What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Wayne gave Colts a hometown discount (1 Viewer)

Bamac

Footballguy
http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256768819744366592

During this off-season, the Patriots made a significant push to sign Colts WR Reggie Wayne who was a FA, offering more money than Colts did.
And from Adam Schefter:
Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne deserved plenty of props for his 13-catch, 212-yard performance to help beat Green Bay, Chuckstrong style. But he deserves even more applause for returning to Indianapolis one season after the Colts finished 2-14 and Wayne had at least one better offer elsewhere. The one team that made a significant push to sign Wayne last offseason was the New England Patriots, according to league sources. The Patriots offered Wayne more money than the Colts, yet the veteran wide receiver felt a certain sense of loyalty to Indianapolis, something not always evident in sports today. Wayne wound up passing up the Patriots' offer, accepting a slightly less lucrative deal with the Colts and returning to Indianapolis to help usher in the new era of football.

There are many reasons to like Reggie Wayne both as a player and a person. This adds to a long list of reasons why he is one of the real "good guys" in sport.

Slightly less is a relative term. Was it $1, $100, what? If you factor in the costs of living somewhere else from where you and your family are ingrained, I assume he is married with kids, the Colts offer might have been more or the same.

Watch the current show on ESPN on how many guys go broke, I am really indifferent until I hear specifics. I certainly don't hold him in higher, maybe even a little lower.

Football is a business first, sport second. Wayne knows that more than anybody. Wayne made the decision that was best for himself and his family. I am pretty sure the words hometown discount never even came to mind.

Slightly less is a relative term. Was it $1, $100, what? If you factor in the costs of living somewhere else from where you and your family are ingrained, I assume he is married with kids, the Colts offer might have been more or the same. Watch the current show on ESPN on how many guys go broke, I am really indifferent until I hear specifics. I certainly don't hold him in higher, maybe even a little lower.
Sceptic much? A little lower? How could you even conjure up that thought?I was going to say more, but I decided against wasting my time.

Slightly less is a relative term. Was it $1, $100, what? If you factor in the costs of living somewhere else from where you and your family are ingrained, I assume he is married with kids, the Colts offer might have been more or the same. Watch the current show on ESPN on how many guys go broke, I am really indifferent until I hear specifics. I certainly don't hold him in higher, maybe even a little lower.
Sceptic much? A little lower? How could you even conjure up that thought?I was going to say more, but I decided against wasting my time.
It never fails that there is always someone to take the opposite view just to be edgy and different.

This is a no brainer. I don't know why so many great players are so quick to jump ship. Even if Wayne did not think the Colts were going to be contenders for the length of his new contract, he was smart to think long term.

He's going to get into the Colts Wall of Fame (or whatever they call it) and he will have lifelong employment, if he wants it, in the Indy organization or elsewhere in Indianapolis as long as he doesn't shoot anybody Marvin style. He's going to hit 1000 recs as a Colt and has a shot at 100 TDs. If he goes to NE, a rival, and plays well and wins a championship it gets dicey.

It's amazing to me how short term a lot of pro athletes think. Not only does staying in Indy secure his legacy, but he will probably wind up making more money over his lifetime by staying.

I like this guy more and more.

Beyond proving the skeptics (including the FF community) wrong that a WR can be extremely productive in his 30s, he seems like a grounded good guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a no brainer. I don't know why so many great players are so quick to jump ship. Even if Wayne did not think the Colts were going to be contenders for the length of his new contract, he was smart to think long term.He's going to get into the Colts Wall of Fame (or whatever they call it) and he will have lifelong employment, if he wants it, in the Indy organization or elsewhere in Indianapolis as long as he doesn't shoot anybody Marvin style. He's going to hit 1000 recs as a Colt and has a shot at 100 TDs. If he goes to NE, a rival, and plays well and wins a championship it gets dicey.It's amazing to me how short term a lot of pro athletes think. Not only does staying in Indy secure his legacy, but he will probably wind up making more money over his lifetime by staying.
Agreed. He can open up Reggie Wayne Kia in Indiana.

a hipster walks into a bar and says, "this place sucks. too many hipsters."

The last sentence is absolutely insane. He stayed loyal to a team that is loyal to him, even after a 2-14 season, turned down an offer to a contender that over the last decade has been the arch rival of the team you have loyalty to. If being loyal to a fanbase, organization, and city isn't a great thing...

Somehow I don't think regional cost of living is a significant factor when your salary is eight figures.
I disagree. In fact, just the opposite, especially when you are looking at tax rates.
This has been beaten to death in Dallas after Derron Williams chose the Nets over the Mavs. Just about every one of the insiders that spoke on it said that tax rates flat out aren't a consideration.

Somehow I don't think regional cost of living is a significant factor when your salary is eight figures.
I disagree. In fact, just the opposite, especially when you are looking at tax rates.
This has been beaten to death in Dallas after Derron Williams chose the Nets over the Mavs. Just about every one of the insiders that spoke on it said that tax rates flat out aren't a consideration.
Well then those guys are idiots. Tax rates are very important and should be considered when looking at the numbers of a contract.

People are now bickering over whether Reggie Wayne is a good guy for resigning in Indy over jumping to NE? You folks need to get some fresh air :)

I mean that in the nicest way.

'footballnerd said:
Forget the money, dude passed up a huge chance for a line of rings to rebuild a 2-14 team
Why do so many people think signing with NE means automatic ring(s)? The Patriots haven't won one since the '04 season and are 0-2 in their last two. Sure they're contenders every year but Ill be surprised I'd they win another one under Belichick.

'footballnerd said:
Forget the money, dude passed up a huge chance for a line of rings to rebuild a 2-14 team
Why do so many people think signing with NE means automatic ring(s)? The Patriots haven't won one since the '04 season and are 0-2 in their last two. Sure they're contenders every year but Ill be surprised I'd they win another one under Belichick.
don't see automatic in that statementsuperbowl appearance vs a 2-14 record last year is a huge difference.

'eoMMan said:
'Mr Rodgers neighborhood said:
'eoMMan said:
'BobbyLayne said:
Well then those guys are idiots. Tax rates are very important and should be considered when looking at the numbers of a contract.
Just about anybody would be foolish not to consider tax rates and cost of living in deciding where to live. This includes athletes, who are hardly immune to financial ruin.

Reggie Wayne already has a super bowl ring. I'm sure he would love another one but he (and probably his family which is probably more important) is fine where he is right now.

'footballnerd said:
don't see automatic in that statementsuperbowl appearance vs a 2-14 record last year is a huge difference.
I didnt mean you were saying automatic, but so many people do. A better chance with NE for sure, but a 'huge chance for a line of rings' is a stretch.

I don't think this makes him any better of a player, teammate or person. It's cool that he did what he wanted to do, and he's proving a lot of people wrong by performing at a high level. So I'm absolutely not knocking him at all (it would be silly to do so).

But football is a business, and the team would have let him walk if he didn't accept their lower offer. They didn't have enough "loyalty" to him to pay fair market value. It's a business, and they both made business decisions.

'eoMMan said:
'eoMMan said:
'BobbyLayne said:
Just about anybody would be foolish not to consider tax rates and cost of living in deciding where to live. This includes athletes, who are hardly immune to financial ruin.
Yeah, just because it happened in one situation, means very little. It won't be the end all be all but it is definitely a factor. Just ask many of the players who go to Florida who actually get $10 million when they sign a $10 million contract. Using one example like Deron is erroneous, when he can make that money up in advertising, he can build a team in a new place, etc.

'Rovers said:
'firstseason1988 said:
Guess I was conjuring it up by quoting the OP. :mellow:

'firstseason1988 said:
:lmao:

'firstseason1988 said:
The last sentence is absolutely insane. He stayed loyal to a team that is loyal to him, even after a 2-14 season, turned down an offer to a contender that over the last decade has been the arch rival of the team you have loyalty to. If being loyal to a fanbase, organization, and city isn't a great thing...
Not really they won't pay his rent once he retires, except maybe if he can charge for his autograph. But maybe a local TV/Radio gig could come out of it, so I could be off base. I would bet if New England's offer was significantly higher, he'd be gone. But there are no specifics, so I reserve my admiration until I hear them. Doesn't sound like they are public, so whatever.

I don't think this makes him any better of a player, teammate or person. It's cool that he did what he wanted to do, and he's proving a lot of people wrong by performing at a high level. So I'm absolutely not knocking him at all (it would be silly to do so).But football is a business, and the team would have let him walk if he didn't accept their lower offer. They didn't have enough "loyalty" to him to pay fair market value. It's a business, and they both made business decisions.
:goodposting: said better than me, thanks.

I was just thinking about Wayne due to some trade talks and this thread popped in my mind. As nice of a story as it is that Wayne gave them a home team discount, what do you think the chances are that he does that if he had not already won a super bowl? I suspect he would not be on the Colts right now if that was the case.

ETA: Whoops. Purple_King already speculated this between the time that I had read the thread and the time that this came to mind.

While it is a business. There may be more to Wayne's compensation than a salary.

He likes the team, the organization, the life he has there. That may have had some consideration.

Another view is, maybe he is straddling the difference. No one would hate him in Indy if he underperformed. Bi risk becoming the next RMoss,CJ, or TO if he did move.

