What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (2 Viewers)

I could not sell Murray all of last year no matter what I did. So what are folks getting for him in the off-season?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to have to disagree with you about this somewhat.

While its true that Murrays catch rate is above average, his yards per reception is slightly below average and it is trending down 3 years in a row now. The average for a RB is 7.3 yards per reception. Which is what Murray had in 2014 and 2015 with the Cowboys and Eagles respectively. It was 7.1 ypr in 2016 with the Titans and then 6.8 ypr last year. Being below average is not being one of the best or the best. Murray over the last 3 years he has averaged 80% catch rate and 7.1 yards per reception.

The average is 73% catch rate and 7.3 yards per reception.

Duke Johnson has been one of the best receiving RB in the league who is not a starter. Over the last 3 years he has averaged 78% catch rate 9.3 yards per reception.

Theo RIddick also been good recently. Over the last 3 years he averaged 78% catch rate 8.1 yards per reception.

Chris Thompson has averaged 75% catch rate 8.7 yards per reception.

Then you have starters such as David Johnson, Bell, Freeman, McCoy and so on who are also better receivers than Murray is. At least if by best we are talking about proficiency and execution.

I just happened to be talking about Success rate from football outsiders the other day and Murray showed up as one of the worst RBs in this metric in 2017 with 39% only Doug Martin had a worse success rate out of qualifying RB last year. Which makes it even more frustrating is that Mularkey stuck with Murray as the starter even though he was not running very well. What does that say about Derrick Henry if Mularkey had good reasons to stick with Murray even when he was not playing well? Or does it just say that Mularkey deserved to be fired for that among other not very smart decisions he made as the head coach?
No no best of the free agents

Thanks for stats and research tho

Turned down Titans renegotiate offer, says he did too much in the league to be paid as a backup.

Still time for more offers

Would love for him get a deal in Carolina.  Damn he would be an awesome fit, exactly what we need
that's not a bad match at all, interesting.

It's probably gonna be a whole lot of back N forth between he and the Titans. They really do love the guy, he's been good for the city, and he loves it there. You know how it goes with older players though

Turned down Titans renegotiate offer, says he did too much in the league to be paid as a backup.

Still time for more offers
Why would the Titans offer him starter money if they don’t plan on him being the starter? This league doesn’t pay guys based on what they did in the past. Guys are cut all the time when they are no longer worth their contract. No way a team would give a guy a new contract he isnt worth. 

Why would the Titans offer him starter money if they don’t plan on him being the starter? This league doesn’t pay guys based on what they did in the past. Guys are cut all the time when they are no longer worth their contract. No way a team would give a guy a new contract he isnt worth. 
they didn't. He's due starter money. The renegotiated amount is less with more years. I never saw a # but that's the gist of it

After his release, Murray was quoted as saying he can still be a top back or a featured back in the league.

There aren't many franchise backs available in free agency. It's largely third down back scat back types. He could make his money as a fill-in because the market is in his favor. Usually though, when players overstate their price, they wind up signing cheap deals late after they've accepted their age as a limitation.

With the latter in mind, I'm making a weird prediction- an almost Pats Titans swap of RBs. I think JRob wants (at least) one of BB's free agent RBs and that Murray (especially if cheap) is exactly the type of guy BB would like to add to his team. 

Carolina seems most logical
Noooooooooo!! My boy CMC needs a chance to run. Give him 20 carries with 4-6 receptions, I swear he’ll dominate with those touches. Norv will screw this up for sure. 

Side story. I was REALLY high on Sproles coming into the league and drafted him early and often in all league types back in his SDC days. League mates would joke about my love of Sproles and Norv just could never figure it out. I feel bad for CAR fans. Norv Turner is gonna blow it big time. I hope I’m wrong. 

I think Murray could definitely grind out one more good year in GB. That sounds like an ideal landing spot for Fantasy, for both Rodgers and Murray. Assuming he’d be the workhorse. 

Still on the Island:

NEP (duh)

DET

GBP

IND

WAS

SEA

TBB

Voted off the Island:

PHI again

I refuse to put CAR on the island.  I don't think it makes sense for CAR either.

I had no idea what to value him at so I offered the 4.1 for him in a 10 team PPR start 2 RB Superflex and it was rejected without a counter.  I am not sure I could offer a second and I don't think he'll take a third.

I had no idea what to value him at so I offered the 4.1 for him in a 10 team PPR start 2 RB Superflex and it was rejected without a counter.  I am not sure I could offer a second and I don't think he'll take a third.
Too rich for me. Not offering a second 

What's he worth in dynasty? Think I'll give it a go 
I don't own him in dynasty but I'm guessing most owners won't do much until they see where he lands.  At least you shouldn't expect to get him for nothing right now until his situation is more clear.  If I owned him, he'd be worth holding onto for the chance he gets a starting role in GB or IND with a healthy Luck.  

Still on the Island:

NEP (duh)

DET

GBP

IND

WAS

SEA

TBB

Voted off the Island:

PHI again

I refuse to put CAR on the island.  I don't think it makes sense for CAR either.
It makes absolutely perfect sense for them.  He is a grinder that will give you 15 carries a game.  A yin to CMacs yang

It makes absolutely perfect sense for them.  He is a grinder that will give you 15 carries a game.  A yin to CMacs yang
Agreed...if there is no one in the draft they feel strongly about filling that role he would be a nice fit for a year...

Noooooooooo!! My boy CMC needs a chance to run. Give him 20 carries with 4-6 receptions, I swear he’ll dominate with those touches. Norv will screw this up for sure. 

Side story. I was REALLY high on Sproles coming into the league and drafted him early and often in all league types back in his SDC days. League mates would joke about my love of Sproles and Norv just could never figure it out. I feel bad for CAR fans. Norv Turner is gonna blow it big time. I hope I’m wrong. 
Ummm norv had lt and turner in front of sproles....sproles is a bit player.

Cmc has his role as well but carolina is going to add a bigger back...draft or fa...

There is not a team he can’t help...all depends on what he is looking for...does he want more money, a place where he has a chance of being a #1 or Is it a chance to get a ring...if he is willing to reduce his role and play for an affordable contract he would be a great add to any contender...he is on the back 9 but I think he still has some gas left in the tank...I would love to see the Pats make a play for him...

Says Should? They kick the tires...answer is no
He did an awesome job with the young players and teaching them how to win and work and what NFL commitment means and all that intangible stuff. I don't think he wants to go to a perennial loser even if they added free agents, but...if he could help their mindset the way he helped the Titans, it'd be a great signing for them. The Titans and Browns were picks 1 and 2 before Murray

There is not a team he can’t help...all depends on what he is looking for...does he want more money, a place where he has a chance of being a #1 or Is it a chance to get a ring...if he is willing to reduce his role and play for an affordable contract he would be a great add to any contender...he is on the back 9 but I think he still has some gas left in the tank...I would love to see the Pats make a play for him...
Totally agree. He’ll never be what he was in ‘14 with Dallas, but he’s still a pretty good player. Would love to have him on my team. Would make a nice 1-2 punch with Drake in Miami. 

I'm really surprised Murray is still unsigned.  Has he done anything off the field to damage his value?  While his 2017 season was a big step down from '16, he was battling some nagging injuries and stiff competition from Henry.  Wouldn't Mia and NYG have been much better off with Murray than with Gore and Stewart?  After the draft, no teams appear to have gaping holes to fill at RB; do the Colts seem to have the most need? 

I'm really surprised Murray is still unsigned.  Has he done anything off the field to damage his value?  While his 2017 season was a big step down from '16, he was battling some nagging injuries and stiff competition from Henry.  Wouldn't Mia and NYG have been much better off with Murray than with Gore and Stewart?  After the draft, no teams appear to have gaping holes to fill at RB; do the Colts seem to have the most need? 
Yeah, the Colts have to sign him... right? I'm no Murray superfan, but even at 30 he's got to be better than Mack.

Seems like New Orleans would be a viable spot.

He has enough gas in the tank to cover Ingram for 4 games. Then can hang around as a solid backup for the remainder of the season. 

I think it has more to do with how much he wants to be paid

Seems like New Orleans would be a viable spot.

He has enough gas in the tank to cover Ingram for 4 games. Then can hang around as a solid backup for the remainder of the season. 
Since he is an exceptional pass blocker and unsigned still, I think rookie camps will trigger discussions. Most rookies can't pick up the blitz and it's always a smack of reality for teams.

Next step, if still unsigned, I suppose will be to replace an injured guy. 

Backup QB depth and quality is atrocious in the NFL. I think his value in keeping the starting QB upright will get him some work.

FF Ninja said:
Yeah, the Colts have to sign him... right? I'm no Murray superfan, but even at 30 he's got to be better than Mack.
I pretty much feel the same way about Dez and the Colts. C'mon Dallas North!

Like I just said to my league mates, he’s as retired as Lynch and Cutler were. If Gurley tore his acl today and the Rams called, Murray would take the call. That said, he’s not actively shopping himself so  owners of Packers and Colts RBs can maybe stop looking over their shoulder for the hidden boogie man coming to take the job

Like I just said to my league mates, he’s as retired as Lynch and Cutler were. If Gurley tore his acl today and the Rams called, Murray would take the call. That said, he’s not actively shopping himself so  owners of Packers and Colts RBs can maybe stop looking over their shoulder for the hidden boogie man coming to take the job
Totally agree. I'm sure he is working out, ready for the call once the first training camp injury hits.

Opened this thread hoping he signed somewhere. Disappointed to see he's retiring. I have a HUGE hole at RB and hoped to get something out of him this year.

:wall:

Maybe he was getting low-balled because teams thought he had no other options, and by retiring he's calling their bluff to show he doesn't need their job/looking less desperate. 

Or maybe he just wasn't seeing enough money for him to keep taking the beating. 

Users who are viewing this thread