What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cecil Shorts wr Jax (1 Viewer)

kencav

Footballguy
Coach Mike Mularkey confirmed that Cecil Shorts will start Sunday's game against the Raiders.

There's no timetable for Laurent Robinson's return from multiple concussions. By getting Shorts on the field instead of Mike Thomas, the Jags will give Blaine Gabbert an explosive playmaker after the catch. In extremely limited playing time through five games this season, Shorts has posted eight catches for 205 yards and two touchdowns. There's a little stash-and-see appeal here for extreme deep-leaguers.

Source: Mark Long on Twitter Oct 17 - 12:51 PM

:unsure:

If Jax gets a real QB, a Jags WR may have value.
Blackmon is the play at Jaguar WR this week. I full expect 6 receptions for 100 yards and a score against a mediocre Raider secondary. Coming off the bye, Blackmon will be ready. You heard it here first.

I think he's good, just hate the offense and Gabbert. You can plug him in and pray he makes a play but there's nothing to see this season.

Blackmon is the play at Jaguar WR this week. I full expect 6 receptions for 100 yards and a score against a mediocre Raider secondary. Coming off the bye, Blackmon will be ready. You heard it here first.
I agree on Blackmon having a good week as well. Not sure about those exact numbers, but I definitely see him more than outperforming anything he's done so far this season (which isn't saying much).The signs are there:- Coming off a BYE week in which the team can make adjustments- Below average pass defense from the Raiders- GM saying (during BYE week) that "Team needs to feed Justin Blackmon the ball like the Bengals and Bears do A.J. Green and Brandon Marshall, respectivelyOf course, the sign that Gabbert sucks is still there as well, but oh well, worth the risk this week.

Shorts has made a couple of splash plays so far in limited time. This week he will start. I think he is worth a pickup in 14 + team leagues, if you have room on your bench. I am not starting him unless he shows he is worthy.

I agree on Blackmon having a good week as well. Not sure about those exact numbers, but I definitely see him more than outperforming anything he's done so far this season (which isn't saying much).The signs are there:

- Coming off a BYE week in which the team can make adjustments

- Below average pass defense from the Raiders

- GM saying (during BYE week) that "Team needs to feed Justin Blackmon the ball like the Bengals and Bears do A.J. Green and Brandon Marshall, respectively

Of course, the sign that Gabbert sucks is still there as well, but oh well, worth the risk this week.
And his coach telling reporters that they will do everything they can to get him the ball this week and moving forward.

Once you take into consideration that Shorts has never exceeded 50% of the offensive snaps on any given week, and usually saw something like 25%, it's really crazy that he's been able to produce (205 yards and 2 TDs on 20 targets).

I think you need to keep an eye on him if he's given a full compliment of snaps regardless of who is throwing to him.

Is Blackmon getting a lot of coverage and opening things up for Shorts or is Shorts simply outplaying him?

Is Blackmon getting a lot of coverage and opening things up for Shorts or is Shorts simply outplaying him?
Shorts has been outplaying him, Blackmon and Gabbert have very little chemistry from what I've seen. Shorts is a pretty talented guy, he's a solid WR3 as long as he continues to get the most targets.

Shorts has been outplaying him, Blackmon and Gabbert have very little chemistry from what I've seen. Shorts is a pretty talented guy, he's a solid WR3 as long as he continues to get the most targets.
He looks like he has terrific wheels. Fun to watch.

Mike Thomas is dropping everything. Blackmon gets more coverage and apparently isn't always running his routes all the way.

Shorts has outplayed Thomas in every way.

Shorts is pretty talented, but he's going to have lots of bad games simply because Gabbert and Jacksonville are not very good.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ? This is one of those no brainers.

A. Last week at Oakland the Jaguars were going to be playing catch up to the Raiders. I picked up Shorts for $3 on waiver wire. His 17.90 fantasy points won me the game in high stakes.

B. Sunday at Green Bay the Jaguars were going to be playing catch up to the Packers, I gratefully started Shorts. His 19.60 fantasy points won me the game in high stakes.

The key is to see this early.

I HAVE PICKED HIM UP IN MOST OF MY LEAGUES and he has been a great flex and 3rd WR. He has four games of over 15 fantasy points in PPR.

In the last 2 weeks Shorts has outscored Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Victor Cruz, Dez White, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Stevie Johnson, Maurice Colston, Mike Wallace, Larry Fitzgerald, Percy Harvin in their last 2 games.................. :excited:

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ???? Sometimes Fantasy Football is really simple:

The Jaguars will be playing from behind.

They have to throw.

He is Gabbert's favorite receiver.

He does many long routes ...YARDAGE, POINTS !!!

The other name , high salaried receivers on Jacksonville get the attention.

Once is a coincidence, twice is a trend , three times is a fact !!! He has four games of over 15 fantasy points in PPR.

DON'T LOSE YOUR SHORTS, GET CECIL SHORTS :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
ARE YOU KIDDING ME ? This is one of these no brainers. Sometimes Fantasy Football is really simple:A. Last week at Oakland the Jaguars were going to be playing catch up to the Raiders. I picked up Shorts for $3 on waiver wire. His 17.90 fantasy points won me the game in high stakes.B. Yesterday at Green Bay the Jaguars were going to be playing catch up to the Packers, I gratefully started Shorts. His 19.60 fantasy points won me the game in high stakes.The key is to see this early.I HAVE PICKED HIM UP IN ALL MY LEAGUES and he has been a great flex and 3rd WR. He has four games of over 15 fantasy points in PPR.Yesterday in PPR league, Cecil Shorts 19.60 points outscored Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Victor Cruz, Dez White, Brandon Marshall, Maurice Colston, Mike Wallace, Calvin Johnson..I could go on and on.WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ???? The Jaguars will be playing from behind.They have to throw.He is Gabbert's favorite receiver.He does many long routes ...YARDAGE, POINTS !!!The other NAME , HIGH PRICED receivers on Jacksonville get the attention.In the last 2 weeks Shorts has outscored Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Victor Cruz, Dez White,Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Stevie Johnson,Maurice Colston, Mike Wallace, Larry Fitzgerald, Percy Harvin..................Once is a coincidence, twice is a trend , three times is a fact !!! He has four games of over 15 fantasy points in PPR.
But wait there is more! If you pick him up in the next 10 minutes you will also get this egg slicer at no additional charge! :)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ? This is one of these no brainers. Sometimes Fantasy Football is really simple:A. Last week at Oakland the Jaguars were going to be playing catch up to the Raiders. I picked up Shorts for $3 on waiver wire. His 17.90 fantasy points won me the game in high stakes.B. Yesterday at Green Bay the Jaguars were going to be playing catch up to the Packers, I gratefully started Shorts. His 19.60 fantasy points won me the game in high stakes.The key is to see this early.I HAVE PICKED HIM UP IN ALL MY LEAGUES and he has been a great flex and 3rd WR. He has four games of over 15 fantasy points in PPR.Once is a coincidence, twice is a trend , three times is a fact !!! He has four games of over 15 fantasy points in PPR.
But wait there is more! If you pick him up in the next 10 minutes you will also get this egg slicer at no additional charge! :)
:yes: Well said..DON'T LOSE YOUR SHORTS, GET CECIL SHORTS !!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ? This is one of these no brainers. Sometimes Fantasy Football is really simple:A. Last week at Oakland the Jaguars were going to be playing catch up to the Raiders. I picked up Shorts for $3 on waiver wire. His 17.90 fantasy points won me the game in high stakes.B. Yesterday at Green Bay the Jaguars were going to be playing catch up to the Packers, I gratefully started Shorts. His 19.60 fantasy points won me the game in high stakes.The key is to see this early.I HAVE PICKED HIM UP IN ALL MY LEAGUES and he has been a great flex and 3rd WR. He has four games of over 15 fantasy points in PPR.Yesterday in PPR league, Cecil Shorts 19.60 points outscored Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Victor Cruz, Dez White, Brandon Marshall, Maurice Colston, Mike Wallace, Calvin Johnson..I could go on and on.WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ???? The Jaguars will be playing from behind.They have to throw.He is Gabbert's favorite receiver.He does many long routes ...YARDAGE, POINTS !!!The other NAME , HIGH PRICED receivers on Jacksonville get the attention.In the last 2 weeks Shorts has outscored Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Victor Cruz, Dez White,Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Stevie Johnson,Maurice Colston, Mike Wallace, Larry Fitzgerald, Percy Harvin..................Once is a coincidence, twice is a trend , three times is a fact !!! He has four games of over 15 fantasy points in PPR.
Salute your shorts

Shorts is pretty talented, but he's going to have lots of bad games simply because Gabbert and Jacksonville are not very good.
Not if he continues to see double-digit targets every week. Catching 50% of 10-12 attempts adds up pretty quick when you're getting open downfield. And Gabbert clearly loves the guy.

Targets up. He is good for the longball and now is getting intermediate routes as well. He's a buy. Better than Gordon or Givens? I'm not sure.

So glad I started this thread......At least his name isn't Cecil Thongs......
Eventually, if he keeps putting up the stats he is, there will definitely be some real convo about his future prospects. I personally bought in after his big week 1... so I'm in long with shorts. Passed the knees.

Just picked him up and was shocked to see I was bidding against myself for him. I think this guy is a wr2 moving forward. How much more do people need to see?

Grabbed him after week 1. Noticed he would have a big game then disappear then have a big game. Started him the first time when he got a big game. Now he's going every week but I'm rebuilding so I don't have much depth

He keeps having good games - not sure if I can squeeze him in over James Jones, Britt or Wayne..........maybe in the flex over law-firm in 0.5ppr

Step 1: Sign Laurent to a big $ contract.

Step 2: Laurent gets outplayed, then gets concussed.

Step 3: Guy on the roster all along for next to nothing goes off over and over.

Step 4: Laurent is healthy.

Step 5: ???

Step 1: Sign Laurent to a big $ contract.Step 2: Laurent gets outplayed, then gets concussed.Step 3: Guy on the roster all along for next to nothing goes off over and over.Step 4: Laurent is healthy.Step 5: ???
Cecil Shorts will remain the Jaguars' starting "X" receiver even though Laurent Robinson (concussions) is ready.Shorts is playing so well that the Jags can't afford to take him off the field. Over the last two weeks, the second-year man out of Mount Union has totaled 12 catches for 195 yards and a touchdown. Shorts is a legit playmaker on a team desperate for one and is a legit WR4 with upside in fantasy circles. Robinson or Justin Blackmon will get some reps in the slot now that Mike Thomas has been shipped out of town.

Step 1: Sign Laurent to a big $ contract.Step 2: Laurent gets outplayed, then gets concussed.Step 3: Guy on the roster all along for next to nothing goes off over and over.Step 4: Laurent is healthy.Step 5: ???
STEP 5 IS 'IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT" !!!!! JAGUARS WILL KEEP THROWING IT LONG TO SHORTS !! :hophead: From Rotoworld today:"Cecil Shorts will remain the Jaguars' starting "X" receiver even though Laurent Robinson (concussions) is ready.Shorts is playing so well that the Jags can't afford to take him off the field. Over the last two weeks, the second-year man out of Mount Union has totaled 12 catches for 195 yards and a touchdown. Shorts is a legit playmaker on a team desperate for one and is a legit WR4 with upside in fantasy circles. Robinson or Justin Blackmon will get some reps in the slot now that Mike Thomas has been shipped out of town." Remember....In the last 2 weeks Shorts has outscored in Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Victor Cruz, Dez White,Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Stevie Johnson, Maurice Colston, Mike Wallace, Larry Fitzgerald, Percy Harvin in their last two games !!!!!!!! :excited:

Obviously worth a pickup if he's still out there in your redraft league.

I also think he's a decent guy to take a stab at in dynasty leagues. I grabbed him in one or two leagues after his week 1 performance, but dropped him in a roster crunch after his week two goose egg (and also because I read that Kevin Elliott got the start ahead of him that week). Kicking myself for that, but oh well. Water under the bridge.

I like what I've seen from him the last few weeks and I've made offers for him in several leagues. The problem is that his price has spiked after the big games. Timing is everything in trading and the ship has already sailed on Shorts's FF value. The window to get him cheap has closed. People who own him are going to cling to their shiny new toy. I've only been able to land him in one league this week, and I think I overpaid (gave up Matt Barkley in a 6 pts per passing TD league).