So Wayne's push for personal stats, being the big fish in a small pond, Andrew Luck's only receiving option makes him a good guy? He knew that he wouldn't make the Hall of Fame as a piece in Belichick's scheme and made a "business" decision to stay in Indy

Why is wayne ranked so low this week? Jaxonville known for holding receivers to little production? I haven't paid much attention to Jaxonville all year, but from the looks of it they can't be that good. I'm starting Wayne with confidence in my flex, but wondering if I'm missing something from those more in the know on Jaxonville D or why Wayne might not continue his usual production.

While it is a business. There may be more to Wayne's compensation than a salary. He likes the team, the organization, the life he has there. That may have had some consideration. Another view is, maybe he is straddling the difference. No one would hate him in Indy if he underperformed. Bi risk becoming the next RMoss,CJ, or TO if he did move.
or maybe he just sees himself as a colt. he's been one his whole professional career, and maybe he felt that going to play for the hated rivals just wouldn't feel right. Maybe he also felt that uprooting his family life and moving to another city wasn't worth a couple extra million to him.Maybe because he felt he was a lifelong colt he thought he'd mentor the young kid (luck) and earn some goodwill towards working as an assistant coach when he retires.who knows the reason. does it matter?I have seen players leave one team to go to another for an extra 200 grand a year when they make 6 to 8 mil a season already. This isnt just football folks, I'm talking all sports. To me guys who leave a situation where they like it and go to a city where they end up miserable because they hate the system and dislike the city they live in are just getting what they deserve.I agree this does say something about his character (which was never considered to be anything below good to begin with) and Indy fans can and should be happy with that. But to me, this is telling us something we already knew about this guy. It's not big news really.

So Wayne's push for personal stats, being the big fish in a small pond, Andrew Luck's only receiving option makes him a good guy? He knew that he wouldn't make the Hall of Fame as a piece in Belichick's scheme and made a "business" decision to stay in Indy
Just saw this, so had to ask...what??? He had no clue how Luck would do. The "safe" option would have been to join NE, get your 60-850-6 and walk away after a few years. No one has a clue what will make the HoF for this generation of receivers when you consider Cris Carter is not in it. For all we know Wayne is OCD, and just likes a routine, or his wife had friends and he has kids in school and made/saved enough scratch not to uproot them. But to think he would be putting up pinball numbers with a kid who did not even have a snap in the NFL is going out on a major limb. Personally, I go with cost of living as a reason. I live in Raleigh, and my kids have attended school with children of three former NFLers, and we do not even have a team here. They just moved here on their own.

To me guys who leave a situation where they like it and go to a city where they end up miserable because they hate the system and dislike the city they live in are just getting what they deserve.
Just curious why you think a guy who leaves his team for more money deserves to be miserable if it doesn't work out with his next team. That seems a bit strange to me. I've left jobs for a better paying position I thought would be great, only to realize I made a mistake for one reason or another. I never felt I "deserved" to be miserable - I thought it would work out and it didn't. Obviously these guys make far much more money, but you're penalizing them for trying to be as successful as possible, and I don't know why that's such a horrible thing that one would think they deserve misery.

To me guys who leave a situation where they like it and go to a city where they end up miserable because they hate the system and dislike the city they live in are just getting what they deserve.
Just curious why you think a guy who leaves his team for more money deserves to be miserable if it doesn't work out with his next team. That seems a bit strange to me. I've left jobs for a better paying position I thought would be great, only to realize I made a mistake for one reason or another. I never felt I "deserved" to be miserable - I thought it would work out and it didn't. Obviously these guys make far much more money, but you're penalizing them for trying to be as successful as possible, and I don't know why that's such a horrible thing that one would think they deserve misery.
My point is, if you are making huge money (let's say 6+ mil) why do you need to leave a place you love, a team you love, and situation you like to go elsewhere for only a few bucks.there's leaving for a good reason and then leaving for a bad. to me, in any place I've worked, if I'm reasonably happy, I dont leave unless I'm getting at least 20% more money or substantially better opportunity career wise.this is not often the situation in pro sports. I cant think of how many times players leave a team where they have a stud QB tossing them the ball and play for a good or great team only to go to a crappy team with a crappy QB for only an extra mil per year (sometimes less)then they have the nerve to complain about it later. well sorry bud, you had a great thing going but you went for some extra dough. Now you have to pay the price for your mistake.I feel how I feel and I wont apologize for it.

Not really they won't pay his rent once he retires, except maybe if he can charge for his autograph. But maybe a local TV/Radio gig could come out of it, so I could be off base. I would bet if New England's offer was significantly higher, he'd be gone. But there are no specifics, so I reserve my admiration until I hear them. Doesn't sound like they are public, so whatever.
I can't see the Pats paying him much more than the Colts did. What really matters is the money he actually sees and he's more likely to see the full $17.5M in Indy than in NE. The contract in NE may have been higher but it would have given them more incentive to cut him when he's 36 in 2014. His salary with the Colts in 2014 will only be $4M so they will have a hard time cutting him if he's healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread