What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Nick Foles era (4 Viewers)

Jed

Footballguy
Looks like Foles may be starting week 9. Anyone have any insight on him? I could use an option to play for Romo with the weapons he will have.

Michael Vick - QB - EaglesAccording to local radio personality Howard Eskin, the Eagles are "likely" to start rookie Nick Foles against the Saints in Week 9.Eskin is among the most plugged-in media members in Philadelphia when it comes to the Eagles and has a history of breaking big stories. He's been told Michael Vick made two bad audible mistakes in Sunday's loss to the Falcons and coach Andy Reid is leaning toward the switch because Vick is not getting any better. The coaching staff is reportedly meeting Monday to discuss the situation further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reid has waited long enough to pull the trigger. He was probably hoping Vick would eliminate himself via injury.

:lmao: Nice scapegoat Reid. Reid and the defense are the problem, not Vick.
Vick is definitely part of the problem.
You don't get it....this is what it is to be a Philly fan. See, what you do is, you clamor for a change to be made and when it's made you immediately change where you once were and then say that's not the problem and then you clamor for another change. Then rinse and repeat. Some people only know how to blindly hate, it's what drives them.

he probably will not get a spy like mike vick did probably get sometimes which might make it a little harder on mccoy and whichever wr they want to put an extra guy on or bracket now but foles of good passes i just made up the nickname feel free to use it brohans just cant be any worse as a passer than vick so who knows maybe if he is accurate and they have to drop some guys back into coverage that you maybe did not have to with vick because he just threw the ball all over the place and sometimes right to a good d player even when a guy was wide open that could take men out of the box basically i do not know which way it will go which is frustrating

he probably will not get a spy like mike vick did probably get sometimes which might make it a little harder on mccoy and whichever wr they want to put an extra guy on or bracket now but foles of good passes i just made up the nickname feel free to use it brohans just cant be any worse as a passer than vick so who knows maybe if he is accurate and they have to drop some guys back into coverage that you maybe did not have to with vick because he just threw the ball all over the place and sometimes right to a good d player even when a guy was wide open that could take men out of the box basically i do not know which way it will go which is frustrating
Actually the more likely scenario is that we'll see an Eagles offense similar to the times when a backup has come in before. Garcia came in and they ran westbrook to a division title. Same with Aj Feely. When backups come in, Andy falls back to running the ball for some bizarre reason. Expect McCoy to get about 25 touches next Monday.

LOL @ people thinking Vick is the entire problem here. There are QBs doing alot worse then he ( which actually has been pretty good the past few games ). Problem is Reid, always has, always will be. Benching him isn't magically going to make the offensive line start blocking, it isn't going to make the defense shut out teams, shady isn't going to start putting up 150 total yard games...about the only thing that has a good chance of happening is play calling being more run favored. They have a history for doing that when back up QBs have to start a few games. They been down this road before with using a QB as a scapegoat & benching him....and it didn't end well.

Foles already has a nickname from his ASU days. It is "Sunshine"
Well I am dubbing him Preseason Prince Foles from now on.

Also, this move just screams desperation for andy. Andy never makes changes lightly. So for him to fire his long time friend to buy him some time in the bye week and then jump to the backup QB the next week, he's really scrapping the bottom of the barrel to throw the hounds of his scent. It's pretty much over though. Even with Foles in as an excuse, they still have to make it deep in the playoffs to save his job and I don't see that happening. It's the end of the Reid Era.

Also, this move just screams desperation for andy. Andy never makes changes lightly. So for him to fire his long time friend to buy him some time in the bye week and then jump to the backup QB the next week, he's really scrapping the bottom of the barrel to throw the hounds of his scent. It's pretty much over though. Even with Foles in as an excuse, they still have to make it deep in the playoffs to save his job and I don't see that happening. It's the end of the Reid Era.
IMHO he has gone off the deep end. He should have excused himself from coaching duties when his son ODed & was found with vials of roids at preseason camp. Benching Vick when he isn;t really the problem is just pointless. Its not going "to save the season". If Lurie had any balls he would fire Reid this week cause going with a rookie with preseason experience is basically saying "season over"

i do not know i mean kolb was the starter and got benched for vick but when he came in when vick was out against the falcons that year he kicked butt and had a bunch of yards and tds so they let the backup chuck it around that time who knows i think that you can not know what will happen until you have a game or two under your belt i personally hope that the blitz him a lot like you see a lot of coordinators do to rooks and he beats them over the top of the blitz with screens that go for long tds becuase i think that this foles of good passes kid is a good kid and deserves a shot so there you have it and take it to the bank

I still think Philly lacks a Big Body WR. DJax and Maclin are both nice options but we don't have that big WR that can keep secondaries honest.

Gotta think they give Vick one more shot at 3-4, I can see going to the rookie at 3-5 and calling it a year, but getting to 4-4 this week could turn things around quickly and they still have 5 Division games coming up. The problem is the Giants are starting to run away with the division.

IMHO he has gone off the deep end. He should have excused himself from coaching duties when his son ODed & was found with vials of roids at preseason camp. Benching Vick when he isn;t really the problem is just pointless. Its not going "to save the season". If Lurie had any balls he would fire Reid this week cause going with a rookie with preseason experience is basically saying "season over"
Lurie is too old fashioned. He will never fire him during the season. He's going to talk to him after the year and give him one of those "lets go our separate ways" speeches. Then Andy will have a press conference and "resign" from the Eagles. That's how Lurie does things.

They've played a lot of tough defenses. It'd be a shame to bench him now because the schedule is about to get a lot easier starting with horrid New Orleans this week.

Vick is a HUGE part of the problem. He should have been benched before the bye and they should have kept Castillo. This was the only game that Vick didn't hand the game to the opponent with his turnovers. But it happened to also be the Birds worse defensive performance of the year, which was liekly due to the coaching change on defense.You're right that Reid has to go. He's been bad and the players no longer respond to him. They need a change. But Vick isn't taking them anywhere. He's a tuenover mavhine that isn't capable of reading defenses or making changes at the line of scrimmage. His athleticism always made up for his lack of intelligence. Byt now he's not quite as athletic and his mental shortcomings are glaring.

LOL @ people thinking Vick is the entire problem here.
I don't see any post in this thread that has said Vick is the entire problem.
Every where you look, be it on forums, blogs, newspapers, tv..that is the overall consensus. You are seeing stories on ESPN and NFL network labeled " Vick to the bench?'" ...or " Bench Vick?" ...I just made a thread earlier....there QBs in the league doing far worse & not getting the same treatment Vick has been getting. Take Romo for example, the recap of last nights game seemed to blame everyone BUT Romo. Where as with Vick it comes off as blame no one BUT Vick. You got an extremely overrated head coach Reid, a horrible OC in Marty, play calling that seems dyslexic, offensive line with a system that the players can't run, zero depth...a defense that is limited due to the defensive line coach's wide 9 philosophy, CBs that are put on an island because of probably the worst safety tandem in the league & poor drafting the past few years that seemingly set this team back alot. So bench Vick for a QB that was mid round talent at best, projected to be a project type player. Who had an above average PRESEASON. This will def save the season. Oh btw, all of this after the owner said another 8-8 type season won't cut it.

I still think Philly lacks a Big Body WR. DJax and Maclin are both nice options but we don't have that big WR that can keep secondaries honest. Gotta think they give Vick one more shot at 3-4, I can see going to the rookie at 3-5 and calling it a year, but getting to 4-4 this week could turn things around quickly and they still have 5 Division games coming up. The problem is the Giants are starting to run away with the division.
I agree completely. I can't believe they would even consider starting Foles this week. They are not dead yet...not even close. Just look at how the Giants' season changed last year. They have 5 division games left. Their remaining schedule has what looks like a lot of winnable games on it to me:mad: New Orleansvs. Dallas@ Washingtonvs. Carolina@ Dallas@ Tampa Bayvs. Cincinattivs. Washington@ GiantsThink of it in terms of the Vegas line. With Vick, they will be the favorite for most, if not all, of their next 8 games (and the underdog in Week 17 on the road in New York). With Foles, they will immediately be underdogs in at least 4 of those next 8. That doesn't sound like the way to save a season to me.

I can see them going 1-3 in their next 4. Maybe 2-2 with wins vs Dallas & possible Carolina. Hell with that schedule, I can see them with a 6 win season

I don't see any posts in this thread that has said Vick is the entire problem.
Every where you look, be it on forums, blogs, newspapers, tv..that is the overall consensus. You are seeing stories on ESPN and NFL network labeled " Vick to the bench?'" ...or " Bench Vick?" ...I just made a thread earlier....there QBs in the league doing far worse & not getting the same treatment Vick has been getting.
I'm a Panthers fan, and I'd say Cam has gotten some pretty harsh treatment in the past few weeks from just about every media outlet out there including this site.

Every where you look, be it on forums, blogs, newspapers, tv..that is the overall consensus. You are seeing stories on ESPN and NFL network labeled " Vick to the bench?'" ...or " Bench Vick?" ...I just made a thread earlier....there QBs in the league doing far worse & not getting the same treatment Vick has been getting.
I'm a Panthers fan, and I'd say Cam has gotten some pretty harsh treatment in the past few weeks from just about every media outlet out there including this site.
Lots of people clamoring for Derek Anderson down there then?

Are you disagreeing that Cam has been treated harsh lately?

LOL @ people thinking Vick is the entire problem here. There are QBs doing alot worse then he ( which actually has been pretty good the past few games ). Problem is Reid, always has, always will be. Benching him isn't magically going to make the offensive line start blocking, it isn't going to make the defense shut out teams, shady isn't going to start putting up 150 total yard games...about the only thing that has a good chance of happening is play calling being more run favored. They have a history for doing that when back up QBs have to start a few games. They been down this road before with using a QB as a scapegoat & benching him....and it didn't end well.

well, teams defend vick the way they were before he went to jail.They Keep him in the pocket and force him to throw the ball. Eventually this day had to come. Vick is hitting that age where he cant run the ball with reckless abandon because he's starting to get hurt. His accuracy was never one of the stronger points of his game(I acknowledge it is a lot better since he has been to Philly)The only way for him to get better is to get back to working on his fundamentals and to make his correct reads. I dont know how bad he's been on reading the field. I have found in years past he has relied on his super strong arm to sing throws in there where maybe he shouldnt, and he has got away with it because the throw had lots of zip on it and the CB's are more likely to tip the ball than to catch it.I havnt seen a ton of Vick this year, but from what I have seen, age is starting to catch up with him a bit so he has to play smarter. Can he do this? I dont know.

^..problem is Reid trying to force him into being a pocket passer. Its the same thing he did with McNabb. His legs were a great weapon because he kept defenses honest. Now when they don't gameplan with that in mind anymore, they have him chuck the ball up 30+ times...that is something Vick wasnt and honestly, you don't need to do that when you have a RB like McCoy..its not like he is some slouch back there.  Having a bad offensive line is just making this even worse. <br><br>McCoy had 8 rushing plays in the 1st half...most of them at the start of the 2nd quarter on a TD drive in which the game was close...he ended with 16 with 7 of them being in garbage time in the 4th...who the hell runs the ball that much in the 4th quarter when you are down? He just ran out the clock for the Falcons basically lol.

I think you are misunderstanding criticism of a #1 pick that is acting childish to the media as being harsh. I think it's entirely justified.

I can tell you how it will start out.

The Eagles will go with their more run balanced game plan like that had for a game this season..then slowly creep away from it until you see Foles tossing the ball 30 35 40+ times and mccoy back to 10-15 touches

I think you are misunderstanding criticism of a #1 pick that is acting childish to the media as being harsh. I think it's entirely justified.
Take the time to read some of the posts on this site about Cam Newton. She isn't misunderstanding anything.

I can tell you how it will start out. The Eagles will go with their more run balanced game plan like that had for a game this season..then slowly creep away from it until you see Foles tossing the ball 30 35 40+ times and mccoy back to 10-15 touches
Idk. I see a Garcia or Feeley type of run. McCoy gets 25 carries a game. Foles throws dink and dunk with the occasional long shot down the field that is actually effective with play action because of Shady running. We win maybe 4 or 5 games. Worst case scenario, Andy sells Lurie on giving him another year to get Foles a full offseason as the starter so he can really "learn" the offense. Then next year Foles is tossing the ball 50 times a game to a 6-10 season.

I can tell you how it will start out.

The Eagles will go with their more run balanced game plan like that had for a game this season..then slowly creep away from it until you see Foles tossing the ball 30 35 40+ times and mccoy back to 10-15 touches
Idk. I see a Garcia or Feeley type of run. McCoy gets 25 carries a game. Foles throws dink and dunk with the occasional long shot down the field that is actually effective with play action because of Shady running. We win maybe 4 or 5 games. Worst case scenario, Andy sells Lurie on giving him another year to get Foles a full offseason as the starter so he can really "learn" the offense. Then next year Foles is tossing the ball 50 times a game to a 6-10 season.
I mean worst case scenario is that Reid is here at all. New report saying that Reid is saying Vick will start week 9. It makes sense Vick gets 9 and 10, if they lose both, Foles gets to go from there.

LOL @ people thinking Vick is the entire problem here. There are QBs doing alot worse then he ( which actually has been pretty good the past few games ). Problem is Reid, always has, always will be. Benching him isn't magically going to make the offensive line start blocking, it isn't going to make the defense shut out teams, shady isn't going to start putting up 150 total yard games...about the only thing that has a good chance of happening is play calling being more run favored. They have a history for doing that when back up QBs have to start a few games.

They been down this road before with using a QB as a scapegoat & benching him....and it didn't end well.

Do you even know your Eagles history? Reid benched McNabb in 2008 for a half against Baltimore and the Eagles ended up making the playoffs and going to the NFC Championship game (which they almost won)It was not quite a benching, but Reid went with Vick for the majority of the Season in 2010 when Kolb started as the starter and got hurt. Eagles made the playoffs that year.

