What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Nick Foles era (5 Viewers)

I think you're over thinking this. Vick is hurt so kelly has no decision to make. When asked after the Tampa game if Vick starts when he comes back he basically said "we'll see when it happens." He hasn't said yes Vick is the starter so that leads us to believe that he'll see when Vick is healthy.
Yeah its more about what Kelly didn't say when asked a simple question. He could have ended all speculation and just say Vick's his starter. The fact that he back-tracked from his comments after the Giants game indicates he was impressed by Foles' performance. It's certainly not a slam-dunk Vick is back under center when he's healthy.

ShaHBucks said:
If Foles loses to Dal what would you guys think of him? This is probably the only reason I've been grabing Vick on discount in my dynasty leagues.
Depends. Offense could put up 450 yards of offense and 35 points, and the pathetic Eagles defense allow 42 points. IE: Foles could play great and the team lose because of the defense.
Lets say he plays like he did in his start vs Dal last season, or a little worse, and Shady + D/St account for 20-24 points? Just a avg-good game where the Eagles have a chance to win late in the 4th but don't pull it out. This scenario would send me off of a cliff. Piggybacking off a comment that I made erlier, I just read Terrell Pryor is the future lol. Foles can't even afford a game like Luck did on MNF. Everyone will call for Vick. No one will say "He's a young QB with a lot of potential. The Eagles should move on with Foles. He's a QB1 vs the Giants this week if afforded the start." The headlines will read "Foles had a chance to secure the job but he didn't impress like he did vs the Giants and Bucs who sport a combined 0-11 record on the season. When Mike Vick is healthy he will be the starting QB."

Not knowing if Foles is the QB to build around by 2014 can be the biggest mistake of the season for the Eagles.
I agree with the last part but you can't fault Kelly for putting the guy who gives him the best chance to win out there. It's one thing when us fans watch a game and say a guy stinks but he watches the tape and knows the players. If he chooses Vick, that's his declaration he's going as far as he can this year and Vick is his best chance in his mind right or wrong.

So you think it's not really based on health at all.
Vick's hurt right now. When he's healthy, the OC and the HC will discuss who to start at QB. Is that confusing?
It contradicts what Kelly has said.
No. It doesn't.
Did Kelly not say that the QB situation depended on health?For that statement to be true, then the only logical conclusion one can reach is that if he's 100%, Vick will start.

Maybe this will make more sense. If Vick is 100% on Sunday, but does not start, then we will know with certainty that the decision was NOT driven by the health of the two guys, but by some other consideration(s).
I think you're over thinking this. Vick is hurt so kelly has no decision to make. When asked after the Tampa game if Vick starts when he comes back he basically said "we'll see when it happens." He hasn't said yes Vick is the starter so that leads us to believe that he'll see when Vick is healthy.
I believe Kelly said that practice reps will be determined by health. I don't think he said that specifically about who starts next game. With that being said, Vick was originally supposed to miss 2-3 weeks, so I highly doubt he plays this week.

Fair enough. Personally, I think some folks are discounting the possibility that Kelly really, really would rather go with Vick a bit too much. The run threat may just be that important in his eyes.

I don't own Vick, and have Foles in as my #1 waiver priority, FWIW.

Fair enough. Personally, I think some folks are discounting the possibility that Kelly really, really would rather go with Vick a bit too much. The run threat may just be that important in his eyes.

While I do think Kelly prefers that element in his QBs, I also think he's a practical coach. I think he can see something in Foles and would like to see if there is more there while he pretty much knows what he has in Vick at this point. There's limitations to his game. Before he got hurt in the Giants game, Vick did not complete a single pass in the first quarter and went 6/14 for 105 yards for the game. Yes he had the rushing yards but passing has to be part of the equation and Foles is definitely a better passer than Vick.

It's what got him here, so you can't blame the guy. With Vick's passing limitations inside the 20s he'll learn 3 < 7 eventually.

Foles having a bad game here and there doesn't mean he's not the starter for the future either.. 18 for 30, 202 yds, 0 TD's, 1 INT. That's Luck's numbers this week against San Diego. Bad games happen for young QB's (and old QB's too). There should not be so much pressure on one game to decide if a QB with less then a half season of starts is the future...

