What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (2 Viewers)

Good news. Hopefully we'll get to see him get some playing time this week before the fantasy playoffs start.

fresh off the blogger:

Cowboys | DeMarco Murray likely to play Thu Nov 29, 12:36 PM

The chances of Dallas Cowboys RB DeMarco Murray (foot) playing in Week 13 look good, according to a team trainer.

Link to story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cowboys | DeMarco Murray practicing Thu Nov 29, 12:33 PM

Dallas Cowboys RB DeMarco Murray (foot) is taking part in practice Thursday, Nov. 29. Murray left practice briefly but returned and is doing drills with teammates

Nick Eatman‏@nickeatman

Felix jones makes it out to practice ..Murray also on the field but went inside with a trainer.Doesn't seem serious . Still expected to play

10 minutes later...

Nick Eatman‏@nickeatman

Murray jogs out to practice .. Should be fine for this week

http://twitter.com/nickeatman

Last edited by a moderator:
From Rotoworld, Murray now has two straight days of practice in this week.

DeMarco Murray (foot) was at Cowboys practice once again Thursday.It's a good sign that Murray didn't experience any setbacks in his long-awaited return to practice Wednesday. The Cowboys will continue to evaluate his ability to push off his sprained foot and explode laterally. He remains questionable for Sunday's game against the Eagles.

Nick Eatman‏@nickeatman

Felix jones makes it out to practice ..Murray also on the field but went inside with a trainer.Doesn't seem serious . Still expected to play

10 minutes later...

Nick Eatman‏@nickeatman

Murray jogs out to practice .. Should be fine for this week

http://twitter.com/nickeatman
My heart skipped a few beats re: Murray. Whenever you see "Murray" and "trainer" or "jogs out" in the same sentence, it normally doesn't end well.

From Rotoworld, Murray now has two straight days of practice in this week.

DeMarco Murray (foot) was at Cowboys practice once again Thursday.It's a good sign that Murray didn't experience any setbacks in his long-awaited return to practice Wednesday. The Cowboys will continue to evaluate his ability to push off his sprained foot and explode laterally. He remains questionable for Sunday's game against the Eagles.
DeMarco Murray (foot) is making "steady progress" this week, leaving the Cowboys "cautiously optimistic" that he will play versus the Eagles on Sunday, according to FOX Sports Southwest."And just to provide some context, this is the first time I've actually believed Murray has a shot at playing," added FOX's Matt Mosley. Murray called Wednesday a "good first day" and nodded in the affirmative when reporters asked if he was confident about playing this week. He's practicing again on Thursday and appears to be in line to regain his starting job from Felix Jones. Our recommendation is to make Murray prove that he is ready for 15+ touches in a game before plugging him into starting lineups.Source: Matt Mosley on Twitter Nov 29 - 2:42 PMDeMarco Murray (foot) was limited again in Thursday's practice.The locker room at Valley Ranch was reportedly "buzzing" with the sense that Murray will play versus the Eagles on Sunday. "Yeah, I'm hopeful. I'm hopeful," OL coach Bill Callahan said. Added to Tony Romo, "If he's ready to go, it will be a boost." The Cowboy's optimism has been cautious, so be sure to check back Friday to ensure that Murray has avoided a setback. Nov 29 - 4:31 PMSource: Fort Worth Star-Telegram
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6585/demarco-murray

Exciting that he may return this week, and the matchup is juicy, but you have to worry about a snap count or time share first game back. Prudent to wait a week before starting him if you have that luxury.

Exciting that he may return this week, and the matchup is juicy, but you have to worry about a snap count or time share first game back. Prudent to wait a week before starting him if you have that luxury.
I did that with beanie and regretted also did it with mendy vs philly and regretted it.If he starts he starts for me over beanie

I did that with beanie and regretted also did it with mendy vs philly and regretted it.If he starts he starts for me over beanie
Q: would you start J. Rodgers tonight over Murray?

'ConnSKINS26 said:
Chose Murray over Turner minutes before the game lol. Oops?
Chose Murray over Jacquizz right before the game. Feel like I may have dodged a bullet.Noticed that FBG is taking a wait/see approach on Murray in the projections. It will be interesting to see the adjustments as the weekend moves along, if any are made.

Dallas running back DeMarco Murray -- who's missed nine games in two seasons with the Cowboys due to injury -- has a bold prediction for 2013: he's not going to miss any games."I am going to play all 16 games this year and I'm excited," Murray said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "It's going to be a great year for us."
Good to know. Adjust your boards accordingly.

Dallas running back DeMarco Murray -- who's missed nine games in two seasons with the Cowboys due to injury -- has a bold prediction for 2013: he's not going to miss any games."I am going to play all 16 games this year and I'm excited," Murray said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "It's going to be a great year for us."
if we knew this as fact, he would be a top 5 pick.

At 11.5 FP/gm last year, top 5 would be a huge reach. If he played 16 games, that would be on par with Chris Johnson who was RB12 last year. I'm not sure where that ranked in PPG, probably somewhere around RB18.

He was also quoted recently as saying something along the lines of "I'd rather play 5-6 games the way I play rather than play a bunch tip-toeing".

So the same issue exists and even he knows it: his style of play suggests you can't get a full season from him. I admit, I went from hating this guy and calling him brittle and severely overrated to actually liking him because of his situation and crossing my fingers and I have now come full circle. I just can not get on board with this guy. There is great potential but as I learned in FF 101, potential is a french word that means "Ain't done s#!t yet."

I just can't put my eggs in the DeMarco basket because I just don't trust he will be there when really needed. That injury of his last year dragged on so long and was so frustrating to owners trying to get into the playoffs, it made me think that the team is clearly exercising more than usual caution when he gets gimpy. I don't need that when I'm trying to make a run.

So the same issue exists and even he knows it: his style of play suggests you can't get a full season from him.
And what style of play is this? Murry missed 1 game over his last two seasons at OU, in which he got a crazy number of touches. His two NFL injuries were due to awkward contact. This isn't Beanie Wells, or even Hakeem Nicks, yet.

He could very well prove to be injury prone. But he could have simply had some bad luck on a couple plays too. We'll see.

I feel like you can't rely on him for more than a #3 RB. Even for your #3 RB, do you want someone who you feel is likely to miss 1/3 to 1/2 of games? I could keep him at a round 8 value this year, but I also don't see the upside that others do. He doesn't even score enough TDs to give him upside worth the risk.

At 11.5 FP/gm last year, top 5 would be a huge reach. If he played 16 games, that would be on par with Chris Johnson who was RB12 last year. I'm not sure where that ranked in PPG, probably somewhere around RB18.
That includes games in which he was hampered and didn't finish. Top 5 might be a bit of a stretch, but if healthy for a season, I think he'd finish closer to 5 than 18. The Dallas offensive line was a joke last season, and is much improved, if only by being healhty and replacing Costa. He is a PPR machine when healhty, and his handcuff was productive and cheap to acquire. As long as you had Felix last year, Murray wasn't much of a bust.

I'm not ready to slap an "injury-prone" tag on Murray yet either, but he's over-rated by many all the same. He's a good RB, not a great one IMO. He also plays on an offense with arguably the best passing game talent in the NFL, and for a coaching staff that is evidently allergic to running the ball in the redzone. And with one exception, the o-line there is rank.

Over 16 healthy games I see him as a RB2, and I kind of doubt you can get him at that price -- certainly not in dynasty leagues.

That includes games in which he was hampered and didn't finish. Top 5 might be a bit of a stretch, but if healthy for a season, I think he'd finish closer to 5 than 18. The Dallas offensive line was a joke last season, and is much improved, if only by being healhty and replacing Costa. He is a PPR machine when healhty, and his handcuff was productive and cheap to acquire. As long as you had Felix last year, Murray wasn't much of a bust.
True, I had Murray and Felix last year and things worked out alright. This year, though, the handcuff situation is more uncertain and may not be as productive.I agree with the poster who sees him as a #2 RB even if healthy, due to lack of TDs. The reality is that him likely missing some games or being dinged up and not as effective makes him a #3 RB.

I think I would rather have Randle on the super cheap.

I do not think Murray is a top 5 round pick much less a top 5 overall pick.

True, I had Murray and Felix last year and things worked out alright. This year, though, the handcuff situation is more uncertain and may not be as productive.I agree with the poster who sees him as a #2 RB even if healthy, due to lack of TDs. The reality is that him likely missing some games or being dinged up and not as effective makes him a #3 RB.
I'll still be looking to draft him in re-draft if he falls to late RB2 range. RBs get hurt and it's too early to assume Murray has an issue. If the injuries were related or chronic, I'd be more concerned that I am. But awkward contact happens in football, and I assume most would break their ankle and sprain their foot if put in those exact situations. I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to gamble.

As for his production, in PPR leagues - it's been steady, despite the lack of TDs. The Cowboys actually started running the ball more at the goal line last year, most of those TDs went to Felix, however, as Murray was out. I think 8 TDs and 50 receptions are a good bet, if healthy. 16 carries a game at 4.4 is 1,126 and that's conservative. 350-400 on his receptions. I see a very likely path to top 12 PPR numbers if healthy.

