What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrelle Pryor (1 Viewer)

mere blitzianity

Footballguy
Bloom listed him a few weeks ago as a guy to stash on your fantasy roster. I highly doubt the Raiders pick up Palmer's huge option, but wanted to hear what others think, especially from Raiders fans. Is Pryor worth stashing or is he just another QB that can run, but not pass well from the pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Al Davis's last draft pick is another athletic project who will never develop into an NFL QB. He's a very poor man's version of Cam Newton who looks to run when he see pressure and doesn't look downfield. His deep ball floats and his mechanics and footwork are a mess. How he became an acclaimed QB at Ohio St is that his competition was just not good and his WR's bailed him out. I don't see Pryor ever developing into any kind of QB even if the Raiders decide to tank and bench Carson Palmer. He would be a weapon if he was converted to a WR or TE as he has the right size, speed and hands. I don't see him ever being an NFL starting QB for any team.

Al Davis's last draft pick is another athletic project who will never develop into an NFL QB. He's a very poor man's version of Cam Newton who looks to run when he see pressure and doesn't look downfield. His deep ball floats and his mechanics and footwork are a mess. How he became an acclaimed QB at Ohio St is that his competition was just not good and his WR's bailed him out. I don't see Pryor ever developing into any kind of QB even if the Raiders decide to tank and bench Carson Palmer. He would be a weapon if he was converted to a WR or TE as he has the right size, speed and hands. I don't see him ever being an NFL starting QB for any team.
Agree with this, he will never be more than a wildcat option as a quarterback. He should be moved to WR as soon as possible, because he has virtually no future as an NFL QB. I would be shocked if any team even considered him as their true #2, meaning if the starter were to go down he would be next in line. Strictly a wildcat option at best.

Tim Tebow ... throw a better ball than Pryor does.
Disagree. Neither is near NFL Starter Accuracy at the moment, and accuracy is probably a toss up between the two. But Pryor's got a stronger arm. His motion is a million times smoother, and Tebow takes about a second longer the get rid of the ball. As a QB, Pryor's got a better chance of succeeding as an NFL QB over the long term than Tebow does... of course that's not saying a whole lot.

For his current price, can you really go wrong if you have a deep bench? Look at the physical tools he has:

Carson thinks Pryor has a bright future:

“A lot of guys just grow up being bigger, faster and stronger than everybody and don’t quite have the work ethic. He works as hard as anybody I’ve been around. He wants to be great. He practices hard. He studies hard. He watches a ton of film. He’s got a great combination of God-given ability and skill to go with a great work ethic and a great desire to be a great player.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-notes-palmer-optimistic-about-pryor-s-future-in-nfl/article_eca046d5-a94e-5eb1-842e-faa92367ce37.html

Will he develop into a great player? Who knows, but as a lottery ticket I'm holding until I see more information. He is one of the few backups in the NFL that could be absolutely HUGE from a fantasy perspective...HUGE

Pryor has more natural ability than any QB outside of RG3. I like taking chances on players like Pryor because fantasy football is won by difference maker players. Pryor has a chance to be a genuine difference maker with his incredible athletic ability. I would rather own Pryor in dynasty than a guy like Mark Sanchez who has already proven he is not an answer.

I think the media has made opinion into gospel re: Pryor. He has the tools, a great work ethic and the coaching staff likes him. I think he makes a great dynasty stash.

I think where opinions may vary the most is how long do you want to tie up a roster spot waiting for a guy like Pryor to develop? I drafted Mallett in one of my zealots leagues (53 man rosters) and I still don't know if I have anything there. That is the biggest issue with prospects of this sort. You may have to hold them for a long time before you ever know if you have anything.

Chasing stars at the end of a large dynasty roster is fine as long as you temper expectations. Will Pryor ever get to release his energy before turning into a black hole? Personally I don't see him as an NFL quarterback and he doesn't view himself as anything but...time will tell. I think Brad Smith got it right and he's been able to forge a productive NFL career. Pryor's value right now comes from guys like Newton and RG3 coming into the league and performing well

He's going to get a couple chances to start. This year when Oakland is done. And possibly next year when their rookie QB is hurt. He can still win the job, but will get nothing handed to him. His best chance is if the draft pick is a bust. He will be a QB1 any game he starts.