I still think you should take a stab. We've reached an inflection point in his value. Either he proves himself a legit starting caliber WR over the next few weeks and his value skyrockets or he's exposed as a mediocrity and his value reverts to zero. If you're not a fan, obviously don't send an offer for him. But if you think he might be legit, paying a painful price now is better than missing out on him completely if he goes all Miles Austin on us. I think he's worth the equivalent of a rookie pick in the 10-15 range. If that's not enough to land him, don't go crazy overpaying. There will always be another WR prospect...

Obviously worth a pickup if he's still out there in your redraft league.I also think he's a decent guy to take a stab at in dynasty leagues. I grabbed him in one or two leagues after his week 1 performance, but dropped him in a roster crunch after his week two goose egg (and also because I read that Kevin Elliott got the start ahead of him that week). Kicking myself for that, but oh well. Water under the bridge. I like what I've seen from him the last few weeks and I've made offers for him in several leagues. The problem is that his price has spiked after the big games. Timing is everything in trading and the ship has already sailed on Shorts's FF value. The window to get him cheap has closed. People who own him are going to cling to their shiny new toy. I've only been able to land him in one league this week, and I think I overpaid (gave up Matt Barkley in a 6 pts per passing TD league). I still think you should take a stab. We've reached an inflection point in his value. Either he proves himself a legit starting caliber WR over the next few weeks and his value skyrockets or he's exposed as a mediocrity and his value reverts to zero. If you're not a fan, obviously don't send an offer for him. But if you think he might be legit, paying a painful price now is better than missing out on him completely if he goes all Miles Austin on us. I think he's worth the equivalent of a rookie pick in the 10-15 range. If that's not enough to land him, don't go crazy overpaying. There will always be another WR prospect...
:goodposting: You're pretty high on him. I'd probably sell at the prices you're talking. Though I haven't actually SEEN any of Jacksonville at all this year.

Step 5. Trade slot Receiver Mike Thomas to the Lions and move Laurent to the slot. Continue starting Shorts.

Guy had a monster junior year at Mount Union after Garcon graduated and he became the man. Per Wiki he was a backup QB and part-time WR:

Shorts switched to wide receiver after Pierre Garçon graduated, and immediately became the top receiver. In 2008, Shorts caught 77 passes for 1,484 yards and 23 touchdowns. His 23 receiving touchdowns set a league record. He earned Associated Press first-team Little All-America honors following the 2009 season. In the 2009 NCAA Division III National Football Championship on December 19, 2009 against the UW–Whitewater Warhawks, Shorts caught 10 passes for 185 yards and two touchdowns. The Purple Raiders lost, however, 38–28. In 2010, Shorts' play was hampered by an ankle injury that prevented him from playing in three games. He finished the season with 18 receiving touchdowns, three return touchdowns and one rushing touchdown. He earned Associated Press first-team Little All-America honors for the second consecutive year following the season. Shorts had 4,705 receiving yards for 63 touchdowns in his career. He was considered a top wide receiver prospect in the 2011 NFL Draft.
Decent measuarables - 4.50 40, 34-1/2" vertical. I think this guy has talent, opportunity, and the trust of his (horrible) QB. Keep in mind he put up OK numbers while only being on the field for 25-30% of the snaps. Then he became a starter and has had very solid numbers. Last week's breakout was 11 targets, and on one of three he didn't catch he was wide open but the ball was overthrown. He also had a TD reversed by review.This week he's @ home versus a depleted Lions secondary. No brainer plug n play.

The way he has kind of burst onto the scene in his second year playing on a bad team kind of reminds me of Chad Johnson's breakthrough 2nd season with the 2-14 Cincinnati Bengals led by Kitna. Chad was a waiver wire darling in 2002 and after he took the starting job he was one of the top WR's in the league in the second half of that year.

Not saying Shorts will finish as strong as Chad did in 2002 but there are similiarites. I also remember Chads first good games that year were dismissed because of the bad team he played on.

Considering some of the other players available I think it is a no brainer to pick up Shorts because he has way more upside and also has already put up good numbers especially considering he has only started 2 games. With Jones Drew out the Jags are going to have to open up their offense a bit and you can't keep dismissing the numbers Shorts is putting up just because Gabbert is his QB.

Users who are viewing this thread