What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tannehill's upside (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Dolphins OC Bill Lazor expects Ryan Tannehill to be better in all phases of the game this season.

"I think everything should be better," Lazor said. "Ryan is an extremely hard worker. ... I don't know that you can script a better formula for a guy to be successful." Tannehill had something of a breakout under Lazor last season, and is entering what should be the prime of his career at age 27. The Dolphins have supplied Tannehill with weapons all over the offense, including many who do work at the short-to-intermediate levels of the field. Tannehill could finish as a top-eight fantasy quarterback this season.

Source: Miami Herald

May 26 - 5:53 PM

Skins, Jags, Jets and Titians look like the top 4 picks of the draft, but Mia plays them all within the first 5 weeks of the season. Tannehill could be a nice flip after that stretch

Last edited by a moderator:
Dolphins' defensive backs get four interceptions in minicamp

Excerpt:

Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill put together another good practice. He was sharp, accurate and did very good work in the red zone. Tannehill even hit two deep balls to receivers Jarvis Landry and Greg Jennings, which has been a weakness. Tannehill is working with a new group of receivers and making solid progress. "I am excited. I feel great about our progress that we made this spring," Tannehill said. "I feel that every day we got better and learned something. I like the guys and players that we have. I am excited for training camp so that we can continue to hone our craft and continue to build our chemistry."

Rotoworld:

Ryan Tannehill - QB - Dolphins

Ryan Tannehill is making quicker reads this offseason.

"He's had a good offseason," coach Joe Philbin said. "We've worked on the chemistry and conceptually we've added things that are slightly different and then reinforced others." Tannehill’s comfort level in the offense has improved in his second year under Bill Lazor. The Dolphins want him to be more efficient in the red-zone, where they ranked in the bottom-third of the league last season. With an upgraded supporting cast, Tannehill should be viewed as a high-floor QB1.

Source: ESPN.com

Jun 20 - 4:33 PM

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald reports Ryan Tannehill has been throwing a better deep ball this offseason.

Per reporter Barry Jackson, Tannehill's teammates have been "effusive" in their praise of his offseason. "Ryan is way better than last year, and more of a leader," were the words of TE Dion Sims. We don't doubt Tannehill's deep ball is looking good in pad-less practices, but it's not going to be a big part of his game in 2015. Mike Wallace has been shipped out, while the Dolphins have done their best to load up on short-to-intermediate targets. Although the long game is not one of Tannehill's specialties, he retains top-eight upside as a fantasy quarterback.

Jun 25 - 9:45 PM

I don't watch many dolphins games but what is the hype on this guy. Nothing about his stats jump out saying he took a big step last year.

I don't watch many dolphins games but what is the hype on this guy. Nothing about his stats jump out saying he took a big step last year.
Funny thing is I'd argue his stats weren't really indicative of his performance. If you didn't watch any games last year, you didn't miss anything. This from a homer and dynasty owner

Funny thing is I'd argue his stats weren't really indicative of his performance. If you didn't watch any games last year, you didn't miss anything. This from a homer and dynasty owner
Homer and owner here too. I'd say he's improved incrementally each of the last three seasons, which is obviously a plus, and last year was his first in a new system that seems to exploit his strengths. Also he's very smart about tucking the ball and running, and he's got some surprising athleticism, which pads the fantasy stats nicely. These things, plus what should be improved targets in the passing game have many expecting another incremental improvement this year, and in most formats he was already a low end QB1 last year.

I'd still like to see some improved game management and decision making from him, and everyone says he can't throw deep, but I'm of the opinion that this last point is a little overblown. Mike Wallace made some horrible plays on the ball the last few years, and his effort was really lacking at times too. Tannehill did fine connecting deep with Hartline and Matthews, though obviously the volume on those guys was low.

I'm not sure what people are expecting here. Last year 11 QBs threw for 4,000 yards and Tanne was one of them. He tied for 12th in TDs thrown and only 3 of the other QBs with four thousand yards threw fewer INTs. He was fifth in QB rushing yards. He is still clearly growing into the position, had a pretty bad OL and a mediocre cast of receivers (certainly no one else who threw for 4,000 had less to work with) and all of those guys except Ryan and Stafford are well over 30. He isn't Andrew Luck, but there are a lot of reasons to be excited about him going forward.

Homer and owner here too. I'd say he's improved incrementally each of the last three seasons, which is obviously a plus, and last year was his first in a new system that seems to exploit his strengths. Also he's very smart about tucking the ball and running, and he's got some surprising athleticism, which pads the fantasy stats nicely. These things, plus what should be improved targets in the passing game have many expecting another incremental improvement this year, and in most formats he was already a low end QB1 last year.I'd still like to see some improved game management and decision making from him, and everyone says he can't throw deep, but I'm of the opinion that this last point is a little overblown. Mike Wallace made some horrible plays on the ball the last few years, and his effort was really lacking at times too. Tannehill did fine connecting deep with Hartline and Matthews, though obviously the volume on those guys was low.
Agreed that Wallace was awful. He flat out gave up on plays, but Tanne has not shown he can connect deep. My main issue is his pocket awareness. Hopefully that improves moving forward. He's a decent QB

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald reports Ryan Tannehill has "improved his touch dramatically" on his deep ball.

It's the second time since June we've heard Tannehill has been throwing a better deep ball in practice. It's positive news, but won't really mean much until Tannehill transfers his supposed improvement to games.

Aug 6 - 2:14 PM

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald reports Ryan Tannehill has "improved his touch dramatically" on his deep ball.

It's the second time since June we've heard Tannehill has been throwing a better deep ball in practice. It's positive news, but won't really mean much until Tannehill transfers his supposed improvement to games.

Aug 6 - 2:14 PM
I want to see it in a game at full speed...not in camp with ideal conditions in a bubble. I love a lot of things about this kid. Great leader in the huddle, respected by his teammates, tireless worker. He has a lot of great qualities. Look I want Tannehill to be the man......but until I see it consistently week after week, he is a second tier QB in the NFL. Fantasy wise he can rise more this season if...

1. Our OL improves dramatically. Our star LT is coming off ACL surgery and our guards are a huge question mark,yet again.

2. His pocket presence and footwork improve as it was piss poor in many games last season as he took way too many sacks. Tannehill looked robotic in the pocket too many times. He has great feet and speed for a QB...use it and use it often. His rookie year was his best in the pocket IMO and it seemed to me the coaching staff neutered him in year 2 and it carried over to year 3. Let him loose.

3. Jordan, Stills and Jennings play well. We already know Landry will be stout. Also keep an eye out for Dion James. He has really developed and may surprise many this year.

This is the year it really has to come together. As a Dolphins fan it better because the team went all in with his extension. Great QB's rise above. Tannehill has zero excuses this season. He has plenty of talent around him, and an OC that has the right system for his strengths to be featured.

Come on Tanny...be the man.

2. His pocket presence and footwork improve as it was piss poor in many games last season as he took way too many sacks. Tannehill looked robotic in the pocket too many times. He has great feet and speed for a QB...use it and use it often. His rookie year was his best in the pocket IMO and it seemed to me the coaching staff nudered him in year 2 and it carried over to year 3. Let him loose.
They made his play naked? No wonder he has no downfield confidence with little Tanny flapping in the breeze.

Dr. Octopus said:
Todem said:
2. His pocket presence and footwork improve as it was piss poor in many games last season as he took way too many sacks. Tannehill looked robotic in the pocket too many times. He has great feet and speed for a QB...use it and use it often. His rookie year was his best in the pocket IMO and it seemed to me the coaching staff nudered him in year 2 and it carried over to year 3. Let him loose.
They made his play naked? No wonder he has no downfield confidence with little Tanny flapping in the breeze.
Lol typo....fixed.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Tannehill finished the Dolphins' Friday night intrasquad scrimmage 11-of-17 passing for 101 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions.

Both TDs went to Jordan Cameron, from 26 and three yards away. Tannehill was also intercepted by slot CB Brice McCain -- who ran in front of a Greg Jennings target -- and LCB Brent Grimes. Camp reports have Tannehill showing improved accuracy and confidence targeting the intermediate and deep sections of the field. The 27-year-old finished last season as the overall QB10 in fantasy.

Aug 8 - 12:37 AM

Slightly overvalued at this point IMHO. I like his receiving targets but they aren't gamebreakers like many other QBs have.

I have several QBs ranked ahead of him that have a higher ADP(FFPC) including:

Brady

Stafford

Rivers

Bradford

Palmer

Slightly overvalued at this point IMHO. I like his receiving targets but they aren't gamebreakers like many other QBs have.

Brady

Stafford

Rivers

Bradford

Palmer
Are you factoring in Tannehill's mobility/rushing capabilities?

Brady

Stafford

Rivers

Bradford

Palmer
Are you factoring in Tannehill's mobility/rushing capabilities?
Yes, but I think that regresses some this year.

I haven't read the thread, so this may have already been covered.

I like Tannehill as a player, but I don't like that he seemingly has been in a situation in flux the entirety of his career. New coaches, new systems, new OL, new receiving corps, new backfield.

This year it seems like he has a lot of new faces all over again. Maybe he can overcome that, but I personally think that all that transition every year has kept his numbers down. It's hard getting a new unit all on the same page from the start of the season.

He might be a good candidate to trade for part way through the fantasy season should he start slowly. Might be had for a discount.

Brady

Stafford

Rivers

Bradford

Palmer
Rivers has been average at best lately. He has flatlined while Tanne is on his way up.

Bradford hasn't played a full season in I dont know how long. So I guess you value the system more than the player. Pass.

Palmer is 40 years old playing with a 40 year old WR1. No thanks.

Brady is still Brady but wil miss a couple of games. Give me the younger guy with more weapons and versatility.

The only guy I would consider taking over Tanne at this point is Stafford. But I have them neck and neck. This list is lame and ridiculous but it's yours so I won't knock it. That's not what the Shark Tank is about.

I haven't read the thread, so this may have already been covered.

I like Tannehill as a player, but I don't like that he seemingly has been in a situation in flux the entirety of his career. New coaches, new systems, new OL, new receiving corps, new backfield.

This year it seems like he has a lot of new faces all over again. Maybe he can overcome that, but I personally think that all that transition every year has kept his numbers down. It's hard getting a new unit all on the same page from the start of the season.

He might be a good candidate to trade for part way through the fantasy season should he start slowly. Might be had for a discount.
2nd year in the current system with the same OC. That's the most important thing.

Brady

Stafford

Rivers

Bradford

Palmer
Rivers has been average at best lately. He has flatlined while Tanne is on his way up.

Bradford hasn't played a full season in I dont know how long. So I guess you value the system more than the player. Pass.

Brady is still Brady but wil miss a couple of games. Give me the younger guy with more weapons and versatility.

The only guy I would consider taking over Tanne at this point is Stafford. But I have them neck and neck. This list is lame and ridiculous but it's yours so I won't knock it.
I think you just knocked it. :whistle:

The only guy I would consider taking over Tanne at this point is Stafford. But I have them neck and neck. This list is lame and ridiculous but it's yours so I won't knock it. That's not what the Shark Tank is about.
Rivers outscored him last year and is a better QB overall

Bradford is an upside play

Palmer is my guy, I have him ranked higher than pretty much everybody so I'm in the minority here

Brady is a PPG play

Palmer is my guy, I have him ranked higher than pretty much everybody so I'm in the minority here

Brady is a PPG play
I would only take Rivers and Brady ahead of him.

Palmer and Bradford? Come on man.

Brady is a PPG play

I have Palmer ranked higher than pretty much everybody.

Bradford is an upside play...so I'd rather have Tanne has my #1 but would rather have Bradford as my #2...if that makes sense.

Brady is a PPG play

Bradford is an upside play...so I'd rather have Tanne has my #1 but would rather have Bradford as my #2...if that makes sense.
Wow.....Palmer. That would be a heck of a call if it comes to fruition.

Brady is a PPG play

For clarification anybody = other FFers, not all other QBs.

I have Palmer ranked12 in my qb rankings...which is the highest I've seen this year.

Brady is a PPG play
Rivers is a hell of a quarterback when he is on. At this EXACT moment, I guess I could see that. But after this seaosn, I think Tanne gets him.

Again, I can't stand behind Bradford until he shows something. He has been all potential up to this point. Can he hold up? We will see.

Brady is Brady but I think Tanne edges him out. He showed flashes of elite production last year.

The way you feel about Palmer is the way most owners feel about Tanne. I own both Stafford and Tanne and will probably be starting Tanne this season despite being high on Stafford. I think he is going to round the corner this year and blow up. Exciting times. Do or die season.

Brady is a PPG play

I have Palmer ranked12 in my qb rankings...which is the highest I've seen this year.
Last year the difference between QB12 and QB17 was essentially 1 fantasy ppg. Basically the difference of a tipped pass in the end zone getting intercepted instead of completed or a QB could have ranked 5 spots higher.

As we have debated in multiple other threads, starting Palmer when other teams have much stronger fantasy starters is not a plus for your squad. In theory, you should have a little more scoring elsewhere. How that all shakes out over the course of a season is hard to predict.

In your scenario, Palmer would have to survive the entire season without getting hurt while still going for 4300/32 to rank that high. He's had one season of 4200 passing yards and one season with 32 TD (10 years ago). IMO, while not impossible, I think it would be improbable to expect that from someone 36 years old that doesn't run pretty much at all.

Brady is a PPG play

Last year the difference between QB12 and QB17 was essentially 1 fantasy ppg. Basically the difference of a tipped pass in the end zone getting intercepted instead of completed or a QB could have ranked 5 spots higher.

As we have debated in multiple other threads, starting Palmer when other teams have much stronger fantasy starters is not a plus for your squad. In theory, you should have a little more scoring elsewhere. How that all shakes out over the course of a season is hard to predict.

In your scenario, Palmer would have to survive the entire season without getting hurt while still going for 4300/32 to rank that high. He's had one season of 4200 passing yards and one season with 32 TD (10 years ago). IMO, while not impossible, I think it would be improbable to expect that from someone 36 years old that doesn't run pretty much at all.
In my scenario, Palmer is always my #2 QB. Just because I have him ranked #12 does not mean I draft him #12...that would be dumb since I can almost always draft him as QB #18 or lower.

Rankings do not equal draft spot.

Brady is a PPG play
Rivers is a hell of a quarterback when he is on. At this EXACT moment, I guess I could see that. But after this seaosn, I think Tanne gets him.

Again, I can't stand behind Bradford until he shows something. He has been all potential up to this point. Can he hold up? We will see.

Brady is Brady but I think Tanne edges him out. He showed flashes of elite production last year.

The way you feel about Palmer is the way most owners feel about Tanne. I own both Stafford and Tanne and will probably be starting Tanne this season despite being high on Stafford. I think he is going to round the corner this year and blow up. Exciting times. Do or die season.
I still don't feel great that Tannehill has to play with: Kenny Stills (new), Greg Jennings (new), Devante Parker (rookie), Jordan Cameron (new), and Jay Ajayi (rookie). We have no idea how this group will perform together.

Using Brady as an example, when he lost Gronkowski, Hernandez, Welker, Lloyd, Woodhead, and Branch, his numbers suffered a lot that season. Again using Brady as an example, he returns most of the same targets as last year and they added Chandler at TE (a clear upgrade to anyone else they had as a second TE). IMO, Brady stands a much greater chance of doing well returning the same core group than Tannehill does returning only Jarvis Landry.

Brady is a PPG play

In my scenario, Palmer is always my #2 QB. Just because I have him ranked #12 does not mean I draft him #12...that would be dumb since I can almost always draft him as QB #18 or lower.

Rankings do not equal draft spot.
I don't care where you draft someone. I care how they perform, especially in a league where you submit an actual lineup. If you draft Palmer and Bradford (which I think you are suggesting), if neither one of them scores at or near the Top consistently you are still losing out on QB scoring. You would effectively have the benefit of one other position in your starting line up (ie, the team that drafted a QB early had to forgo a better RB or WR). The rest of your starters will be the same. You may end up with a better bench (in theory) by waiting on QB, but IMO you are still losing out in your regular starting line up if Palmer doesn't do exceedingly better than expected and does so consistently. Your strategy might work better in a best ball league or contest where you don't have to name a starting QB.

If you draft Palmer and Bradford (which I think you are suggesting),
I am not suggesting this is an optimal strategy. So there is a misunderstanding here.

My QB strategy is to pair Matt Ryan/Matthew Stafford with Palmer and/or Bradford.

Users who are viewing this thread