What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (1 Viewer)

Per that news, anyone rolling Sproles out there? Trying to decide between him and Langford. If Murray isn't active, gotta think he'd be worth it right?

Well..ESPN crew pretty much confirmed that Murray won't get much today. Schefter (and/or Riddick) said the Eagles would ride Matthews for as long as they can, Berry said Demarco shouldn't be in anyone's lineup today. Mort talked about how Matthews has been the best fit all season. Matthews it is

Dallas looking really smart not giving this bum a big contract.
Yeah sorry but he's not a bum. He's extremely talented. Just like Peterson and Gurley he needs opportunity. See what happens to any RB with only 10 touches a game. He's a bell cow and he gets better as the game goes on. He needs 25-30 touches a game and it's just not happening in this offense. It also doesn't help Philly plays from behind a lot. The only thing that is shocking for me is they don't use him in the receiving game as much because he has some of the best hands of any RB I have ever seen. That was always his strength going back to college. He is a three down back and Philly will never use him that way with a three headed RBBC. I am a big Demarco fan but I knew this would be a problem so I avoided him for fantasy purposes. Just the presence of Sproles alone makes you question his value due to lack of volume. I look forward to seeing him play for another team next year because this just isn't a fit for him. Matthews and Speoles seems like a great combo for Philly; they should give that a go for the rest of the season and see how it plays out, then let Demarco walk. Hopefully he finds a good team that can use a three down back so he can shine again. If that happens he will come right back to RB1/2 relevance depending on where he lands...
I just don't agree. Peterson runs with a physicality and violence like not other back. I haven't had the opportunity to watch Gurly. The idea that Murray is being used wrong has been debunked thoroughly. I've watched every snap. He's slow and lacks "suddenness." He's being outperformed by three--count them three--other running backs on this team. I don't doubt that he may dirt I. Elsewhere but he is no where near the talent of Peterson or McCoy for that matter.
Correct. Which is why Dallas didn't resign him, especially to such cap deadly amount, and why most of the fan base in Dallas was supportive of letting him walk to a division rival. Murray was ran into the ground in D. And is not even in the same realm of ADP, McCoy, etc.

I'm really trying to sell. I'm worried that the inconsistency we've seen so far in his usage will continue.

Edit: I just saw the Wisenhunt news. If Chip Kelly decides it's always sunnier in Tennessee, and the Eagles get a new coach mid-season, then I have hopes for Murray.
A) No

B) Hell no

C) Logic

The chance of Lurie letting Chip go before his contract is up is 0.00. The chance of the Eagles hiring a new coach mid year I s 0.00. To even use that as consideration on what to do with an Eagles player, even in a joking manner, is pure stupidity.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/philadelphia-eagles-demarco-murray-touchdown-010316

I'm really trying to sell. I'm worried that the inconsistency we've seen so far in his usage will continue.

Edit: I just saw the Wisenhunt news. If Chip Kelly decides it's always sunnier in Tennessee, and the Eagles get a new coach mid-season, then I have hopes for Murray.
A) No

B) Hell no

C) Logic

The chance of Lurie letting Chip go before his contract is up is 0.00. The chance of the Eagles hiring a new coach mid year I s 0.00. To even use that as consideration on what to do with an Eagles player, even in a joking manner, is pure stupidity.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/philadelphia-eagles-demarco-murray-touchdown-010316
Dang, I should have made bets based of Inseins odds. I would be loaded as if I won the Powerball.

A) NoB) Hell no

C) Logic

Dang, I should have made bets based of Inseins odds. I would be loaded as if I won the Powerball.
Genuinely shocked me. Very out of character for Lurie. So Chip must've been a complete A hole and from the reports, it sounds like he was.

Boy, was I wrong on this one. Everything went wrong, and there was nothing he brought to the table in any way.

Next year though! :coffee:

Tremendous buy low
Good call Steed.

DeMarco yards/carry

2011: 5.5

2012: 4.1

2013: 5.2

2014: 4.7

2015: 3.6

Its not like Dallas had a great line since 2011. DeMarco is a good RB, that was a bad fit with Chip Kelly's offense. Who knows whom the next coach will be, but the situation won't be worse for DeMarco. If the new coach doesn't like him, he can be traded in this offseason and the cap hit is only marginally painful for Philly.

Put me down as someone who does NOT think he's a buy low but would instead highly encourage someone out there willing to pay a little more than low and move him.

Put me down as someone who does NOT think he's a buy low but would instead highly encourage someone out there willing to pay a little more than low and move him.
Agree. He looked older and slower.

He COULD still be good and put up good numbers, but I think it would have to be volume numbers, and really not sure he will be given that opportunity.

If he has a nice 250 point PPR season on a huge amount of touches, I won't feel like I was wrong about him.

Tremendous buy low
If you could buy him at his value solely based on this year, I'd agree. I'm pretty sure that won't be the case though, people will still be factoring 2014 into his price.

I could definitely see a rebound (it's hard to do worse), but I don't think it's likely that he's a stud again. It looked like that 450+ touch season (almost 500 including the post season) really got the better of him, and he'll likely have to fend off Matthews for touches, who looked much better than he did.

Who fits better into the Doug Pederson offense, Murray or Mathews?
Does Pederson even have an offense? I think, assuming his style goes along with Reid - it would adapt to whatever he has. He (Reid) seems to prefer shiftier backs (Westbrook, McCoy), but he's used more traditional backs as well (Buckhalter, Duce).

Rotoworld:

ESPN Cowboys reporter Todd Archer believes Dallas would be interested in bringing back DeMarco Murray "if the numbers are reworked."

Murray said he wants to remain with the Eagles, but NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Murray and the organization "are not in a good place." The contract is an obstacle, but it is highly unlikely Dallas will get a shot at Murray regardless. The guaranteed money in Murray's deal makes cutting him difficult, and trades between division rivals rarely happen. Murray's future in Philadelphia remains murky, but it is unlikely he returns to Dallas.

Related: Cowboys

Source: ESPN

Feb 6 - 10:15 AM

Is Murray a free agent?

Last year the Boys and Murray were not far apart as people assume. Both Garrett and Romo wanted him back. They struggled to find a workhorse RB. Murray is a solid pass protector and Romo got injured because RB didn't' pick up a blitz.

If he's a free agent, it makes a lot of sense that they would like him back but I don't think he is a free agent.

EDIT: He's not a free agent and it doesn't look like he would get released.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2613876-demarco-murray-latest-news-rumors-speculation-surrounding-eagles-rbs-future?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

...Murray signed a five-year, $40 million contract with the Eagles before last season. He's scheduled to count $35 million against the cap over the remaining four years, including $8 million for 2016, according toSpotrac.

Philadelphia likely won't want to take on the aforementioned $13 million cap hit to release him, and the combination of his lackluster performance—he averaged just 3.6 yards per carry in 2015—and his remaining contract means a trade partner would be nearly impossible to find.

Meanwhile, Rapoport stated Murray hasn't asked for a release or a trade but that "it's fair to say Murray has eyes on greener pastures." The report listed the Seattle Seahawks, Cowboys andOakland Raiders as teams with potential interest if he is let go.

It's a situation that could become more tense during the offseason, but at least so far, it doesn't sound like any type of movement is on the horizon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the Eagles will just flat out cut him. However, I think they'd trade him for a late pick if they could find a taker. Their cap hit if they trade him is $4 Million in dead money. Not that bad.

As for a potential new location? Who knows, but I doubt they trade him back to Dallas for obvious reasons. The contract can be reworked, and it isn't all that daunting. Without any restructuring, its $9 Million guaranteed on a 4 year $31 Million dollar deal. The last two years are at a total of 16M with no guarantees.