Foles having a bad game here and there doesn't mean he's not the starter for the future either.. 18 for 30, 202 yds, 0 TD's, 1 INT. That's Luck's numbers this week against San Diego. Bad games happen for young QB's (and old QB's too). There should not be so much pressure on one game to decide if a QB with less then a half season of starts is the future...
Difference is Luck has the full support of the entire franchise behind him and no capable veteran as an alternate. Foles is in because the veteran starter got hurt. He has to play well at least once more to get another start and then play well again to possibly cement the job.

I'm no Nick Foles fan.

I'm probably Chip Kelly's biggest fan.

I have thought Vick was a poor fit for this offense from the day he inked.

I think a great time to sell Foles will be immediately after the Eagles season ends. The QB in Chip Kelly's offense will put up top 10 numbers, but I think the quarterback of Chip Kelly's offense in 2014 is currently playing in college.

I'm no Nick Foles fan.

I think a great time to sell Foles will be immediately after the Eagles season ends. The QB in Chip Kelly's offense will put up top 10 numbers, but I think the quarterback of Chip Kelly's offense in 2014 is currently playing in college.
And he just may be a freshman or sophmore in college who we wont draft until 2015, 2016 or 2017.

IF Foles can prove to be above average than that very well could delay us drafting a QB in the next 2-4 years. Also the more we win the less likely we'll be in position to pick on of these "franchise QB's"...

Speaking of the "franchise QB's" (using quotes because who the hell knows what they'll be) but when is the last time there was [SIZE=10.5pt]allegedly [/SIZE]so many in one NFL draft?

I'm no Nick Foles fan.

And he just may be a freshman or sophmore in college who we wont draft until 2015, 2016 or 2017.

IF Foles can prove to be above average than that very well could delay us drafting a QB in the next 2-4 years. Also the more we win the less likely we'll be in position to pick on of these "franchise QB's"...

Speaking of the "franchise QB's" (using quotes because who the hell knows what they'll be) but when is the last time there was [SIZE=10.5pt]allegedly [/SIZE]so many in one NFL draft?
I can't think of one, it may even cause some to return to school for 2014.

I don't think Chip will be content with above average, if he sees an opportunity to get a better QB he'll do it. In that case, Foles would serve as some very nice trade bait I'm sure.

I'm really not sure how you can draw that conclusion, at least not from looking at his college QB. Darron Thomas, wasn't the most mobile QB. He posted a 4.8sec 40 yard dash which is essentially, Peyton Manning levels of speed. By comparison Nick Foles posted a 5.14 40 yard dash. Obviously insanely slow and slower than Thomas. My point really being that Thomas wasn't some lightning fast QB. He was smart and understood Kelly's offense and was able to make all the proper reads and progressions in the offense. That is A LOT more important to Kelly's style of offense than Vick's legs. Kelly's offense is at it's most potent when operated by someone who understands the entirety of the scheme. Someone who can read the defense, assign proper blocking, make the proper audibles and keep the offense moving at a good speed without having to think to much when they get to the line. Those are things that Vick fails at in every facet of actual game play and Foles excels at in every facet. Foles is accurate and smart. The offense on Sunday looked more crisp than it has all season under Vick and against the best defense the Eagles have faced. If Foles comes out and does this again this week? He's the starter until he gets hurt, at least in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no Nick Foles fan.

Speaking of the "franchise QB's" (using quotes because who the hell knows what they'll be) but when is the last time there was allegedly so many in one NFL draft?
I can't think of one, it may even cause some to return to school for 2014.I don't think Chip will be content with above average, if he sees an opportunity to get a better QB he'll do it. In that case, Foles would serve as some very nice trade bait I'm sure.
Lets not mention the heralded "QB of the future," who is currently cramming for mid-terms, has to beat Foles in a head-to-head competition. Good luck with that.

I'll avoid the overall argument here, but I do think that if you watch the longer TD to DJax you see Foles wait and wait and then make a pump at about the same point in the play where Vick would have tucked it and taken off.

He knew that if he held the ball and froze the defenders Jackson might uncover. That's a pretty valuable thing and it's possible Kelly will weigh it more heavily than he does Vick's rushing threat.

It blows my mind that most of you think a capable 24 yo QB, who has already shown flashes of brilliance dating back to last season, will be traded while he's on a 3rd rookie contract. IIRC Kolb was making a average starting QBs salary at the time he was traded. Something to the tune of 12m per. These are two completely different scenarios. Names and biases aside, what sense does trading Foles make from a business standpoint? A team like WAS probably wouldn't even move Cousins if they aren't blown away by the price. The eagles will be in the market for a QB next offseason with Vick gone. Unless someone falls, like they felt Kolb did in the 2nd or Barkley this year, it's business as usual.

I'm no Nick Foles fan.

Speaking of the "franchise QB's" (using quotes because who the hell knows what they'll be) but when is the last time there was allegedly so many in one NFL draft?
I can't think of one, it may even cause some to return to school for 2014.I don't think Chip will be content with above average, if he sees an opportunity to get a better QB he'll do it. In that case, Foles would serve as some very nice trade bait I'm sure.
Lets not mention the heralded "QB of the future," who is currently cramming for mid-terms, has to beat Foles in a head-to-head competition. Good luck with that.
Who says Foles is still on the team?

It blows my mind that most of you think a capable 24 yo QB, who has already shown flashes of brilliance dating back to last season, will be traded while he's on a 3rd rookie contract. IIRC Kolb was making a average starting QBs salary at the time he was traded. Something to the tune of 12m per. These are two completely different scenarios. Names and biases aside, what sense does trading Foles make from a business standpoint? A team like WAS probably wouldn't even move Cousins if they aren't blown away by the price. The eagles will be in the market for a QB next offseason with Vick gone. Unless someone falls, like they felt Kolb did in the 2nd or Barkley this year, it's business as usual.
Flashes of brilliance?

Tap the breaks.

I'm no Nick Foles fan.

I don't think Chip will be content with above average, if he sees an opportunity to get a better QB he'll do it. In that case, Foles would serve as some very nice trade bait I'm sure.
See....I don't think this is true. If the draft is so full of "franchise QBs", why would anyone trade a decent pick for a guy his own team is trying to trade away to get one of those franchise QB's??? IE: A deep QB draft will depress the value of FA QBs

I'm no Nick Foles fan.

See....I don't think this is true. If the draft is so full of "franchise QBs", why would anyone trade a decent pick for a guy his own team is trying to trade away to get one of those franchise QB's??? IE: A deep QB draft will depress the value of FA QBs
All it takes is one, Foles will be 'proven' in the NFL whereas the rest are just projections. Regardless of what happens I don't think they can get a 1 for him, but a 2? Sure, if the next 10 games go like I think they will. Draft the guy day one, work the phone over night, let those war rooms re-evaluate their plan then move him day 2.

All this is contingent on how Chip feels about Barkley as his primary backup though.

Flashes of brilliance? Tap the breaks.
Go watch him vs TB last season or Dal and Was the second time around. Even the duds he dropped vs Car and Cin weren't as bad as you'd think giving the situation he was in and how the games played out. He didn't play like a typical rookie. The numbers don't lie

Go watch him vs TB last season or Dal and Was the second time around. Even the duds he dropped vs Car and Cin weren't as bad as you'd think giving the situation he was in and how the games played out. He didn't play like a typical rookie. The numbers don't lie
He has showed steady progression with a few wtf plays mixed in. Problem is even on his top end he's not a guy that's going to win you games, if they can replace him with someone that could be that guy they'd be crazy not to. Foles has QB purgatory written all over him, talk to Cincy and Houston fans how that's gone for them.

I'm no Nick Foles fan.

Who says Foles is still on the team?
I'm begging someone to actually make some sense for me here. It's your pure guess vs my educated guess right now.

He has showed steady progression with a few wtf plays mixed in. Problem is even on his top end he's not a guy that's going to win you games, if they can replace him with someone that could be that guy they'd be crazy not to. Foles has QB purgatory written all over him, talk to Cincy and Houston fans how that's gone for them.
Again, your gut feeling vs 100's of factual data points that suggest he can be great. Who do you think will be right longterm?

I would absolutely love to see you back this up with some hard data points. To me this seems 100% strictly your gut instinct on Foles.

Again, your gut feeling vs 100's of factual data points that suggest he can be great. Who do you think will be right longterm?
No one bats 1.000, but my batting percentage is very good, so I am confident in it.

I trust my eyes A LOT more than I do numbers. Numbers, especially in football, lie. I treat numbers as stablizers, I try not to let them sway to one extreme or another if the numbers say otherwise, but in the end - eyes first. When I've changed my opinion and gone with the numbers approach after not liking what I saw I have been burned. It'd be stupid of me to continue with that approach.

Foles has improved in a couple key areas, notably getting past his first read and not panicking in adjusting to his check down. Both were big problems in college, but he is showing signs of getting past them. Still has the wtf throws coupled with poor decision making under duress, not sure he'll ever get past those issue as most QB's that have it can't get past it, and he is unproven in tight situations - 3rd down, red zone, and 4th quarter. The Tampa game last year got my attention as his 4th quarter play that day is just the type of play you want from a franchise QB, but he needs to do it again. Mediocre QB's do it every once in a while, good QB's repeat it.

No one bats 1.000, but my batting percentage is very good, so I am confident in it.I trust my eyes A LOT more than I do numbers. Numbers, especially in football, lie. I treat numbers as stablizers, I try not to let them sway to one extreme or another if the numbers say otherwise, but in the end - eyes first. When I've changed my opinion and gone with the numbers approach after not liking what I saw I have been burned. It'd be stupid of me to continue with that approach.

Foles has improved in a couple key areas, notably getting past his first read and not panicking in adjusting to his check down. Both were big problems in college, but he is showing signs of getting past them. Still has the wtf throws coupled with poor decision making under duress, not sure he'll ever get past those issue as most QB's that have it can't get past it, and he is unproven in tight situations - 3rd down, red zone, and 4th quarter. The Tampa game last year got my attention as his 4th quarter play that day is just the type of play you want from a franchise QB, but he needs to do it again. Mediocre QB's do it every once in a while, good QB's repeat it.
Your eyes are deceiving you. You can actually go and check the numbers. I'm sure someone has already did the homework for you if you google it.

I would absolutely love to see you back this up with some hard data points. To me this seems 100% strictly your gut instinct on Foles.
Most people on this site rely on data, I think it's why I continually bump heads with people here. That and I'm an #######.

I don't rely on data though, at least I don't put a priority on it. Pieces of it are helpful and help paint the picture, but it doesn't fill in the gaps. I think sites like PFF and Roto Viz have a nice start, but there's a long ways to go. We all like data because it's more comfortable to sit behind numbers but sometimes there just isn't reliable data, i.e. football. One throw could be put perfectly into the bread basket of a receiver, but if he muffs it and bats into the air and the opposition ends up with the ball it still counts as an INT. Did you see Weeden's hilarious INT this weekend? In the record book, they count exactly the same. Would you categorize those two INT's as equal?

Besides, the basis of my pick up and start Foles for the rest of the season as long as he is starting is because I think Chip Kelly's scheme will be why he is successful. Same reason I drafted Vick. I think Vick is a lousy quarterback, but as long as he's starting in this scheme he has 40+ point potential weekly. I don't know if Foles has that ceiling, but 30+? Absolutely. I don't think Foles is great, obviously, but I think he's better than Vick and I think he'll be good enough to keep Vick benched the rest of the year.

Next year? Will be fun to re-visit in February.

I'm really not sure how you can draw that conclusion, at least not from looking at his college QB. Darron Thomas, wasn't the most mobile QB. He posted a 4.8sec 40 yard dash which is essentially, Peyton Manning levels of speed. By comparison Nick Foles posted a 5.14 40 yard dash. Obviously insanely slow and slower than Thomas. My point really being that Thomas wasn't some lightning fast QB. He was smart and understood Kelly's offense and was able to make all the proper reads and progressions in the offense. That is A LOT more important to Kelly's style of offense than Vick's legs. Kelly's offense is at it's most potent when operated by someone who understands the entirety of the scheme. Someone who can read the defense, assign proper blocking, make the proper audibles and keep the offense moving at a good speed without having to think to much when they get to the line. Those are things that Vick fails at in every facet of actual game play and Foles excels at in every facet. Foles is accurate and smart. The offense on Sunday looked more crisp than it has all season under Vick and against the best defense the Eagles have faced. If Foles comes out and does this again this week? He's the starter until he gets hurt, at least in my opinion.
Say what you will about Darron Thomas' speed and athleticism, but he had about 150 rush attempts in his two years starting for Oregon/Kelly.

The Oregon QBs had 25%, 18%, 13%, and 21% of the team's rushing attempts in the 4 years Kelly was coach.

Thru 5 games this year, Vick carried about 20% of the Eagles' rushes.

Seems like a pretty important element of their offense to me. :shrug:

I dont agree with the bold. He showed the ability just a week ago to play at a pretty high level, on the road.

You mentioned above about trusting your eyes and in all honesty I dont see MANY from him. He had issues last season with turnovers and I guess I expected that as a rookie and the other would be that he doesnt have a cannon for an arm, but not many do.

He is just 24 and has only 7 starts. In those 7 starts and the half against NY a couple weeks back he looks the part IMO....he doesnt look like a guy with 7 starts in a little over a year

Say what you will about Darron Thomas' speed and athleticism, but he had about 150 rush attempts in his two years starting for Oregon/Kelly.

The Oregon QBs had 25%, 18%, 13%, and 21% of the team's rushing attempts in the 4 years Kelly was coach.

Please read this all:

@Tim_McManus: Good All-22 post from @SheilKapadia: How the offense works with Nick Foles at the helm. http://t.co/FtLeeqwyYc

At the moment, the only way I see them dealing him is if he looks good and we finish say 8-8/ 9-7 and make or narrowly miss the playoffs and we still take a QB. In that scenerio I can see them trading him.

No one bats 1.000, but my batting percentage is very good, so I am confident in it.I trust my eyes A LOT more than I do numbers. Numbers, especially in football, lie. I treat numbers as stablizers, I try not to let them sway to one extreme or another if the numbers say otherwise, but in the end - eyes first. When I've changed my opinion and gone with the numbers approach after not liking what I saw I have been burned. It'd be stupid of me to continue with that approach.

Your eyes are deceiving you. You can actually go and check the numbers. I'm sure someone has already did the homework for you if you google it.
He was a massive failure in game 1 vs. Dallas last year. Took a sack on a 3rd down late but got bailed out by Damaris Johnson on a short throw on 4th taking it all the way down to the 1. Then on their last ditch effort he got strip 6'd on a sack.

Game 2 was another pile vs. Washington.

More of the same game 3 vs. Carolina. A long Bryce Brown TD run and the other was set up by a long PI penalty. With the game on the line in the 4th quarter he threw it short of the sticks on 4th down.

He played alright vs. Dallas round 2, but again this was more due to his teammates. First two TD drives were all runs and short passes. I remember his first drive out of halftime though, first time I ever watched a drive and thought - impressive work by Foles. Then he proceeded to fall apart for the rest of the game.

Before the most recent Tampa game (haven't watch it yet, hope to sometime this week), his most impressive performance to date was last year vs. Tampa, especially late.

Then he crashed back to earth to finish the season. After 7 awful quarters he tried his best in the 4th vs. Washington, he was again aided by short passes and the run game on the 1st TD drive, and it was looking like a repeat of the Tampa game in the final moments before he choked it away. That last red zone sequence was awful.

I think he managed the Giants game well and made some real nice throws late, it was a very nice start for having no practice reps. Get comfortable within the game then challenge him late. He stepped up. Albeit not against much resistance.

I dont agree with the bold. He showed the ability just a week ago to play at a pretty high level, on the road.

You mentioned above about trusting your eyes and in all honesty I dont see MANY from him. He had issues last season with turnovers and I guess I expected that as a rookie and the other would be that he doesnt have a cannon for an arm, but not many do.

He is just 24 and has only 7 starts. In those 7 starts and the half against NY a couple weeks back he looks the part IMO....he doesnt look like a guy with 7 starts in a little over a year
In most of the games he's played he's looked like the same QB I saw at Arizona.

He didn't vs. Tampa round 1 last year nor New York 2 weeks ago, I'm guessing not last week either but I haven't watched it yet. From what I've read Tampa ran their stupid zone defense, Chip just kept running guys to the open spots, and Foles found them. Again, little resistance. We'll see if rewind says the same.

The rest? Same guy - accumulates yardage between the 20's, doesn't make plays when the field shrinks or when the defense pins its ears back, prone to bad turnovers, and doesn't convert when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter.

He was a massive failure in game 1 vs. Dallas last year. Took a sack on a 3rd down late but got bailed out by Damaris Johnson on a short throw on 4th taking it all the way down to the 1. Then on their last ditch effort he got strip 6'd on a sack.

Game 2 was another pile vs. Washington.

More of the same game 3 vs. Carolina. A long Bryce Brown TD run and the other was set up by a long PI penalty. With the game on the line in the 4th quarter he threw it short of the sticks on 4th down.

He played alright vs. Dallas round 2, but again this was more due to his teammates. First two TD drives were all runs and short passes. I remember his first drive out of halftime though, first time I ever watched a drive and thought - impressive work by Foles. Then he proceeded to fall apart for the rest of the game.

Before the most recent Tampa game (haven't watch it yet, hope to sometime this week), his most impressive performance to date was last year vs. Tampa, especially late.

Then he crashed back to earth to finish the season. After 7 awful quarters he tried his best in the 4th vs. Washington, he was again aided by short passes and the run game on the 1st TD drive, and it was looking like a repeat of the Tampa game in the final moments before he choked it away. That last red zone sequence was awful.

I think he managed the Giants game well and made some real nice throws late, it was a very nice start for having no practice reps. Get comfortable within the game then challenge him late. He stepped up. Albeit not against much resistance.
Yes he showed growing pains last season. He had a decent completion percentage in some of the games and came close to 8 YPA in a lot of them.

What I've seen this year again the Giants and Tampa is a great QB. 67.21% Completion percentage, 6 TDs, 0 INTs, 127.9 QB Rating, 8.89 YPA (WHAT!? That's insane).

We need more data points obviously, but I've seen nothing against the Giants or Tampa that tell me he can't develop into one of the better fantasy QBs in the league this season.

He didn't vs. Tampa round 1 last year nor New York 2 weeks ago, I'm guessing not last week either but I haven't watched it yet. From what I've read Tampa ran their stupid zone defense, Chip just kept running guys to the open spots, and Foles found them. Again, little resistance. We'll see if rewind says the same.

The rest? Same guy - accumulates yardage between the 20's, doesn't make plays when the field shrinks or when the defense pins its ears back, prone to bad turnovers, and doesn't convert when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter.
Based on the bolded, I think you're confusing him with Vick. Foles is the tall guy who doesn't take sacks or make bad decisions and converts in the red zone. Vick's the other guy.

Based on the bolded, I think you're confusing him with Vick. Foles is the tall guy who doesn't take sacks or make bad decisions and converts in the red zone. Vick's the other guy.
Lol, Vick's exactly that, only worse. Saying Foles doesn't take sacks, make bad decisions, and plays well in the red zone is false though. It's too bad, for evaluation purposes, he doesn't draw any real defenses during the regular season to really test him. Maybe Detropit and Chicago can, too bad he didn't play vs. KC.

Please read this all:

@Tim_McManus: Good All-22 post from @SheilKapadia: How the offense works with Nick Foles at the helm. http://t.co/FtLeeqwyYc
Interesting stuff, thanks. The point remains, with Foles in the game the defense has to be less concerned about the QB running. It's one less option for them to defend against.

On the surface, that's obviously a strike against Foles, and IMO probably the biggest reason Vick won the job in preseason.

Now Foles has to show he's better than Vick at presnap reads, working through his progressions, and delivering the ball on time and on target. If he doesn't separate himself on these elements, it only makes sense to play the guy that adds the threat to run.

Now Foles has to show he's better than Vick at presnap reads, working through his progressions, and delivering the ball on time and on target. If he doesn't separate himself on these elements, it only makes sense to play the guy that adds the threat to run.
The bar is very low. He will be better, if only because Vick is awful at all of those things.

And despite the run threat, Vick did not have many designed run plays called for him.

Lol, Vick's exactly that, only worse. Saying Foles doesn't take sacks, make bad decisions, and plays well in the red zone is false though. It's too bad, for evaluation purposes, he doesn't draw any real defenses during the regular season to really test him. Maybe Detropit and Chicago can, too bad he didn't play vs. KC.
Small sample size, but I believe he's been sacked twice in 63 PA, no turnovers, 67% completion, and the Eagles' RZ efficiency has been better with Foles. The TB defense was ranked 11th IIRC before last week. Leading up to that game it was thought to be a tough test for him. Just because he did well is no reason to diminish the Tampa D.

Every QB takes sacks and makes a bad decision every so often.

Foles has been sacked 2 times in 63 drop backs or a sack every 31.5 dropbacks.

Vick was sacked 14 times in 160 drop backs or a sack every 11.42 drop backs.

That's an outrageous difference. Vick is sacked about 3 times the amount Foles has been. If you'd like we can look at 2012 as well. In 2012:

Michael Vick: Sacked 28 times in 418 dropbacks or a sack every 14.92 dropbacks.

Nick Foles: Sacked 20 times in 220 dropbacks or a sack every 14.6 dropbacks.

So yeah, in his rookie season in a different offense they were about equal in terms of their sack/drop back numbers. This season though, on a small amount of data Vick has been sacked way more than Foles. Obviously I'd need to evaluate their schedules to see if they faced better sack teams or worse sack teams this season and last season to really really dig into it. But on the surface here's your data.

Small sample size, but I believe he's been sacked twice in 63 PA, no turnovers, 67% completion, and the Eagles' RZ efficiency has been better with Foles. The TB defense was ranked 11th IIRC before last week. Leading up to that game it was thought to be a tough test for him. Just because he did well is no reason to diminish the Tampa D.
#1 Apparently my I trust Chip Kelly point is getting lost.

#2 He's played more than 2 games.

#3 Tampa has quality talent on defense, and a terrible scheme for it. Only a fool runs a base zone after trading for Revis. Again, haven't watched yet, but from what I've read Chip just called plays to exploit that zone. The previous link diagrammed a couple of those plays.

That's an outrageous difference. Vick is sacked about 3 times the amount Foles has been. If you'd like we can look at 2012 as well. In 2012:

So yeah, in his rookie season in a different offense they were about equal in terms of their sack/drop back numbers. This season though, on a small amount of data Vick has been sacked way more than Foles.
Why are you comparing Foles to Vick instead of comparing him to a good QB?

So yeah, in his rookie season in a different offense they were about equal in terms of their sack/drop back numbers. This season though, on a small amount of data Vick has been sacked way more than Foles.
Why are you comparing Foles to Vick instead of comparing him to a good QB?
vs Tampa Bay this year

Foles: 22-for-31, 296 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INT, 31 points.

Drew Brees: 26-for-46, 322 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 16 points.

Tom Brady: 25-for-36, 225 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 23 points.

Michael Vick's inj keeps getting more severe instead of getting better by the day... I wonder if that's engineered that way to make it seem like there is no way he can play this week or maybe next 2-3 so they can evaluate foles... If foles keeps playing like this and their winning, Vicks inj could seem to get worse by the day and he may just lose that starting spot. I think the writing is on the wall for VICK in philly. Esp if they go and whip the Cowgirls ###.

Users who are viewing this thread