What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tannehill's upside (2 Viewers)

I played this guy over Big Ben today in one league. All you can do is laugh. Ben is playing against a defense which shut out a team last week, and that team scored 37 points the week before. So of course, Ben is on pace to throw for 700 yards and 8 TDs today (I'm barely exaggerating). Meanwhile, Jacksonville and their 32nd-ranked pass defense befuddles Tannehill all day. Gotta love this hobby.

:ptts:

I played this guy over Big Ben today in one league. All you can do is laugh. Ben is playing against a defense which shut out a team last week, and that team scored 37 points the week before. So of course, Ben is on pace to throw for 700 yards and 8 TDs today (I'm barely exaggerating). Meanwhile, Jacksonville and their 32nd-ranked pass defense befuddles Tannehill all day. Gotta love this hobby.

If it makes you feel any better, I made the exact same roster decision today

If it makes you feel any better, I made the exact same roster decision today
Me too.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Tannehill - QB - Dolphins

Ryan Tannehill completed 24-of-34 passes for 288 yards, three touchdowns, and zero interceptions in the Dolphins' Week 9 rout of the Chargers.

He also added 47 yards rushing on four attempts, with the Dolphins mixing in more read-option plays. Tannehill took the fourth quarter off with the Dolphins throttling the Chargers 37-0. Before giving way to Matt Moore, Tannehill found Charles Clay, Rishard Matthews, and Jarvis Landry for touchdowns, generally helping nobody across the fantasy landscape. Tannehill has been strong since his job was brought in question prior to the London trip, but he won't be a recommended start against the Lions in Week 10.

Nov 2 - 3:39 PM

The staff has done a great job with the read option and letting him have a bit more freedom out there. He's ran at least 47 yards in each of his last 4 games. (After only running for 18 yards total for the first 3 games)

Since Week 4, he's QB7 in 20 pass yrd/1 leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Ryan Tannehill completed 27-of-38 passes for 201 yards, one touchdown and an interception in Miami's 20-16, Week 10 loss to the Lions.

Tannehill wasn't a factor on the ground, gaining zero yards on two carries. Tannehill's hot streak was stopped in its tracks against the Lions' elite defense, though he could have had a much-better day had he simply hit Mike Wallace on a second-quarter deep bomb. Instead — as usual — Tannehill missed what would have been an easy 60-yard touchdown. Tannehill's pick was a horrific read where he never saw James Ihedigbo. Tannehill has an extremely tough Week 11 matchup in the Bills on a short week, especially since the Dolphins will be adjusting to life without LT Branden Albert (knee).

Nov 9 - 4:56 PM

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reports there's "no doubt" Ryan Tannehill (shoulder, ankle) starts Thursday night's Week 11 game against the Bills.

Tannehill took a few shots last week against the Lions and actually hurt his throwing shoulder while attempting to make a tackle following an interception. He's been limited in practice all week, but is fully expected to be fine for the important AFC East tilt. Tannehill will be a mid-to-low QB2 option.

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter
Nov 12 - 10:49 AM

I'm cautiously optimistic that Tannehill can become a viable top 10 option. Hard to view it any other way right now.
Still feel this way. He's been solid this year.
It's the best he has looked thus far in his career. Once they started taking the chains off his feet and started letting him use them...things have opened up for him. Add in an improved OL, a legit running threat with Millers emergence and Jarvis Landry fast becoming his favorite target and a far better OC now at the helm...things are getting better.

He still can't hit the deep ball and that is killing his long term value to become elite. He must be able to hit Wallace in stride or we wasted 60 million dollars. Wallace has been open numerous times for an easy 6...and he keeps missing him.

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Manning (in his prime)

Eli

Flacco

Dalton

Rivers

Newton

Drew freaking Stanton

I can keep going, can hit the deep ball. Tannehill must get this going or his upside is limited. The Chad Penningtons and Alex Smith's of the world can only take a team so far.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Tannehill completed 26-of-36 passes for 228 yards, three touchdowns and an interception in Miami's 39-36, Week 12 loss to the Broncos, adding four rushes for 15 yards and an additional score.

Today was the first time in Tannehill's 43-game career that he accounted for four total touchdowns. Tannehill was on point from the beginning, being decisive in the pocket, and accurate on the run. He had a hard time keeping up with Peyton Manning, however, as injuries mounted for the Dolphins' defense. Tannehill's pick was a tipped pass thrown to a tightly-covered Jarvis Landry. A second INT was overturned by defensive holding. It wasn't a perfect game, but Tannehill did all that could reasonably be expected in a high-scoring road jaunt. Much more consistent than he was the first two years of his career, Tannehill will be in the QB1 conversation against the Jets' dreadful secondary next Monday.

Nov 23 - 7:44 PM

Im starting Tanny over Brees. Tired of watching Brees struggle on the road.

My playoffs arent on the line, but playoff position could be.

Starting him again, with my playoff hopes on the line.

Who is with me?
I'm with you. Playoff hopes on the line and he's in my lineup. I've been rolling him out for 5-6 weeks now though, and in my league's scoring he's QB #8 in average points per game.

Who is with me?

Who is with me?
starting him in 2 of my 3 leagues, actually. One being the FBG FFPC (drafted Matt Ryan).

Does he go off against the Jets, or have an average game? I would have liked for Clay to play but he put up numbers without him against Denver. It also helps that Wilkerson is out for the Jets, which is one of the few things that worked on their defense.

Looks like I'll be riding the Tanny train to the semi-finals this week (yeah, we do a week 17 SB). Hoping for a good game but Minnesota is top 6 against the pass.

Looks like I'll be riding the Tanny train to the semi-finals this week (yeah, we do a week 17 SB). Hoping for a good game but Minnesota is top 6 against the pass.
Zimmer scares me. Considering that MIA tend to give up a lot of sacks and with their offense being somewhat one-dimensional, I'm scared that Zimmer will be able to shut it down. I'll likely be starting Alex Smith against PIT over Tanny this week in one of my leagues, but it could definitely backfire on me. I find it hard to predict which games Tannehill will do well in. He seems to put up big numbers against better teams but he's not able to beat up on inferior opponents.

I'm rolling with Tannehill in my SB. I've been riding Cutler but obviously that has come to an end. Minnesota is pretty good on the year, but they've been giving up 20.6 points per game over the last 5 weeks and the game is at Miami. I think there should be a decent stat line to be found. Hopefully Tannehill can make some plays with his legs as well. I'm also planning on Wallace to have a solid game as well.

I'm rolling with Tannehill in my SB. I've been riding Cutler but obviously that has come to an end. Minnesota is pretty good on the year, but they've been giving up 20.6 points per game over the last 5 weeks and the game is at Miami. I think there should be a decent stat line to be found. Hopefully Tannehill can make some plays with his legs as well. I'm also planning on Wallace to have a solid game as well.
Landry's his top target (54 to 42 over the past 6 weeks in targets). Not sure I'd plan on Wallace having a solid game, but he is coming off his first 100-yard game.

I'll be starting him in one of my SBs, thanks to the Jay Cutler benching. Oh lawd.

The good things for Tannehill is 1) his running ability, and 2) if he has some short passes/dump-offs to Lamar Miller, who should be heavily involved, that could really ramp up his yardage.

Zimmer scares me. Considering that MIA tend to give up a lot of sacks and with their offense being somewhat one-dimensional, I'm scared that Zimmer will be able to shut it down. I'll likely be starting Alex Smith against PIT over Tanny this week in one of my leagues, but it could definitely backfire on me. I find it hard to predict which games Tannehill will do well in. He seems to put up big numbers against better teams but he's not able to beat up on inferior opponents.
With my option being newton/da or picking up Clausen, it's a somewhat easy choice. But I don't like it either.

This guy appears to be a legit NFL starting QB. It took 3 full years however to get to that point. The fin heaven message board screamed for 2 years to find a new QB. They should be glad they have this guy as it's tough to wait that long to see if a guy has what it takes to play QB in the NFL. Of course, being a 1st rounder, he was able to weather the storm.
Tannehill did not impress me in college or even much his first two years, but he does seem to be getting it.

Unquestionably agree. The guy was on the verge of losing his job entirely after about a month. Absolutely made the right move sticking with him.

I think the offense is a really good fit for his talents. Really good year learning his first NFL offense. That was my biggest concern with Tannehill.
By far the best he has looked. But I still have doubts about is footwork in the pocket, his overall pocket awareness and the ability to create when plays are not going according to plan. Plus he still has awful accuracy downfield compared to top front line QB's. I am hoping he can still improve yet again in year 4.

He is a decent starting QB. He is nowhere near elite. Those are the facts. It's sad that in 15 years he is the best we have had since Marino. It shows just how bad our front office has been since Shula was kicked to the curb.

Unquestionably agree. The guy was on the verge of losing his job entirely after about a month. Absolutely made the right move sticking with him.

I think the offense is a really good fit for his talents. Really good year learning his first NFL offense. That was my biggest concern with Tannehill.
By far the best he has looked. But I still have doubts about is footwork in the pocket, his overall pocket awareness and the ability to create when plays are not going according to plan. Plus he still has awful accuracy downfield compared to top front line QB's. I am hoping he can still improve yet again in year 4.

He is a decent starting QB. He is nowhere near elite. Those are the facts. It's sad that in 15 years he is the best we have had since Marino. It shows just how bad our front office has been since Shula was kicked to the curb.
His down field accuracy is the reason I dismissed him in college, absolutely awful IMO. He's improved every year but still has to get better if he's going to enter that 'elite' category.

The downfield accuracy is obviously a big concern. It seemed like he/Miami stopped even taking deep shots at the end of the season.

If the QB can't throw deep, that is wasting much of what made Mike Wallace a valuable WR.

Rotoworld:

The Dolphins are fully expected to pick up the $15 million fifth-year option on Ryan Tannehill for 2016.

That's only if the sides can't hammer out an extension before Tannehill is forced to play out 2015 at just $2 million. It's confirmation Dolphins brass remains high on its 26-year-old franchise quarterback, who ranked fifth in completions (392), fifth in completion percentage (66.4), 11th in yards (4,045), T-12th in touchdowns (27) and 14th in passer rating (92.8) this past season. The athletic Tannehill added 311 rushing yards and one score on the ground, boosting his fantasy value. If he can add deep-ball accuracy to his resume, he'll take the next step.

Source: Miami Herald
Jan 22 - 8:42 AM

Rotoworld:

The Dolphins are fully expected to pick up the $15 million fifth-year option on Ryan Tannehill for 2016.

That's only if the sides can't hammer out an extension before Tannehill is forced to play out 2015 at just $2 million. It's confirmation Dolphins brass remains high on its 26-year-old franchise quarterback, who ranked fifth in completions (392), fifth in completion percentage (66.4), 11th in yards (4,045), T-12th in touchdowns (27) and 14th in passer rating (92.8) this past season. The athletic Tannehill added 311 rushing yards and one score on the ground, boosting his fantasy value. If he can add deep-ball accuracy to his resume, he'll take the next step.

Source: Miami Herald

Jan 22 - 8:42 AM
He's not elite but he's probably a "top 5 under 27 QB"

Definitely not elite yet, but can get there. Needs as noted to improve the deep ball. Its below average for NFL starting QBs. Way below.

That said, Andy Dalton over him for the pro bowl? Thats silly. Neither was a pro bowl QB this year, but if one had to go, that should have been an easy call.

I don't pretend to know all things Dolphins, but I would really like to see how Tannehill's deep ball accuracy issues would be affected if they added Kevin White or DeVante Parker. Somebody that's 6'3" and can high point a football seems sorely lacking in their offense. Get that PITA Wallace out of that huddle, and move on to a real #1 WR.

I don't pretend to know all things Dolphins, but I would really like to see how Tannehill's deep ball accuracy issues would be affected if they added Kevin White or DeVante Parker. Somebody that's 6'3" and can high point a football seems sorely lacking in their offense. Get that PITA Wallace out of that huddle, and move on to a real #1 WR.
I don't see how they don't draft 1 if not more WR's this year so it's very possible that Tannehill will have some new targets to play with. Very possible that 1 of White or Parker is there at #14 for them to grab too. I don't follow the Dolphins carefully but if they move on from Wallace, it appears that it would be one of their biggest needs.

Rotoworld:

One source told Sun-Sentinel's Dave Hyde the Dolphins are discussing a contract extension that could pay Ryan Tannehill $105 million over seven seasons.
Even if the deal doesn't come to fruition, Hyde is confident the Dolphins would at least pick up Tannehill's option for 2016. Deals of this length tend to frighten people, but often only the first two years are guaranteed. Colin Kaepernick and Andy Dalton signed similar contracts last offseason. Not that Tannehill wouldn't be worth the money. His 66.4 percent completion percentage in 2014 was fifth-best in the NFL. Tannehill turns 27 in July.

Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Feb 9 - 4:52 PM

With the Dolphins signing Cameron and trading for Stills, on top of Landry, Miller and Wallace (if he stays), it seems clear that the Dolphins are building some weapons around Tannehill.

Also considering his running ability, the arrow on Tannehill's FF prospects sure seems to be pointing up big time.

With the Dolphins signing Cameron and trading for Stills, on top of Landry, Miller and Wallace (if he stays), it seems clear that the Dolphins are building some weapons around Tannehill.

Also considering his running ability, the arrow on Tannehill's FF prospects sure seems to be pointing up big time.
I'm suspecting they signed Stills so they could jettison Wallace. Perhaps they hit a stand still in trying to renegotiate Wallace's contract? If that is the case, does Stills have what it takes to be a #1 WR? And what good is he if Tannehill struggles with the deep ball? Seems that was Stills' bread and butter too.

I'm suspecting they signed Stills so they could jettison Wallace. Perhaps they hit a stand still in trying to renegotiate Wallace's contract? If that is the case, does Stills have what it takes to be a #1 WR? And what good is he if Tannehill struggles with the deep ball? Seems that was Stills' bread and butter too.
Looks like they are indeed looking to restructure Wallace, so maybe he stays. A lot has been made of Tannehill's deep ball prowess, but it could just as much be on Wallace as Tannehill.

Looks like they are indeed looking to restructure Wallace, so maybe he stays. A lot has been made of Tannehill's deep ball prowess, but it could just as much be on Wallace as Tannehill.
No. It's not on Wallace. The guy has been running free behind defenders consistently. And Tannehill either misses him when he throws it (badly btw) or does not pull the trigger at all because he has almost zero confidence in his ability to hit the deep pass.

He stinks at it. It's bad man....really bad.

I hope and pray he really get's it this season.....or defenses will never have to respect this team going up top...which kills your ability to do things underneath.

Wallace is only guaranteed 3 million in 2015. The Dolphins would have to eat a pretty big piece of dead money (9.6 million) to cut him, but he does offer a 2.5 million cap savings if cut.

Without restructuring, their options are to part with Wallace having paid him 27 million for 2 seasons, or pay him 34 million for three seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread