What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrelle Pryor (2 Viewers)

Speculators need to hold him at this point to see if Raiders give him a starting shot next year. Otherwise you sold low on your buy low and it was all for nothing.

I did not see the game. Does Pryor look like he can be a decent passing QB? If not and if he looks like he may get a chance to be the starter it might be the right time to sell the Oakland WR group.

I did not see the game. Does Pryor look like he can be a decent passing QB? If not and if he looks like he may get a chance to be the starter it might be the right time to sell the Oakland WR group.
I watched very little of that game, but from what I did see he looked like a viable option behind center. But it's possible I watched his few good plays and everything else stunk. :shrug:

I watched very little of that game, but from what I did see he looked like a viable option behind center. But it's possible I watched his few good plays and everything else stunk. :shrug:
For what it worth here is what Rotoworld has to say:http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6757/terrelle-pryor

Terrelle Pryor completed 13-of-28 passes for 150 yards with two touchdowns and one interception in the Raiders' 24-21 Week 17 loss to the Chargers.

The Raiders gave Pryor a "why not" chance and he responded reasonably well for a raw second-year man making his first career start. Oakland fell behind 10-0 and then 24-7 thanks to poor special teams play, but Pryor brought them back with his playmaking ability. He finished with nine rushes for 49 yards and a touchdown. Pryor certainly isn't the answer at quarterback, but he took strides toward securing the backup job in 2013. Matt Leinart is an impending free agent. Dec 30 - 7:26 PM

Tim Tebow ... throw a better ball than Pryor does.
Disagree. Neither is near NFL Starter Accuracy at the moment, and accuracy is probably a toss up between the two. But Pryor's got a stronger arm. His motion is a million times smoother, and Tebow takes about a second longer the get rid of the ball. As a QB, Pryor's got a better chance of succeeding as an NFL QB over the long term than Tebow does... of course that's not saying a whole lot.
:goodposting: Nuff said.

I watched a decent chunk of the game, and while I came away impressed with Pryor's speed and athleticism, his accuracy was poor. Not only off on too many throws but seemingly late as well.

I don't think it's fair to judge him too heavily based on one game. He did put up nice fantasy numbers though.

Maybe after watching Kaep's success across the bay tonight, the Raiders become more intrigued by Pryor's potential. Both QBs seem to be cut from the same cloth but Kaep has had far superior coaching thus far. I think the Raiders would be foolish not to develop that potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The San Francisco Chronicle believes Terrelle Pryor has "made progress" as a passer early in training camp.
We've also seen the Oakland Tribune praise 24-year-old Pryor's development. Pryor spent the offseason working with QBs guru Tom House, adjusting his "footwork and throwing mechanics." Pryor is running as Oakland's second-team quarterback so far. Tyler Wilson is No. 3, and Matt McGloin the fourth-stringer.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Raiders QB Terrelle Pryor: I never knew how to throw

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

Terrelle Pryor's name might be getting lost in the Oakland Raiders' quarterback battle between the presumed starter, Matt Flynn, and the presumed future, Tyler Wilson.

However, Raiders coach Dennis Allen said uber-athletic Pryor has entered training camp a much-improved signal-caller. Part of Pryor's development entering his third NFL season was thanks to hiring QB coach Tom House, a former major-league pitcher who also tutors Tom Brady.

"I never really knew how to throw a football before," Pryor said Sunday, per the Bay Area News Group. "It's coming along. I'm getting way better. I probably missed four or five throws out of 80, 85 throws today. I might ice my arm as a precaution tonight, but it feels great."

It must be tough for a quarterback to admit he never really knew how to throw, but Pryor's mechanics and accuracy the past few seasons are in agreement with his assessment.

While he might be the third wheel in the QB battle, Pryor will have a role in the offense, Allen said. The Raiders will have certain packages to get Pryor the ball on the edge and use his ability to run and throw.

Pryor's athleticism will keep him in the NFL, but if he continues just to be a gimmick quarterback, we wonder if it'd behoove both him and the team for him to accept a Denard Robinson-esque "Offensive Weapon" role.

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.

So he went from "absolutely terrible" to just "awful"?

I had this guy in a 2QB dynasty before seeing him throw at the pro level. After seeing that I dropped him immediately.

The haters are keeping Pryors price very low. Jump on him while you can
I still can't imagine he's going to get drafted in any smaller leagues. But if you already drafted and can make room on the end of your bench, I've seen stranger success stories in fantasy football.

Flynn still looks like a backup... still. He's making starter money as a backup... inside he's probably a happy guy.

Pryor brings a spark and even if Flynn starts the season, Pryor will see some starts this season IMO. Pryor will have his rough games... he's not polished by any means, but he can do a hell of a lot more for the team than Flynn can.

Pryor will have his rough games... he's not polished by any means.
Yes, and yet he appears to be a thousand times better than at this time last year. He looked completely lost during the 2012 preseason and I officially gave up on him ever being an NFL QB, but someone must have lit a fire under his ### this offseason, because he looks infinitely better and more confident. There's nothing to lose.... throw him in there and see what happens.

Pryor will have his rough games... he's not polished by any means.
Yes, and yet he appears to be a thousand times better than at this time last year. He looked completely lost during the 2012 preseason and I officially gave up on him ever being an NFL QB, but someone must have lit a fire under his ### this offseason, because he looks infinitely better and more confident. There's nothing to lose.... throw him in there and see what happens.
Agreed.

This summer, the Raiders’ quarterback job has been Matt Flynn’s to lose.So did he lose it Friday night?

Or, was it just that Terrelle Pryor may have taken it away from him in Oakland’s 34-26 exhibition loss to the Chicago Bears?

Flynn, who started Friday night’s game, was bad.

He completed just 3-of-6 passes for a paltry 19 yards and nearly completed as many passes to Bears defenders, throwing two interceptions in his brief stint until Pryor took over early in the second quarter.

At that point, the Bears were up 24-0 and Raiders fans weren’t happy. After Flynn’s second interception, thrown behind Jacoby Ford with little zip on it, some in the crowd began chants of “Pryor.” And they got what they wanted.

Pryor, showing a good arm and quick feet, completed 7-of-9 passes for 93 yards and a touchdown and ran four times for 37 yards – including a 25-yard burst for a touchdown – to lead the Raiders on four scoring drives from the second quarter through the third quarter (two TDs and two field goals).

Though the Raiders didn’t win the game and still have a wealth of other problems to solve, at least Pryor gave fans something to cheer about and gave the Raiders decision-makers something to ponder.

As San Francisco Chronicle writer Vic Tafur tweeted during the second half: “Flynn left the door open and Pryor ran in. Then he put his feet on Flynn’s couch and ate his chips.”

For Flynn, who went into last year’s training camp with the Seahawks as the anointed starter – then lost his job to rookie Russell Wilson – this must feel like a familiar scenario.

With just one more week to go in the preseason, and Oakland scheduled to play at Seattle this coming Thursday night, head coach Dennis Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie now have to be seeing what many fans are seeing:

That Pryor still may not be a polished NFL quarterback, but that his skill set at least gives the Raiders a chance to do something interesting when he’s taking snaps.

As one disgruntled Raiders fan tweeted after Flynn threw his second pick and after the Bears had quickly jumped all over the Oakland defense for a big early lead, “You can’t have a game manager for a QB on a team that has no defense.”

Running QB with great speed, whose passing looks improved (better than Tebow's I'd say), perhaps if only because he will be throwing from behind a lot on soft defenses.

He may not be announced the starter by this weekend, but he may be by week 1?

HEAD COACH DENNIS ALLEN
On the starting quarterback:
Coach Allen: "I think obviously we have to look at it. I think when you look at it I don’t think Matt [Flynn] played well in this game. Obviously, I thought Terrelle [Pryor] came in and gave us a spark. I thought he played well in the game. I think that’s something that we have to go and look at it. I’m not going to make any decisions on anything, obviously, tonight. I want to get a chance to go back and look at the tape and see how things went. But it was obvious that Terrelle gave us a little bit of a spark tonight.”​

I watched a lot of Terrelle Pryor in college and have watched him some in the NFL. Could be he just had one of those games but his passes look 100x better than I've seen. If he gets a shot I still expect him to make bad decisions but his throwing has come from a crawl to a light jog.

After thinking about it all night, I'd be disappointed if Pryor doesn't get the nod in week 1. Think about what we have here. Flynn was signed by Seattle (and Oakland, by extension) based on ONE great start he had against the Lions when he stepped in for Rodgers in a meaningless game for the Packers. Rob Johnson would be proud. Neither the Seahawks nor Raiders had the skill position players Green Bay did.

Look at how quickly RG3, Wilson and Kaepernick impacted their teams with some version of the read-option. Granted, Pryor does NOT have the accuracy of those three guys, but he is right in their ballpark physically and athletically. A full-time read-option will at least bring some excitement and give Oakland a better chance to be competitive every week. If nothing else, it will spin the clock much more, putting the defense on the field less. That can't be a bad thing. Also, this O-line is terrible. Flynn has no chance to succeed running a traditional offense. And the read-option could be the best thing for McFadden too. He and Felix went nuts running the Wild Hog at Arkansas. Even if this version is a ******* cousin of that scheme, you know he's at least familiar with the concepts.

Lastly, compare the college careers of these two. If they had been on the same team, there is no chance that college Matt Flynn would have started a game ahead of college Terrelle Pryor. What does that matter? Well, with the college spread/read-option offenses now bleeding into the NFL game, you don't need to be a traditional pocket QB to have success.