When was the benching that didn't end well?

I don't care if you don't like Reid, just make valid points to support your opinion. There are plenty of them out there.

Because he is a sucky QB...great runner but a sucky QB.

Vick and Reid should be ashamed for tarnishing the winning tradition of the philadelphia eagles.

This can not stand. Not for the mighty Eagles and their beloved fan base.

LOL @ people thinking Vick is the entire problem here. There are QBs doing alot worse then he ( which actually has been pretty good the past few games ). Problem is Reid, always has, always will be. Benching him isn't magically going to make the offensive line start blocking, it isn't going to make the defense shut out teams, shady isn't going to start putting up 150 total yard games...about the only thing that has a good chance of happening is play calling being more run favored. They have a history for doing that when back up QBs have to start a few games.

They been down this road before with using a QB as a scapegoat & benching him....and it didn't end well.

Do you even know your Eagles history? Reid benched McNabb in 2008 for a half against Baltimore and the Eagles ended up making the playoffs and going to the NFC Championship game (which they almost won)It was not quite a benching, but Reid went with Vick for the majority of the Season in 2010 when Kolb started as the starter and got hurt. Eagles made the playoffs that year.

I don't care if you don't like Reid, just make valid points to support your opinion. There are plenty of them out there.
Well can we consider this still a benching? Is this perhaps the quickest benching in NFL history?

Well can we consider this still a benching? Is this perhaps the quickest benching in NFL history?
Sure this is a benching. I was challenging his assertion that Reid's benching of QB's in the past didn't work out well. There's no proof of that.I do not think that the Eagles will make the playoffs with Foles. However, I don't think the Eagles will make the playoffs with Vick. That means that Reid will be gone at the end of the season and there is a 99.9% chance that the new coach will not want Vick as his QB. Therefore, for the Eagles franchise, I think it benefits them to play Foles to give him experience and to see what he's got as a QB. Based on that, a new coach can say, you know what, I like that Foles kid, let's go with him and use our draft resources elsewhere, or he can say, that Foles kid didn't show much, let's use the draft to get a good young QB.

How quickly the Eagles get back in position to go to a super bowl depends primarily on two things: Who they pick as their new head coach and who they pick to be the future starting QB. Right now they can't do anything about the coach, but they can start to evaluate whether the future QB is potentially on their team right now.

Sure this is a benching. I was challenging his assertion that Reid's benching of QB's in the past didn't work out well. There's no proof of that.I do not think that the Eagles will make the playoffs with Foles. However, I don't think the Eagles will make the playoffs with Vick. That means that Reid will be gone at the end of the season and there is a 99.9% chance that the new coach will not want Vick as his QB. Therefore, for the Eagles franchise, I think it benefits them to play Foles to give him experience and to see what he's got as a QB. Based on that, a new coach can say, you know what, I like that Foles kid, let's go with him and use our draft resources elsewhere, or he can say, that Foles kid didn't show much, let's use the draft to get a good young QB.

How quickly the Eagles get back in position to go to a super bowl depends primarily on two things: Who they pick as their new head coach and who they pick to be the future starting QB. Right now they can't do anything about the coach, but they can start to evaluate whether the future QB is potentially on their team right now.
I was more referring to the story coming out that a source said Vick was benched but Reid said Vick is the starter. It's all twitter rumors but it appears he isn't benched just yet.

I was more referring to the story coming out that a source said Vick was benched but Reid said Vick is the starter. It's all twitter rumors but it appears he isn't benched just yet.
Aahhhh. My apologies.

Vick: 31 Turnovers in 20 games. 10-10 overall.

What happened to 2010 Vick? That guy was amazing.

How about some Nick Foles discussion in this Nick Foles thread? Michael Fabiano says it is done. http://buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=16913047&cid=35&source=feed&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Well I don't know who Fabiano is but never heard of him in regards to the Iggles. Eskin is a moron who often is wrong with any/all speculation that doesn't include the Flyers so I don't take him for his word. CSNPhilly is reporting the status quo at QB so until they report something, Vick is the starter as far as I'm concerned.

I watched Foles all through his college career. The very first time I saw him throw, I said, "That kid is going to the NFL." He was in a pro style offense in college. You can't be much better prepared for the NFL. I said a month ago in an article I write for the PFFL, that if you owned Vick you should pick up Foles.

'SWC said:
Not sure how much you have been watching but they usually blitz 6 or 7 on Vick he pump fakes a d either scrambles or ducks. Rarely gets ball out in time. The days of DC's being scarred of him have been gone. There is a book on how to stop him with ease- make hike read blitz and he craps his pants

Users who are viewing this thread