Murray knows those last 2 years are wishful thinking. He also seems to want out of Philly. My guess is he'd take less than the 15M he's due over the next two years to go to another team as long as they continued to guarantee that 9M.

I don't think the Eagles will just flat out cut him. However, I think they'd trade him for a late pick if they could find a taker. Their cap hit if they trade him is $4 Million in dead money. Not that bad.
Not, it's actually a lot worse than that.

http://overthecap.com/player/demarco-murray/621/

If the Eagles were to release him, it would cost them 5 mill MORE in cap space than what his cap number is right now. There would be a $13 mill cap hit to deal with. They could designate him a June 1 cut, and eat half this year, and half next. It costs more to cut him than keep him.

The only option is if Demarco were to re-work his deal, to facilitate a release. Murray has a guaranteed salary of 7 mill this year, and recently said he wants to stay in Philly, so him taking some sort of pay cut to facilitate a trade seems unlikely.

I don't think the numbers work for any outcome this year aside from staying in Philly. If he has another bad year, it will be easier to let him go after 2016.

What about the interior?  I know Warmack was highly rated coming out of college but I thought all 3 in the middle were underperforming.
The just signed Center Ben Jones from the Texans. He was their starter last year.  He's also played LG.  

Also adding Rishard Matthews.  

This offense will be much better in 2016.  Maybe even middle of the pack.   

Gregg Rosenthal ‏@greggrosenthal  Mar 7
Mularkey isn’t trading for Murray to be careful with his workload. Bound to get 300+ carries

I think Demarco is one of the biggest steals this offseason.  What exactly went down there?  I mean, Kelly gets inexplicably fired before the final game.  Demarco goes for 54 yards and a score on his first carry (then proceeds to go 11 for 15 the rest of the game).   Is there a good account of what actually happened between Murray and Kelly?

I think Murray is getting downgraded because of the Chip Kelly stuff.   This just wasn't a good fit.   So now he's in Tennessee where Mularkey, by all accounts, is going to use him as a workhorse.  He'll be 28 during the season this year.  Not young, but also not 30.  He's a good pass protector and receiver, so he's going to be the rare 3-downer.  Nobody on the Titans roster has the ability to dig into his workload like Sproles and Mathews.  Even a 3rd or 4th round rookie isn't likely to eat into Murray's workload.  He seems pretty safe.  Not coming off big injury, light workload last season.  

I imagine his ADP will rise as the season approaches.  

Everyone thought he was toast coming off the massive workload the year before with Dallas.  Whether it was due to that or Chip not using him correctly, those fears came true.  He may bounce back somewhat this year, but going on 28, I'm selling all my shares of him.

Everyone thought he was toast coming off the massive workload the year before with Dallas.  Whether it was due to that or Chip not using him correctly, those fears came true.  He may bounce back somewhat this year, but going on 28, I'm selling all my shares of him.
I think he was a product of the o-line while in Dallas. Tennessee was smart to grab him but I don't think he is a league leading rusher again. 

I own him in Dynasty, I'm holding in the hopes that he gets off to a fast start and I can trade him for a 2017 1st early in the year to a team that needs RB help.  Or if I have a guy go down (Bell/Lacy) then he can step in and be my RB2.

I think he was a product of the o-line while in Dallas. Tennessee was smart to grab him but I don't think he is a league leading rusher again. 
The Oline certainly helped, but Murray started to run a little smarter as well. Early in his NFL career Murray would seek out contact at the end of a run. He learned that not every yard is worth fighting for, that it's ok to step out of bounds to avoid a big hit after you have gotten past the first down marker. If only his ball security was a little better...

If Tennessee is 5 and 8 how confident will you be in starting him in a fantasy playoff game? 
Very confident if through 13 games he's proven to be their workhorse, not very confident if he hasn't.  Same as for every player, whether the team is 10-3 or 5-8 doesn't have much bearing IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread