What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Nick Foles era (1 Viewer)

Foles on Bench and starting the OAK DEF :)
What makes you think a mediocre defense facing a QB with 101.2 QB rating and no INTs a good play? Just curious...
Because I actually watch the games.

OAK has outscored KC in DEF the past 3 weeks, by the way.

And, the Eagles are absolute garbage right now, a bottom-5 team on Offense. Their OL can't block.

I doubt Coles survives the game and Barkley is a bottom-3 NFL QB when he comes in.
oof

It's gonna be tough to negatively spin Foles performance this week but im sure some posters here will find a way. Good luck.

Tied the single game record for passing touchdowns with 7. He's done it in less than 3 quarters.

He's tall (6' 4", I believe), which allows him to see over lineman and downfield. He has great vision, and he's patient. He's a pretty traditional pocket passer, he is not Vick.

That being said, if you've seen him play, you've seen the mechanics. His natural throwing style needs little to no adjusting. He's got a quick release. He doesn't have the strongest arm, but he was able to put up significant yards with Gronk out and really only one viable WR (Javon Criner, who is also a rookie this year). Playing under Mike Stoops in a pro style offense in college, I'm sure will really help him transition to the pros. He could be good THIS YEAR.

Look at what Matt Scott did to USC this weekend. That guy was Foles' backup.

IMO, he'll be the best QB to ever come out of Arizona. That's not that bold though, since Jake Plummer currently holds that title.
Was listening to FF show tonight and they had some "expert" who said Foles graded better than Luck and RG3 in the preseason - and it wasn't close.
He was probably the most pro ready QB coming out of the draft.
Foles was? No just...STAPHHHH.

If anything he was the "developmental player" that Reid was supposed to groom over the next 2 or 3 seasons.
Seems to be developing nicely.

It's gonna be tough to negatively spin Foles performance this week but im sure some posters here will find a way. Good luck.
This defense is bad. Let's be clear about that.But he's playing great.
They were top 10 coming into this game.
You thought a whiny Skins fan would consider facts?
Hi. Nick Foles played a great game today and tore apart the Raiders defense. I'm not withholding credit or being "whiny".

Well we all know that they're perceived as bad for convenience. Just like tampa.
You realize teams that don't score much (and don't get into shootouts) usually have a nice defense, yardage-wise, right? Because teams don't need to throw-throw-throw to rack up yardage and points to beat them. You actually think the Raiders are a top-10 defense in the NFL right now?

Well we all know that they're perceived as bad for convenience. Just like tampa.
You realize teams that don't score much (and don't get into shootouts) usually have a nice defense, yardage-wise, right? Because teams don't need to throw-throw-throw to rack up yardage and points to beat them. You actually think the Raiders are a top-10 defense in the NFL right now?
Can't you go to one of the threads about how bad RG3 has become and spend time there?

Can't you go to one of the threads about how bad RG3 has become and spend time there?
I'd rather not, that's a tiring subject.

Hi. Nick Foles played a great game today and tore apart the Raiders defense. I'm not withholding credit or being "whiny".
Yes you are, and yes you are.

Foles tied an NFL record today, with a ridiculous completion percentage. He was efficient and made a lot of great plays, and probably laid claim to that starting QB job going forward too.

He also played against a bad defense.

Those things can all be true at once, even coming from a Redskins fan.

Foles tied an NFL record today, with a ridiculous completion percentage. He was efficient and made a lot of great plays, and probably laid claim to that starting QB job going forward too. He also played against a bad defense.

Again top 10 before today. 12th in scoring. So yea not that bad.And that terrible Tampa defense still 14th and 18th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oakland Def is awful I'm not impressed. Soon as he plays a pretty good def expect a bad maybe awful game he is a boom or bust every week he plays.

Foles tied an NFL record today, with a ridiculous completion percentage. He was efficient and made a lot of great plays, and probably laid claim to that starting QB job going forward too. He also played against a bad defense.

Again top 10 before today. 12th in scoring. So yea not that bad.
But Foles played well against them so they suck

Again top 10 before today. 12th in scoring. So yea not that bad.
But Foles played well against them so they suck
Has nothing to do with that. I like Foles. Tried to trade for him in my dynasty leagues while Vick was still healthy, failed in all of them and hated it. Again. I like Foles.You honestly believe that the Raiders have a top-10 defense in the NFL? Stats lie, and this is common knowledge. Defenses on teams with mediocre offenses generally are ranked highly in standard yardage/points rankings because opposing offenses don't have to get into a shoot-out and pass all over them. If you think that's a talented, top-10 defense that Foles just ripped apart, okay. I'll drop it.

But I have a feeling that if before the game started someone had argued against a good Foles outing by saying he was playing a top-10 defense, you would have laughed and thought that was ridiculous. Except now it helps you feel even better about Foles' performance (and you should be feeling really good about it as it is).

You honestly believe that the Raiders have a top-10 defense in the NFL? Stats lie, and this is common knowledge. Defenses on teams with mediocre offenses generally are ranked highly in standard yardage/points rankings because opposing offenses don't have to get into a shoot-out and pass all over them. If you think that's a talented, top-10 defense that Foles just ripped apart, okay. I'll drop it.

But I have a feeling that if before the game started someone had argued against a good Foles outing by saying he was playing a top-10 defense, you would have laughed and thought that was ridiculous. Except now it helps you feel even better about Foles' performance (and you should be feeling really good about it as it is).
You obviously watch all of the Oakland games...

I can't name 5 players on their D but being 10th in yards and 12th in points is petty good IMO.

You honestly believe that the Raiders have a top-10 defense in the NFL? Stats lie, and this is common knowledge. Defenses on teams with mediocre offenses generally are ranked highly in standard yardage/points rankings because opposing offenses don't have to get into a shoot-out and pass all over them. If you think that's a talented, top-10 defense that Foles just ripped apart, okay. I'll drop it.

I can't name 5 players on their D but being 10th in yards and 12th in points is petty good IMO.
Who needs official NFL stats when we have ConnSkins eyes? THAT'S the official evaluation of an NFL defense.

:lmao: At the haters who are saying that 7 TD's against a "bad" defense is just a "meh" type of game.
Who is saying that? I can only speak for me, but I'd like you to quote the people saying what you're alleging.

It was a historical game. I said that I thought he played great. Efficient, but also made plays and tore apart that D.

I just also think that it's a bad D.

Who needs official NFL stats when we have ConnSkins eyes? THAT'S the official evaluation of an NFL defense.
So we actually aren't going to be able to have a civil conversation about whether the Oakland D actually is a top-10 NFL defense?

I don't think they are. I don't think they are talented enough. I think that when a team's defense is paired with a mediocre offense, other teams score less to beat them the majority of the time, artificially inflating their rankings in the yardage/points allowed categories.

I saw it as a Skins fan for years. We tricked ourselves into believing that we had a great, top-10 D for a long time, and gee, if we only had a good offense to go along with it! Except it became apparent that when we moved the ball more on offense and scored more, our defense allowed more yardage and more scores against opposing offenses that all of a sudden had to air it out and score more to beat us.

And that's exactly what I'm talking about.

So we actually aren't going to be able to have a civil conversation about whether the Oakland D actually is a top-10 NFL defense?

I don't think they are. I don't think they are talented enough. I think that when a team's defense is paired with a mediocre offense, other teams score less to beat them the majority of the time, artificially inflating their rankings in the yardage/points allowed categories.

I saw it as a Skins fan for years. We tricked ourselves into believing that we had a great, top-10 D for a long time, and gee, if we only had a good offense to go along with it! Except it became apparent that when we moved the ball more on offense and scored more, our defense allowed more yardage and more scores against opposing offenses that all of a sudden had to air it out and score more to beat us.

You're arguing against the league's official stats. They were an above average D coming into this game. There's no gray area in that. Same with Tampa when Foles lit them up. So what if they're not the same now, they were a top D when the Eagles played them - same as the Raiders.

You're arguing against the league's official stats. They were an above average D coming into this game. There's no gray area in that. Same with Tampa when Foles lit them up. So what if they're not the same now, they were a top D when the Eagles played them - same as the Raiders.
So you don't believe that context matters when it comes to stats? You just take them at face value? They never lie? I explained the entirety of my reasoning above. If you don't agree with my logic, and honestly can't think of instances where the "league's official stats" didn't represent the truth, then fine. There's no point in having this conversation. Or you just think I'm wrong about it, which is also fine. But if your argument is simply what you stated above, that I must be wrong because I'm arguing against "the league's official stats", then we just aren't going to agree. Stats lie all the time. And it's not because they're being manipulated or because the rankings are trying to be false. It's just an imperfect system.

So how has this team fooled us into thinking they're good when in fact they're bad. Admittedly this is the first game of theirs I've seen from beginning to end. Please tell me after 8 weeks (Indy, Jags, Broncos, Skins, Chargers, Chiefs and Steelers) how they are a bad D being 10th in yards and 12th in points coming into this game.

And please list how many games you've watched of theirs.

So how has this team fooled us into thinking they're good when in fact they're bad. Admittedly this is the first game of theirs I've seen from beginning to end. Please tell me after 8 weeks (Indy, Jags, Broncos, Skins, Chargers, Chiefs and Steelers) how they are a bad D being 10th in yards and 12th in points coming into this game.

I've watched the Indy, Broncos, Skins, and Steelers games, and felt like I watched this weeks game because it seemed like it was constantly all over the Redzone stream I run on my laptop next to the TV. But I was not watching the actual game. It has nothing to do with "fooling" or tricking anyone into thinking anything. Stats just don't tell the whole story, especially in football. Every single serious sports fan knows that. Especially extremely simple stats used to rank defenses according to raw yardage allowed or points allowed.

Do you really not understand this simple sentence:

Defenses on teams with mediocre offenses have less stats racked up on them because opposing offenses don't have to keep the pedal to the metal to keep up.

It artificially inflates the defenses ranking.

That's it, that's the entire point. There's no secret, there's no formula. The stats just don't tell the whole story because there's no context to them.

The question is which Foles is the one moving forward? The one last week or the one this week. That's what I'd like to hear discussed. He was I Jared last week. Perhaps it was worse than we thought.

I've watched the Indy, Broncos, Skins, and Steelers games, and felt like I watched this weeks game because it seemed like it was constantly all over the Redzone stream I run on my laptop next to the TV. But I was not watching the actual game. It has nothing to do with "fooling" or tricking anyone into thinking anything. Stats just don't tell the whole story, especially in football. Every single serious sports fan knows that. Especially extremely simple stats used to rank defenses according to raw yardage allowed or points allowed.

Do you really not understand this simple sentence:

Defenses on teams with mediocre offenses have less stats racked up on them because opposing offenses don't have to keep the pedal to the metal to keep up.

It artificially inflates the defenses ranking.

That's it, that's the entire point. There's no secret, there's no formula. The stats just don't tell the whole story because there's no context to them.
My final attempt then I'm done witcha. Prove the below or stop:

This defense is bad. Let's be clear about that.

@derek_boyko: Foles completed 8-of-10 throws at least 15 yds downfield for 256 yds & 4TDs. Raiders had allowed 1 TD on throws at least 15 yards all season

The question is which Foles is the one moving forward? The one last week or the one this week. That's what I'd like to hear discussed. He was I Jared last week. Perhaps it was worse than we thought.
Exactly. His inconsistency can be a fantasy football team's killer.

Users who are viewing this thread