What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Report: NFL/NFLRA Agree to Deal (1 Viewer)

The Hank

Footballguy
Per Adam Schefter twitter account, Chris Mortenson is reporting that the NFL and NFLRA have an agreement at hand; and that refs could return as early as this weekend

Last edited by a moderator:
Report also indicates that the NFL and NFLRA are working towards having NFL Referees back for this weekend's games.

If GB fans egos weren't large enough, they'll now think they're the reason the NFL and Refs agreed to terms.

Dammit.

Now these refs haven't had any preseason to get up to speed, so it will take another couple weeks for these guys to settle in. Good football is soon to come, just not this weekend.

Rush to your books! Offensive scoring goes up this weekend as the DBs will no longer be allowed to mug the WRs.

Take the Overs!!!!!

Am I the only one who thinks that the real officials are going to be just as bad as the replacements? How can we expect them to be competent when they haven't had any time to practice or get up to speed? These guys have been sitting at home, away from the game for 9 months. There's just no way that they'll be able to jump right back into the ultra-fast-paced world of NFL games without a period of adjustment.

Am I the only one who thinks that the real officials are going to be just as bad as the replacements? How can we expect them to be competent when they haven't had any time to practice or get up to speed? These guys have been sitting at home, away from the game for 9 months. There's just no way that they'll be able to jump right back into the ultra-fast-paced world of NFL games without a period of adjustment.
:goodposting: Refs use the preseason just like the players - to get re-aclimated to the speed of the game. It will take a couple of weeks minimum.But, while they will miss a few calls, they should be more definitive in the calls they make, and be better at the administration of the game.

Referees work full time man. They have been spending 40 hours week practicing in front of a mirror and working out with ed hockuli. They'll be in tip top shape.

Update: Tweets from NFLN's Albert Breer, CBS' Jason La Canfora and even Colts' owner Jim Irsay state, while progress is being made, a deal has not been officially reached yet

Don't feel too bad for the displaced replacements. With "NFL Referee" on their resume they have a decent chance of getting back their jobs in the Lingerie Football League.

I think you may be dramatizing this a little bit.....I guarantee you the regular refs have not just been sitting around eating Doritos and throwing back cold ones.....I can promise you they take a great deal of pride in what they do on Sundays and they have stayed as prepared and as sharp as possible both mentally and physically knowing they could return at any moment....they probably learned a ton by being able to see what has transpired over the last several weeks...even though it is never really made public, these guys still work 12 months a year on this "second job"....they don't just quit the day after the super bowl and tee it up again prior to preseason game #1...there is a ton pr prepaartion that goes into getting ready for games prior to the season and during the season....and I don't mean to downplay it in any way, but some of it is also like riding a bike....especially for the guys that have done it for awhile....you may see a few things here or there but I think you will notice a drastic improvement not only in the things that are called/not called, but the administration of the game....the period of adjustment you speak of really shouldn't be that big.....in fact, I think you will end up feeling like they didn't miss a beat after the completion of their first week of games....officials are always open for a ton of heat.....but they take a lot of pride in a job where they are expected to be perfect while also getting better at the same time.....

Update: Tweets from NFLN's Albert Breer, CBS' Jason La Canfora and even Colts' owner Jim Irsay state, while progress is being made, a deal has not been officially reached yet
I think Schefter misinterpreted Mortensen's report. Mort only said that "an agreement in principle is at hand", and Schefter took that to mean that the deal was all but done. Sounds like there is still a long way to go.

I think you may be dramatizing this a little bit. I guarantee you the regular refs have not just been sitting around eating Doritos and throwing back cold ones. I can promise you they take a great deal of pride in what they do on Sundays and they have stayed as prepared and as sharp as possible both mentally and physically knowing they could return at any moment.
Of course.
Ed Hochuli suffers from what he calls the sickness. In a typical year, around mid-May, the NFL heralds its upcoming season by mailing to game officials an arcane, hundred-question rules test, including such queries as: On an onside kick from the A35, A1 is the first to touch the kick at the A42, and A2 then recovers the kick at the A46. During the kick, B1 blocks A3 below the waist at the A44. What's the call and why?But this year, well before the NFL Referees Association's collective bargaining agreement was set to expire on May 31, the zebras learned that no exam would be forthcoming. And so Hochuli, the NFLRA's famously mesomorphic elder statesman, preempted his union's impending—and now ongoing—lockout in the nerdiest way imaginable. For three months now, the 22-year veteran has been e-mailing his 120 fellow officials his own weekly test, replete with video clips.What's more, on each of the past eight Mondays, always at 9:30 p.m. EDT, the 61-year-old has moderated a voluntary hour-long conference call in which participants dissect the test's thorniest questions. On Aug. 13, for example, 95 officials devoted 30 minutes to discussing the fouls that require a 10-second clock runoff.

Actually, I hear them talking a few weeks ago that Ed Hockuli has, for this whole time, been hosting a weekly video conference in which every single ref has participated and they are having mock exams (similar to the ones they do before games in regular weeks). I don't think they will mentally be far off from where they have always been and, let's face it, they could be 75% worse from their own baseline and still be better than what we have had.

I think Schefter misinterpreted Mortensen's report. Mort only said that "an agreement in principle is at hand", and Schefter took that to mean that the deal was all but done. Sounds like there is still a long way to go.
Mort said on ESPN that simply discussing the possibility of getting the refs back for Sunday demonstrates how close they are.

ideally I hopoe the refs concede on the steps towrards full time refs and having a bench

The NFL should pay refs that are on the bench a certain percentage (75%?)

pemsion can be negotiated

Per Adam Schefter twitter account, Chris Mortenson is reporting that the NFL and NFLRA have an agreement at hand; and that refs could return as early as this weekend
They better because I'm not watching this garbage. Maybe more people like me canceled the RedZone.

ideally I hopoe the refs concede on the steps towrards full time refs and having a benchThe NFL should pay refs that are on the bench a certain percentage (75%?)pemsion can be negotiated
That's fine if the NFL concedes something too. I heard they conceded pension for future employees but not current ones.BTW this is known as collective bargaining.

They better because I'm not watching this garbage. Maybe more people like me canceled the RedZone.
I'm still thinking that the replacements were the reason they were giving me redzone for free the last 3 weeks.

ideally I hopoe the refs concede on the steps towrards full time refs and having a benchThe NFL should pay refs that are on the bench a certain percentage (75%?)pemsion can be negotiated
That's fine if the NFL concedes something too. I heard they conceded pension for future employees but not current ones.BTW this is known as collective bargaining.
From what I've read the new hires are under a plan more to the NFLs liking, older refs are grandfathered in.

Peter King claims not so fast.

@SI_PeterKing: I'm hearing NFLRA negotiator Scott Green has notified officials that a deal is not imminent. Stay tuned.

:thumbup: now lets watch these refs under the microscope
As I have said all along, that is not the point. Will the "regular" refs make bad calls? Yep. However, the issue wasn't just the bad calls. The real issue is the perceived validity of game outcome. With the regular refs, there at least is the presumption of "this is the bext of the best" - therefore, while some of their calls may be criticized for being wrong, there is at least the presumption that game results are "valid". That is NOT the case with the replacement refs. The fact that people were hoping the league's statement yesterday might somehow overturn the result is the proof.

:thumbup: now lets watch these refs under the microscope
As I have said all along, that is not the point. Will the "regular" refs make bad calls? Yep. However, the issue wasn't just the bad calls. The real issue is the perceived validity of game outcome. With the regular refs, there at least is the presumption of "this is the bext of the best" - therefore, while some of their calls may be criticized for being wrong, there is at least the presumption that game results are "valid". That is NOT the case with the replacement refs. The fact that people were hoping the league's statement yesterday might somehow overturn the result is the proof.
And the game management was completely out of control. Took way too long, players fighting, players and coaches completely disrespecting them. The product will certainly be much more orderly, even if not perfect.

Possible interesting twist in events.

Reports that a deal has been reached or is imminent, even if false, can really shift public anticipation. Everyone gets excited, and then if a side is seen as holding up a deal it can draw the full wrath of public opinion against them as being the ones at fault a deal isn't reached.

Not saying that is going on, but it's a possibility. If people recall last year, the players went nuts the night the owners voted to agree to the CBA, saying the owners had pulled a fast one and were voting on some deal the owners made up on their own. When in reality all the owners had done was vote to accept the latest proposal from the players. And it turned out it was a bunch of totally uninformed players who had no idea what had been voted on, behaving like children, rather than some owner's ploy.

Heath Evans was the worst of the lot that night. Still makes my head spin how he parlayed looking like a total ##### during that moment, to landing an NFL Network gig. But he managed it.

But I digress. It actually wouldn't be a bad ploy this time, if it were one. I'm not saying it is, but worth being aware of.

Now these refs haven't had any preseason to get up to speed, so it will take another couple weeks for these guys to settle in. Good football is soon to come, just not this weekend.
They have been working hard with what they had, though. Read an article about it. Long, long conference calls while watching tape, weekly quizzes, etc.

They have been working hard with what they had, though. Read an article about it. Long, long conference calls while watching tape, weekly quizzes, etc.
And yet you still had the referee Monday night night say that after review the final play was a touchdown and "the game is over". Any reasonably astute NFL fan knows that the point(s) after must be attempted except in sudden death - too bad that wasn't covered in all that training.

And yet you still had the referee Monday night night say that after review the final play was a touchdown and "the game is over". Any reasonably astute NFL fan knows that the point(s) after must be attempted except in sudden death - too bad that wasn't covered in all that training.
Huh? I'm talking about the real refs, none of which were present at the game or part of the broadcast. You may be talking about the former 25+ year ref they had in the booth or whatever, but he's not a real ref either any more.

Referees work full time man. They have been spending 40 hours week practicing in front of a mirror and working out with ed hockuli. They'll be in tip top shape.
Good posting! They get no excuses. These full time refs better have stayed in football ref shape during their time off!

Users who are viewing this thread