He's going to get a couple chances to start. This year when Oakland is done. And possibly next year when their rookie QB is hurt. He can still win the job, but will get nothing handed to him. His best chance is if the draft pick is a bust. He will be a QB1 any game he starts.
hard to imagine them being "done" before week 17, what with the awful awful afc, and somebody likely slipping into the playoffs at 9-7 or even 8-8.

Worthless as a dynasty prospect. If you have this guy on your roster, you are a bottomfeeder.

Oakland Raiders: Might Terrelle Pryor get his chance?

By Jerry McDonald

ALAMEDA -- Could there be a Terrelle Pryor sighting Sunday?

He might actually put on a Raiders uniform against the Cleveland Browns at O.co Coliseum, and that would be a start.

"I feel like I haven't played in a year," the team's third-string quarterback said this week.

Pryor was last seen in a game Aug. 30 in the preseason finale against the Seattle Seahawks, completing 6 of 9 passes for 55 yards. The previous week, Pryor did something remarkable in that he made a preseason game memorable.

In a 31-20 win over the Detroit Lions, Pryor completed 3 of 5 passes for 137 yards and touchdown passes of 76 and 39 yards to Juron Criner. He ran the ball five times for 90 yards, including a 59-yard scramble around right end followed by an 18-yard touchdown run.

That's eight plays totaling 227 yards and three TDs, a stunning exhibition of all the athletic skill that made Pryor the last draft pick Al Davis ever made, a third-round supplemental selection out of Ohio State in 2011.

It also made Pryor somewhat of a "people's choice" among a segment of Raider Nation. Those fans aren't overly concerned about the footwork and foundational issues that are being refined on a daily basis by quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp.

While coach Dennis Allen is being nonspecific about a role, he has begun to warm to the idea of getting Pryor on the field.

"Somewhere down the line we need to see what he can do," Allen said. "Now when that time is, I don't know the exact answer for that yet. But there will be a time where we've got to get a look at him."

It isn't hard to read between the lines and envision some read-option plays where Pryor could contribute as a runner or receiver. The opportunity would likely be a brief one, and Matt Leinart remains first man off the bench if starter Carson Palmer is injured.

Leinart got the first-team work Thursday when Palmer was limited because of a sore thumb on his passing hand.

"I'm preparing to play," Leinart said. "Terrelle, he might get some stuff where we can use his athletic ability. ... You just keep preparing."

Knapp said the problem with activating Pryor through the first 11 games has been weighing the few plays he'd get as opposed to another player who is needed on special teams and as an injury backup.

Pryor was one of the most sought-after football-basketball recruits in the country as a Pennsylvania high school star. Then he proceeded to go 31-4 as Ohio State's starting quarterback before being embroiled in a memorabilia-for-cash-and-tattoo scandal that led to his early departure from school.

Pryor isn't used to inactivity.

"It's tough, but that's the calling for me right now, so I've got to deal with it," he said.

Knapp and Palmer said Pryor remains attentive during meetings, has a grasp of the playbook and takes preparation seriously. Pryor concedes understanding something in a meeting room and applying it on the field are two different things.

"If we were to talk and you were to give me a formation for this upcoming week, I'd know every single play," Pryor said. "I'd know where everyone's at, I'd know all the responsibilities. That's on paper, that's not on the field with four guys 300 pounds flying at you, so I don't know."

As for his skill as a passer, Pryor believes he has improved a great deal.

"It's amazing, the accuracy I have now," he said. "I'm able to step into my throws and throw it exactly where I want, and I've got to keep getting better at that."

Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick both throw a better ball than Pryor does. I can't see him as anything other than a Wildcat qb or a wr/hybrid te.
That isn't even possible
It's a scary though, but I'd say that it mght just be true. Pryor has no future as a QB in this league, he'd be a little intriguing if he switches positions to a WR/TE, but even that is a long shot. Great athlete, but I don't see much NFL potential with all things considered.

