Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've compiled a bunch of really good resources over the years and I'm essentially just good at absorbing info and parroting it. It's nothing special but thanks. 

Disagree completely.  You seem very closed minded to the possibility that a guy who is 6'4, 220, runs in the 4.3s, and seems to be making a huge progression in a transformation to WR, AND represents a

@SameSongNDance Are you a fantasy analyst? You seem to have solid insights in every thread I've looked at. Thanks for the contributions.

Raiders' Terrelle Pryor sets NFL record for longest TD run by a QB

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

October 27, 2013 6:17 pm ET

The Raiders first play from scrimmage was a good one for quarterback Terrelle Pryor on Sunday. Pryor took a shotgun snap, faked a handoff to Darren McFadden and then ran 93-yards untouched to the end zone to give Oakland an early 7-0 lead over Pittsburgh.

On the read-option play, the Steelers defense was caught completely off-guard when Pryor faked it to McFadden.

The touchdown run was the longest in Raiders franchise history and the longest touchdown run by a quarterback in NFL history.

Pryor's run broke the NFL record previously held by former Steelers quarterback Kordell Stewart. Stewart scored on an 80-yard run in a Week 16 loss to Carolina in 1996. Stewart finished the game with 102 yards on seven carries.

The long run by Pryor also broke Bo Jackson's franchise-record -- by one yard. Jackson scored on a 92-yard run in a 28-7 win over the Cincinnati Bengals in 1989. Jackson finished that game with 159 yards on 13 carries. Jackson also had a 91-yard touchdown run in a Monday night game against the Seahawks in 1987.

That run was awesome, no doubt, but Greg Olson and Dennis Allen have to take the training wheels off this guy. Everything they did after they were up by 14 screamed "DON'T LET PRYOR #### IT UP!!" which is just ridiculous. They aren't a playoff team this year and they only way they will miraculously get there is if they let this kid make plays passing and running.

Frankly they were lucky to win this game with that conservative play calling, it should never have gotten within two scores.

LET HIM PLAY!!! LET HIM PLAY!!!

Better than Kaep. RIGHT NOW.

meh. after his 93 yard run on the 1st play of the game, he had about 17 ff points. with basically the rest of the game to go, he scored 4 more points. that's fugly. take out that amazing play, and he sucked.

Not going to argue who's better, but let's not pretend that Kaepernick hasn't had some clunkers. Weeks 2 and 3 come to mind. At this point in fantasy they're pretty similar.

meh. after his 93 yard run on the 1st play of the game, he had about 17 ff points. with basically the rest of the game to go, he scored 4 more points. that's fugly. take out that amazing play, and he sucked.

This place is a riot when some hack QB runs a big TD or 2. Place goes nuts, like he's some stud QB.

It's usually followed up with 'he outscored QBs 'A', 'B' and 'C' this week'. That was always the tebow comeback when we told people how bad he sucked.

Edited by lod01
  • Like 1

FF owners are enamored with Pryor's athleticism, and he is a special athlete. But that athleticism only carries guys into year 2, when their decision-making and downfield passing ability is the key to their continued success. Pryor's coaches were protecting him in the second half w/ very good reason. They won't be able to scheme him into success after his rookie year without major development from him as a decision maker and passer. He has shown nothing in his career at OSU and in his Raiders career to indicate he has the tools to make that next step. This movie always has the same ending.

Kid can run though and he's a better passer than Tebow. Basically what I see is that good defenses are going to give him fits but he's going to be a solid fantasy QB against the rest.

That's a couple of times now someone has mentioned that Oakland's coaches were scared to let Pryor make plays. There's also a little thing called game situation. When you're up by three scores and Ben is doing nothing against your defense, it's silly to take too many chances. I don't care WHO the QB is.

LOL

Ok, I'll rephrase it if it makes you guys feel better. He sucked for 58+ minutes.

I'm not hating on him, but better than Kaep? come on. I actually played him today w/ rivers on a bye, and was shocked at how bad he performed after that run on the 1st drive.

10 / 18 for 88 yards (yes less than his great run for the entire game passing), oh and don't forget the 2 picks. I didn't see the game, so i don't know if the picks were his fault or tips, etc. how is anyone defending that? PIT does have a good pass D, but 88 yards passing for the entire game is very tebow'esque.

he's a amazing athlete, and I'm sure he'll continue to improve, but right now owners who have the stones to start him are praying for 200 yds and maybe 1.5 tds / game. PLUS his rushing which is why everyone is intrigued.

10 / 18 for 88 yards (yes less than his great run for the entire game passing), oh and don't forget the 2 picks. I didn't see the game, so i don't know if the picks were his fault or tips, etc. how is anyone defending that?

Because he put up a nice fantasy number.

One of the INTs was not Pryor's fault. I am still not sold on Pryor but it makes it difficult to evaluate him brcause of the lack of talent around him. It would certainly help if he had a weapon at TE, and a reliable, big-body possession WR. The staff played the second half so consevatively that the Raiders almost gave away a game their defense had dominated. They need to let Pryor throw a few deep balls.

FF owners are enamored with Pryor's athleticism, and he is a special athlete. But that athleticism only carries guys into year 2, when their decision-making and downfield passing ability is the key to their continued success. Pryor's coaches were protecting him in the second half w/ very good reason. They won't be able to scheme him into success after his rookie year without major development from him as a decision maker and passer. He has shown nothing in his career at OSU and in his Raiders career to indicate he has the tools to make that next step. This movie always has the same ending.

except how much he has progressed in the first half of this year. He said that he just learned how to throw a football the right this offseason.

10 / 18 for 88 yards (yes less than his great run for the entire game passing), oh and don't forget the 2 picks. I didn't see the game, so i don't know if the picks were his fault or tips, etc. how is anyone defending that? PIT does have a good pass D, but 88 yards passing for the entire game is very tebow'esque.

The game script killed his FF value. The Raiders were up 21-3 at one point. Of course they aren't going to take a lot of chances in the passing game. And even though the Steelers have been coming up short in the big play category, they are still doing a great job of limiting yardage. giving up under 200/game in the air so far this year.

LOL

Ok, I'll rephrase it if it makes you guys feel better. He sucked for 58+ minutes.

I'm not hating on him, but better than Kaep? come on. I actually played him today w/ rivers on a bye, and was shocked at how bad he performed after that run on the 1st drive.

Kaepernick, Week 5: 6-15, 113 yards, 14 rush yards.

You point to how Pryor's owners are "praying for 200 passing yards a game".

Kaepernick: 6 games of 199 yards passing or less.

Pryor: 2 games with fewer than 216 yards

On the season, Pryor's stats are virtually identical to Kaepernick.

Personally, I think Kaepernick is more advanced. But acting like someone is being ludicrous for suggesting that Pryor is better is pretty short-sighted.

Give this guy J. Thomas, E. Decker, J. Thomas, & Welker, & Pryor would be a pro bowler.

Well say this for another 10 QBs and get the same thing...

The game script killed his FF value. The Raiders were up 21-3 at one point. Of course they aren't going to take a lot of chances in the passing game. And even though the Steelers have been coming up short in the big play category, they are still doing a great job of limiting yardage. giving up under 200/game in the air so far this year.

So Pryor has a very nice schedule over the next couple weeks.

This is looking like pretty chancy stuff, he does look great, the Steelers have been a tough passing matchup of late and the situation did not call for a pass heavy game, but the question is is Pryor really startable at this time of year?

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Pryor is the real deal! He broke a record for longest qb run ever today. He is becoming a better passer as the year progresses, as well as a beast of a runner... I feel like he is starter material in most formats. Maybe not 6 point pass TD leagues.

Terrelle Pryor Made the Right Move Contacting Tom House

By

Sean ODonnell

Oakland Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor keeps shocking the football world. His first surprise came over the course of the preseason when he beat out veteran Matt Flynn for the starting role. He then surpassed all expectations by playing at a very high level through the first five weeks of the regular season.

Now, he has shown a great deal of maturity and reached out to famed pitching coach Tom House to continue improving as a quarterback.