Just my thoughts. I'm always willing to roll the dice on the injury front, especially on guys with cheap handcuffs. I can understand the other side of the argument, however.

So is he considered a value in the 5th or later?
I'd be pretty happy with him as my RB3 / flex, particularly in PPR, so yes, good value in the 5th in most formats. But there are still a lot of folks drinking the top-5 potential RB Kool Aid so I don't see him lasting that long at all. Guess we'll see in August...

So is he considered a value in the 5th or later?
Unless he gets some serious injury, my guess is you will not see him available in the 5th round in any leagues at all
Unless of course he takes a nagging pre-season injury where he misses most of the pre-season games and/or they say he might miss a game or two to start the season. If that happens, there is enough latent history of his "little" injuries that seem to keep popping up and lingering for unusual lengths of time to probably make him fall in a good number of leagues and that is really the best scenario for FF owners. he falls to where you can actually draft him as a RB3. You don't depend on him each week but you love the upside he can give if he holds up.

Fantasy Week: DeMarco Murray

By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

Dallas Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray is up in Bristol today, appearing on a variety of TV and radio shows. He's going to be on NFL Live at 4 pm ET. They call it the "car wash" up there -- they bring you in and run you through every show they've got. It's good stuff, and if you're a Cowboys fan or a Murray fan, I hope you're enjoying it.

Here on the NFC East blog, it's Fantasy Week, so my first thought was to check and see where Murray ranked among fantasy running backs in our preseason rankings. The answer: No. 21. Low-end No. 2 running back in a 12-team league. In a weak year for top-level running backs. And what this tells us is that Murray is no longer considered, by our fantasy football experts, to be a top-level running back. He was a late first-round/early second-round pick a year ago. This year, he's looking at middle of the third round.

Why? Well, as you know, Murray's had a bit of a tough time doing two very important things that a fantasy running back must do: Staying healthy and scoring touchdowns. The Cowboys have played 27 games since Murray became their starting running back in late October of 2011. Murray has missed nine of those 27 games because of leg injuries. He's also scored a grand total of six touchdowns, never more than one in the same game. So the 83.1 yards per game he's averaged as a starter is a decent enough figure, but it's not enough to get him any further up this list until we see some sustained proof that things can get better.

Can they? The Cowboys drafted Joseph Randle this year, and he's a threat to take over if Murray gets hurt, just as Murray was a threat to Felix Jones in 2011. Murray has incentive to stay healthy, for sure. And the Cowboys are changing some things about the way they design and implement their offense this year, with quarterback Tony Romo being more involved during the week and offensive coordinator Bill Callahan taking over play-calling duties on game day. There's also the chance of improved interior offensive line play with the help of first-round pick Travis Frederick, which would help Murray run better and possibly avoid injury.

But in the end, the biggest questions aren't about the Cowboys, but about Murray himself. He seems like a back who enjoys contact, and backs like that, while super-tough, tend not to last very long in the NFL. Murray was one of the guys on the film they showed us at the league meetings in the spring when they introduced the new rule about running backs leading with the crowns of their helmets in the open field. He's an angry, aggressive runner who puts himself in position to get hurt. It's hard to imagine that changing, regardless of what changes on the Cowboys' offense around him.

My fantasy advice? I think Murray in the third round has a chance to be a nice value pick, especially if you're thin at running back because you got shut out of the top guys and decided to go with a quarterback and/or receiver early. Murray is only 25 and clearly quite talented, and if he does stay healthy he's a fine No. 2 fantasy back at the very least. But if you get him, make sure you get Randle, too. And if Murray starts out with one or two really big games, look to trade him while he's healthy. Because he could produce for you, but it's tough to imagine a high-profile fantasy back right now who comes with more risk.

i am not buying into him or the ability of Dallas to run the ball.

he cant stay healthy anyways

Is DeMarco Murray capable of a 2,000-yard season? Murray: ‘I think I’m capable of anything’

By Jon Machota / Special Contributor

DeMarco Murray should be a full participant when training camp starts in Oxnard, Calif. later this month. The Dallas Cowboys starting running back said Wednesday that he’s “100 percent, ready to go.”

“I’m doing everything,” Murray added. “Full speed.”

Murray made those comments during an interview on “The Herd with Colin Cowherd,” one of three ESPN shows the 25-year-old appeared on Wednesday morning.