Worthless as a dynasty prospect. If you have this guy on your roster, you are a bottomfeeder.
He was sat on our waiver wire and this comment nearly put me off, but as a 3rd QB surely he's worth stashing on the slight chance that he makes it?

I am 12-0 and got him on my roster. :shrug: When you got IDP rosters of 45 players, you have plenty of room for development players, thats how you get the priest holmes and a.foster types.

'Nucker101 said:
'Chazzhawk said:
Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick both throw a better ball than Pryor does. I can't see him as anything other than a Wildcat qb or a wr/hybrid te.
That isn't even possible
It's a scary though, but I'd say that it mght just be true. Pryor has no future as a QB in this league, he'd be a little intriguing if he switches positions to a WR/TE, but even that is a long shot. Great athlete, but I don't see much NFL potential with all things considered.
While I tend to agree Pryor would make for an elite TE or WR... saying Tebow throws better is as big a falacy there is... Tebow has an all time "epic" slug-like release... almost a full scond slower then slugo Byron Leftwich. He litteraly telegraphs to the DB of the opposing team where hes throwing before the ball leaves his hand.

'dewmass said:
He was sat on our waiver wire and this comment nearly put me off, but as a 3rd QB surely he's worth stashing on the slight chance that he makes it?
Why not if you got the roster space? He may get a shot late in the season and we might a chance to see what he can do. But if not, then you can always cut him before your rookie draft next year.

Good news for Pryor Dynasty owners. :pickle:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6757/terrelle-pryor

Coach Dennis Allen has named Terrelle Pryor the Raiders' starting quarterback for Week 17 against San Diego.

Matt Leinart will go back to the bench. It's the most sensible decision possible for a Raiders organization that has often struggled to make sensible decisions over the past decade. Pryor, 23, at least has an outside chance to be a 2013 contributor to Oakland's cause. Leinart does not. Pryor, who's played just eight offensive snaps to this point in his career, will square off Sunday versus a Chargers defense that ranks 18th against the pass and fourth versus the run. Dec 28 - 3:34 PM

Ive owned him for a while in my dynasty league, though I'll be surprised if I see too much to get excited about this week against an underrated Chargers defense and resurgent team these past few weeks. We'll see, I'll definitely be paying attention at any rate.

Chasing stars at the end of a large dynasty roster is fine as long as you temper expectations. Will Pryor ever get to release his energy before turning into a black hole? Personally I don't see him as an NFL quarterback and he doesn't view himself as anything but...time will tell. I think Brad Smith got it right and he's been able to forge a productive NFL career. Pryor's value right now comes from guys like Newton and RG3 coming into the league and performing well
Difference is RGIII and Newton can pass.... Pryor is the evil Tim Tebow.

Difference is RGIII and Newton can pass.... Pryor is the evil Tim Tebow.
I dunno...maybe Pryor can pass too. In a preseason game against the Lions Pryor had a couple of really nice long throws to Criner, both of which resulted in a touchdown (one for 76 yards). Yeah, I know, 4th quarter preseason against the Lions scrubs...but he had a very nice touch on those passes. Probably nothing to see here, but certainly worth taking a flyer IMO.

Perhaps they can use the game tape from this start to show him his future in the league is to spend the offseason and convert to WR.

For his current price, can you really go wrong if you have a deep bench? Look at the physical tools he has:

Most horrifying thing I've ever watched. I'd be interested if he ever decides to play WR. Anyone holding needs to sell on hype before ppl actually watch him play

Pryor is a joke of a QB. Nothi.g to see here.
And you have what NFL sample to go off of?Your comment and the fact you think you know anything about football after not seeing him take any NFL snaps and make that assessment is the real joke.

This will definitely be fun to watch. Kind of like gawking at an auto pile up. Mcfadden will be looking at 9 man fronts for certain.
This could be a blessing for Raider Nation. Mark Davis might realize that the current coaching staff did not make any important players better this year. Palmer - nope, king of junk time. McFadden - nope, a whole year and we dont know if he was bad due to zbs or injury residue. Denarious Moore - nope, he seemed even more undisciplined this year. Maybe Davis will see how a Charger team playing for nothing with a lame duck front office will further expose the waste of a year under allen and knapp.

This will definitely be fun to watch. Kind of like gawking at an auto pile up. Mcfadden will be looking at 9 man fronts for certain.
This could be a blessing for Raider Nation. Mark Davis might realize that the current coaching staff did not make any important players better this year. Palmer - nope, king of junk time. McFadden - nope, a whole year and we dont know if he was bad due to zbs or injury residue. Denarious Moore - nope, he seemed even more undisciplined this year. Maybe Davis will see how a Charger team playing for nothing with a lame duck front office will further expose the waste of a year under allen and knapp.
Agreed... But hey at least they found out what they have in David Ausberry (sarcasm)...

Most horrifying thing I've ever watched. I'd be interested if he ever decides to play WR. Anyone holding needs to sell on hype before ppl actually watch him play
Sell? There need to be buyers in order to sell. Prior to this weekend's games, I doubt I could trade him and my current waiver priority (5th) for the #4 waiver priority. People just don't see him as being worth more than whoever they have marinating at the very end of the bench. Now, there is an extremely remote- but still non-zero- chance that this weekend changes that. There's even an extremely remote- but non-zero- chance that he gets named the starter this offseason. Or that he makes a position switch. He's a lottery ticket, but unlike lottery tickets like Devier Posey or DJ Williams or Julius Thomas, we'll know whether we're going to be getting any return in 36 hours, not 8 months. That makes him preferable, in my eyes. If the overwhelmingly likely failure winds up taking place, I can cut him tomorrow for exactly what I could trade him for today- absolutely nothing. I need guys who will be expendable to make room for my rookies, anyway, and Pryor fits the bill.

You'd think with his tOSU educated he'd be smart enough to learn an entry level offense like the Raiders.

Sell? There need to be buyers in order to sell. Prior to this weekend's games, I doubt I could trade him and my current waiver priority (5th) for the #4 waiver priority. People just don't see him as being worth more than whoever they have marinating at the very end of the bench. Now, there is an extremely remote- but still non-zero- chance that this weekend changes that. There's even an extremely remote- but non-zero- chance that he gets named the starter this offseason. Or that he makes a position switch. He's a lottery ticket, but unlike lottery tickets like Devier Posey or DJ Williams or Julius Thomas, we'll know whether we're going to be getting any return in 36 hours, not 8 months. That makes him preferable, in my eyes. If the overwhelmingly likely failure winds up taking place, I can cut him tomorrow for exactly what I could trade him for today- absolutely nothing. I need guys who will be expendable to make room for my rookies, anyway, and Pryor fits the bill.
Yep... That's how I see it too... Doesn't cost me a thing to cut bait next wk if he totally raiders it up... (See what I did there?... Funny because its true)

I'm watching bits of this game and the kid is looking like an actual quarterback. Curious to hear from anyone making this their primary game today.

I'm watching bits of this game and the kid is looking like an actual quarterback. Curious to hear from anyone making this their primary game today.
Has looked pretty good so far. Really did not understand the not ready stuff. He ran an offense for a big time college program. Was not like he was playing an entirely new position. There was no reason whatsoever for the Raiders not to play him today.

Has looked pretty good so far. Really did not understand the not ready stuff. He ran an offense for a big time college program. Was not like he was playing an entirely new position. There was no reason whatsoever for the Raiders not to play him today.
Should've played him 3 weeks ago.

13/28, 150 yards, 2 touchdowns. 9 rushes for 49 yards and 1 touchdown.
Sell sell sell!!! :unsure:
Im sure the hype can get going more. Id rather drop him if he doesn't pan out then sell now unless you get a really optimistic owner. What would be the upside of selling since most people probably picked him up for free. I cant think of who anyone would give up, Devon Wylie types maybe?Let us know who your getting if anyone is selling

Users who are viewing this thread