this talk about throwing in the towel on Gates? You all spent a relatively high pick to get him and you want to dump him after 3 weeks? He had a bad game last week, it happens. He'll be fine.

Rotoworld:

Antonio Gates has reportedly looked "quick and fit" during Chargers OTAs and minicamp.

Gates' speed and elusiveness are declining going on age 33. Over the last two years, he's averaging just 4.0 catches for 47.0 yards per game, serving mostly as a strict red-zone threat. Projecting players to reverse their career arc at Gates' age is asking for trouble. Despite scoring at least seven touchdowns in nine straight seasons, Gates is our No. 15 fantasy tight end.

Jun 12 - 8:17 AM

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego
Only one tight end in the history of the NFL has reached 1,000 yards at age 33 or more.

In 1965, Pete Retzlaff had 1,190 receiving yards at age 34. Antonio Gates, who turned 33 on Tuesday, is highly unlikely to become the second man to achieve the feat. Over the last two seasons, he's averaged just 47.0 yards per game while showing rapidly declining speed. He'll also be needed as a blocker often this year thanks to the Chargers' brutal offensive line. Owners drafting off Gates' name value are going to be disappointed.

Jun 20 - 8:54 AM

Source: ESPN.com

I'm not very high on Gates but if he is healthy I could see a bounce back year for him. Wesley Walls had a big year at 33 (#1 TE) after most people thought he was done.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Antonio Gates has reportedly looked "quick and fit" during Chargers OTAs and minicamp.

Gates' speed and elusiveness are declining going on age 33. Over the last two years, he's averaging just 4.0 catches for 47.0 yards per game, serving mostly as a strict red-zone threat. Projecting players to reverse their career arc at Gates' age is asking for trouble. Despite scoring at least seven touchdowns in nine straight seasons, Gates is our No. 15 fantasy tight end.

Jun 12 - 8:17 AM

Only one tight end in the history of the NFL has reached 1,000 yards at age 33 or more.

In 1965, Pete Retzlaff had 1,190 receiving yards at age 34. Antonio Gates, who turned 33 on Tuesday, is highly unlikely to become the second man to achieve the feat. Over the last two seasons, he's averaged just 47.0 yards per game while showing rapidly declining speed. He'll also be needed as a blocker often this year thanks to the Chargers' brutal offensive line. Owners drafting off Gates' name value are going to be disappointed.

Jun 20 - 8:54 AM

Source: ESPN.com
Once bitten twice shy. I read these kind of reports last year during camps and pre-season, did not work out so well. Keeping him but also making sure I have another quality option.

Problem last season is that defenses were still rolling bracket coverages his way and they never really let up. Ideally with the addition of Brown and Allen this season they will be forced to pay attention to other receiving options on the field. KC was pretty much the only team last season that played him straight up and Gates ate them up.

The offense in general needs to improve overall for Gates to improve. It would also help if he didn't get bruised ribs early in the season.

I wouldn't overpay for him, but there is some upside here.

Rotoworld:

Antonio Gates has appeared "quicker" this spring and summer than in any of the past three seasons.
The Union-Tribune concedes that Gates put together a Hall of Fame career in "marshmallow packaging," a reference to his doughy physique. Now that Gates' production has fallen off dramatically as he enters his age-33 season, he's cut out gluten and reshaped his body. Of course, Gates has made similar claims of a rejuvenation lately, only to fall victim to foot issues and an inability to separate or do anything at all after the catch. We're not buying a return to TE1 form, especially given the state of the Chargers' offensive line.

Problem last season is that defenses were still rolling bracket coverages his way and they never really let up. Ideally with the addition of Brown and Allen this season they will be forced to pay attention to other receiving options on the field. KC was pretty much the only team last season that played him straight up and Gates ate them up.

The offense in general needs to improve overall for Gates to improve. It would also help if he didn't get bruised ribs early in the season.

I wouldn't overpay for him, but there is some upside here.
The guy's draft stock has fallen so low that I'm likely to end up with him as my TE2 in nearly every league.

With the crash of the TE position at the top (Hernandez/Pitta & even Gronk), the potential of a 'bounce back' from guys like Gates/Finley have become even more appealing to the point where they could be TE1's.

What do writers and posters mean when they make reference to TE1? Per FBG scoring, he finished #12 last season. The default around here when unspecified seems to be a 12 team league, making him a TE1 last season. In fact, he has been a TE1 for 9 straight seasons now by that definition.

This year, Alexander will (hopefully) play all season, Brown returns, and Allen and Woodhead join the team. That is a significant upgrade in targets across the board. The OL should also be improved, as should the running game. And the new coaching staff is putting in a new offense that should get the ball out quicker.

If Gates is healthy, he should be a steal this year.

Not falling for this trick again. I don't care how good he looks in camp.
This. All we heard last year was how great he looked all preseason and he was a major disappointment:

-10 games with 3 catches or less

-Under 50 yards receiving in 12 of the 16 games

-Didn't score in 10 games, including two separate four-game stretches

That is a disappointment, no matter how you spin it.

Looks much better this year.

Antonio Gates motivated to change his body
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 5, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT

As athletically gifted as he’s been, Antonio Gates hasn’t been particularly defined.

But as he realizes he’s closer to the end of his career than the beginning, the Chargers tight end has changed his body this offseason to compensate.

According to Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego, and as was mentioned in the one-liners this morning, Gates has gone to a gluten-free diet, and looks leaner than at any point in his previous 10 seasons.

“I’m actually keeping my weight,” Gates said, “but it looks different.”

He hopes the new frame is going to help him stay healthier, as he’s battled foot injuries, and missed 10 games the last three seasons, going along with a dip in his statistics. That’s why he made a decision to change himself.
“It’s the motivation, man,” Gates said. “Just hearing people talk. I know you’re not supposed to listen to what people say, but there’s some collective things that got me motivated.”

The Chargers need Gates more than ever, changing offenses as they try to get quarterback Philip Rivers to the a standard he’s fallen short of in recent years as well.

Looks much better this year.

As athletically gifted as he’s been, Antonio Gates hasn’t been particularly defined.

But as he realizes he’s closer to the end of his career than the beginning, the Chargers tight end has changed his body this offseason to compensate.

According to Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego, and as was mentioned in the one-liners this morning, Gates has gone to a gluten-free diet, and looks leaner than at any point in his previous 10 seasons.

He hopes the new frame is going to help him stay healthier, as he’s battled foot injuries, and missed 10 games the last three seasons, going along with a dip in his statistics. That’s why he made a decision to change himself.

“It’s the motivation, man,” Gates said. “Just hearing people talk. I know you’re not supposed to listen to what people say, but there’s some collective things that got me motivated.”

The Chargers need Gates more than ever, changing offenses as they try to get quarterback Philip Rivers to the a standard he’s fallen short of in recent years as well.
Just like last season. The Gates offseason hype is like a broken record.

This a report from last year on roto 07/31/2012

After visiting Chargers camp, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport stated that he believes Antonio Gates is primed for a "big, big season.""The best thing is, he can actually run," Rapoport said. "... He is in shape. He looks skinny. He was burning cornerbacks left and right in practice. ... He is feeling healthier now than he's been in a couple of years. He is really looking like he's primed for a big, big season." We are also convinced Gates has at least one mammoth year left. His current ADP is the fifth round.

Fool me once...

What do writers and posters mean when they make reference to TE1?
12 team PPR format.

Given the many question marks of last year's TE1's (H.Miller/Pitta/Gronk/B.Myers(new team/3 superior receiving options/likely not going to be primary benefactor of garbage time stats)/Daniels(addition of Hopkins is going to steal targets)/Gresham(Eifert).

You can very well make the case that not only can the likes of Gates/Finley finish as TE1s, but very well mid level TE1s. Me personally I'd rather draft either of those 2 than Housler or Cameron for 2013. :shrug:

After visiting Chargers camp, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport stated that he believes Antonio Gates is primed for a "big, big season.""The best thing is, he can actually run," Rapoport said. "... He is in shape. He looks skinny. He was burning cornerbacks left and right in practice. ... He is feeling healthier now than he's been in a couple of years. He is really looking like he's primed for a big, big season." We are also convinced Gates has at least one mammoth year left. His current ADP is the fifth round.

Fool me once...
Exactly. Besides, I will fully admit that Gates so ruined one of my teams last year (had he been good as expected, I could have won a league instead of getting 3rd/4th place money basically) that I am jaded towards him now and will never get him on a team again.

What do writers and posters mean when they make reference to TE1?
12 team PPR format.Given the many question marks of last year's TE1's (H.Miller/Pitta/Gronk/B.Myers(new team/3 superior receiving options/likely not going to be primary benefactor of garbage time stats)/Daniels(addition of Hopkins is going to steal targets)/Gresham(Eifert).

You can very well make the case that not only can the likes of Gates/Finley finish as TE1s, but very well mid level TE1s. Me personally I'd rather draft either of those 2 than Housler or Cameron for 2013. :shrug:
:goodposting:

Top breakouts, busts for 2013

Excerpt:

Bound to disappoint

Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers

The days of "Antonio Gates, fantasy superstar" are long behind him. Gates finished 12th among tight ends last year, and a closer examination makes it a surprise he wasn't lower.

There were 10 games last year in which Gates was active and had three catches or fewer. Of the 32 qualified tight ends last season, only Zach Miller, Lance Kendricks, Anthony Fasano, Joel Dreessen and Benjamin Watson finished with three catches or fewer in more games than Gates.

Gates averaged 3.3 catches for 35.9 yards and 0.47 touchdowns per game last season, his lowest averages since his rookie season of 2003 (1.6 catches, 25.9 yards and 0.1 TD). The problems Philip Rivers had last year affected Gates (more on that below), but this is no isolated season.

Gates' involvement with the Chargers' offense has decreased each year since 2009. He was targeted on 17.2 percent of his routes last year, ranked 31st among 32 qualified tight ends. That's been steadily declining from 27.3 percent in 2009, 22.0 percent in 2010 and 20.6 percent in 2011. In addition, his 11.2 catch percentage ranked 30th among qualifiers. Given the inconsistent involvement, Gates needs to do significant damage in the end zone to salvage top-10 value.

That's where it gets even more troubling, though. From 2009-11, Gates was targeted on 31.1 percent of red-zone routes, trailing only Jimmy Graham among tight ends. Last year, Gates was targeted on 21.3 percent of red-zone routes, 22nd among tight ends.

At least Gates made the most of his targets, catching 7-of-10 for six touchdowns. There still may be a little value to owning Gates, whose preseason projection ranks seventh among tight ends, but there should be plenty more than six tight ends who finish better than Gates this season.

If I knew he was eating gluten last year there's no way I would have drafted him.

Why wouldn't every team give this guy the Calvin Johnson treatment weekly with no other solid options in the passing game.

Top breakouts, busts for 2013

Excerpt:

Bound to disappoint

Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers

The days of "Antonio Gates, fantasy superstar" are long behind him. Gates finished 12th among tight ends last year, and a closer examination makes it a surprise he wasn't lower.

There were 10 games last year in which Gates was active and had three catches or fewer. Of the 32 qualified tight ends last season, only Zach Miller, Lance Kendricks, Anthony Fasano, Joel Dreessen and Benjamin Watson finished with three catches or fewer in more games than Gates.

Gates averaged 3.3 catches for 35.9 yards and 0.47 touchdowns per game last season, his lowest averages since his rookie season of 2003 (1.6 catches, 25.9 yards and 0.1 TD). The problems Philip Rivers had last year affected Gates (more on that below), but this is no isolated season.

Gates' involvement with the Chargers' offense has decreased each year since 2009. He was targeted on 17.2 percent of his routes last year, ranked 31st among 32 qualified tight ends. That's been steadily declining from 27.3 percent in 2009, 22.0 percent in 2010 and 20.6 percent in 2011. In addition, his 11.2 catch percentage ranked 30th among qualifiers. Given the inconsistent involvement, Gates needs to do significant damage in the end zone to salvage top-10 value.

That's where it gets even more troubling, though. From 2009-11, Gates was targeted on 31.1 percent of red-zone routes, trailing only Jimmy Graham among tight ends. Last year, Gates was targeted on 21.3 percent of red-zone routes, 22nd among tight ends.

At least Gates made the most of his targets, catching 7-of-10 for six touchdowns. There still may be a little value to owning Gates, whose preseason projection ranks seventh among tight ends, but there should be plenty more than six tight ends who finish better than Gates this season.
Am I reading this wrong or is this the dumbest concluding sentence ever? Are they referencing their own projections and then calling them wrong?

Fool me once...
Exactly. Besides, I will fully admit that Gates so ruined one of my teams last year (had he been good as expected, I could have won a league instead of getting 3rd/4th place money basically) that I am jaded towards him now and will never get him on a team again.
I drank the Kool-ade last year. Never again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjyZwNBEuow

Gates is actually one of my bounce back guys this season. Most people don't realize that opposing defenses used bracket coverage on Gates virtually every game (KC was the only team that played him straight up and he burned Berry). This pretty much neutralized Gates because of the way Norv's offense worked. Defenses didn't need to use over the top coverage vs the WRs because the protection wasn't there for Rivers in a down field passing offense. With the change in offense this season, teams won't be able to use bracket coverage on Gates. He should excel working the middle of the field and the sideline on intermediate routes. The addition of Vincent Brown and Keenan Allen should provide a significant threat that wasn't there last year.

The offense already has 2 TDs to the TE this preseason. I expect that number to grow throughout the year.

Gates is actually one of my bounce back guys this season. Most people don't realize that opposing defenses used bracket coverage on Gates virtually every game (KC was the only team that played him straight up and he burned Berry). This pretty much neutralized Gates because of the way Norv's offense worked. Defenses didn't need to use over the top coverage vs the WRs because the protection wasn't there for Rivers in a down field passing offense. With the change in offense this season, teams won't be able to use bracket coverage on Gates. He should excel working the middle of the field and the sideline on intermediate routes. The addition of Vincent Brown and Keenan Allen should provide a significant threat that wasn't there last year.

The offense already has 2 TDs to the TE this preseason. I expect that number to grow throughout the year.
There's that (although I think the Chargers are clearly worse at WR now than they were a year ago, so I don't see Gates getting a break due to attention elsewhere) - then there's that he's old, slow and gets injured all the time. Oh, also the offensive line sucks at pass blocking. Maybe PPR would make it pay, but I wouldn't want to depend on it.

I think you're better off drafting LeDarius Green towards the end of your draft and let someone else ride the Gates rollercoaster.

Won't hang my hat on the guy but if by some stroke of luck he falls to where I'd feel comfortable taking him as TE2 then why not? Problem is, by the time where one usually takes TE2 he's long gone.

Now, if you feel he has simply slipped too far and you're feeling pretty nifty about your starters, give him a whirl.

He'll finish higher than last year, which means top 12 in PPR scoring. He's a borderline TE1 in a minefield of crap TE's this year.

There's that (although I think the Chargers are clearly worse at WR now than they were a year ago, so I don't see Gates getting a break due to attention elsewhere) - then there's that he's old, slow and gets injured all the time. Oh, also the offensive line sucks at pass blocking. Maybe PPR would make it pay, but I wouldn't want to depend on it.

I think you're better off drafting LeDarius Green towards the end of your draft and let someone else ride the Gates rollercoaster.
Oh noooo, we had Meachum starting last year at this time. People will be surprised how good Brown fits this offense. Ideally Floyd will be ready by week 1 too. Sprinkle in some Matthews, Woodhead, Allen, and Green and we have a MUCH better skills package compared to last season. It's a real shame we lost DX, but we are still in a much better position than last season.

Oh noooo, we had Meachum starting last year at this time. People will be surprised how good Brown fits this offense. Ideally Floyd will be ready by week 1 too. Sprinkle in some Matthews, Woodhead, Allen, and Green and we have a MUCH better skills package compared to last season. It's a real shame we lost DX, but we are still in a much better position than last season.
I always believe the posts that say "we"

Users who are viewing this thread