We can win 2, maybe 3 games with Flynn. Why not aim a little higher. I see zero downside to starting Pryor.

A lot of people will probably disagree with me, but if pryor gets the nod I believe he could be a borderline qb1 in 4pt passing td leagues. His running ability gives him a huge advantage and is really their best weapon aside from dmc who cant manage to stay on thr field.

A lot of people will probably disagree with me, but if pryor gets the nod I believe he could be a borderline qb1 in 4pt passing td leagues. His running ability gives him a huge advantage and is really their best weapon aside from dmc who cant manage to stay on thr field.
I'm just happy to not be the only crazy person here. ;)

Better flyer ...Pryor or Felix Jones? Thinking Pryor
You serious, Clark?

Edit: Started typing before I saw the "thinking Pryor" part at the end. Yes, Pryor. Felix is worthless.
Although the Raiders did/do look bad ....more upside in starting Pryor than Flynn .... snagged Pryor to fill an empty roster spot in dynasty ...why not ....could become next Kapern.
Yep, absolutely nothing to lose. For you and the Raiders. Good luck.

Al Davis's last draft pick is another athletic project who will never develop into an NFL QB. He's a very poor man's version of Cam Newton who looks to run when he see pressure and doesn't look downfield. His deep ball floats and his mechanics and footwork are a mess. How he became an acclaimed QB at Ohio St is that his competition was just not good and his WR's bailed him out. I don't see Pryor ever developing into any kind of QB even if the Raiders decide to tank and bench Carson Palmer. He would be a weapon if he was converted to a WR or TE as he has the right size, speed and hands. I don't see him ever being an NFL starting QB for any team.
I'm going to hope I eat crow from these comments in this thread last year.

Kid looks night and day from where he was back then. They should already anoint him the starter as this season is a rebuilding year looking ahead to next year's draft and huge pile of cap space. I think Flynn is a very average QB who could be a Chad Pennington type in the right system. But the offensive line is in shambles, and he has looked gawd awful in the last two starts, while Pryor has been the spark the offenses has been craving. I sincerely hope coach Dennis Allen chooses to name Pryor the week one starter prior to the week 4 preseason game, and rest him and let Flynn, McGloin, and Wilson have their fun against the Seahawks. Maybe play Pryor for a series or two.

From a fantasy perspective, if you have a deep roster, the time to add Pryor is now and stash and wait. If he is named starter, you are looking at the type of dynamic running QB who has potential to match a Kaepernick or RG3 lite. Especially since you can count on a ton of catch up garbage time from the Raiders this year. As a QB#2, he's dirt cheap and has super sneaky upside. I'll be looking to add him in the last round of my redrafts. I think his time will come inevitably though. Flynn won't last behind that putrid offensive line. Contrast Flynn's poor play and sullen body language with Pryor's competitiveness and leadership (teammates love him). Reports from the Raider beat writers were that an unnamed Chicago player said the Raiders should start Pryor if they want to have a shot to win. Similar reports came from Dallas players in preseason week one. I was skeptical before, but now I have to agree. Pryor should be the Raiders starting QB.

Serve me up a big heaping plate of crow, and throw some spicy mustard on it please! :)

For anyone wondering if Pryor can have fantasy value, let me remind you of what Tebow did in 2011. Over 14 starts, he put up 280 points in my league. That is 20 PPG which was on par with Freeman, Dalton, Vick and Wilson did last year. If Tebow can have that kind of fantasy value, no reason to think Pryor couldn't as well.

I'm sticking him at the end of my bench. See what happens. (Keeper League)

Raiders need to turn to Terrelle Pryor

By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

Just give Terrelle Pryor the ball.

Just let him do with it what he may. We don’t know what he would do. That’s the point. It might be awful, but it would certainly be worth the Oakland Raiders’ while.

If Pryor can parlay his wonderful natural athleticism into becoming an effective quarterback, the Raiders’ rebuilding phase could be short. Nothing is an elixir for a growing program like a dynamic, young quarterback. And if Pryor is not the answer, so be it. The Raiders could then move forward and add quarterback to their enormous list of needs.

But we know this: Matt Flynn is not the answer. At the very best, Flynn is a caretaker for the position. He is a 28-year-old with two career starts. He is a bridge quarterback at best. And he might not even be that.

The Raiders were awful once again in the preseason, in a 34-26 loss at home to Chicago. It was not that close. The Bears led 27-0 in the second quarter.

Look, the Raiders are a mess. They have issues throughout the roster. It’s not all about the quarterback. Flynn is not going to be able to elevate Oakland. But perhaps Pryor can give the Raiders hope. After Flynn was awful against Chicago, Pryor came in and gave the Raiders a spark.

He led Oakland to 20 points in about a quarter of play. Like all dynamic quarterbacks, Pryor’s play lifted the energy and effort level of his teammates. Sure, the fact Pryor gave Oakland a spark in the second half of a preseason game might mean little. But it could mean a lot.

I think Oakland coach Dennis Allen has to use it as a chance to give his team a permanent spark. Make Pryor the quarterback.

Sure, he is still raw and inconsistent. But why not? Pryor can make things happen with his legs. He works hard and desires to be great.

Will he be great? Well, at this point, it doesn’t matter. He will give one of the NFL’s thinnest rosters some hope. Playing Flynn would just delay the inevitable.

The bottom line is if there is a quarterback controversy on a team expected to vie for the No. 1 overall pick, there should be no controversy.

This is the perfect time for the Raiders to give Pryor the ball. It has to happen.

Here is his full highlight package from last night.

Flynn didn't even look like he was playing the same sport.
Flynn was horrible. No argument there. Pryor athleticism is apparent as he drops back and knows he can stutter step and hop to the side and buy an extra second to look downfield with linemen plundering along chasing him in futility. On the roll out runs, the LB's and secondary are easily frozen with a shoulder shrug and he seems to dance by them. No one has the proper angles. Of course, it was the Bears second team defense, but I suspect he'd be just as lethal against the ones.

Rotoworld:

Raiders coach Dennis Allen confirmed Terrelle Pryor will be mixed in with the first-team offense in practice this week.
Allen actually said Pryor "probably" would get first-team reps, but that's about as committal as NFL coaches get. "That's a position we're still continuing to evaluate," said Allen. Matt Flynn has not been benched yet -- and may not be before Week 1 -- but it's coming. We'd bet on Pryor making more 2013 starts.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Scott Bair @BairCSNMatt Flynn is being rested with elbow tendonitis (same issue as last year). Pryor will start versus Seattle. Take reps with 1s this week.
He's being "rested"... wink, wink. :thumbup:

I'm on the bandwagon.

If the Raiders implement a run-heavy approach with McFadden and Pryor I can definitely see that opening up things downfield for the Raiders WR. In this situation, you'd have to bump Denarius Moore who makes his money off winning "jump balls".

What I liked about Pryor though was his ability to extend the play, stepping forward through a broken pocket, pushing off arm tackles. It's almost to the point where defenses can't cover their guy long enough and Pryor keeps the play alive long enough to find someone open.

I'd like to see him running with the one's. I think there's a lot you could do with him, Ford, and McFadden as far as killing people with speed goes. From what I saw, he definitely favors the middle of the field. Definitely would benefit the tight-end.

Right now, I've got both him and Flynn on my roster. Once the starter is released, I'll drop whoever. Seattle will be a real test though, that's a premier defense. If he can evade a closing pocket as well as he did before, he will definitely earn the starting job.

...and I think we've seen the potential for Fantasy Points in running Quarterbacks.

This is a fantasy no-brainer but it seems like there's something about Pryor that makes it really difficult for folks to give him a chance. Sure, he will be stashed on the end of a few benches now, but in many cases it will be reluctantly and with the attitude that "he's awful...but I might as well".

He's not a great passer but he has improved. That matters. He's better than Tebow in a lot of respects and Tebow blew up waiver wires and put up top 10 QB stats. People were excited to get Tebow on their rosters and saw the fantasy potential but with Pryor it seems like a lot of people (not everyone) just want to focus on the negatives and restate the view that this guy isn't the long term answer. That may be, but while he's not being that long term answer, he might put up better stats than the QB you're starting on your roster. He put up almost 30 fantasy points last year in the final game (in 6pt TD) and that was while being an awful passer who threw for only 150 yards.

I said a similar thing in the Bilal Powell three but I think it applies also - there seems to be a prevailing sentiment that a player is who he is when we first see him in pro action. The fact that players can, and do, show genuine improvement can be overlooked. Pryor probably isn't going to be RG3 or Kaepernick, and he might still have a lot of deficiencies as a QB, but that doesn't mean he can't develop as a player.

This could go to either extreme. He could finally show all the promise he displayed in college, and people will be scrambling to get him on their teams, especially in 2-QB leagues. Or he could fall flat on his face against 1st-team defenses. We just have to wait and see. I liked Manuel a lot for keeper leagues, but Pryor could be every bit as valuable.

And McFadden becomes intriguing again with Pryor starting.

In 2QB leagues he's a must pickup. With those wheels and only Flynn to contend with he doesn't even have to be very good to keep his job and put up usable numbers.

Such a no brainer to start him. I thought he showed enough at the end of last year to earn a shot on a rebuilding team with no better option. The Matt Flynn acquisition was silly.

Starting to realize why McKenzie never got a GM job.

Users who are viewing this thread