What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Drew Brees Just Worried About Stats? (1 Viewer)

As pointed out by others, Brees definitely is aware of his stats. We've seen what Payton has done to allow Brees to break a record.

That said, I think last night was more about his competitive nature than his stats. And I think most of what we've seen has been about winning and about the Saints D and running game being ineffective.

On a broader note, head coaches should pull the Breeses, Bradys, etc., IMO, when a game is out of hand one way or other. It's an unnecessary risk. Better to lose the battle but win the war.

He gets more annoying every year. He won't win again with the Saints. I guess he should thank the NFL and peyton for handing him a super bowl.Two chokers playing against each other, someone had to win.
Do you even know what you are saying?

In the case of being behind, anything goes. What I hate is when Brees and Brady are up 35 pts in the forth quarter and still throwing the ball on majority of downs. Stat F-ING Whores.
As someone who hasn't missed a Saints game in 5 years, I can't recall Brees ever doing this. Feel free to prove me wrong, but me thinks you're just a hater.
2011 Colts Game:THIRD QUARTER IND NO TD 09:16 Jimmy Graham 4 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (John Kasay Kick) 7 41 TD 01:41 Jimmy Graham 2 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (John Kasay Kick) 7 48 2011 Panthers Game:FOURTH QUARTER CAR NO TD 12:15 Darren Sproles 9 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (John Kasay Kick) 17 45 2011 Falcons GameFOURTH QUARTER ATL NO FG 12:43 Matt Bryant 30 Yd 16 31 TD 11:09 Malcolm Jenkins 30 Yd Fumble Return (John Kasay Kick) 16 38 TD 02:51 Darren Sproles 9 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (John Kasay Kick) 16 45

Is John Skelton a stat whore? Despite getting owned by 49ers and being down three touchdowns he was trying to make plays down to the final second.

The OP is way off. Brees went out there because he is a competitor and competitors don't quit.
Agreed. But in fairness, Brees does this when is up 30. He cares as much about his personal stats as he does about winning. NOt saying this is a bad thing. Just a fact.

The OP is way off. Brees went out there because he is a competitor and competitors don't quit.
Agreed. But in fairness, Brees does this when is up 30. He cares as much about his personal stats as he does about winning. NOt saying this is a bad thing. Just a fact.
Probably need to look up the word "fact". I'll take someone saying "I think he cares about stats as much as winning" (to which I'd disagree), but saying it's a fact is silly.If you told him he could throw for 100yds and no TDs - yet his team would win - I doubt he'd be flipping a coin to determine which to choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably need to look up the word "fact". I'll take someone saying "I think he cares about stats as much as winning" (to which I'd disagree), but saying it's a fact is silly.If you told him he could throw for 100yds and no TDs - yet his team would win - I doubt he'd be flipping a coin to determine which to choose.
here's another fact. i saw him in 4 different commercials last night. he loves to portray the "team image" but this guy is all about number 1.

come on - P. Manning is one of the best QBs of all time and he does lots of commercials. No shame in that.

Brees' job is to score points on offense. It's the coach's call to decide to call off the dogs.

And teams up by 20-30 should keep trying to score. I'd only stop my offense if my opponent does the same.

Is John Skelton a stat whore? Despite getting owned by 49ers and being down three touchdowns he was trying to make plays down to the final second.
Harbaugh is becoming a stat whore by trying to show a lateral was a forward pass, giving Alex Smith one more passing attempt to make 20. Wouldn't have mattered if Smith knew when to throw a ball away instead of taking huge sacks.

Brees' job is to score points on offense. It's the coach's call to decide to call off the dogs.

And teams up by 20-30 should keep trying to score. I'd only stop my offense if my opponent does the same.
The only reason that I started the thread was because the coach sent out the punt team. The score was 34-7, just over 4 minutes left, 4th and 9 on their own 41 yard line. Brees waved them off. I have never seen a team go for it in that situation, the game out of reach, on your own 41 yard line, 4 minutes left. You punt the ball (which the "interim coach" wanted to do), and then you will probably get it back and then try and score your meaningless TD. I have never seen a NFL team go for it in this circumstance, no way to win and too much time left for the other team just to run the clock out. You just punt the ball, that is what you do. But, if the coach had "never sent out the punt team", it really wouldn't have bothered me and this thread never would have been started.

The Saints had no chance to win the game and I just couldn't believe that Brees begged to go for it on 4th and 10 with only a few minutes left in the game. The head coach sent in the punt team and Brees sent them back. I don't want to sound like a Brees hater, I really used to root for him and no, he didn't affect any of my fantasy games. He took some hard hits right after that and I was kinda glad, though I don't want anyone to get hurt. I am sure I am going to get ripped by some of you guys, but I don't think this stuff is good for football, it just isn't. If you have no chance to win the game, you punt the ball and the other team just does their best to run the clock out, reduces the chance of meaningless injuries. Good for Brees, he got himself another TD pass, hurray!!!!
Don't lie.

On another note, Vitt's decisions were just brutal that night. If you're going to go for it on 4th and 2 at the Denver 47 with 12:39 left in the 2nd quarter and the score tied 7-7, why in the hell would you punt it on 4th and 1 down 31-7 with 14:07 left in the 4th? Terrible clock management to go along with terrible play calling.

Probably need to look up the word "choose".

In the case of being behind, anything goes. What I hate is when Brees and Brady are up 35 pts in the forth quarter and still throwing the ball on majority of downs. Stat F-ING Whores.
As someone who hasn't missed a Saints game in 5 years, I can't recall Brees ever doing this. Feel free to prove me wrong, but me thinks you're just a hater.
2011 Colts Game:THIRD QUARTER IND NO TD 09:16 Jimmy Graham 4 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (John Kasay Kick) 7 41 TD 01:41 Jimmy Graham 2 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (John Kasay Kick) 7 48 2011 Panthers Game:FOURTH QUARTER CAR NO TD 12:15 Darren Sproles 9 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (John Kasay Kick) 17 45 2011 Falcons GameFOURTH QUARTER ATL NO FG 12:43 Matt Bryant 30 Yd 16 31 TD 11:09 Malcolm Jenkins 30 Yd Fumble Return (John Kasay Kick) 16 38 TD 02:51 Darren Sproles 9 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (John Kasay Kick) 16 45
This is no different than Rodgers or Brady throwing short passes to keep the chains moving and eat the clock. Some teams have a Peterson/Lynch/Foster type to do that. The rest don't have those RBs, so they need that pass to sustain the drive. If the defense isn't stopping them, you expect them to drive the whole field then kneel on it and turn it over? You're griping about Brees throwing a 9 yd TD to Sproles late in a game, but Rodgers throwing his 5th late in a 42-14 game is different how?

Not sure how this fits in but in high school, i played on some decent teams and some really bad teams. Even when getting blown out Some of us would still give everything we had. It wasnt about padding stats, it was about personal pride and competitiveness. You want every last second to count and know you gave everything you had even if "it didnt matter". After games opponents appreciated the "not quitting".

I would like to think being a professional athlete that the drive they have is astronomical to my example.

I just think to get to that level many dont know how to give up with time left on the clock

:shrug:

On a broader note, head coaches should pull the Breeses, Bradys, etc., IMO, when a game is out of hand one way or other. It's an unnecessary risk. Better to lose the battle but win the war.
Should they sit out the rest of the year when they can't make the playoffs anymore also?

'SonnyD said:
On another note, Vitt's decisions were just brutal that night. If you're going to go for it on 4th and 2 at the Denver 47 with 12:39 left in the 2nd quarter and the score tied 7-7, why in the hell would you punt it on 4th and 1 down 31-7 with 14:07 left in the 4th? Terrible clock management to go along with terrible play calling.
Even worse, when the Saints scored that late TD, the obvious decision is to go for 2 to get within 19 instead of 20). Since they kicked an onside kick, that meant they were still trying to win, so going for 2 made more sense there, since getting within 19 meant you could tie it up with two TDs, two 2-point conversions and a FG (as opposed to needing to score three TDs). Having said that, I am sure Brees loves putting up big stats, but find me a great QB who doesn't.

Can't believe this ridiculous thread is two pages now.

Has the OP ever played competitive sports?

Garbage time fantasy points... nothing wrong with that. And I was on the losing end this week solely BECAUSE of that Jimmy Graham TD. :rant: I blame the missed ankle tackle on Darren Sproles on the 4th & 8 play more so than Brees wanting to pad his stats. Maybe he's got incentive bonus' in his contract for TD passes (for all I know).

Without garbage time points... Dwayne Bowe (for example) doesn't even exist in fantasy football.

We should be praising Brees for racking up fantasy stats. Maybe he had himself in his fantasy league and didn't want to take the negative rushing yards for kneel-downs.

I despise this guy so much, not sure why. Maybe it was due to his $100 MM contract demand.
Are you a fan of Calvin Johnson? If so, was he worth his contract demands?
Johnson didn't hold out or even threaten to hold out. The Lions happily gave him a large contract extension.
Don't get me wrong, I love Calvin. At least Brees earned his contract. Benson was being a stubborn idiot. Brees has done more for that franchise than anyone.

Can't believe this ridiculous thread is two pages now.Has the OP ever played competitive sports?
Might get to 3 pages if people keep posting in this thread. But since you asked me a question. I played all the major sports in high school, no college though. I guess you were wondering if I know what it is to be "competitive". Of course I do. When I played, we respected our coaches and for some reason, Brees just got under my skin when he waved the punt team off the field. If it was around 2:00 left in the clock, I could have easily understood going for it on 4th down in that situation. If the Saints didn't get a 1st down, then the Broncos whould have just went into victory formation and the clock would have run out. But with 4:00 left in the clock, on your own 40 yard line, you just don't go for it there and that is why the coach sent out the punt team, the coach knew they had absolutely no chance in winning the game. But, I guess the coach didn't have the balls to say no to Brees. Anyway, hopefully this thread will die on this post if we are lucky.

Probably need to look up the word "choose".
Sure, why not. Since I'm assuming it's you that's confused here (I'm not, as far as I can tell) I'll fill in the definition for you. Here goes:"I doubt he'd flip a coin to determine which to pick out or select.

Does that help? If not, I'm missing your point here. My point was, in my opinion, that Brees would take a sure win over big stats & a loss.

Users who are viewing this thread