What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Drew Brees Just Worried About Stats? (1 Viewer)

Kevrunner

Footballguy
The Saints had no chance to win the game and I just couldn't believe that Brees begged to go for it on 4th and 10 with only a few minutes left in the game. The head coach sent in the punt team and Brees sent them back. I don't want to sound like a Brees hater, I really used to root for him and no, he didn't affect any of my fantasy games. He took some hard hits right after that and I was kinda glad, though I don't want anyone to get hurt. I am sure I am going to get ripped by some of you guys, but I don't think this stuff is good for football, it just isn't. If you have no chance to win the game, you punt the ball and the other team just does their best to run the clock out, reduces the chance of meaningless injuries. Good for Brees, he got himself another TD pass, hurray!!!!

The Saints had no chance to win the game and I just couldn't believe that Brees begged to go for it on 4th and 10 with only a few minutes left in the game. The head coach sent in the punt team and Brees sent them back. I don't want to sound like a Brees hater, I really used to root for him and no, he didn't affect any of my fantasy games. He took some hard hits right after that and I was kinda glad, though I don't want anyone to get hurt. I am sure I am going to get ripped by some of you guys, but I don't think this stuff is good for football, it just isn't. If you have no chance to win the game, you punt the ball and the other team just does their best to run the clock out, reduces the chance of meaningless injuries. Good for Brees, he got himself another TD pass, hurray!!!!
As a Saints fan with a long tough history of losing behind us when no one tried at all, it is really appreciated.They go in with goals and they never stop trying. It's admirable.

Also statwhores don't win Super Bowls and they definitely don't win them with 40 years of gris-gris on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brees has proven he can score in about 30 seconds. They should have been going for it 3 previous fourth downs when they punted every time. They were off all night -- thanks largely to very tough coverage from DEN Broncos secondary and LB Woodyard that other teams havent been as capable of.If Brees is in the game he should be going for it -- Period.

Brees has proven he can score in about 30 seconds. They should have been going for it 3 previous fourth downs when they punted every time. They were off all night -- thanks largely to very tough coverage from DEN Broncos secondary and LB Woodyard that other teams havent been as capable of.If Brees is in the game he should be going for it -- Period.
Exactly, this coach should have been going for it down 3 scores with a 4th and 1 even if it was on the Saints own 30. They had to get some first downs and points, punting there was the white flag

I can see putting in some of the 2nd team and getting them some experience, but I just can't see keeping your studs in when there is absolutely no hope in winning. If the coach hadn't sent out the punt team, I wouldn't have really thought too much about it.

No, the Saints only chance (as slim as it was) was to score quick do a bunch of onsides, etc...

Punting is the same as a forfeit in that situation. Brees is right to go for it, and if you aren't going to go for it, then Brees's back up should be in the game.

If the Saints really thought they had a chance to win, which some of you are saying, then please explain to me why Pierre Thomas had 2 rushing carries on that drive before the TD? Do you realize how much time those plays took up? Nobody is calling running plays if they still feel they have a chance to win the game in that situation. It just takes up too much time off the clock.

In the recent past it may have seemed like stat whoring but this year every team (saints especially) would be looking for every point possible trying to scrape into the playoffs.

How far down the list is points for a tie breaker?

this is no different then Brady throwing when Pats are up 30, all qb's want stats
Not Rodgers. He let Flynn play the final game last season when he had a chance at some pretty significant single season records. It was his call. Then he called the offensive plays for Flynn and made his good friend a lot of money with a brilliant game. Just saying.

Did your opponent have Brees?

'UnderDawgs said:
'Kevrunner said:
Did your opponent have Brees?
:goodposting: This.Brees is a football player, he wants to play football. If he can get the Saints to walk off the field with at least a little something to feel better about, its good for his team. Would it be better if he was sulking on the bench like Cam?

I was at a conference once where Tony Dungy spoke about the competitiveness of Manning and the great QB's. He said Peyton Manning wanted every QB record in the books and would stop at nothing to get them all. These guys want to win, but they also want to have the biggest **** as well. Yes, Brees is a stat whore

Fitting that this threa was started on the 10-year anniversary of Herm Edwards explaining why you play (hint: to win the game). Also fitting that the guy on the other sideline once made history for coming back from 21 down with 4 minutes to play.

A thread created to talk about a player worried about stats on a Fantasy Football Forum. Good stuff.

Not to mention the offense just simply wasn't clicking all night. What better time to try and work on getting the offense somewhat back on track, working the hurry-up, etc. There's value to that when doing it in a game situation, even when very far behind as compared to just doing it on the practice field.

Let's also not forget that a lot of the contracts that the players have in professional sports are filled with incentives--bonuses for making the probowl..etc. A lot of these incentives are statistically driven--so this is something to consider. The game was way out of hand-so I have no problem with them trying to jump start some sort of rhythm and trying to pad their stats a bit--it is their livelihood after all.

'biggamer3 said:
'gregjcross said:
'Kevrunner said:
Exactly, this coach should have been going for it down 3 scores with a 4th and 1 even if it was on the Saints own 30. They had to get some first downs and points, punting there was the white flag
This. Crazier things have happened. IMHO they should have one for it at least the time before, if not all of the drives in the ourth

Have people already forgotten about the 2nd round pick they drafted this year?
no he's backing up the other rookie, daryl richardson, who has thoroughly outplayed him and surpassed him on the depth chart. ask Vereen owners how much draft slot matters vs opportunity & production.
I agree that draft position doesn't matter much but a coach is going to give his 2nd round pick a chance. In Vereen's case he simply can't stay healthy while Ridley (only drafted round later) has.One of the biggest negatives on Pead was that he was a poor pass blocker, which is partially due to his size. I think he needs to get stronger and gain about 10 pounds to be more effective. Richardson has been a much better blocker and has done nothing to let Pead pass him, but next year should be very competitive between them.

Check out this run by Pead vs. Oklahoma.
I see nobody is really keeping an open mind to this topic. It is an interesting one. This only becomes an issue if said stat piler gets hurt during the situation. When that happens it becomes a relevant topic. I felt like LaDanian Tomlinson was the king of this. He would be in games piling up yardage and touchdowns while a capable back like Turner was on the bench when the game was clearly out of hand. I felt like he kind of got his comeuppance when he really didn't have anything left in the tank for playoff games later in his career.

This isn't a fantasy problem unless you are playing against a Brees, Brady, Manning, etc. It is a problem when the stats are looked at 10-20 years down the road and people are comparing players and all people are really looking at are boxscores.

You don't want your team to give it their best and do whatever it takes to score no matter what the score is? Guessing the Saints would have much bigger questions to answer to their fan base if the just start giving up when down by a few touchdowns

SOunds like it cost someone their fantasy game.

Seriously...what he did was neither unusual nor wrong. I want to see that fire from my team. KNowing you're going to lose anyway, but fighting hard to get another score or two.

Nothing to see here

'Sarlakticacid said:
In the recent past it may have seemed like stat whoring but this year every team (saints especially) would be looking for every point possible trying to scrape into the playoffs.

How far down the list is points for a tie breaker?
The first time in tiebreakers that points matter is the 7th tiebreak... combined conference ranking in points scored and points allowed. Point differential used to be higher in the order but even then was rarely used. More things were inserted ahead of it in 2002, and since then it hasn't gone past the 5th tiebreak that I'm aware of.

I seriously doubt tiebreaker had anything to do with the decision we're talking about. But for arguments sake lets say it was a big factor in their minds. The tiebreaker includes both points for and points against.

Which means that you need to consider what happens if you fail. Let's say for argument's sake you're 4th and 10 at your own 20. What are the odds that you convert the first and go on to score, versus the odds that you turn it over on downs and your opponent scores on the short field and hurts your tiebreak. You'd need to figure out the net expected points (which is probably against you) and compare that to the net expected points your opponent would score if you punt and he has a longer field. (Of course the odds you score and stage a huge comeback and actually win need to get included too.) The closer to your own goal line you are, the greater the odds that going for it would hurt your tiebreaker.

But again, probably not even a consideration in reality.

Have people already forgotten about the 2nd round pick they drafted this year?
no he's backing up the other rookie, daryl richardson, who has thoroughly outplayed him and surpassed him on the depth chart. ask Vereen owners how much draft slot matters vs opportunity & production.
I agree that draft position doesn't matter much but a coach is going to give his 2nd round pick a chance. In Vereen's case he simply can't stay healthy while Ridley (only drafted round later) has.One of the biggest negatives on Pead was that he was a poor pass blocker, which is partially due to his size. I think he needs to get stronger and gain about 10 pounds to be more effective. Richardson has been a much better blocker and has done nothing to let Pead pass him, but next year should be very competitive between them.

Check out this run by Pead vs. Oklahoma.
I see nobody is really keeping an open mind to this topic. It is an interesting one. This only becomes an issue if said stat piler gets hurt during the situation. When that happens it becomes a relevant topic. I felt like LaDanian Tomlinson was the king of this. He would be in games piling up yardage and touchdowns while a capable back like Turner was on the bench when the game was clearly out of hand. I felt like he kind of got his comeuppance when he really didn't have anything left in the tank for playoff games later in his career.

This isn't a fantasy problem unless you are playing against a Brees, Brady, Manning, etc. It is a problem when the stats are looked at 10-20 years down the road and people are comparing players and all people are really looking at are boxscores.
And not to mention that......wait, what? How did this get in here?

'Kevrunner said:
I just wanted to go out of my way to come back in here and laugh at the OP.This makes me laugh every time I read it, he is not bitter at all.

I know it cost me. The Saints drive continued, and Lance Moore managed to snag one more catch to put my opponent ahead of me. I had McGahee, but of course Denver put the 2nd-stringers in at that point. Whatever.

EDIT: After some stat adjustments, it looks like I would've lost anyways. Carry on.

'Kevrunner said:
I just wanted to go out of my way to come back in here and laugh at the OP.This makes me laugh every time I read it, he is not bitter at all.
It really is funny. Oh yeah, this didn't affect my team in any way. :lmao: "This stuff just isn't good for football." I thought scoring points is what fans wanted.

In the case of being behind, anything goes. What I hate is when Brees and Brady are up 35 pts in the forth quarter and still throwing the ball on majority of downs. Stat F-ING Whores.

In the case of being behind, anything goes. What I hate is when Brees and Brady are up 35 pts in the forth quarter and still throwing the ball on majority of downs. Stat F-ING Whores.
As someone who hasn't missed a Saints game in 5 years, I can't recall Brees ever doing this. Feel free to prove me wrong, but me thinks you're just a hater.

anybody understand why the saints attempted onside with 2:15 to go, yet didn't use any of their 3 timeouts to get the ball back?

A lot of people are dodging the question in here. As far as I'm concerned, Brees most certainly is worried about his personal stats; this is no more evident then when he asked Goodell for Sean Payton to come watch him break an irrelevant individual passing record.

What the Saints should have done was go for it on those fourth down rather than punt. Manning was marching down (from his own 10 yard line no less) the field with ease the whole game. If you punt it to him, he's gonna waste more time and eventually score anyways, so why not just go for it on fourth? Also, they ran the ball too much. Too many times they ran in on first and second down gaining minimal yards and wasting plays. As for the garbage TD, i'm fine with that. It was a pitiful showing of the Saints offense and Brees wanted a chance to "redeem" that garbage offense.

A slight redirection from the OP: the Saints season is pretty much over. Even if they win out they maybe make the wildcard and they will not win out, I don't think they'll even sustain .500 rest of the way with only Raiders, Buccs, and Panthers that look like a win, even that I'm sure is more than questionable. So from a fantasy perspective, wouldn't Brees be a must sell right now unless he is playing for stats? I get that the team wants to win, but they want to win to get in the playoffs. To be playoff irrelevant this early in the season, does that make him less valuable rest of the way?

What the Saints should have done was go for it on those fourth down rather than punt. Manning was marching down (from his own 10 yard line no less) the field with ease the whole game. If you punt it to him, he's gonna waste more time and eventually score anyways, so why not just go for it on fourth? Also, they ran the ball too much. Too many times they ran in on first and second down gaining minimal yards and wasting plays. As for the garbage TD, i'm fine with that. It was a pitiful showing of the Saints offense and Brees wanted a chance to "redeem" that garbage offense.
A lot of questionable run calls by the Saints in that game. Were they thinking they had the element of surprise on their side? :lmao:

I was at a conference once where Tony Dungy spoke about the competitiveness of Manning and the great QB's. He said Peyton Manning wanted every QB record in the books and would stop at nothing to get them all. These guys want to win, but they also want to have the biggest **** as well. Yes, Brees is a stat whore
Years ago in SF, George Seifert would have Steve Young play in garbage time to get the passing title and pad some stats, even in games they didn't need because they had the post season locked up. Young would play a few series to lock it in against a 4 win team. I don't blame teams, coaches or players wanting the stats. But if they are at risk in a late season meaningless game after sewing up the post season, then it can be a problem if they get dinged for stats.

'Kevrunner said:
You don't understand our culture. It's a "never give up" attitude and I'm glad we take that approach. It has won us games where it didn't seem that we had a shot to come back.

I've never seen anything with Brees that would show that he's a "stat whore". Proud of a record that his coaches helped him acheive? Sure. But I've never seen him put any of his stats above his team's success, which is what I would consider a stat-whore.

If there's still time on the clock then I'm sure, as a team leader, that he wants to be out there until the end. Many of you have played sports, I'm sure. If you're competitive and believe in your team, and you start the game - you want to finish it too. Especially if you're losing. You want to end on on a good note. Even if you're down a billion to zero, you still want to walk off the feild with it being a billion to seven. Think of it as a captian wishing to go down with his ship. If Brees' ship is sinking I'm pretty damn sure he's going to go down with it and he'll be trying to score till the final second. Every rep counts in the regular season - now more than ever with the reduced practice times.

'Kevrunner said:
Every team tries to get a TD in in the ending minute. It's real time practice.

'Time Kibitzer said:
A lot of people are dodging the question in here. As far as I'm concerned, Brees most certainly is worried about his personal stats; this is no more evident then when he asked Goodell for Sean Payton to come watch him break an irrelevant individual passing record.
this.

Drew Brees is very concerned with his stats. More so than most of the top qbs. having said that, he wants to win so i don't see a problem.

He gets more annoying every year. He won't win again with the Saints.

I guess he should thank the NFL and peyton for handing him a super bowl.

Two chokers playing against each other, someone had to win.

Users who are viewing this thread