Getting an update on Murray’s health status has been common since he was selected by the Cowboys in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft. The former Oklahoma standout has missed nine games the last two seasons because of foot and ankle injuries. Murray also missed some time during off-season activities this year with a strained hamstring.

In 23 career games, Murray has rushed for 1,560 yards, which includes a franchise record 253-yard day against the St. Louis Rams in 2011. If Murray stayed healthy for an entire season, what would he be capable of?

While on “First Take,” Murray was asked if he was capable of a 2,000-yard season like his friend, Minnesota’s Adrian Peterson.

“I think I’m capable of anything,” Murray said.

Of course, the Cowboys would need to make a greater commitment to the running game for that to happen. Some believe having Bill Callahan calling the plays will make the offense more balanced. Last season, the Cowboys finished 31st in rushing and Tony Romo attempted a career-high 648 passes.

“We definitely need to emphasize the running game,” Murray said on SportsCenter. “When you’re second-to-last in attempts, more than likely you’re going to be second-to-last in rushing, so we definitely got to get the running game going.”

Murray said he didn’t think the change in play-caller would be significant because it’s still Garrett’s system. He added that Garrett is a “great play-caller” and Callahan is a “great coach” that has “had a lot of success calling plays.”

“I think to be a successful on offense you got to be balanced,” Murray said, “and running the ball is definitely a key for this team.”

So why does Murray think the Cowboys threw the ball so much last season?

“There were some times when we got down early, so we had to throw the ball,” Murray said. “We kind of got away from the run game. This year we got to stay balanced and continue to ground-and-pound, and that will open up lanes for Romo. And with him letting it fly a little bit, that will open up lanes for myself.”

At his current price in a lot of places, I will gladly buy. When he plays, he plays well.

The whole "he will never stay healthy" thing is far too early for me to say that will always be the case. In two years he has missed games due to 2 injuries.

He certainly has the potential to be good as he has shown, and I wouldnt call it surprising at all if he strings together a few years where he stays pretty healthy.

I agree that I wont pay a ton for him, but when I see him at times get traded for something like a 2014 1st and a so-so rookie or something, I will happily buy buy buy at that cost.

Rotoworld:

Former NFL pro personnel director Louis Riddick says DeMarco Murray is leaving yardage on the field.
Murray is averaging just 3.46 YPC on the season. "DeMarco is a hard runner, but I have always had some issues with DeMarco because he is very, very, very straight line," Riddick said. "He has no ability to make people miss. As a matter of fact, you saw numerous times that there were some holes that DeMarco could have got through, but he is a guy who has to gather himself to really make hard, sharp cuts to exploit those running lanes." Murray's inability to avoid tackles also leads to injuries. He's not a great Dynasty prospect.

Source: ESPN Dallas

Potential 4-6 weeks reports from a NEWSPAPER. Its hard to believe their sources as they claim themselves its only specualtive.

A lot of players play rhoguh sprained MCL's. Why would this put Murray out for 6 friggin weeks? I need him. Before I make a block-buster trade I should probably wait on official word from the Cowboys. Buts its not looking great at the moment.

murray was quoted saying he thinks he can play this weekend..... but he said that ALL OF LAST YEAR on Wednesdays/Thursdays when he had the foot injury... it was very frustrating... so i don't believe anything he says... i'm expecting him to miss at least 2 games (just my guess).... btw, thank you jerry jones for coming out and saying dunbar isnt playing this week, makes my waiver claim on randle much more confident :)

Cowboys aren't long term...

It's painful to try to watch this guy change directions. The Rams make this guy look like a superstar. Certainly wouldn't want to hitch my wagon to giving him his next contract. Solid RB, but will never hold up over 16 game season with his running style.

DeMarco Murray - RB - Cowboys
Appearing on GameDay Morning, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported the Cowboys are not sold on DeMarco Murray long-term.
Rapoport suggested the Cowboys aren't sold on Murray due to durability concerns. (He's going to miss his tenth game in three seasons Sunday.) Dallas may look to make a move for a running back at the trade deadline, though they'll likely take a long look at Joseph Randle, who will get the start in place of Murray against the Eagles this week. Murray doesn't do a good enough job at avoiding contact.

I can't decide if Murray is still a buy-low in redraft. He has a pretty favorable playoff schedule for those that start in week 14, but the Cowboys seem to forget about the run for games at a time, and he can't stay healthy.

FWIW I'm considering shipping off LeVeon Bell/Douglas for him, but think it might be too big of a risk.

EDIT: Pulled the trigger on the above offer and the Murray owner promptly accepted. I'll keep everyone updated as the season progresses.

Users who are viewing this thread