If you aren't familiar with House, he spent eight years with the Atlanta Braves, Boston Red Sox and Seattle Mariners as a relief pitcher, and now spends his days mentoring the top quarterbacks in the game. House has worked with the likes of Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco and even Tim Tebow.

In fact, Tebow's regression after seeing House was one of Pryor's biggest reasons for contacting the esteemed quarterback guru. According to ESPN's Paul Gutierrez, Pryor doesn't want to fall into a Tebow-like relapse. Said Pryor:

Tebow looked great, he was throwing the ball great, wasn't missing anything. Then they said he went to [training] camp, and when he went back, he reverted back to himself because [that's] when the bullets are flying at you.

Pryor does not want that to happen to him.

Bill Polian on ESPN's NFL Insiders on Raiders QB Terrelle Pryor: "He's improved more than any player I've seen."

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 7, 2013

So far, so good for the quarterback, as he currently holds a 72.7 completion percentage in the pocket—good enough for fourth among all NFL quarterbacks per ESPN.com.

There is a noticeable increase in his effectiveness as a passer from game to game. Pryor was once viewed as an athlete who can also play quarterback—it appears as though he is doing everything possible to shed that image.

All that Pryor currently lacks is a little polish as a passer. Despite his impressive numbers, it's difficult to trust him at times. Pryor's footwork and technique has been sloppy over his career. He also has a tendency to throw back across his body when he scrambles out of the pocket.

This is the reason he is seeking the tutelage of House—Pryor wants to dispel these bad habits.

Pryor will not stop running, however. In fact, behind the Oakland offensive line, he cannot afford to stop running. That's alright with head coach Dennis Allen, who loves the athletic aspects of his quarterback:

His ability to escape, if the protection does break down, has been key for our offense. Because at times, I don't care who you are, at times the protection's going to break down. And when it does, he's got the ability to make something and create something, and for the most part, it's been positive for us when he's been able to do that.

Working with House gives Pryor recognition as an effective dual-threat quarterback. He is attempting to be the kind of quarterback that gives a defensive coordinator nightmares—the kind of quarterback that the Raiders desperately need.

If House can keep Pryor on his current path, the sky could be the limit for the 24-year-old quarterback.

The Raiders currently hold a 2-3 overall record, but are 2-2 with Pryor under center in 2013. With six of Oakland's final 11 opponents heading into Week 6 with losing records, Pryor's continued growth could keep the Raiders in the playoff discussion come January.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1806853-terrelle-pryor-made-the-right-move-contacting-tom-house

Edited by Raiderfan32904

I'm not hating on him....

yes you are.

I don't think he is. The TD run was sensational but that was an embarrassing display after that. I have no idea how a quarterback can throw for fewer than 100 yards (hell 90 in this case) in today's NFL. That's baffling to me when the entire game is set up to produce passing yards.

I stand by what I said about Pryor earlier that he's been more impressive than I expected. But after the TD run yesterday that was as bad a quarterbacking performance as you can muster in the NFL.

The gameplan got very conservative in the second half, with the plan to ground and pound the clock out. It didn't work very well at all, and the 4th quarter almost saw the Steelers come all the way back. I don't put the blame on Pryor for that. Blame the coaches who don't care about your fantasy stats.

Really thinking about pickng him up and starting him. With Vick and Cutler out and having Tannehill who has limited upside and a tough matchup, I don't mind my chances with Pryor against the Eagles.

I picked him up for peytons bye for this game against the eagles. It might be his high score game of the year. ..

I just see this as a game where, if Barkley is starting, Oakland can hand the ball off and win. I hope Im wrong.

Pretty sure foles is starting. Phili defs one of the best matchups you can ask for...

I also worry about the way the coaching staff utilizes Pryor when the Raiders have the lead. I am not sure if it is because they don't trust him to throw the ball or if they think it just really good for his ego/confidence to get him wins. His passing has been far better than what I had thought it could be, even under the best case, but he hasn't actually thrown many passes so maybe with more volume he would not look as good.

Either way that 93 yard TD run and his high yards per attempt make it very difficult to bench him under any circumstances.

I will throw this out there to ponder.

Last 4 games played between these two QB's. PPR/ 20 per passing yards/ 4 per passing TD/ 6 per rushing TD....you know the standard scoring plus PPR

QB A :

QB B :

QBA = Tom Brady

QBB = Terrelle Pryor

Guess who is going to the bench for me this week.

Edited by Todem

QBA = Tom Brady

QBB = Terrelle Pryor

Guess who is going to the bench for me this week.

That seems almost a no brainer, I made that decision in one league last week due to Brady's prior poor fantasy numbers. A more difficult question is if you have the choice of Pryor or either RG3/Locker (both who have question marks of their own). I also have the fear that the game plan will get conservative and he just hands off to DMC if they have the lead.

Edited by squistion

Any thoughts on his value in 2QB or Superflex dynasty leagues? More specifically, what is his job security going forward? I assume regardless of how he looks it would be less than Geno, EJ Manuel, and Locker and the fact that there's 5 startable QBs coming into the league affects him. I know OAK has said good things, but I'm not sure how much to believe.

He was a FA pick up week one....a flyer really.

I think this season he can be servicable. That play was spectacular. And he is has been super solid the last 4 weeks. The numbers don't lie.

I would probably start him over RGIII this week. All depends on RGIII's minor injury etc. But he just does not look like himself. He came back fast after a major knee injury. I think next season the real RGIII returns.

In a Super Flex dynasty......I would just ride him while you can. I agree he probably may not be the long term answer....but the raiders should let him loose soon and see what they really have. They may already know though....but gameday is not practice. Let him go and see what he can do no holds barred.

He was a FA pick up week one....a flyer really.

I think this season he can be servicable. That play was spectacular. And he is has been super solid the last 4 weeks. The numbers don't lie.

I would probably start him over RGIII this week. All depends on RGIII's minor injury etc. But he just does not look like himself. He came back fast after a major knee injury. I think next season the real RGIII returns.

In a Super Flex dynasty......I would just ride him while you can. I agree he probably may not be the long term answer....but the raiders should let him loose soon and see what they really have. They may already know though....but gameday is not practice. Let him go and see what he can do no holds barred.

That's the kind of discussion that went on with Wilson last year, but of course that was/is a much better team.

Does Oakland have the kind of offensive coaching brain trust that will create or allow a free flowing aggressive offense around Pryor?

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

I picked up Pryor as my QB2 last week after losing Bradford. If he came within sniffing distance of how good Wilson was down the stretch last season I'd be elated. While Pryor has performed better than I envisioned so far this season he lacks Wilson's (in my opinion) standout QB skills. Wilson is a quarterback who can run. Pryor in many ways is still a runner who is trying to play quarterback. He's doing a better job in that regard than I thought he would but games like this past Sunday against Pittsburgh show he still has a long ways to go. Wilson wasn't great in the first half of last season but he never had a sub-90 yard passing day.

Edited by packersfan

Well, I tend to agree that "Wilson is better than Pryor".... but put Pryor on Seattle (with a year and a half starting) and Wilson in Oakland (with 7 game starting) and then let's see who looks like the better QB.

I'd say Wilson because I believe he is the superior talent. Plus it's not like the Seahawks have been blessed with standout offensive talent around Wilson the last two seasons other than Lynch.

From a fantasy perspective, I'm loving what I'm seeing from Pryor. Don't get me wrong. I think he has become a strong QB2 and I think he has quality upside the rest of the way. Games like this past Sunday do give me reason for some pause, however, because it shows how much work he still needs to do as a passer. But strictly in terms of fantasy I've bought in. If he goes off the rest of the way like Wilson did last year that would be sensational. :)

True the Seahawks are not exactly --

I don't even know which team now qualifies as 'loaded with offensive talent'... most teams have major injuries now, Roddy/Julio, GB WRs, Saints, etc. etc.

-- the Bears? lol who would've known... but nonetheless, Wilson plays behind a vastly superior o-line, and his receiving options are much deeper than Pryor's if not obviously superior at the top. But besides pointing to one key player (soon to be Harvin), there are major differences between the two organizations. EVERYTHING is probably superior in Seattle.. head coach, positional coaches, management, etc. Point being Wilson is just straight up in a better situation.