Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Tannehill's upside

yankdog

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Ryan Tannehill went off for 359 yards and two touchdowns on 30-of-44 passing and ran three times for 17 yards in the Dolphins’ Week 2 loss to the Jaguars.

After letting fantasy owners down with a puzzling effort against Washington in Week 1, Tannehill was back to his effective self against Jacksonville. He shredded the Jags for 175 yards on 14-of-19 passing in the first half and was just as productive after halftime. Tannehill has a ton of offensive weapons at his disposal and finally seemed to realize that on Sunday. He might have a tougher time against Buffalo in Week 3 but we’re still on the Tannehill bandwagon. Tannehill appeared to suffer an ankle injury, but he said after the game he should be fine.

Sep 20 - 7:56 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Ryan Tannehill completed 19-of-44 passes 198 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions while running once for four yards in the Dolphins' Week 4 loss to the Jets.

Tannehill looked rattled from the start, often overthrowing his receivers and forcing balls into tight windows. He was especially uncomfortable when the Jets started peppering him with corner blitzes. His fourth quarter interception, a lazy pass to Jarvis Landry that was easily picked by Darrelle Revis, was the nail in Miami’s coffin. To this point, Tannehill has looked like a glorified Alex Smith, struggling on deep throws and relying heavily on screens and short slants. As pathetic as Tannehill looked on Sunday, he’s still quick enough to extend plays and should be in for a much better game against Tennessee when the Dolphins come out of the bye. Tannehill might have a new coach by that point.
Oct 4 - 1:53 PM

I've watched every game so far this year and, while he's had his moments, Tannehill hasn't looked very good to me. I realize he was under a lot of duress yesterday, but he consistently overthrew his receivers even when he had time. He was pretty bad vs. Washington in week 1 also.

I've watched every game so far this year and, while he's had his moments, Tannehill hasn't looked very good to me. I realize he was under a lot of duress yesterday, but he consistently overthrew his receivers even when he had time. He was pretty bad vs. Washington in week 1 also.

At this stage in his career I think it's safe to say that what you see with Tannehill is what you're gonna get. People kept waiting for the Matt Stafford "breakout" that was certain to happen when he got more talent around him and better protection up front ... and they're still waiting.

I think when all is said and done, Tannehill's career arc is going to wind up remarkably similar to Stafford's. They'll both be secure in their starting gigs for some years, but they'll never have the accuracy or consistency to push your fantasy team over the top - they'll always wind up somewhere in the QB8-12 range regardless of the level of preseason buzz or pessimism. :2cents:

• Like 1

Please, I watched the whole game. He wasnt under that much pressure. Sure he had to move around the pocket a little but nothing out of the ordinary. Bottom line is, he isnt that good. And I never saw a QB struggle so much near the goal line.

And I never saw a QB struggle so much near the goal line.

This, along with his inability to throw the consistent deep ball, makes Tannehill incredibly inconsistent from a fantasy perspective. It seems as it a lot has to go right for him to score well.

And where did his running ability go? The thing that made Tannehill appealing was his ability to get 15-30 yards on the ground.

He's a decent QB2, that's it.

Things have gotten so bad for the Dolphins lately that Ryan Tannehill has apparently dissed practice squad players who are getting the best of him in practice.

The National Football Post reports that after some practice squad players created turnovers during practice on Saturday, Tannehill told them "Enjoy your practice squad paycheck, enjoy your practice squad trophy."

According to the report, Saturday was an escalation of what has been weeks of tension within the Dolphins, and that Joe Philbin, who was fired as head coach on Monday after the Dolphins fell to 1-3, had trouble handling Tannehill as the quarterback has struggled. In an effort to preserve Tannehill's confidence, Philbin told the practice squad players to go easy on Tannehill in practice, the report said.

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

Tannehill signed a four-year extension in the offseason to his existing deal, which was reworked to guarantee him $21.5 million. He has progressed in each of his first three seasons but hasn't performed well as of late.

During Miami's loss to the Jets in London on Sunday, Tannehill completed 19 of 44 passes for 198 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. The week before in a blowout loss at home to Buffalo, he went 26-for-49 with 297 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions.

I don't really put any of this on Tannehill. He was taking shot after shot on Sunday. I think this team gets a heavy dose of Lamar Miller moving forward. Might as well use him up as he's gone after this season anyway.

Why are you pimping Lamar Miller in every thread? It reeks of desperate owner seeking confirmation bias. Lamar Miller isn't Adrian Peterson who can seemingly create plays at will. He's not a precious resource they've been hoarding. He's an above average NFL RB and at best an average NFL starting RB. He's not crushing the elusive rating or dragging defenders for YAC. He belongs in your RB2 or flex spot as a boom or bust player. He's not going to save your teams now that Philbin is gone.

I thought Tannehill was one of the good guys (personality-wise), but if that comment is true about the practice squad players, well that's kind of messed up.

You never know who these guys really are. Tannehill could be a complete jag, or the complete opposite. However, I wouldn't read too much into that story. Parker, Jennings, Stills and Cameron are all new to this offense. Its pretty doubtful that they are all running the correct routes. Its Tannehill's job to throw it to a certain spot, if the WR isn't there...bad things tend to happen. Not saying that's what's happening here, but again, I'm not reading too much into this.

That's probably because he's not very good. He's an inaccurate thrower and his pocket presence sucks. He's the king of "good statistical game, but if you watched it, he didn't look very good." He is the king of paper stats (and even those are often not good: see; his awful YPA last year). He is not a guy you will win because of.

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 1

I thought Tannehill was one of the good guys (personality-wise), but if that comment is true about the practice squad players, well that's kind of messed up.

Well, let's take a step back. Even if we assume he DID say that stuff (no way of knowing for sure), we don't know what kind of stuff they were saying to him to provoke him. He could still be a good guy but have his limits. Or worst case scenario, he had an unprovoked lapse in judgment due to being competitive and frustrated. Lapses in judgment happens to all of us. No need to form strong opinions on the guy based on gossip that doesn't tell the complete story.

• Like 2

As a Washington fan, this Tannehill/practice squad story reminds me of the final days of the House of Shanahan. When things are going bad and no one's really in charge, organizations leak like a sieve and you can't trust anything you hear without considering the agenda of the leaker.

My only takeaway from all this is that the Dolphins are a deeply dysfunctional organization right now, and it probably won't get better anytime soon.

• Like 1

You'd have to think his attempts are going to decline as the teams goes into a bunker mentality. Obviously him leading the NFL in attempts was a recipe for disaster. I don't think his fantasy point droop much though. Maybe a little bit but I think his efficiency will increase as the team finds more balance.

But even Tannehill admitted that the report wasn’t completely false. As Darlington notes, he confessed to telling scout team players to enjoy their “practice squad trophy” but insists he never made any remarks about a “practice squad paycheck.”

“I said nothing about a paycheck,” Tannehill insisted. “I hold myself to a higher standard than to say something like that.”

Well, sure I degraded their occupation, but I would never stoop so low as to point out how little people in that occupation make.

Rotoworld:

Dolphins interim coach Dan Campbell is promising only "tweaks" of the offense.

In other words, Ryan Tannehill will still be doing plenty of throwing. We still expect one of those "tweaks" to be a concerted effort to get Lamar Miller more involved. Tannehill remains on the QB1 borderline going forward, and should typically be in the 10-14 range.
Oct 12 - 3:03 PM

I don't blame people for jumping ship, but this feels like a tipping point for Tannehill. He's been dealing with a bad offensive line since he got there, scandal, bad coaching, a middling to below average running game, and a revolving door at WR. You could probably say that about a lot of QBs that ended up on the scrap heap however.

I think the rest of this season is going to be very important for him. He's got to take charge of that offense, and start stringing together some very good games.

As a dynasty owner, I sure hope they bring in a strong offensive minded coach for 2016. Regardless of that, he'll likely be dealing with another offensive system (his 3rd since entering the league).

Rotoworld:

In other words, Ryan Tannehill will still be doing plenty of throwing. We still expect one of those "tweaks" to be a concerted effort to get Lamar Miller more involved. Tannehill remains on the QB1 borderline going forward, and should typically be in the 10-14 range.

The problem I have with the 10-14 ranking range is Tannehill currently ranks as QB15 in terms of ppg. But lurking just beneath him are guys like Wilson, Romo, Ryan, Luck, and Manning. IMO, most of those guys will have a return to form while I still have mixed feelings about how well the Dolphins offense will be heading forward.

Rotoworld:

Source: Adam Beasley on Twitter

The problem I have with the 10-14 ranking range is Tannehill currently ranks as QB15 in terms of ppg. But lurking just beneath him are guys like Wilson, Romo, Ryan, Luck, and Manning. IMO, most of those guys will have a return to form while I still have mixed feelings about how well the Dolphins offense will be heading forward.
well then you also have to consider guys like bortles and mccown who are ahead of him

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Ryan Tannehill completed 18-of-19 passes for 282 yards and four touchdowns in the Dolphins' Week 7 stomping of the Texans.

He had a perfect passer rating of 158.3 and completed his first 18 passes. The Texans couldn't cover or tackle anyone Sunday. None of Tannehill's touchdowns were deep shots, as Jarvis Landry housed a 50-yard score on a simple out route when he broke a handful of tackles. Rishard Matthews' 54-yard score was on a quick slant, and Lamar Miller's 54-yarder was on a screen. Tannehill's other score went to Landry a second time from 10 yards out. Tannehill will be on the back end of the QB1 map Thursday night against the Patriots.
Oct 25 - 4:32 PM

Let's see, if only something would happen to the Dolphins to totally shake up their dismal season.....hmmmm what could do that?

As far as I'm concerned the Phins are a blank slate.

With how the Dolphins have played since Philbin was fired it makes me wonder if the team went in the tank to get him canned.

They have been playing much better ever since.